PDA

View Full Version : Back in the saddle!

2003 MIB
09-15-2004, 09:12 AM
After 31 days of being Marauderless...I pick her up this afternoon. Jerad just called and the only issue with the engine transplant was one non-firing injector on the new engine (luckily, I happen to have 8 spares on the old one).
Thanks to all for your support during this ordeal...I can't wait for some seat time.
If anyone is looking for me, I'll be judging at the Lowry Crossing VFD show on Saturday- bald guy-big grin- standing next to the black car. :party: :party:

Brutus
09-15-2004, 09:25 AM
Congrats my friend!!:beer:

2003 MIB
09-15-2004, 09:28 AM
THANK YOU!!!! Today is Christmas, Birthday and November 10th all rolled up in one big ball- can't wait to see her.

Joe Walsh
09-15-2004, 09:34 AM
Congrats!! I missed the thread on what happened to your MM.(?) I hope you enjoy driving with the resurrected engine. I'm in the same 'boat' as you...I greneded my Oil Pump at the drag strip early in the summer and have been too busy to pull the engine and fix it. I have alot of modifications* and was not going to try and get it warranteed by the LM dealer. I've finally got some time & $$$ and will be pulling the engine this week. I'm going to bite the bullet and have it rebuilt with forged internals...I'm dying to get my MM back on the road. I miss that big car with the sweet ride!
*ONE MODIFICATION I DID NOT HAVE WAS A CORRECT 'TUNE' FOR ALL THE MODIFICATIONS...WAS RUNNING WAYYYYY TOO LEAN. :fishslap: :banghead: :shake: (I give myself a fishslap for that!!)

Logan
09-15-2004, 09:36 AM
Good news! I'll see ya there!

2003 MIB
09-15-2004, 09:41 AM
Good news! I'll see ya there!
Hmmmmm, driving what? I hear rumors.....

BillyGman
09-15-2004, 09:41 AM
I have two things to say here:

#1. Congratulations 2003 MIB!!! I bet it feels great to get her back again!! I'm glad your ordeal is finally over!! Enjoy my friend......

#2. Joe, when you say "Waaaaay too lean" please explain. Exactly what air/fuel ratio ranges were you running? This info can be important for other owners of N/A Marauders, so please don't be vague about this bud. Thanks in advance...

2003 MIB
09-15-2004, 09:59 AM
ONE MODIFICATION I DID NOT HAVE WAS A CORRECT 'TUNE' FOR ALL THE MODIFICATIONS...WAS RUNNING WAYYYYY TOO LEAN.
PLEEEEEEEEEEEZE- Highjack this thread and tell us more!!

Joe Walsh
09-15-2004, 10:00 AM
#2. Joe, when you say "Waaaaay too lean" please explain. Exactly what fuel ratio ranges were you running? This info can be important for other owners of N/A Marauders, so please don't be vague about this bud. Thanks in advance...

Long story, not too short: I don't know what my A/F was .... I HAD a chip in my MM but it was 'conflicting' with the transmission Shift Kit I had installed, so I removed the chip. Before I had it dynoed and 're-chipped' I made the mistake of going to the track.
I couldn't resist testing the Kook's exhaust! I promptly blew up the Oil Pump Gears at 6100 rpm (top of second) OUCH! I've talked to Dennis, Zack and a few other people and they all said the same thing: "with all the mods you did to help move air IN & OUT of the engine, if you did not have it re-tuned...you were running dangerously LEAN" (I've been told that my C&L meter was the main cause..I don't know for sure.)
So to anyone else out there modifying their MM I can attest to the fact that you MUST have Dennis, Lidio, your choice of qualified professional, dyno tune your MM if you have made any significant mods.
I was stupid and I learned the hard way...$$$$$

BillyGman
09-15-2004, 10:12 AM
Thanks for your reply Joe, but I didn't think that you modifications list was all that extensive. You had Underdrive pullies and exhaust modifications, w/a simply air intak upgrade. Right? The funny thing is that I purchased and installed the full Kooks exhaust uopgrade well BEFORE i ever even thought about S/Cing my Marauder, and I had Dennid Reinhart's chip in my car back then. So I wrote to Dennis Reinhart to ask him if I needed to have the chip re-burned because of the headers and other exhaust mods, and he specifically told me "no".

