PDA

View Full Version : Car Show In Kokomo

MERCMAN
08-28-2004, 12:18 PM
Cruz-In will wow car nuts (8/25/04)

Car show at Kokomo Transmission Plant marks 15th year

By Alison Brantley
Perspective Managing Editor
The 15th Annual Kokomo Transmission Plant Cruz-In is set for Aug. 29. An event that some people wait all year to enter their car in is more than just an ordinary car show. This year’s cruz-in will feature a Mopar midway, Ram round up, Viper and Prowler pits, Harley Davidson lane, DaimlerChrysler concept cars, kids games, monster trucks and much, much more!

With the show beginning at noon, spectators will be wowed with the number of cars in this year’s show. “The cruz-in started 15 years ago as an idea between management and hourly workers to give back to the community, in addition to the fact that there are a bunch of car nuts around this plant that wanted to get together to show their cars off and look and everyone elses,” said Kevin Anderson, KTP PQI Facilitator. “It has been a great thing ever since, and continues to grow in numbers every year.”

This year, however, may take the cake so far. “We will have five Dodge monster trucks here, and one will even offer rides to the public for a small donation,” Anderson said. “All of the proceeds from the rides will be used towards our annual children’s Christmas fund in which we buy presents for at least 100 children who would usually not get very much at Christmas time.”

Another part of the cruz-in that will add money to the Christmas fund is the “giveaway” of a 2003 Dodge Neon SXT, which was donated by Mike Anderson Chrysler Dealerships. “We are selling tickets, so we can’t really call it a giveaway, but someone could walk away with a $10,000 car for $5,” Anderson said. “The car is still covered by warranty, and looks brand new. Mike Anderson is even going to come on Saturday at 4 p.m. to draw the winning ticket.”

In addition to looking at all of the different makes and models of cars that will be on display, there will also be food and fun for the entire family. “We will have games for kids, in which they will be able to win prizes,” Anderson said. “Then there is free soda pop, courtesy of the Kokomo Transmission Plant, free popcorn, courtesy of UAW Local 1302 and free ice cream, courtesy of UAW Local 685 for everyone.

“We will also have hotdogs and hamburgers at a very cheap price. We want to make this a family event, so we don’t want to have items that are too expensive for some families to buy. It is going to be a great time for everyone.”

Keeping closely guarded on which concept vehicles would be gracing the lot, Anderson said that there is one that no one will want to miss. “We are going to have the Jeep Rescue, which is built for anything that comes its way and is equivalent in size to the Hummer,” he said. “We are also going to have the Charger RT, which will be going into production in 2006, so people can get a feel for what is to come. The Crossfire Roadster will also be here, but the one that no one will want to miss is the ME 4-12.”

No longer an actual concept car the Chrysler ME 4-12 is a prototype, with no set date for production. “As a prototype, the Chrysler ME 4-12 is one step closer to being on car lots,” Anderson said. “It can go from zero to 60 miles per hour in 2.9 seconds. It is going to be absolutely amazing, and I think that everyone should be excited to come out and see the new technology and innovations that are occurring in cars.”

Limited edition cruz-in t-shirts will also be available. “Our t-shirt this year is amazing,” said Terry Daltin, PQI Visual Arts Coordinator. “For only $10 someone can have a memory that will last them a lifetime, and also support this great car event.

“I have been involved with the cruz-in since 2000, and have also been involved with the children’s Christmas event during that time. I have seen the way that the community supporting one event actually ends up supporting two. They are both such great events to be associated with.”