PDA

View Full Version : cobra manifolds vs MM manifolds

cutt
08-26-2004, 10:49 PM
can someone explain the diffference between the two. what makes the cobra manifolds so much better.

BUCKWHEAT
08-27-2004, 07:04 PM
what makes the cobra manifolds so much better.[/QUOTE]

I put them in so I had one in each hand, old and new. The obvious difference is the size, just plain bigger. And they dump into the bigger pipes as well. Perhaps our more techie guys can add to the party here.

BillyGman
08-27-2004, 07:41 PM
Yep, they have a bigger inner diameter, so they're less restrictive than the stock exhaust manifolds of the Marauders. Which BTW is the same reason why headers are even better. They're even less restrictive. The setback w/headers though is that they're more difficult to install (although they're worth it IMO) and since the walls of the header pipes are thinner than those of exhaust manifolds, they are more susceptible to greater vibrations. I'm talking about vibrations that cannot be heard or felt from inside or outside the vehicle, but vibrations that can eventually loosen the header bolts. And header bolt coming loose is often a problem. And there just isn't enough room in there to use a torque wrench on header bolts, so that can compound the problem.

But it's for that reason that I went through the extra hassle of installing the Stage 8 brand locking header bolts. They won't back off like regular header bolts often do. That's one of the major reasons for header gasket leaks. Sorry to get off topic a little bit here. I'm just trying to be informative.

1 BAD 03 MM
08-28-2004, 02:32 AM
Good info, and the timeslips prove it.

SergntMac
08-28-2004, 06:31 AM
Think of the 4.6 DOHC engine as a large air pump, the more air you can push through the engine, the more power it produces. Inhale...Exhale...

Wether you choose headers, or, Cobra manifolds, both will exhale better than the OEM manifold. Moreover, both kits will improve other critical areas. 2.5" OD exhaust pipes, high flow cats, and X pipe provide half of your total gains over the stock exhaust system. if you're concerned about better breathing at all, the decision to upgrade is easy, just do it. Which kit best benefits your situation, or, intended goal, is a separate decision.

If you're on a tight budget, the Cobra kit is less expensive, both in product and install costs. The performance gain is a guaranteed bang for the buck investment too. Better heat and vibration management, and a clean OEM appearance.

If you're into serious racing, we've proven that the Kook's header produce some serious power. You will part with a few more bucks, both in product and install costs, but again, the performance gain is a guaranteed bang for the buck investment. You'll loose some stealth, and have some install issues, vibration issues, and possibly some heat issues down the road, but no one I've ever know over my entire life, ever escaped these issues common with headers.

Like other mods, there is no one best way to go, unless you just want to be one of the crowd. Think about how you drive your MM, what purpose it serves in your life, and pick the kit that fits your needs first.

RF Overlord
08-28-2004, 07:08 AM
THAT^^^ is one of the best replies to a "which mod do I choose?" question I have ever read...it applies to not only the exhaust, but to almost every mod you might do... :trophy:

merc
08-28-2004, 10:21 AM
I have debated this issue between Cobra manifolds and Kook headers for months before I made my decision. Billy Gman talked to me on the phone during his lunch break to give me installation instructions and purchasing tips. Thank you for your time and patience Billy. In the end I purchased the DR Cobra manifolds because I was having my transmission rebuilt and I could save additional money in the install because the tranny was not an obstacle. The second reason is because Dennis was able to ship the complete exhaust the next day.

I once believed that the Kook system was the only way to go, but now I am re-thinking that idea once again. In the last two years our knowledge about this car have grown and the vendor offerings have expanded. Not to say we have an abundance of choices, but one could go into serious debt trying to keep up with all that is offered.

After many months of struggling with my investments and now I think I have this combination working in a positive direction. My last track times were 13.848 with DR Cobra manifolds on a N/A Marauder. Not the grease lighting times that Barry lays down, or Brian, but very respectable. SergntMac spelled it out as best as it could be explained. Now it’s up to you to make a choice and have some fun.

FiveO
08-28-2004, 10:47 AM
Nice time merc....very nice.

:up:

Its all personal choice. Go with what you can live with.

