PDA

View Full Version : Chi-Town Kruze June 5, 2005

N40GL
09-08-2004, 09:59 AM
Classic cars to <a href="http://www.chitownkruze.com">Kruze</a href> on Lake Shore Drive

[Chicago Tribune; Published September 8, 2004]

Dust off your Duesenberg and polish your Packard.

Chicago has given its blessing to a Kruze, a parade of 750 vintage, antique and classic cars along Lake Shore Drive that will wind its way to Soldier Field for a get-together.

The first in what organizers hope will become an annual show, the Chicago Chi-Town Kruze has been set for June 4.

Unlike the Chicago Auto Show, which displays the newest Detroit, Japan and Europe have to offer, the Chi-Town Kruze will bring together machines owned by Chicagoans for the enjoyment of Chicagoans--though visitors from other states and countries also are welcome to line Lake Shore Drive, said show organizers.

"It was a hope, but now the City of Chicago has given us a time and place, so it will happen," said Jerry Robbin, president of the 1,500-member International Mercury Owners Association and Kruze organizer.

"We still have to work out the route, but part or all of the Kruze will be along Lake Shore Drive to the Soldier Field south parking lot for a car show," Robbin said. The event is patterned after the annual Woodward Dream Cruise in Detroit.

Although the Chicago Auto Show typically attracts more than a million visitors each year, it focuses on new hardware in showrooms or coming soon. And it's held in February.

The Kruze, Robbin envisions, will include at least 750 examples of what cars used to be. And it will be held in summer, so folks can gather along Lake Shore Drive to view it.

"It's an opportunity for collectors, and there are several in Chicagoland, to strut their stuff along the parade route," he said. "It's also an opportunity for people to sit back along the route and admire, as well as reminisce about all the cars, to chat among themselves and make it a social event."

The Woodward Avenue cruise in Detroit has a 16-mile route where about 40,000 cars parade for 1 million people to enjoy over a weekend.

"We're starting small. We don't have a 16-mile-long street to work with like they do with Woodward Avenue in Detroit, but we plan to get bigger," Robbin said.

Although the show has a time and place, it still needs a few things, such as 750 classic, vintage and antique cars.

Those interested in participating can e-mail info@chitownkruze.com, which also will provide details on the Kruze as plans are completed.

Bradley G
09-08-2004, 12:20 PM
WE GOT OUR OWN DREAMCRUISE:party: Thanks to Jerry & others I'm sure. Sent him an e-mail to offer a helping hand. do you think they will let current owners cruise too??

N40GL
12-02-2004, 10:35 AM
Posted on behalf of Chi-Town Kruze

Dear Car Enthusiast:

Just a short note to bring you some exciting news! The New Chi-Town Kruze web site with registration form is up & running!

http://www.chitownkruze.com/

We will be having a Town Hall Meeting for all the classic car clubs in the area in March. The date and place will be announced on our web site.

A Save the Date flyer is available (Adobe format) on our site so please give all your friends one and let them know about the Chi-Town Kruze.

Watch our web site for a diagram of the route.

A show registration by mail form is available on the site so register today and guarantee a spot for this gala event.

Look forward to meeting you on June 5th,

Jerry Robbin
Chi-Town Kruze

MERCMAN
12-02-2004, 10:45 AM
Looks like it is for classics only, :bigcry: can you confirm or deny????

stevengerard
12-02-2004, 10:47 AM
Can we bring our classics, I thought last time I checked into this you had to submit your car for approval.

fairlane347
12-02-2004, 11:21 AM
Just to inform: The 2005 Hot Rod Power Tour is the same weekend and the route is from Milwaukee, WI to Springfield, IL to Indy, ect. Maybe a jiont gathering could take place? Does anyone have contacts between the two shows? Can anyone make it happen? This would be a fun time :beer: :banana2:

MM03MOK
12-02-2004, 11:35 AM
It really isn't clear. Is what I highlighted in blue where we fit in? The Cruise seems to be open to all; the Show has some restrictions.

