PDA

View Full Version : paint on MM

mrs marauder
01-21-2003, 09:56 PM
Paint code claims the paint is Ebony Black base coat/clear coat. Mercury website says paint is black basecoat/ clear coat Metallic. Any one have Metallic on their car???????

RF Overlord
01-21-2003, 10:02 PM
Mine's like looking at a grand piano...no metallic here...

mrs marauder
01-21-2003, 10:08 PM
Dealer just bought mine back. Has had previous repair. Both front doors, fenders, hood and front bumper were repainted with a metallic or pearl paint. (quoting dealer and body shop).

RCSignals
01-22-2003, 12:59 AM
strange. The early order guides stated black metallic clearcoat but I always though that was a mistake. The paint code is definitely for plain old Ebony Black base coat/clear coat.

Will you be getting another one?

cyled
01-22-2003, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by mrs marauder
Dealer just bought mine back. Has had previous repair. Both front doors, fenders, hood and front bumper were repainted with a metallic or pearl paint. (quoting dealer and body shop).

Sorry if I missed this on another thread, but what was the reason for it being bought back? The obvious repair? :confused:

bchapman
01-22-2003, 08:03 AM
Does the re-paint match the rest of the car?

mrs marauder
01-22-2003, 08:16 AM
No it does not match.
The area of the car that was repaired (appx. 50% of vehicle)was repaired with metallic which means you can see where some areas were spotted in and where it was masked because the rest of the car is ebony black. Thefactory will authorize a complete repaint which is unacceptable to me. I do NOT want a 35K car which has been repainted.
I have been offered another car but at this time I have a bad taste about the whole situation.....

MAD-3R
01-22-2003, 08:19 AM
Try and get it ruled a lemon, have the deal killed, and get a new one at a better price.

tomd
01-22-2003, 08:43 AM
Metallic? I don't see it on my car.

"Factory will authorize a complete repaint which is unacceptable to me."

Should I be worried about getting a car repainted????? If so please tell me why soon! :confused: :help:

MAD-3R
01-22-2003, 08:51 AM
Have them autherize an independent paint shop, and get a hot custom job done.

mdmarauder
01-22-2003, 10:44 AM
TomD,

As someone who has traded and sold way too many cars lately I can tell you this. Any appraiser that looks at a car that has had paint work will deduct serious money.

One example I had a 2001 Lincoln LS. Front bumper was scratched up from being up against another car on the lot. Had the Lincoln dealer re-paint. They did an excellent job. Went to trade, lost big money because of the paint work at several places.

Moral of the story-Live with a scratch and you're much better off.

LincMercLover
01-22-2003, 10:51 AM
Metallic black... Why am I picturing a fishing boat? :D

mrs marauder
01-22-2003, 01:58 PM
I will not accept a repaint because of the devalueation of the car.
Dealer has refunded my money.
At this point my whole experence with the manufacturer has been a nightmare. I am Not going to purchase another.
I do enjoy the car. I did not purchase it for daily transportation but as a sunday driver to go with my collection of Packards.
This is my final post so please everyone enjoy you MM and be safe.
Janet

bchapman
01-23-2003, 04:59 AM
This is a shame. Screw-up dealers and monkey mechanics ruining a terrific product and leaving a bad taste in someone's mouth.

tomd
01-23-2003, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by mdmarauder
TomD,

As someone who has traded and sold way too many cars lately I can tell you this. Any appraiser that looks at a car that has had paint work will deduct serious money.

One example I had a 2001 Lincoln LS. Front bumper was scratched up from being up against another car on the lot. Had the Lincoln dealer re-paint. They did an excellent job. Went to trade, lost big money because of the paint work at several places.

Moral of the story-Live with a scratch and you're much better off.

Yeah make my day! :D How much money are we talking about losing at trade-in? I got hit and my insurance company told me about a great body shop so I took it there. Needless to say they did horrible work, they also got over spray all over the entire car, and used a buffer to get rid of it, ruining the paint job! The car must have been dirty when they took a buffed to it cuz it is ALL scratched up bumper to bumper! Now it’s at a new body shop and they’re fixing the all mistakes from the first one. As far as the scratches go the only thing I can think of to fix it, is a NEW paint job, am I wrong? :help:

Directedby
01-23-2003, 09:42 AM
The car dealer who sold her the car KNOWING it had been in an accident, repainting part of it and SELLING it as a new car should go to jail. He is a crook.

This is a scary story. I hope the dealer isn't one in LA that I might go to.

SergntMac
01-23-2003, 04:00 PM
Sounds like you have an inside track here, Paul, and I must agree. Any dealer who conceals the truth about the history of any car, should be out of the car business, period.

My regards to Janet, the MM is a great car to own, hope you reconsider her qualities down the road.

Any chance at getting a VIN? Would like to see if another was duped in the aftermath.