BillyGman
08-28-2004, 11:28 AM
Wow Merc, it seems rare these days that people actually thank others for their time and effort to help out. I appreciate the fact that you have. You're quite welcome. I hope that I myself have remembered to show those who've helped me out some appreciation by thanking them also. I believe that I have.

I've had headers on three different cars to my rememberence. My 69 Roadrunner and my 73 Vette, and ofcourse now, my Marauder. I didn't have the Roadrunner for that long, but I owned and drove the Vette for 6 years with headers the entire time. The only problems that I ever had w/those headers was the starter getting heat soak since the starter and solenoid were right next to the passenger side header primary tubes, and some of the header bolts loosening up from time to time which required me to retighten them.

The starter problem caused the engine to be pretty tough to start after a long drive on a hot summer day, but that was solved with some heat reflective starter wrap that I bought online from www.summitracing.com (http://www.summitracing.com/) and I never bothered to do anything about the occassional need to retighten the header bolts which sometimes loosened due to the increased vibration of headers which both MAC and I have mentioned in our posts in this thread. Again, this isn't the type of vibration that can be heard nor felt by the driver or passengers, nor by on-lookers, but it will cause some of the header bolts to loosen eventually.

With the Kooks headers, I'm a bit doubtful that you would have problems with radiated heat, and therefore with heat soaking of the starter and solenoid as long as you have them ceramic coated like I have and like some other members of this board have had also, since that reduces the heat. However, to be absolutely sure that I wouldn't have any heat related starter problems, I bought some starter heat wrap from Summit Racing and wrapped the starter on my Marauder during the Kooks header installation just as I did with my 73 Vette when I had it. The wrap that I bought has velcro so it won't come off.

And those Stage 8 locking header bolts that I've made mention of in my previous post will prevent the header bolts from backing off, so I'm covered there too. So that's just some info and clarification for those who love headers like I do. I don't dispute the power gain that can be acheived with Dennis Reinhart's manifolds, nor what MAC has made mention of in his post about the additional need to open up the rest of the Marauder exhaust to aquire any signifigant power gains. I agree with him on that.

Furthermore, I'll be the first to admit that the power gain that you'll acheive from headers over and above the Reinhart manifolds would show up on the dyno, but would still be so small that you wouldn't notice it while driving on the street. I've always said on this board and I'll continue to maintain my theory that you're not going to notice a 5 or 10 HP gain when you drive the car.

Yes, if you install the entire Kooks exhaust package on your Marauder, or the entire Reinhart exhaust package, there will be enough of a HP gain with either system over and above the stock exhaust for you to notice an acceleration gain. Don't expect your car to feel like a different vehicle, nor one that's Supercharged simply from an exhaust change, but there will me a modest difference in the way the car accelerates. And for under 2K that isn't a bad deal like MAC said. But if you were to go from the Reinhart package to the Kooks package, even though you would see a slight gain on the dyno,and maybe even a very slight difference in your ET's at the track, it wouldn't be enough to notice while you were driving the car on the street. We're talking a small difference.

So that's why there's no right or wrong way to go when it comes to the two different exhaust packages offered to us by the vendors on this board. Like MAC stated, it's merely a matter of preference. I've alsways been a HP nut, and I'm crazy about drag racing. And I've always seen headers on all the really serious drag cars. I'm talking about the ones that get trailered into the dragstrip. And they're never shorty headers, or "block hugger" headers either. So the reason for my preference of the Kooks headers is simply because I've always equated headers with serious performance, and in my veiw, if I'm going to even bother going through the work and time to remove the stock manifolds as well as a good portion of the rest of the stock exhaust, then I'm also going to put the extra effort that it takes to install headers too, rather than replacing the stock manifolds with other ones, or even with shorty headers. That's simply my preference, and my line of thinking. But there are pluses and minuses with both choices, so there isn't a right and wrong here. Both choices will yield a performance gain over and above the stock configuration, as well as improve the way your Marauder sounds IMO.

HwyCruiser
08-28-2004, 12:33 PM
Well said by all. I'll try not to make this thread turn bad...

If you really want a level of comfort prior to investing vaulable mod $$$, I would suggest studying a side-by-side comparison of the dyno curves of similarly modified Marauders with the two different exhaust options. The info is in the gallary, the homework is yours to do. Just be sure to compare the overall hp & tq curves and air fuel ratios. Lean a/f can add peak horsepower, but a good dyno tune will sacrifice peak hp for sake of engine safety and generally result in smoother hp & tq curves.