So perhaps it's your aftermarket Mass air meter that caused the lean condition.

Joe Walsh
09-15-2004, 10:26 AM
Thanks for your reply Joe, but I didn't think that you modifications list was all that extensive. You had Underdrive pullies and exhaust modifications, w/a simply air intak upgrade. Right? The funny thing is that I purchased and installed the full Kooks exhaust uopgrade well BEFORE i ever even thought about S/Cing my Marauder, and I had Dennid Reinhart's chip in my car back then. So I wrote to Dennis Reinhart to ask him if I needed to have the chip re-burned because of the headers and other exhaust mods, and he specifically told me "no".

HMMMM, you were running the OEM MAF??? Maybe there is some truth to the C&L MAF theory...(Dennis did NOT like it when I told him I was running the C&L MAF...I won't repeat exactly how Dennis put it!)
Someone else badmouthed the STEEDA UDP as the main cause, but Dennis said NFW..the STEEDA UDP is FINE.
Sorry 2003MIB for the :hijack:

BillyGman
09-15-2004, 10:29 AM
Joe, read my post again, because i updated it just seconds ago. I didn't realize that your list mentioned the Mass air meter upgrade. yes, I would think that it's a good possibility that it was infact that which caused something in the air/fuel ratio to be out of line (more specifically, lean).

MAD-3R
09-15-2004, 10:30 AM
:hijack:

We are taking this thread to Havana!!

BillyGman
09-15-2004, 10:31 AM
my personal opinion is, that it's one thing if you perform an exhaust upgrade. But if you start changing things on the intake side like the MASS sensor which sends signals to the car's computer, then you're playing a dangerous game if you don't have the engine re-tuned, and by someone who knows the Marauder very well.

Joe Walsh
09-15-2004, 10:34 AM
Yeah, Dennis is sending me a SCT tuner with a baseline (93 octane) tune for the 'new' engine when I get her back up and running....and Dennis said "Get rid of the C&L and use the OEM MAF with my SCT tune"

Smokie
09-15-2004, 10:34 AM
Dan, I am very happy for you, the car is addictive...31 days without it. OUCH !!! Congratulations:drive:

About oil pumps and broken rods and engine failures. The reason that I resist U/D pullies is not because I doubt they free-up horses, good bang for the buck etc. etc.

The reason U/D's worry me is because one very important function of that pulley is to be a harmonic balancer and one way that vibrations are safely absorbed is the mass of the OEM pulley is greater than the U/D replacement.
Mass is a vital part of the equation that makes it possible for the crank pulley to safely absorb the flexing of the crankshaft.

Notice that almost all catastrophic engine failures in our forum share as a common denominator U/D pulleys.

Ok, flame away.:duel:

BillyGman
09-15-2004, 10:37 AM

But when someone mentions a blown Marauder engine due to modifications and running a lean condition, then I think it's worth "hijacking". Furthermore, in light of the fact that the original topic was a blown Marauder engine which had to be replaced, then I don't think we drifted as far off-topic as you're claiming anyway. Not to mention the fact that 2003 MIB who was the one who started the thread in the first placed, welcomed Joe to expound on his comment about the "Lean" condition. So I don't see any problem w/this thread as you've implied there was.

Joe Walsh
09-15-2004, 10:37 AM

I'm done HIJACKING....any more discussion (do we need any?) on the A/F ratio and I'll start a new thread. Bottom line; " We don't need no stinkin' C&L meter!!"

MAD-3R
09-15-2004, 10:39 AM
I think that there may be a combanation of a factory engine build (who or when the motor was put together) and then adding Pullies. Merc has been trying to compile a listing of engine codes that failed, and possable corrilate it with those who put on pullies.

He could explain it better what he is looking for, but there seems to be an issue with a particuler engine build, and weak oil gear that would cause a big bada boom.

BillyGman
09-15-2004, 10:40 AM
Mass is a vital part of the equation that makes it possible for the crank pulley to safely absorb the flexing of the crankshaft.