BODYMAN
01-23-2003, 06:14 PM
Any selling dealer who knowingly repairs and does refinish work to a new vehicle must present a damage disclosure to the customer before they purchase the vehicle and if they fail to do so they are leaving themselves open for a very large lawsuit. I have seen this happen on several occasions. the other problem may be in the factory if a vehicle is damaged while still at the factory the damage would not have to be disclosed. I actually work for a very large dealership and have work for alot of dealers in my area over the years as I'am a automotive painter by trade. As for not wanting to have to do any paint work on a new vehicle the 1st and largest reason is the fact that no matter how good of a paint product the shop is using the durability is not as good as the factory finish. Example my deck lid and lft rear door both had very large fish eyes in the paint and rather than repaint I sanded and buff both areas to make the 2-spots as small as possible with out having to paint either areas. Any honest dealer will tell you the samething. AS for the scracthes caused by the body shop while trying to remove overspray they can simply be buffed out (of course Iam saying by someone who knows what they are doing) hope this helps!!!! :help:
:help: :help: :help: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

joflewbyu2
01-23-2003, 07:06 PM
93tealcobra, in Florida no. under Florida law as long as the LABOR charge for the damage is less than 3% or $600 - whichever is less and no more than 3 items are replaced with factory items (not counting towards the 3% or $600 amount.) so, the front corner panel, bumper cover and headlight can be replaced as long as the labor is less than $600 without disclosing damage in the state of Florida. check your local state law, as it may vary state to state. you will be amazed how many vehicles are damaged during transport or at port and are repainted. i have a trained eye being in the car business for 12 years and i use a paint depth gauge on some just to check. normal paint thickness is 4.5 mil - 5.0 mil. 8-10 mil is most likely a repaint.

mrs marauder
01-23-2003, 07:36 PM
I'm Back.
Got my refund check from the dealer yesterday. Woke up this AM to a sunny day. Perfect to look at a new MM. Went to a dealer that had 2 with date codes 11/15/02 with traction control) They cleaned one up for me. I spent 4 hours looking at the paint , drove it and purchased my 2nd. MM in the same month.
I am a grandma (and retired airline pilot. DC10 & 757) and enjoy the ride, handling and overall apperance of the car.
I am happy to have another MM in my garage.....
Thank you...

mdmarauder
01-23-2003, 07:38 PM
Tomd,
Lost about 2,000 dollars. The dealer's excuse "Nobody wants a car with paint work." Chances are that if it goes to a Wholesaler or Auction they will not miss it for a second. In your case you had no choice but to get it repaired. Hard to find a good body shop these days.

joflewbyu2
01-23-2003, 08:08 PM
mrs marauder, glad to see you back and welcome. that's the spirit, don't let one bad experience ruin your fun of owning a marauder. just out of curiosity, what state is this marauder in? there are 2 that i have seen for sale as used with 18 miles and 2,250 miles on them.

WolfeBros
01-23-2003, 08:16 PM
Welcome Back Mrs Marauder !!
Way to fight the good fight !
Glad you got the car you wanted all along .......there really isn't anything quite like it out there. Now if we could get rid of some sleazy car dealerships !

BODYMAN
01-23-2003, 08:18 PM
joflewbyu, you are exactly right the law is in fact different in every state. but in short it appears from what you are saying about florida law it is very similar to missouri law other than the dollar amounts are a bit lower and we have to disclose the parts amount, and if I'am understanding you correctly you do not have to disclose any parts?
Transportation damage is a every day occurance but usually very minimal. If the damage is very extensive vehciel can be refused by the dealer. I have seen alot a very strange things come straight from the factroy in my past 17yrs working in dealership bodyshops. so you cant always assume it is something the dealer did. for instance had a 2003
ford expedition in the shop black in color sounds like mrs marauders vehicle entire frt end had metal flake underneath the clearcoat. When sanded down I found the metal flake to appear to have been sometype of overspray at the factory while the vehicle was in the paint process.
anyhow its just like anything else build so many and some are bound to have problems. :) :) :) OH I ALMOST FORGOT
WELCOME BACK MRS MARAUDER!!!!!

:cool: :cool: :cool:

Directedby
01-23-2003, 08:26 PM
Congrats to the Mrs.

Bet you got the rebate also. Maybe it was luck to get the bad paint job.

glad it worked out.

Billatpro
01-23-2003, 08:30 PM
Way to go Mrs Marauder and I'll bet you got a better deal to boot. :banana: :beer: :D

JamesHecker
01-23-2003, 09:15 PM
Awesome! Congratulations Mrs. Marauder and welcome to the community!

bchapman
01-24-2003, 03:57 AM
Mrs Marauder - I'm so glad you didn't let that bad experience ruin a wonderful opportunity to own a really great car. You sound like the type of person who doesn't let an obstacle stand in the way of what you want anyway! Congratulations and best wishes!

MAD-3R
01-24-2003, 06:50 AM
Welcome back. :beer:

Beadhead
01-24-2003, 07:54 PM
Ditto the above. Don't let the bas_____ get you down.