In my studying the dyno charts of two similarly modified n/a Marauders, the Kooks tuned out a tad leaner that the Cobra exhaust. Nature of the beast? The major difference in the tq curves on these two dynos is that the Kooks hangs in there after 5200 rpm a bit more than the Cobra exhaust, allowing the Kooks hp curve to stay pretty flat after 5200 rpm. The hp & tq curves are virtually identical up to that point and the sustained peak tq was in the same rpm range. The +10 recorded peak hp was but a bobble at 6000 rpm. A agree with Billy, something that you probably won't feel, but may be worth a few hundredths to you on the track.

I've read plenty of our Marauders benefit differently from the same modifications, so my disclaimer to all this is to point out that the only scientifically valid comparison would be to install and dyno tune them individually on your car in the same atmospheric conditions. You'd then have to weigh the dyno'ed bang for the buck yourself and see which kit to sell at a loss. Then we could claim the winner for your car, but what about another? My point along with many others here is that both are tested performance enhancers that you have to segment small portions of the graphs to point out the differences.

After Indy the real difference became clear in my mind. The sound and looks of the Kooks setup may be worth the price of admission alone. Hearing the kick-sand-in-your-face tone and cackle of the Kooks and the yes-sir-thats-hot-rod looks made me forget the research and just say dayum. Then the wife pinched me and I came back to reality.

- JD

BillyGman
08-28-2004, 01:03 PM
Ya know, now that you've mentioned it JD, I remember that when I had made my decision to purchase the Kooks exhaust package, one of my desires was to have the car sound like a hotrod. I didn't want it to be so loud that it would be as annoying as a Harley motorcylce can be with straight pipes blasting through the neighborhood at 2:00am, but I wanted it to be louder than the stock exhaust system was, and to have a healthy, and well tuned type of high performance V8 sound. You can have a loud car that simply sounds like it had a muffler fall off of it, and like it belongs in the scrap heap, or you can have a car that's somewhat loud and sounds powerfull. I wanted the latter.

But my thinking also was (and still is) that headers will add to the performance sound more than any shorty headers would or exhaust manifolds would. Although not as much as a good free flowing muffler will. But out of the other Marauders I've had the opportunity to hear that have the Reinhart exhaust manifolds, all of them also had different mufflers than my car does. So even though I've felt that my car sounds better than the other Marauders I've heard, I cannot say for sure if it was simply because of the headers making the difference in the sound. I'm sure that they do make a difference and that it's a positive differnce IMO, but I don't know how noticeable that differnce would be if you had two Marauders to compare with the exact same mufflers, but one with the Kooks headers, and one with the Reinhart re-worked ported manifolds.Unfortunately I wasn't at Indy for Marauderville II so I haven't had the chance to hear as many different Marauder exhaust notes as you have. Was there anyone there who had the Reinhart exhaust along with the 18" Magnaflow mufflers like most of the Kooks guys do?

the Kooks exhaust package includes the 18" magnaflow "wide open" stainless steel mufflers, while many of the Marauder owners who have the Reinhart exaust package have chosen different mufflers. I believe there are some who have also chosen the magnaflow mufflers as most Kooks customers have, but I haven't heard any of them yet for myself. Overall though, I think that headers also add to the performance sound of the exhaust system. And that's because the walls of the primary tubes are thinner than the walls of exhaust manifolds, so the exhaust pulses coming directly out of the cylinder heads can be heard a little more when you wind up the motor. I luv it!!!! Infact just writing about it makes me want to go out right now and fire it up and take it for a joyride!!!!

FiveO
08-28-2004, 02:48 PM
**snip** I luv it!!!! Infact just writing about it makes me want to go out right now and fire it up and take it for a joyride!!!!

Amen! :run: :rock:

:party:

HwyCruiser
08-28-2004, 06:43 PM
Billy,

I have the Cobra exhaust with the 2.5" wide-open Magnaflows and extensions. I used to have a video posted in the gallery that illustrated the sound outside and inside the car, but I pulled it off after it stopped getting hits and now uploading videos has been banned (too bad someone had to take advantage of the Logan's generosity and ruin the ability to exhange good information, but I digress).