Notice that almost all catastrophic engine failures in our forum share as a common denominator U/D pulleys.

Ok, flame away.:duel:Smokie, that's a very interesting point, and I don't think that you deserve to be flamed for that at all. Infact I think you deserve to be commended for bringing that up!!!

MAD-3R
09-15-2004, 10:42 AM
But when someone mentions a blown Marauder engine due to modifications and running a lean condition, then I think it's worth "hijacking". Furthermore, in light of the fact that the original topic was a blown Marauder engine which had to be replaced, then I don't think we drifted as far off-topic as you're claiming anyway. Not to mention the fact that 2003 MIB who was the one who started the thread in the first placed, welcomed Joe to expound on his comment about the "Lean" condition. So I don't see any problem w/this thread as you've implied there was.

1. Never said it was off topic, just Hi jacked. :)

2. I took 2003MIB's comment as light sarcasm. I could be wrong.

3. I was trying to ligten the mood a bit.

Joe Walsh
09-15-2004, 10:45 AM
Someone else badmouthed the STEEDA UDP as the main cause, but Dennis said NFW..the STEEDA UDP is FINE.

Smokie...your comment is very interesting because the person (who shall remain nameless) who badmouthed the STEEDA UDP said the same thing..."that you cannot significantly REDUCE the Dampner's mass without causing a problem"

BillyGman
09-15-2004, 10:46 AM
2. I took 2003MIB's comment as light sarcasm. I could be wrong. Sorry, but I see nothing there that indicates sarcasm.

3. I was trying to ligten the mood a bit. I'm not opposed to humor nor to sarcasm, but when two of our fellow members are talking about their Marauder engines being blown, I don't see much humor in that. Excuse me if I'm intense about this, but I do sympathize w/both 2003 MIB as well as w/Joe Walsh because of their misfortunes.

Smokie
09-15-2004, 10:46 AM
Thank you Billy, I know the U/D's do work ( more HP ) and are very popular among our members, but I feel that they are a contributing factor in some engine failures...so I am trying to find a little power here a little power there while going around them.....:whistle:

MAD-3R
09-15-2004, 10:51 AM
I'm not opposed to humor nor to sarcasm, but when two of our fellow members are talking about their Marauder engines being blown, I don't see much humor in that.

Sorry Billy, please allow me to introduce myself. I had my engine go at 120mph with ONLY 8000 miles on it. I then went through my dealerships concept of Customer service, and having Ford Void out my warrenty. I spent hours and days tracking down solutions for my problem.

I watch engine failures and do my best to lend support to them as to what to expect. I have first hand knowledge as to what they are going through. And humor is what helps. Letting them know that they are not alone, and that they will survive.

Joe Walsh
09-15-2004, 10:58 AM
As Rodney King so elequantly (sp?) put it..."Can't we all just get along?"

BillyGman
09-15-2004, 10:59 AM
Sorry Billy, please allow me to introduce myself. I had my engine go at 120mph with ONLY 8000 miles on it. I then went through my dealerships concept of Customer service, and having Ford Void out my warrenty. I spent hours and days tracking down solutions for my problem.

I watch engine failures and do my best to lend support to them as to what to expect. I have first hand knowledge as to what they are going through. And humor is what helps. Letting them know that they are not alone, and that they will survive.
Thanks for your kind and mature explanation. I appreciate that. I just had the impression that you were attempting to divert us from what we were talking about in an effort to defend somebody else. My bad. I think some very good information has been shared here, and despite what some people might think when they read this thread, this isn't about placing blame on anyone, but about finding out what's best for our cars and what isn't. Thanks for your patience w/me MAD-3R. Perhaps if you ever find the time, you can send me a PM about the details of your blown Marauder engine. I would like to hear about that. Especially if you were able to diagnose what caused it. Thanks.

Smokie
09-15-2004, 11:05 AM
.. the person (who shall remain nameless) who badmouthed the STEEDA UDP said the same thing..."that you cannot significantly REDUCE the Dampner's mass without causing a problem"Joe I feel the same way as stated above, we have high revving engines and aluminun alloy block, if vibrations get a little out of hand at the crank pulley end your oil pump can take a dump...we know what comes after that.