Registration fee prior to 6/5/05: $20.00. Registration fee Day of Show $25.00. Only vehicles 25 years or older (cars and small trucks) can be entered the show (1980 or older year model). There will be a section of the show for late model special interest and tuner cars. All cars regardless of year are eligible for participant's choice awards. Registered cars receive dash plaque, goody bag and guaranteed space to park their car at the show. Car clubs receive 20% discount if they pre-register 10 or more cars.

What sort of vehicles may participate in the cruise?

The Chi Town Kruze is open to all street legal vehicles. Trucks and commercial vehicles require special permission to drive on Lake Shore Drive. Please contact event organizers before you arrive to obtain credentials.

N40GL
12-02-2004, 12:44 PM
It's open to everyone who pays the fee. We qualify in the "tuner cars" (or special interest) section. The event that was limited to antique vehicles was the earlier reopening of the marinas at the beginning of summer '04. Late model cars will have their own judging categories.

N40GL
12-06-2004, 09:30 AM
(thought this might be helpful)

Will beer or liquor be served at the event?

No. Our permit does not allow liquor of any kind on the show grounds. Please refrain from carrying in alcohol in your vehicles or on your person.

Where is the admission gate?

In the Soldier Field South Parking lot which can be accessed from Lake Shore Drive and 18th Street.

What sort of vehicles may participate in the cruise?

The Chi Town Kruze is open to all street legal vehicles. Trucks and commercial vehicles require special permission to drive on Lake Shore Drive. Please contact event organizers before you arrive to obtain credentials.

Can I bring a tent or other structure to set up next to my car?

Unfortunately, space restrictions do not allow for this. However, you may bring lawn chairs and freestanding umbrellas.

How much space will be available for displaying my vehicle?

A 5' space will be allowed between each vehicle. All arrangement for extra space must be made prior to the event.

Will I be able to park my car together with other members of my car club?

Only if you arrive at the entry gate at the same time. If you have a group or club that you wish to park with, we recommend that you meet off site and ride to the gate together. If your group does not arrive together, they cannot be parked together.

Are hotel packages available?

TBD

Will there be judging and prizes?

All registered cars will receive a participant's choice ballot for best in show. Prizes will be given to the top five vote getters.

What happens if it rains?

The Chi Town Kruze is a rain or shine event!

Can my car club sell t-shirts at the event?

Participants are not allowed to sell products, food or beverages of any kind. If you wish to rent a vending space, please contact the event organizers.

Will you allow day of event registration?

If space is available. Otherwise the car show is limited to the first 750 eligible cars that register. Remember, even if there is no room at the car show, you can still participate in the cruise, free of charge.

Can I bring food to the event?

There will also be concessions on site with food and soft drinks for purchase. We will allow coolers with sandwiches and soft drinks, however grilling or otherwise preparing food will be prohibited.

Can I get a refund for my show entry?

No. All registration fees are final.

Will there be security on the show field?

Yes.

Will there be a place to wash my car?

No.

If I register my car for the show how many people can I bring?

Driver and passengers will be admitted to the show with your registration.
(Hiding your children in the trunk is strongly discouraged).

Can I put a “For Sale” sign on my car?

The Chi Town Kruze is a car show, not a sale or swap meet. We would prefer if you would use other means to sell your vehicle

N40GL
12-06-2004, 09:32 AM
Registration Information

Register now to ensure your place in this inaugural Chi-Town Kruze event! Just <a href="http://www.chitownkruze.com/docs/Chi-townRegisform.pdf">download the registration form</a href> and mail it in, along with your registration fee. Show registration is limited to the first 750 paid, qualified participants, so don’t delay!

Registration Benefits

• Only registered cars may participate in car show
• Receive Official Chi-Town Kruze Dash Plaque
• Free Goody Bag
• Guaranteed Parking Space
• Free Car Show Admittance for everyone in your car!