Anyway, I received several positive comments on the exhaust at Indy. I drove behind Buckwheat on the way over to Indy and he has the Cobra exhaust with Flowmasters which sound very similar. The Cobra/Maganflow/Flowmaster combo definately sounds sweet, but to be honest there's nothing like the Kooks setup for that who's-your-daddy sound.

I think we can agree that exhaust sound personal preference. I ran the Cobra exhaust with the stock mufflers for a few months and I liked it well enough, it was just a little understated. Some like this attribute though, such as NAVCHAP with his "Indy's Wildest Marauder" DR Stg III with shorties and stock mufflers (like the whistle and racing stripes weren't going to tip someone off that something was up :loco: - j/k Keith). On my car, the 2-1/2" Magnaflow's and extensions had negligible effect on the Indy dynotune from the previous baseline with the OEM mufflers, which supports the arguement that the stockers are pretty good to start with.

The best/nastiest sounding exhaust I heard at Indy was the stock manifolds with straight pipes that both Big Joe P's KB and Jrzygrl's n/a MMs were running. I think I remember Big Joe posting that after Indy he had the Kooks installed with straight pipes but it was too wild sounding for even him.

Personally, I don't have the guts to run either the Kooks setup or straight pipes without an s/c, I would need the extra muscle to back up the smack. I feel the DR setup is just right for my MM, just as you feel the Kooks setup is just right for your MM. We all have several options on exhaust mods for performance and/or sound, and thats a good thing. BTW, how was the joy ride? :D.

- JD

BillyGman
08-28-2004, 10:56 PM
LOL....I really luv driving that car so much. But I'm not allowed to post stories here.;) I agree w/you that exhaust sound is a personal preference even though I've had so many people pull up along side me and tell me how excellent my car sounds.But that's okay about that file that you lossed, because I think that the audio of exhaust notes are so much different than hearing the exhaust for yourself w/the naked ear so to speak. I heard Marty's car last year when him and I went to two different tracks to race, and his car sounded good, but it was a litle bit too quiet for my liking. Ofcourse he was running some good ET's, but that's another story, and one that's already been told anyway.

I'm a bit surprised to see you claim that the flowmasters sounded like your magnaflows, because I've heard so many Mustangs with the Flowmasters on them, and I don't like the way they sound at all, and I've noticed that they sound much different than my car even though they still have the 4.6L engine too. The ones I've heard have a very hollow sound to them as if the engine is breathing through a tin can.

Anyway, thanks for the input about the sound comparisant of the Cobra manifold and the Kooks headers. That's some good info there. especially for those who haven't made a decision yet. What you've stated has been kind of what I suspected about the differences in sound between the headers and manifolds for reasons that I've previously listed in this thread.

MENINBLK
08-28-2004, 11:33 PM
Doesn't the Marauder 4.6L DOHC V8 already come with the Cobra's Lower Intake Manifold ? :dunno:

BillyGman
08-29-2004, 01:39 AM
Doesn't the Marauder 4.6L DOHC V8 already come with the Cobra's Lower Intake Manifold ? :dunno:Not that I know of, but regardless of that, I believe Dennis Reinhart sells ported manifolds, so they will breath better than the stock Marauder manifolds do, although not quite as good as headers will. Which ofcourse is no reflection on Dennis. It simply has to do w/the inherit limitations of exhausr manifolds. But ofcourse as I've already previously stated, exhaust flow rate differences between Dennis's manifolds and the Kooks headers are miniscule. I just like that header sound as well as the way they look!!!

jakdad
08-29-2004, 05:25 AM
What does the Cobra exhaust manifold kit consist of?

SergntMac
08-29-2004, 06:28 AM
Doesn't the Marauder 4.6L DOHC V8 already come with the Cobra's Lower Intake Manifold ?
We haven't mentioned the lower intake here, you may want to start another thread on this. However, your answer is no. The lower intake is rather generic across many 4.6L DOHC applications over the last 10 years and is not exclusively a Cobra part.

What does the Cobra exhaust manifold kit consist of?
Left and right manifolds, ported, matched and jet coated, a one-piece "Y" exhaust pipe with high flow cats and X pipe mounted in place, necking down to your OEM mufflers. You can add aftermarket mufflers and resonator delete tips at your leisure.

BTW, y'all discussing tone, rember that the MM system is longer than the Mustang, and I would presume longer deepens the tone a bit.

jakdad
08-29-2004, 07:05 AM
Thanks, Sounds expensive. I don't think Bassani has a system for our cars yet, but it would probably be as costly as the Ford pieces.

Dan
08-29-2004, 07:58 AM
This is an interesting thread and has caused me to have some questions.

1. What is the HP increase that one can expect by doing a Cobra head swap?

2. Will the Cobra heads work with the Kooks install? I am assuming yes.

3. Will the Cobra heads work with the Trilogy?

Thanks.

Best,

Dan

SergntMac
08-29-2004, 10:15 AM
Just my .02c now...Go easy on me.

I can't say the two heads are the same, but I'm treating them as such. I don't expect a remarkable difference between them, nor any benefit from a swap. Maybe cam grinds differ for a Cobra, but I'm not sure about that either. I just never heard anyone speak of a difference and I'm sure if there was a way of making power from a swap, someone surely would be selling us on the program.

FR500 heads, well now yer talking, bub. Zoom zoom zoom...

Oh, BTW, about the Cobra exhaust kit someone mentioned ^ there...Other than the manifolds themselves, it's all Bassani for FMC.

Dan
08-29-2004, 10:46 AM
FR500 heards? What are those?

They sound cool from the way you talk of them.

Dan

Donny Carlson
08-29-2004, 11:05 AM
FR500 heards? What are those?

They sound cool from the way you talk of them.

Dan

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField= 5398

http://www.fordracingparts.com/images/part/full/M6049T46.jpg

BUCKWHEAT
08-29-2004, 11:36 AM
This is an interesting thread and has caused me to have some questions.

1. What is the HP increase that one can expect by doing a Cobra head swap?

2. Will the Cobra heads work with the Kooks install? I am assuming yes.

3. Will the Cobra heads work with the Trilogy?

Thanks.

Best,

Dan

Dan, I remember reading in one of the mags (MM&FF, Mustang Monthly etc) that the Marauder head was the best there is to date, including the Cobra. The F500 head can't be found according to the article. Perhaps one of the guys not suffering from senile dementia remembers the artice and can cite it. Regards.

Donny Carlson
08-29-2004, 12:40 PM
Dan, I remember reading in one of the mags (MM&FF, Mustang Monthly etc) that the Marauder head was the best there is to date, including the Cobra. The F500 head can't be found according to the article. Perhaps one of the guys not suffering from senile dementia remembers the artice and can cite it. Regards.
Bleakley Ford's FRP department lists them available for sale, $715.00 each.

Dan
08-29-2004, 01:26 PM
Thanks for the links, guys. From what I saw in a quick look these are my critiques.

99-02 4.6 4V engine. :down:
$1400-1600 per set. Not bad until you add in the $1400.00 cost for the cams, rods, lifters, etc. :down:
No way to verify that their enhanced breathing ability will give the 60 HP over an MM head. :down:
Not recommended for use on 2003 supercharged Cobras. I am planning on supercharging.:down:

So, it looks like I might be down on the idea for right now. Does anyone have additional info or data that might look positive for our cars?

Best,

Dan

BillyGman
08-29-2004, 01:43 PM
[QUOTE=SergntMac]We haven't mentioned the lower intake here, you may want to start another thread on this. However, your answer is no. The lower intake is rather generic across many 4.6L DOHC applications over the last 10 years and is not exclusively a Cobra part.

OOOOOOOOPS! I didn't even realize that he was asking about INTAKE manifolds. I was so much into thinking about the exhaust componenets in this thread that I completely overlooked that in his question. Good catch MAC!!!!

jakdad
08-29-2004, 01:50 PM
Thanks for the links, guys. From what I saw in a quick look these are my critiques.

99-02 4.6 4V engine. :down:
$1400-1600 per set. Not bad until you add in the $1400.00 cost for the cams, rods, lifters, etc. :down:
No way to verify that their enhanced breathing ability will give the 60 HP over an MM head. :down:
Not recommended for use on 2003 supercharged Cobras. I am planning on supercharging.:down:

So, it looks like I might be down on the idea for right now. Does anyone have additional info or data that might look positive for our cars?