The views expressed above are solely those of Smokie and he has been tossed around by 2 hurricanes lately so he may be a little dizzy.:banghead:

Racerx88
09-15-2004, 11:09 AM
Glad to hear it's all back together Dan. Did you get the forged internals like you mentioned when this first happened?

Joe Walsh
09-15-2004, 11:13 AM
Joe I feel the same way as stated above, we have high revving engines and aluminun alloy block, if vibrations get a little out of hand at the crank pulley end your oil pump can take a dump...we know what comes after that.
>>>>> Yep, powdered metal gears mounted directly on the crank 'feel' all the vibrations of a 6200rpm DOHC..I just returned my Oil Pump gears to their original state.

The views expressed above are solely those of Smokie and he has been tossed around by 2 hurricanes lately so he may be a little dizzy.:banghead:>>>>>LOL...At least #3 (Ivan) is going to (mostly) miss you.
I'll be interested in any future info on the 3G-120-AA engine code theory...

2003 MIB
09-15-2004, 11:19 AM
Geez Boys- I went to lunch and came back to this...I wanted to hear Joe's story- no sarcasm at all. It is a serious issue but mine is behind me and I'm focused on the joys of Maraudering again. I wanted to invite Joe's experience into my thread. Mad3R's thoughts, Smokie's thoughts...All welcome as far as I'm concerned. It's all good!!

2003 MIB
09-15-2004, 11:22 AM
Oops!- Billy's thoughts too!!!!!

Smokie
09-15-2004, 11:23 AM
Dan, you are a good man !!! I am really happy you are back in the saddle...sorry about my detour with your thread.

BillyGman
09-15-2004, 11:23 AM
Oops!- Billy's thoughts too!!!!!:) :) :)...........

MAD-3R
09-15-2004, 11:56 AM
So,
Have you rebuilt her stronger faster more powerful then before?

2003 MIB
09-15-2004, 12:10 PM
So,
Have you rebuilt her stronger faster more powerful then before?
Thanks!- I forgot about that part- No, I did not. This new engine is bone- stinkin' stock- NO MODS. It's a 3 year 50,000 warranty engine. The price was incredible and the economics picked my path.
Around the first of the year (post Christmas bonus), I shall embark on the next evolution of my Marauder. I shall purchase a seasoned block- beef the internals for boost and eventually go Trilogy. All this while driving my car. When the beefed engine is installed- I'll sell the stock one which will have a few pampered miles on it.
Why not just beef it now? The short answer is time without the car and parting with the cash. This isn't a process I want to rush. I also intend to pick the brains of everyone here to build the strongest block possible. Reliability will be my watchword.

MAD-3R
09-15-2004, 12:34 PM
Thanks!- I forgot about that part- No, I did not. This new engine is bone- stinkin' stock- NO MODS. It's a 3 year 50,000 warranty engine. The price was incredible and the economics picked my path.
Around the first of the year (post Christmas bonus), I shall embark on the next evolution of my Marauder. I shall purchase a seasoned block- beef the internals for boost and eventually go Trilogy. All this while driving my car. When the beefed engine is installed- I'll sell the stock one which will have a few pampered miles on it.
Why not just beef it now? The short answer is time without the car and parting with the cash. This isn't a process I want to rush. I also intend to pick the brains of everyone here to build the strongest block possible. Reliability will be my watchword.

Soooooo,
Does that mean your selling the spacer?

2003 MIB
09-15-2004, 12:42 PM
Soooooo,
Does that mean your selling the spacer?I plan to take Sunday and tear down the old engine to a long block state for a core return. I shall evaluate the parts -keep some and sell others. What I do know in the deepest part of my being is this:

I will NOT sell the PHP spacer to anyone else without Mad3R's first right of refusal. Don't ask- it ain't gonna happen...If I part with it- it's his. I swear on my Mama's eyes.

jgc61sr2002
09-15-2004, 03:02 PM
Dan - Congrats and good luck. Welcome back. :D

merc
09-15-2004, 07:46 PM
I'll be interested in any future info on the 3G-120-AA engine code theory...