Registration Fees

•$20 if paid in advance (Fees must be received by June 4th)
• $25 the day of the event
• 20% Discount for car clubs registering 10 or more cars in advance ($16 per car)

N40GL
12-06-2004, 09:36 AM
Classic cars to Kruze on Lake Shore Drive
Jim Mateja, Chicago Tribune
September 8, 2004

Dust off your Duesenberg and polish your Packard.

Chicago has given its blessing to a Kruze, a parade of 750 vintage, antique and classic cars along Lake Shore Drive that will wind its way to Soldier Field for a get-together.

The first in what organizers hope will become an annual show, the Chicago Chi-Town Kruze has been set for June 5.

Unlike the Chicago Auto Show, which displays the newest Detroit, Japan and Europe have to offer, the Chi-Town Kruze will bring together machines owned by Chicagoans for the enjoyment of Chicagoans--though visitors from other states and countries also are welcome to line Lake Shore Drive, said show organizers.

"It was a hope, but now the City of Chicago has given us a time and place, so it will happen," said Jerry Robbin, president of the 1,500-member International Mercury Owners Association and Kruze organizer.

"We still have to work out the route, but part or all of the Kruze will be along Lake Shore Drive to the Soldier Field south parking lot for a car show," Robbin said. The event is patterned after the annual Woodward Dream Cruise in Detroit.

Although the Chicago Auto Show typically attracts more than a million visitors each year, it focuses on new hardware in showrooms or coming soon. And it's held in February.

The Kruze, Robbin envisions, will include at least 750 examples of what cars used to be. And it will be held in summer, so folks can gather along Lake Shore Drive to view it.

"It's an opportunity for collectors, and there are several in Chicagoland, to strut their stuff along the parade route," he said. "It's also an opportunity for people to sit back along the route and admire, as well as reminisce about all the cars, to chat among themselves and make it a social event."

The Woodward Avenue cruise in Detroit has a 16-mile route where about 40,000 cars parade for 1 million people to enjoy over a weekend.

"We're starting small. We don't have a 16-mile-long street to work with like they do with Woodward Avenue in Detroit, but we plan to get bigger," Robbin said.

Although the show has a time and place, it still needs a few things, such as 750 classic, vintage and antique cars.

Those interested in participating can e-mail info@chitownkruze.com, which also will provide details on the Kruze as plans are completed.

N40GL
12-06-2004, 09:41 AM
Hot Rod Power Tour 2005

With the 2004 Power Tour fresh in our minds, and the issue fresh in our readers’ hands (October 2004,) we're ready to announce the dates for the HOT ROD Power Tour 2005.

This year's event proved to be the biggest one yet, and we know with our jump start on the planning for next year, it can only get better.

Dates and Cities:

June 4 Miller Park - Milwaukee, WI
June 5 Illinois State Fairgrounds - Springfield, IL
June 6 Indianapolis Raceway Park - Indianapolis, IN
June 7 Gaylord Opryland Resort - Nashville, TN
June 8 Birmingham Race Course - Birmingham, AL
June 9 North Florida Fair - Tallahassee, FL
June 10 Osceola Heritage Park - Kissimmee-St. Cloud, FL
June 11 return to Osceola Heritage Park for Long Hauler Award and Photo

www.hotrod.com

HwyCruiser
01-16-2005, 12:18 PM
Just wondering if there anything official being planned by the Windy City crew for or around the Chicago Kruze.

I'm planning on going... anyone else?

Bradley G
01-16-2005, 12:52 PM
I told a friend that is in the Deloran club, he said there would be some interest in thier club.I think the bigger the better!:cool5:

Bradley G

N40GL
02-21-2005, 10:33 AM
Hi Car Enthusiast,

The City of Chicago has just made us change the date of the Kruze to Saturday June 4th due to the number of events taking place on the the 5th. We are revising the save the date form and will have posted on our web site in a week. In the meantime we do have a revised registration form on our web site for the car show. Our web site address is http://www.chitownkruze.com/. The Kruze time will change to 8am-10am and the show will follow from 11am to 3pm. There will be a section of the show for late model tuner and special interest cars.

Have a great week,

Jerry Robbin
Chi-Town Kruze
International Mercury Owners Assoc.
773-622-6445

N40GL
03-03-2005, 10:47 AM
By Jim Mateja

Kruze gets closer: The name has been changed. So has the date.

And while the event will take place on Lake Shore Drive, there's no decision on where it will start and where it will stop.

But save for those few glitches that need to be ironed out, the first Chi-Town Kruze is a step closer to reality.

Except now it's the Chi-Town Stabil Kruze because Chicago-based Gold Eagle, maker of the gas additive, stepped in as a sponsor.

Two other sponsors, the Chicagoland Chevrolet Dealers Association and WJMK-FM (104.3) obviously didn't ask for naming rights.

And now the event will take place June 4, a Saturday, rather than June 5, because Chicago said too many other events were on tap for Sunday.

The Kruze, a parade of collectible cars, was the idea of Jerry Robbin, president of the International Mercury Owners Association.

Robbin envisioned it as a way to let area car collectors strut their machines along Lake Shore Drive while the public admired and reminisced about the hardware of decades past.

Barring more changes, the event will start with a two-hour Kruze starting at 8 a.m.. The route will depend, in part, on how many cars show up.

The Kruze will be followed by a car show featuring 1980 and older models from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the south parking lot at Soldier Field, Robbin said.

Robbin hopes to line up 2,000 cars for the Kruze, which is open to anyone with a street-legal machine, though classic, vintage, antique and collectible cars are preferred. So even if you are willing to admit to owning a Yugo, best you bring it downtown on Sunday rather than Saturday.

The car show is limited to 750 vehicles. For details or to register for the Kruze, visit Info@chitownkruze.com or call 773-622-6445, ext. 13.

To display a car at the show, visit chitownkruze.com.

Big Joe P
05-24-2005, 09:25 AM
Is anyone here going to do this? Is there a plan in place for those who are? This could be something for our new "president" to look into...

Rider90
05-24-2005, 09:27 AM
Is anyone here going to do this? Is there a plan in place for those who are? This could be something for our new "president" to look into...

This is an event I will miss out on, I like Chicago, but the idea of so many cars (Nice ones at that) packed into such a busy area doesn't seem like my slice of pie. I would worry myself to death. To all that are going, have a great time, and I still hope to see some pictures! :cool4:

Bradley G
05-24-2005, 09:30 AM
Did I miss the Election?

Bradley G

SergntMac
05-24-2005, 09:39 AM
This is an event I will miss out on, I like Chicago, but the idea of so many cars (Nice ones at that) packed into such a busy area doesn't seem like my slice of pie. I would worry myself to death.
I see your point, so, I take it you're not going to MV-III either?

Rider90
05-24-2005, 09:43 AM
I see your point, so, I take it you're not going to MV-III either?

Well now MV-III is a lot of nice Marauders packed into a busy area...IMHO I worry as much about my MM as the next guy, I think? I don't know about MV-III yet.

N40GL
05-25-2005, 01:37 PM
See map attached, suitable for framing or wrapping fish.

Big Joe P
05-25-2005, 02:15 PM
Is anyone here going to do this? Is there a plan in place for those who are?

Anything??????????????????

MERCMAN
05-25-2005, 03:01 PM
hmm,, decisions decisions decisions!!

A cruze or a day at the strip watching Marauders and Impalas go at it,, hmm!!!

Bradley G
05-31-2005, 04:04 AM
I planned on going as soon as I heard Chicago was having thier version of DWC.

Not only to show off our machines and Hang with my Marauder Brotheren, Also to show my support for our fine city.
Now I return back into the Retail sales world, And face the harsh realities, of losing the control to call my own shots. If Played correctly, I may still have a shot! :hmmm: So what's the deal? Who's going?
Bradley G

Big Joe P
06-04-2005, 03:36 AM
Is anyone here going to do this? Is there a plan in place for those who are?

It's a shame that an event posted back in September, 9 months ago, didn't have any follow through here on the board. All we seem to do is eat chicken and report Marauder sightings around the city..... oh well...