Best,

Dan
If you are going to SC, use the Cobra heads and have them extrude honed and whatever other upgrades you want, such as valves, cams, valve springs, etc. you wont be disappointed.

BillyGman
08-29-2004, 01:58 PM
BTW, y'all discussing tone, rember that the MM system is longer than the Mustang, and I would presume longer deepens the tone a bit.Hmmmmm, an interesting point MAC. I'm not really sure. I believe that having additional length to the exhaust system would also cause the sound to be different. But exactly in what way, that I don't know. I tend to think that it simply makes it slightly quieter than that of a Mustang, and not neccessarily "deeper". Infact I'm convinced that while we can make the exhaust note louder or quieter w/different exhaust components on our cars (and on any other given cars for that matter) and while we can also acheive different sounds too, as far as actually making the tone higher or deeper, I think that's pretty much determined by the displacement of the engine in question. As I'm sure that you know, bigger displacement engines will simply have a deeper tone to the exhaust note.

That's one thing I now miss about the 73 Vette that I sold earlier this year. It had a 350 under the hood (a "5.7L" for you metric guys) and it simply had a deeper tone to the exhaust than my Marauder ever had. And the same goes for the 98 Camaro SS that I raced, as well as all the Impala SS cars that I raced at the track too (as you know, they also have 5.7L engines). Sorry to ramble on. As much as I luv my Marauder, and how fast it is, I just still miss having some bigger displacement under the hood simply because of that sound. I'm sure that the Ford Lightning truck also has a deeper tone to the exhaust note than our Marauders do, simply because of it's engine being a 5.4L. Just as our Marauder have a deeper exhaust note than a 1.8L Rice-A-Roni machine.

89lxbill
08-29-2004, 02:46 PM
Marauder, 03-04 Cobra, Mach-I and Aviator heads all the same. As well as cams.

jakdad
08-29-2004, 03:41 PM
Hmmmmm, an interesting point MAC. I'm not really sure. I believe that having additional length to the exhaust system would also cause the sound to be different. But exactly in what way, that I don't know. I tend to think that it simply makes it slightly quieter than that of a Mustang, and not neccessarily "deeper". Infact I'm convinced that while we can make the exhaust note louder or quieter w/different exhaust components on our cars (and on any other given cars for that matter) and while we can also acheive different sounds too, as far as actually making the tone higher or deeper, I think that's pretty much determined by the displacement of the engine in question. As I'm sure that you know, bigger displacement engines will simply have a deeper tone to the exhaust note.

That's one thing I now miss about the 73 Vette that I sold earlier this year. It had a 350 under the hood (a "5.7L" for you metric guys) and it simply had a deeper tone to the exhaust than my Marauder ever had. And the same goes for the 98 Camaro SS that I raced, as well as all the Impala SS cars that I raced at the track too (as you know, they also have 5.7L engines). Sorry to ramble on. As much as I luv my Marauder, and how fast it is, I just still miss having some bigger displacement under the hood simply because of that sound. I'm sure that the Ford Lightning truck also has a deeper tone to the exhaust note than our Marauders do, simply because of it's engine being a 5.4L. Just as our Marauder have a deeper exhaust note than a 1.8L Rice-A-Roni machine.
The 5.7s were also push rod engines.

jakdad
08-29-2004, 03:50 PM
Marauder, 03-04 Cobra, Mach-I and Aviator heads all the same. As well as cams. So the different compression ratios are all in the pistons? That being the case, a person could use MM heads on a blower set up by changing pistons.

merc
08-29-2004, 04:36 PM
can someone explain the diffference between the two. what makes the cobra manifolds so much better.

This tread started on the exhaust manifolds then turned into the intakes,pistons, and engine designed. Very informative but a new tread is needed. :Offtopic: My .02 cents.

Dan
08-29-2004, 04:41 PM
Merc,

May I suggest that you start the new topic? I don't mean that disrespectfully. It seems like a good solution, that's all.

I don't see anyone else doing anything about this except to continue commenting here on one of the topics that this thread has evolved into. My thinking is that if that is the course of action you recommend then the logical thing to do would be to take it upon yourself to take that course of action. :up:

Best,

Dan

merc
08-29-2004, 05:10 PM
Merc,

May I suggest that you start the new topic? I don't mean that disrespectfully. It seems like a good solution, that's all.

I don't see anyone else doing anything about this except to continue commenting here on one of the topics that this thread has evolved into. My thinking is that if that is the course of action you recommend then the logical thing to do would be to take it upon yourself to take that course of action. :up:

Best,

Dan

New tread started Dan. http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=12418

BillyGman
08-29-2004, 05:39 PM
The 5.7s were also push rod engines.
True, but that isn't the reason for the deeper exhaust tone. The 2005 Ford GT has a deeper tone too, as does the Ford Lightning engine, and neither one of those are pushrod engines. It's simply because they have bigger displacements than the 4.6L Marauder engines do. BTW, if anyone including the member who started this thread cares to comment on the original topic and thus steer things back on topic, then they are always welcome by everyone to do so. Right?

Dan
08-29-2004, 05:50 PM

I think that the answer was given and then we wandered into other "gearhead" type talk.

That may be the reason why this off topic detour has seemed so natural for us. Once on point was covered we picked up on another.

:)

Best,

Dan

PS: Blame it on sarge for talking about the FR500 heads. It's all his fault. It is all his fault. :)

BillyGman
08-29-2004, 06:00 PM
I think that the answer was given and then we wandered into other "gearhead" type talk.

That may be the reason why this off topic detour has seemed so natural for us. Once on point was covered we picked up on another.

:)

Yep.........

Dan
08-29-2004, 06:35 PM
I'm so smart. :lol:

BillyGman
08-29-2004, 06:47 PM
I'm so smart. :lol:
yeah, and humble too......

MENINBLK
08-30-2004, 02:39 AM
Not that I know of, but regardless of that, I believe Dennis Reinhart sells ported manifolds, so they will breath better than the stock Marauder manifolds do, although not quite as good as headers will. Which ofcourse is no reflection on Dennis. It simply has to do w/the inherit limitations of exhausr manifolds. But ofcourse as I've already previously stated, exhaust flow rate differences between Dennis's manifolds and the Kooks headers are miniscule. I just like that header sound as well as the way they look!!!

Billy,

Just so you know, you can checkit here at the Mercury site...
http://www.mercuryvehicles.com/vehicles/marauder/performance/throttle.asp

"Adding to the Marauder's performance is a new dual-bore 57mm throttle body,
high-flow air cleaner, zip tube, upper intake and Cobra lower intake.
Increased air intake equals more power when you want it."

I thought I had read this somewhere, I just needed to find it....

BillyGman
08-30-2004, 05:18 AM
Billy,

Just so you know, you can checkit here at the Mercury site...
http://www.mercuryvehicles.com/vehicles/marauder/performance/throttle.asp

"Adding to the Marauder's performance is a new dual-bore 57mm throttle body,
high-flow air cleaner, zip tube, upper intake and Cobra lower intake.
Increased air intake equals more power when you want it."

I thought I had read this somewhere, I just needed to find it....AAAAAHHHH, thanks for the info. It's good to be well informed about this stuff, however, I guess as far as my Marauder goes, that Cobra lower intake manifold is all water under the bridge for me now, since the Trilogy Supercharger kit that I've installed on my car comes w/an intake manifold which replaces both the upper, and the lower stock intake manifolds. ;)

jakdad
08-30-2004, 07:38 AM
AAAAAHHHH, thanks for the info. It's good to be well informed about this stuff, however, I guess as far as my Marauder goes, that Cobra lower intake manifold is all water under the bridge for me now, since the Trilogy Supercharger kit that I've installed on my car comes w/an intake manifold which replaces both the upper, and the lower stock intake manifolds. ;)
And probably better pieces than the Ford!!

:rock: :rock:

SergntMac
08-30-2004, 07:46 AM
Billy, Just so you know, you can checkit here at the Mercury site..."Adding to the Marauder's performance is a new dual-bore 57mm throttle body, high-flow air cleaner, zip tube, upper intake and Cobra lower intake. Increased air intake equals more power when you want it."
Well then, this being the case, our brake pads are shared with the T/C Limo and the '03 CV/PI, and our tranny is shared with the F-150. I wonder how creative the advertising dude could have been if he knew this back then?