I know of only 4 people including myself with major engine problems. The engine code theory should be looked. I invite anyone that had to replace thier engine contact me at my email address (mwhite@ndf.org). Please include the engine code, mileage, and month/year purchased. :sunshine:

jspradii
09-15-2004, 08:46 PM
Dan....Building a motor? Doing it the way you plan is the best way to go. A must read before venturing in is "4.6-Liter Ford Engines" by Sean Hyland, available through www.cartechbooks.com (http://www.cartechbooks.com) ($18.95)- everything you wanted to know about building performance 4.6 & 5.4L engines (and some you probably didn't want to know). Definitely a keeper in the car library.

cruzer
09-15-2004, 08:50 PM
Great news---glad to have you up and running again---looking forward to listening to a new engine. Behave yourself :burn: :burn:

2003 MIB
09-16-2004, 07:05 AM
Dan....Building a motor? Doing it the way you plan is the best way to go. A must read before venturing in is "4.6-Liter Ford Engines" by Sean Hyland, available through www.cartechbooks.com (http://www.cartechbooks.com/) ($18.95)- everything you wanted to know about building performance 4.6 & 5.4L engines (and some you probably didn't want to know). Definitely a keeper in the car library.
Thanks Jim!

martyo
09-16-2004, 11:32 AM

Cooooooool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MAD-3R
09-16-2004, 11:34 AM

Well, sence you have the time to do it, may I recomend upping the displacement? Not bu stroking, but just get a 5.4 instead of the 4.6.

There is no replacement for displacement

2003 MIB
09-16-2004, 11:36 AM
Cooooooool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well, I don't claim to have any original ideas so when the new powerplant is painted gloss black and has a single blade throttlebody- I'm hoping you'll see it as an homage.

BillyGman
09-16-2004, 11:49 AM
There is no replacement for displacementI absolutely agree about having more displacement, and I'd really luv to hear about someone finding a way to get the 5.4L DOHV engine in a Marauder. But I don't think it can be done w/the stock hood. Those DOHC cylinder heads are just too massive. There are no problems in the Lightning since it has the height needed in the engine compartment. And the only Cobra I've heard about which has the 5.4L engine is the Cobra R, and I'm told that they had to put a considerably higher hood on it.

Even the new 2005 Ford Gt has a dry sump oiling system which doesn't use an oil pan, and therefore they were able to mount the 5.4L engine in that car very low so that it would fit.

martyo
09-16-2004, 11:53 AM
I'm hoping you'll see it as an homage.

Either that or a copyright violation, in which case you'll be hearing from my lawyers: Takem, Forall Thayerworth, P.C.

Dr Caleb
09-16-2004, 12:16 PM
you'll be hearing from my lawyers: Takem, Forall Thayerworth, P.C.

I thought your lawyers were Dewey, Cheatum and Howe :stooges:

Johnman
09-16-2004, 02:28 PM
Glad you got it back, Dan! I grant you temporary membership in the bone-a$$ stock engine club. See you at the fair!

2003 MIB
09-16-2004, 03:05 PM
Glad you got it back, Dan! I grant you temporary membership in the bone-a$$ stock engine club. See you at the fair!
It might be more than temporary. Let me see if I can recite the Ford mantra:
Modifications are bad.
Speed is bad.
Racing is bad.

Hmmm, somehow I don't feel at peace.....I'm only seeing through red mist right now- wonder what that means...

MYSTA KANG
09-16-2004, 08:23 PM
Hey man, glad to see you are back in the streets again.

hdwrench
09-16-2004, 08:46 PM
It might be more than temporary. Let me see if I can recite the Ford mantra:
Modifications are bad.
Speed is bad.
Racing is bad.

Hmmm, somehow I don't feel at peace.....I'm only seeing through red mist right now- wonder what that means...ok since im new here what happened to the orignal motor to need a transplant? Nevermind i re-read the previous posts... guess i had forgotten the reason in the last few days. good luck with the fresh motor.

Bigdogjim
09-16-2004, 09:24 PM
Well welcome back to live action crowd:)

I know the feeling as my Marauder was down for 5 l-o-n-g weeks getting re-painted:)

It is a really god feeling to be "back in the saddle again"

Best of luck:up: