PDA

View Full Version : PHP Ported Intake Manifold?

BruteForce
08-25-2004, 11:22 AM
Something new I hadn't seen on Paul's High Performance site before is this new PHP Ported Intake Manifold. Kit looks to include the PHP Spacer (which I already have).

link to PHP Ported Intake Manifold page (http://secure-order-area.net/paulshp/cgi-bin/webstorecgi/webstore.cgi?page=700010&type=&frame=)

Claims to add up to 25 ponies. Any one have the 411 on this? At $270, it seems to be a low cost boost.

2003 MIB
08-25-2004, 12:26 PM
It's on my list. I wasn't crazy about the core charge but will soon have a spare manifold to send off. Extrude honing is a neat process- kinda like the Play-Dough fun factory- a thick abrasive goo is pushed through the holes creating smoother bores. I think the logic is sound.

SergntMac
08-25-2004, 03:18 PM
Claims to add up to 25 ponies. Any one have the 411 on this? At $270, it seems to be a low cost boost.
Who could disagree with 25 ponies for 270 bucks? I can't. Why don't those interested set up a core exchange system? Send in your core for polishing, and once it's on your car, ship your old intake to the next on the list?

Fourth Horseman
08-25-2004, 03:21 PM
I like the idea of this a lot (warranty concerns not withstanding). I wonder if we could combine this with a port/polish job our heads for even greater gains?

Brutus
08-25-2004, 04:31 PM
I thought Dennis tested this piece and determined that he didnt gain enough to justify the cost.

Silver_04
08-25-2004, 08:28 PM
Subscribing. Gonna check the Mustang sites too and see if anyone has done this. I seem to remember this being mentioned in Muscle Mustangs or 5.0 Mustang magazine-can some one see if they can dig it up.

MENINBLK
08-25-2004, 09:28 PM
Something new I hadn't seen on Paul's High Performance site before is this new PHP Ported Intake Manifold. Kit looks to include the PHP Spacer (which I already have).

link to PHP Ported Intake Manifold page (http://secure-order-area.net/paulshp/cgi-bin/webstorecgi/webstore.cgi?page=700010&type=&frame=)

Extrude Honing was used on the Upper and Lower Intakes of the SVT Duratec 24V V6 Engine, of the SVT Contour.
It was responsible for 5 HP gains between the 98/99 & 2000 model years.

Silver_04
08-26-2004, 03:48 AM
I was hoping for more info, but still a good read. Linky (http://www.musclemustangfastfords.com/tech/0210mmff_airflow/index.html)

Brutus
08-26-2004, 04:25 AM
I know every one is waiting I may have numbers tomorrow My car is on the dyno now I will do this in the morning I want a base run, my car has exhaust chip Densos and stat and 4:10's, I then will change the intake and look at the numbers

Well I have done a Dyno test on my car the intake did not make enough RWHP to justify this expence now, I may have Jerry tune the car and see if we can get the numbers to come up, again I test every thing I sell, I want tomake every one happy when I can so lets just wait a bit longer

This is what Dennis had from previous expierence

martyo
08-26-2004, 04:27 AM
I was hoping for more info, but still a good read. Linky (http://www.musclemustangfastfords.com/tech/0210mmff_airflow/index.html)

Excellent link Chris. Thanks!

FordNut
08-26-2004, 04:55 AM
Well I have done a Dyno test on my car the intake did not make enough RWHP to justify this expence now, I may have Jerry tune the car and see if we can get the numbers to come up, again I test every thing I sell, I want tomake every one happy when I can so lets just wait a bit longer

This is what Dennis had from previous expierence

At the time the price was considerably higher. At $270, I'll probably do it. Hopefully that's not a misprint. Look at their website listing for the Mach1 polished intake.

FordNut
08-26-2004, 05:21 AM
At the time the price was considerably higher. At $270, I'll probably do it. Hopefully that's not a misprint. Look at their website listing for the Mach1 polished intake.
Testing the price now. Placed online order without core (will be sending the one I have coming from Nathan). We'll see if the order goes through.

Brutus
08-26-2004, 05:26 AM
Yea I have seen it and it looks good but I was hesitant due to what Dennis found, and I have never heard anymore. I wonder If the lowers are the same between the Mach 1 and Marauder or are they different too? If they are different it might explain why Dennis didnt see any great change. I hope you find something concrete, cause I am definetely interested in this. Very good HP per dollar ratio if you get the gains that Pauls claims

Brutus
08-26-2004, 05:32 AM
I just checked Pauls site again and under the Mach 1 link the ported manifold has a cost of 1200.00 but under the Marauder link it is 270.00. There must be a misprint somewhere. Hopefully it will be to the benifit of the consumer (us)!

FordNut
08-26-2004, 05:37 AM
Yea I have seen it and it looks good but I was hesitant due to what Dennis found, and I have never heard anymore. I wonder If the lowers are the same between the Mach 1 and Marauder or are they different too? If they are different it might explain why Dennis didnt see any great change. I hope you find something concrete, cause I am definetely interested in this. Very good HP per dollar ratio if you get the gains that Pauls claims
I doubt the HP gains that are advertised, especially after Dennis' test results. But it will probably be beneficial on a supercharged motor. The lowers are the same on the MM and the Mach1.

Brutus
08-26-2004, 05:44 AM
I doubt the HP gains that are advertised, especially after Dennis' test results. But it will probably be beneficial on a supercharged motor. The lowers are the same on the MM and the Mach1.
Gettin ready for a S/C eh? Sweet. By the way, Kawasaki Eliminator, nice bike! Awesome 0-60

FordNut
08-26-2004, 10:40 AM
As I suspected it was a misprint on the website. It is $1200.00. They have 2 days labor in hand polishing plus $500 in final extrude hone costs invested in the intake, so there is no way they can sell it for $270.

BruteForce
08-26-2004, 11:27 AM
:censor: :razz:

Need I say more?

2003 MIB
08-26-2004, 12:18 PM
:censor: :razz:

Need I say more?
No but I'll say it too!!
This impacts my plans. grrrrrrrr!

Ross
08-30-2004, 10:36 AM
I was kind of wondering why the new, improved version only costs $270.00, but the core charge for the OEM version was $1,200.00.

SouLRioT
08-30-2004, 11:16 AM
I was kind of wondering why the new, improved version only costs $270.00, but the core charge for the OEM version was $1,200.00.

to my knowalge, your not paying $270 for a whole new manifold, but really the work involved. Because if you went and bought a brand new one it would be $1,470 instead. You sending them your old manifold lessens the price.

Pops
02-27-2007, 07:58 AM
The Stage II intake has made a minimum of 28 rwhp on a 2004 Mach1 equipped with Bassani mid length headers. The combo is what makes the power, headers plus the ported, polished & extrudehoned intake.

94_302
02-27-2007, 08:09 AM
For an alternative, contact orangeblast on mach1registry.com he ports them for maybe 3 or 400 I believe. I have also heard that Nazman did or does port intakes, he is on svtperformance.com and mach1registry.com I think the reason why the cobras and mach 1 may see more of a gain than us is that we have a weaker crank, so we can not rev as high (which is where most of the gains come from IIRC) however from what I remember there are still significant gains under the curve. For someone building an N/A car it's worth looking into imo. I think anywhere from 10-20 in hp or tq can be expected depending on the exhaust setup, not bad for the price (orangeblast) oh and the 3-400 that I recall is you sending him your lower. Or he can send you one and you can send your lower later and be refunded the core cost. I havent looked into it in a while so I may be mistaken and I have not asked Nazman about his portwork, if he even still does it, but since he has built an N/A MONSTER I would say he has a good idea on the subject.

magindat
02-27-2007, 08:36 AM
Um pay attention. This beauty is $1200.

juno
02-27-2007, 09:19 AM
I second the orangeblast part, but FYI, we have the same crank as auto MACH1's and we can rev as high as them. I believe our stock torque converter was the reason for the RPM limitation. A NA marauder with an aftermarket TC should be able to rev to 6500 or a little more til the valves start floating. if someone can get some gains up there, go for it. Personally, I would leave it at under 6500 unless you want every erg out of it.

For an alternative, contact orangeblast on mach1registry.com he ports them for maybe 3 or 400 I believe. I have also heard that Nazman did or does port intakes, he is on svtperformance.com and mach1registry.com I think the reason why the cobras and mach 1 may see more of a gain than us is that we have a weaker crank, so we can not rev as high (which is where most of the gains come from IIRC) however from what I remember there are still significant gains under the curve. For someone building an N/A car it's worth looking into imo. I think anywhere from 10-20 in hp or tq can be expected depending on the exhaust setup, not bad for the price (orangeblast) oh and the 3-400 that I recall is you sending him your lower. Or he can send you one and you can send your lower later and be refunded the core cost. I havent looked into it in a while so I may be mistaken and I have not asked Nazman about his portwork, if he even still does it, but since he has built an N/A MONSTER I would say he has a good idea on the subject.

Raudermaster
02-27-2007, 09:47 AM
That's a lot of coin for not a lot of HP. I wonder what is the right combo to make this worth while?

Dennis Reinhart
02-27-2007, 09:51 AM

I had mine extrude honed

Pops
02-27-2007, 09:55 AM
Dennis how about some more explanition on this.

Dennis Reinhart
02-27-2007, 10:02 AM
Dennis how about some more explanition on this.

Paul does a hand port and on the Mach 1 they showed a very good Gain, but the labor involved its very expensive, Extrude hone is much quicker and less expensive.

http://www.extrudehone.com/

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD>Extrude Hone is dedicated to innovating and providing advanced manufacturing processes to produce some of the highest quality engineered surfaces and edges on the planet. A menu of technologies and equipment for deburring, polishing, and producing controlled radii are available to our customers for improving the strength, performance, and overall reliability of the components they produce.

I gained over 30 RWHP but my Mark 8 was SC I do feel this is worth the money.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

94_302
02-27-2007, 10:04 AM
I second the orangeblast part, but FYI, we have the same crank as auto MACH1's and we can rev as high as them. I believe our stock torque converter was the reason for the RPM limitation. A NA marauder with an aftermarket TC should be able to rev to 6500 or a little more til the valves start floating. if someone can get some gains up there, go for it. Personally, I would leave it at under 6500 unless you want every erg out of it.

Yeah I was comparing to 5 spd Machs and Cobras. I believe they can rev higher than an auto Mach. I can't recall seeing a dyno graph of an auto mach with the intake work done.

Also Orangeblast not only ports it but he also cuts it to shorten the runners, which I believe is why the machs get a pretty good gain up top. I think Nazman did the same but again I am not familiar with the ported ones he did or is still doing. Yeah the PHP one is a lot of coin but Orangeblast is relatively cheap in comparison.

John F. Russo
03-02-2007, 08:45 AM
I haven't seen a post from you in a while. Good to see you back.

John F. Russo
03-02-2007, 08:47 AM
Who could disagree with 25 ponies for 270 bucks? I can't. Why don't those interested set up a core exchange system? Send in your core for polishing, and once it's on your car, ship your old intake to the next on the list?

Zack
03-02-2007, 09:05 AM

That post was 3 years ago John.