PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Cleaning

89VERT
08-28-2004, 09:51 AM
I've always used Simple Green to clean the wheels on all my vehicles with fairly good results.
But I've found that the recessed area around the lug nuts on the MM's wheels seem to attract alot of dirt and road grime that Simple Green can't seem to remove .

Short of using a Q Tip to get in there , are there any other suggestions ?

FiveO
08-28-2004, 09:53 AM
I was going to post a question of this sorts today also.

I take it Simple Green is ok to use on our wheels?

What about Mothers wheel polish?

Is there a coating on our rims?

To answer your question 89VERT....I'd use a rag, stuff it in there and turn. If that doesn't get it all....a Q Tip should work fine.

jgc61sr2002
08-28-2004, 11:01 AM
The wheels are clear coated. Never use any abrasives.

Lowell
08-28-2004, 11:13 AM
I also use Simple green. A power washer will get the bulk of the dirt recessed in the depression around the lug nuts, power wash after soaking. You can get your wash mit behind the wheel spokes to wash behind the spokes. After washing use a fluffy cotton towel to dry wheels. McGuires three step works well on wheels to brighten them up. If you have road tar use mineral spirits, if you have tree sap use deanured alcohol. Use three step after spirits or alcohol. No pun intended.

FiveO
08-28-2004, 12:29 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Going to the track tomorrow and cleaning her up today.

Only thing I've ever washed the wheels with so far is soap and water and a towel.

jgc61sr2002
08-28-2004, 12:44 PM
I also use Simple green. A power washer will get the bulk of the dirt recessed in the depression around the lug nuts, power wash after soaking. You can get your wash mit behind the wheel spokes to wash behind the spokes. After washing use a fluffy cotton towel to dry wheels. McGuires three step works well on wheels to brighten them up. If you have road tar use mineral spirits, if you have tree sap use deanured alcohol. Use three step after spirits or alcohol. No pun intended.

Lowell - If you use a wash mit on the rims don't use on the Marauders finish. The brake dust will definitely scratch the paint. JMO.

Paul T. Casey
08-28-2004, 12:59 PM
I've got one of those foam paint brushes (small size), the kind that looks a little like a sponge on a stick to clean those crevices. I have also found that a good coat of wax (I use regular car wax) on all the wheel surfaces seems to aid in cleaning the brake dust off. Every time I rotate the tires (5Kish miles) I give the not so shiny side a good cleaning and a double coat of Turtle wax. Also, when the wheels are off and drying, it seems like a good time to clean the fender wells out. Especially on the rears I've noticed a few places where sand and mud likes to get hung up. Any dirt build ups will enhance the rusting process as it keeps the area wet for longer periods.

jgc61sr2002
08-28-2004, 01:17 PM
I've got one of those foam paint brushes (small size), the kind that looks a little like a sponge on a stick to clean those crevices. I have also found that a good coat of wax (I use regular car wax) on all the wheel surfaces seems to aid in cleaning the brake dust off. Every time I rotate the tires (5Kish miles) I give the not so shiny side a good cleaning and a double coat of Turtle wax. Also, when the wheels are off and drying, it seems like a good time to clean the fender wells out. Especially on the rears I've noticed a few places where sand and mud likes to get hung up. Any dirt build ups will enhance the rusting process as it keeps the area wet for longer periods.

Paul - Excellent tip. :up:

gdmjoe
08-28-2004, 08:45 PM
Have been using Westley's espree ULTRA Wheel Magic + long bristled brush for years with no dirty nooks or crannies.

Tip: After the rims have been cleaned, polish the rims ( inside and out - i.e. detail 'em by taking 'em off the vehicle ); I use Liquid Glass, but I know several recommend Zaino. *Definitely makes the next clean-up a snap ... cleaner + brush ( outside ), cleaner + wash mitt ( inside - and "no" you don't need to remove the wheel ).

Comment: Have never experienced any scratching using the above.

David Morton
08-28-2004, 11:51 PM
Lowell - If you use a wash mit on the rims don't use on the Marauders finish. The brake dust will definitely scratch the paint. JMO.You've hit it on the head, man. Guys, never use a mit or rag of any kind to wash a car. Go buy a brush. Wal-Mart has a nice brush with 3" plastic bristles that gets in those crevices just fine and it never picks up sand or brake dust to scour my nice fine clearcoat finish, on the wheels or anywhere else for that matter.

kode3
09-02-2004, 02:39 AM
Castrol Super Clean (the purple stuff) works great. Not problems yet.

Silver_04
09-02-2004, 03:48 AM
Do you re-apply wax to the wheels after washing because Simple Green strips wax.