PDA

View Full Version : Southern SuperHeavy Shootout - Round 4

Bowtie
09-16-2004, 07:59 PM
:welcome: It's time to get the troups riled up for SSHS4 November 6 at Atlanta Dragway. There will be a 12.99 and under bracket, a 13.00-13.99 bracket, and a 14.00 and over bracket, then also a King of the Hill elimination to determine the overall bracket champion.
.....Plus 3 separate heads up pro-tree eliminations: Big Dawg (anything goes), a class for Stock Displacement Normally Aspirated (heads/cam mods permitted), and Bolt-on (stock cam and heads, no power adder).

This is a FUN event, so there are no great efforts to find anyone cheating on what class they should be in. It's pretty much all on the honor system, with a little peer pressure/observation thrown in for good measure ;)
Since this IS the SuperHeavy shootout, we're looking for the big street cars and not the Mustangs, Camaros, race cars, etc. The 3800 lb minimum weigh-in (car without driver) should take care of that.
This event was first organized in 2001 and held in Bradenton Florida that first year as a way to put the smack talking between the Chevy and Lincoln crowd onto a dragstrip. It's been in Atlanta 3 years in a row now in the interest of a more centralized location for better participation, which has worked great.
I believe we had about 120 racers last year.
We've had only a handful of Marauders so far; I'd love to see more of what we saw at Indy show up and race at Atlanta this year.
Here's the event website with all the info:
www.sshs4.com (http://www.sshs4.com/)
There's also a big SSHS4 thread on www.impalassforum.com (http://www.impalassforum.com/) in the Racing Section.

Cruztaker, Come on down and get some revenge.:duel:
There will be some low 13 sec cars in that Bolt-On heads up ladder, and hopefully at least one in the high 12's ;) I plan to leave the bottle at home, run a tune optimized for natural, and as light on fuel as I dare.

Bring 'em on, Boys!

BillyGman
09-16-2004, 11:42 PM
I dunno if having a heads-up round w/anything goes is all that realistic, or fair w/Marauders vs. cars like Impala SS's which have 70 more cubic inches under the hood than Marauders do. It seems to me that in a heads-up round we should be given the okay for one power adder, while racing Impala SS cars which shouldn't be allowed any, to make-up for the 70 cubic inches we're giving up to you guys. Otherwise the deck is stacked against us. Which I think is exactly how a lot of the Impala SS guys want it to be.:shake:

Infact, a number of you Impala SS guys are running 383 stroker engines which means that we're giving away 100 cubic inches to you. So a heads-up round w/anything goes, as well as another round where everyone including us have to be N/A only isn't sounding to realistic to me as far as sportsmanship goes.

Bradley G
09-17-2004, 03:54 AM
Billy, I agree on the "deck stacked"against us with the SS.I for one would love to see a Marauder (Yours') stomp an SS in a 1320.I'm new to the racing thing so, my naitivity I'm sure shows through.How long has GM produced the 5.7 L?? How long has Ford produced 4.6 dohc??I think they have one up on us there too. I knowone thing for sure "I wouldnt trade my slowazz Marauder for a >13.sec SS":twocents:

Smokie
09-17-2004, 04:07 AM
I was there last year, had a great time. I don't think we should be too concerned with the displacement difference, bring what you have, do your best and let chips fall where they may.

Last year SS won Big Dawg, but Ford won 3 categories and fastest E/T. So just bring what you got..let 'er rip !!!!!

Stop looking at it as a death match MM vs SS, is not, every single individual wants to win. When the MM. first came out some in the SS crowd dismissed it as a joke... I think by now some are aware that the MM. is for real.

Bradley G
09-17-2004, 04:17 AM
It sounds like an awsome event !Trying to figure a way to make it $$.No "death match " intended. Just look'in for a little R E S P E C T just a little bit.No one likes to be "dismissed" or thought of as being a "joke"
I was there last year, had a great time. I don't think we should be too concerned with the displacement difference, bring what you have, do your best and let chips fall where they may.

Last year SS won Big Dawg, but Ford won 3 categories and fastest E/T. So just bring what you got..let 'er rip !!!!!

Stop looking at it as a death match MM vs SS, is not, every single individual wants to win. When the MM. first came out some in the SS crowd dismissed it as a joke... I think by now some are aware that the MM. is for real.

martyo
09-17-2004, 04:21 AM
No one likes to be "dismissed" or thought of as being a "joke"

Yep. Just ask Todd.

2003 MIB
09-17-2004, 04:35 AM
Yep. Just ask Todd.
Kinda ugly to take shots at hime when he can't return fire. 4 more days.

Bradley G
09-17-2004, 04:35 AM
I thought there was a morataureum (sp) on shots before 7:00??
Yep. Just ask Todd.

Bowtie
09-17-2004, 04:42 AM
OK Billy and anybody else so hell bent on the infamous "cubes disadvantage", then just ignore the heads-up part and come bracket race.
Remember, it's supposed to be FUN:party:
A chance for us "Big Fast Car" guys and gals to get together and appreciate each others' rides. If you're only interested in winning, then you're missing out on the majority of the event.

Don't sell yourselves short on the "cubes" issue. The top ends (heads and cams) on your motors are superior to what GM gave us. Take some lessons from Cruztaker and put some gears and converters in those Mercurys to let the engine enjoy its fat zone.
Heck, from what I saw at Indy, you guys definitely have cars that can compete in the heads-up classes. Remember, it's a pro tree, so reaction times can play a big part. Plus, you have to go rounds to win, and believe me, the Impalas with the "Big Dog" mods are very breakage prone. Last year, I qualified 10th in "Big Dawg" (the only heads-up class last year) with my stock heads/cam car and a little shot of juice, and hadn't I been up against a fast AND reliable car in the first round, I would have been in the semi's. Believe me, you don't have to win anything for folks to take notice of your car. We all appreciate each others' unique approach to wringing performance out of these boats.

Billy, since I assume you have no intention of attending again, please don't put the negative spin on this event and spoil it for others who I'm sure would have a great time (Ask the Maruader guys who were there last year). If I'm wrong, and you're going to be there, then email the GASSIT organizers of the event (info on the www.SSHS4.com (http://www.sshs4.com/) website; Scott, Norm, and Tom are some that I know) and make some suggestions to them to level the playing field as you see fit. Also, if anyone thinks they don't fit well into a heads-up class, pick a car (remember, it's not exclusively Impalas and Marauders; there will be older Crown Vics, Lincolns,......etc. too) that you think is on par with yours, and I'm sure he or she will agree to a grudge match ;)
Let's have some fun, Gearheads!

Pat

Edit: Billy, I do see your point only in the "Heads/Cam-modded Stock Displacement" class. This was a recently added elimination at the request of the East Coast Impala Racing Series gang to highlight their low 12 sec 350 ci rides. Yeah, I really can't see any NA Marauder wanting to run against those guys. Buuuutttt.......Are there any Stroked Marauders out there ????? :eek:

martyo
09-17-2004, 04:43 AM
Kinda ugly to take shots at hime when he can't return fire. 4 more days.

I am tired. You can't fault me for picking the low hanging fruit at this hour!

FordNut
09-17-2004, 08:18 AM
:welcome: It's time to get the troups riled up for SSHS4 November 6 at Atlanta Dragway. There will be a 12.99 and under bracket, a 13.00-13.99 bracket, and a 14.00 and over bracket, then also a King of the Hill elimination to determine the overall bracket champion.
.....Plus 3 separate heads up pro-tree eliminations: Big Dawg (anything goes), a class for Stock Displacement Normally Aspirated (heads/cam mods permitted), and Bolt-on (stock cam and heads, no power adder).

Pat, Thanks for the details. I tried to check at the SSHS4 website and it's down due to bandwidth problems. We've got another (maybe 2 or 3 more) thread going about this event, I believe we've got a half-dozen or so already registered.

As I recall the classifications listed at the SSHS4 website didn't clearly state what the modification limits were for the pro-tree classes, simply had names for them. Thanks for clarifications. I guess it's ok to run in 2 different classes, one for the pro tree and another for the brackets?

Also the website didn't explain in detail the schedule for Friday test & tune. I'll check over on the Impala site and try to find more details, unless you have them handy and can post here.

martyo
09-17-2004, 08:29 AM
[U]nless you have them handy and can post here.

Yes, would someone please post them here too? I can't go to the Impala sites....I broke out in hives last time I visited there site {let the smack talk begin} :P

FordNut
09-17-2004, 08:44 AM
Yes, would someone please post them here too? I can't go to the Impala sites....I broke out in hives last time I visited there site {let the smack talk begin} :P

I checked and there is no tech info on the event over there anyway.

Sure hope your car is ready in time.

Bowtie
09-17-2004, 10:03 AM
[QUOTE=FordNut]....I guess it's ok to run in 2 different classes, one for the pro tree and another for the brackets?.....QUOTE]
That's correct.
Regarding Friday Test n Tune, It's just the normal Atlanta Dragway Friday night T & T, open to everybody. I suspect it will be crowded, so I'll pass; plenty of opportunity Saturday to get in the "run all day" lanes. Some of the "trailer queens" will go to the track Friday night and leave their cars and trailers there overnight instead of at the hotel. Security will be provided at the track.

Pat

BillyGman
09-17-2004, 10:18 AM
OK Billy and anybody else so hell bent on the infamous "cubes disadvantage", then just ignore the heads-up part and come bracket race.
Remember, it's supposed to be FUN:party: Uhmm yeah sure, and I suppose that you're going there to lose, right?

Billy, since I assume you have no intention of attending again, please don't put the negative spin on this event and spoil it for others who I'm sure would have a great time (Ask the Maruader guys who were there last year). Yeah, and while you're asking them, you can ask me too since I was one of the Marauder guys who raced the Impala SS guys at the event that Fred Gramby put on in Atco, NJ last year. But apparently you didn't know that Pat. Did you?

......Are there any Stroked Marauders out there ????? :eek: You would be hard pressed to find any stroked Marauder engines out there for the simple reason that the cars have only been on the road since the 2003 production year. Did any of you guys stroke your Impala engines when the car was merely a year or two old? Since your cars are all 10 years old already, it's only natural that many of you have rebuilt and stroked the engines in them. So let's compare apples to apples here Pat.

martyo
09-17-2004, 10:22 AM
So let's compare apples to apples here Pat.

Easy Billy! Pat doesn't know it yet but we do have a few "s*****s" up our sleeves! ;)

Bowtie
09-17-2004, 10:45 AM
I concede, Billy, that this event is obviously not for you.
Forgive my enthusiasm in forwarding info to those who are interested.

Yes, I did know that you were at the Freddy G event. However, since you obviously don't intend to be at SSHS4 (I presume because of the distance thing which you've made very clear in the past), why such strong emotions here?

And Yes, 95% of the attendees don't expect to "win" anything at SSHS4.

Stroked Marauders.......I only asked the question to find out if there MIGHT be one out there. Lighten up, Man ! And Yes, there were Calloway and Lingenfelter 383 Impalas out there in 1995 http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/images/icons/icon12.gif

Pat

Bowtie
09-17-2004, 10:47 AM
Easy Billy! Pat doesn't know it yet but we do have a few "s*****s" up our sleeves! ;)Hehehehe. I'd be disappointed in you guys if you didn't :up:

BillyGman
09-17-2004, 10:49 AM
Easy Billy! Pat doesn't know it yet but we do have a few "s*****s" up our sleeves! ;)Yep, I hear ya Marty. I'll have to assume that Pat is a great guy, and my intention isn't to attack him here. But since he's speaking for the Impala SS group here, I have to look at them as a group based on my dealings w/them on their board in the past as well as at the dragstrip ast year. If you recall Marty, last year when Gavin, you, and I were there in NewJersey to race them, after the bracket racing was over, they had the "Quick 8" event where the fastest 8 cars of the day were pitted up against eachother on a heads-up shootout.

Well I was the only Marauder guy to make into that shootout since I has beaten both you and Gavin, and therefore among the Marauder guys, i was the one to beat there that day. But look what was done once I was entered into that "Quick 8" shootout. They took their fastest guy who was running about a second faster than me all day, and paired me up w/him instead of pairing me up w/any of the other 6 Impala guys. Infact five of them were running in the 13's all day just as I was. So it was very apparent to me that while I was allowed in the final shootout, I was also matched up w/their quickest guy there that day in the very first round simply so they can eliminate the only Marauder guy who made it in to get us out of the way. And that isn't how they were treated at Indy by the Marauder guys.

Pat has been rather respectful w/his posts to most of us here, but if you go to the Impala SS board like I have, you'll see that some of their comments after Indy were things like "LOL yeah those Marauder guys will never invite any Impala SS guys to their events again, since we stole the show by taking three of their trophies"...and also things like "Yeah, there aren't even any Marauders who can give us a good heads-up race". So while Pat insists that it's "all just for fun" and that the Impala guys respect our cars. the majority of the Impala SS guys take it a little more seriously than just fun, and they don't have any respect for our cars. I'm not saying that it's all of them, but it is a number of them. I know, because I've dealt w/them on the track as well as on their own board many times.

BillyGman
09-17-2004, 10:55 AM
there were Calloway and Lingenfelter 383 Impalas out there in 1995 http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/images/icons/icon12.gif

Pat
And how many guys in your ranks had those very pricey cars?

BillyGman
09-17-2004, 11:02 AM
Pat, I don't have anything against you personally whatsoever. I've never even met you, and I have to assume that you're a great guy. I just didn't like it that from what I heard, Logan and the rest of the Marauder guys who were there at Indy, bent over backwards to allow you and the rest of the Impala SS guys to be a major part of that event at Indy, and then you have guys on your board talking junk about us and about our cars by saying things like how you stole the show, and that how we will never invite you there again, and how there aren't even any Marauders who can give any Impala SS guys a good heads up race. And yet you guys always stack the deck against us in your events, while the Marauder people have gone the extra mile to give you plenty of opportunity to beat the Marauders in our event. So for you to imply that it's all for fun and that nothing else matters, is unrealistic. I've traveled out of my homestate to race you guys before, and I've participated on your board a number of times, and so I know this to be true.

Bowtie
09-17-2004, 11:05 AM
I'm sorry you got sour grapes, Billy.

I guarantee if you met those guys who put the smack on the Impala board, you'd understand it's all good-natured cheering and you'd come away liking just about every one of them. Believe it or not, I can sympathize with the way you were knocked out in the Gramby event, and if in fact the resulting pairing was intentional, realize that was an ECIRS, ie. Impala, event, and any one of them that would have been knocked out by you in the first round with alternative pairing would have been entitled to an even bigger gripe, since it was their own series. SSHS was organized by Ford and Chevy guys, and all ladders are set strictly by qualifying ET's.

Pat

Bowtie
09-17-2004, 11:09 AM
And how many guys in your ranks had those very pricey cars?Irrelevant question. The show is open to all. No "rank" required.

MAD-3R
09-17-2004, 11:15 AM
Are there any Stroked Marauders out there ?????

Yes, as a mater of fact there is. But I have a wedding to attend, and can't get out of it.

I was there last year and had a blast. I do wish I could be there this year... oh well.

BillyGman
09-17-2004, 11:17 AM
realize that was an ECIRS, ie. Impala, event, and any one of them that would have been knocked out by you in the first round with alternative pairing would have been entitled to an even bigger gripe, since it was their own series. AAAAHHHH, this is exactly what I'm talking about. In other words, in your events the Impala SS guys are catered to and given the right of way over and above the Marauder guys since the Marauders guys are "merely" the visitors while at Indy, the event was fashioned in a way to give the Impala SS boys just as much opportunity as the Marauder guys had, and that's the difference here. SSHS was organized by Ford and Chevy guys, and all ladders are set strictly by qualifying ET's.

Pat Yeah, and it wasn't that way in Atco last year. Yet you label me as merely someone who has "sour grapes". Not too convincing pat. And while you suggest that it wil be different in this upcoming event, the fact remains that the only heads-up racing that will be allowed is an open class where anything goes, and cars w/70-100 more cubes than our cars have can run strokers as well as have just as many poower adders as we do. While the bracket races will also only pair-up N/A Marauder guys w/ N/A Impala SS guys even if the Marauder guys aren't stroked like some of the Impala SS guys are. Like I said, the deck is stacked against us, and that's the way that Impala SS guys want to keep it since they're afraid of being beat by any Marauders, since they will then have to retract some of their derogatory statements about our cars.

martyo
09-17-2004, 11:21 AM
Pat: I plan on coming and putting a spanking on a few of your guys. It will be fun.

:up:

2003 MIB
09-17-2004, 11:22 AM
I've never even met you, and I have to assume that you're a great guy.
Billy- I have (at Indy) and he is.

I also agree with Pat that all the smack talk is normal between groups. It doesn't bug me what they say over there on their board with their moderators- I like my car- I make the payments- I enjoy it. It's all as silly as if we started fussing about Black, Silver, Blue or DTR as being "better" Marauders.

What's not cool is the way you were treated when you participated in that other event. I regret that and it's bad for the sport and hobby in general. I don't think you'll ever want to come out with the SS folks again- it's our loss not your's. I would have liked to met you face to face.

I do know this: "If we had a Smack Talk Super Heavyweight Showdown"- my money would be on Billy.

Bowtie
09-17-2004, 11:28 AM
...While the bracket races will also only pair-up N/A Marauder guys w/ N/A Impala SS guys even if the Marauder guys aren't stroked like some of the Impala SS guys are. ....
Whoaa there! There are NO stroked Impalas in either of the two NA heads up eliminations. Slow down, go back, and read it again http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/images/icons/icon12.gif

martyo
09-17-2004, 11:34 AM
I do know this: "If we had a Smack Talk Super Heavyweight Showdown"- my money would be on Billy.

Wooooot!!!!!!

$20 bucks on Billy! Any takers????

MAD-3R
09-17-2004, 11:39 AM
Wooooot!!!!!!

$20 bucks on Billy! Any takers????

If he's going ageinst Todd, I'll take 10 of that. IF it's S/C #5, I may be Menaced to cover it all.

BillyGman
09-17-2004, 11:43 AM
What's not cool is the way you were treated when you participated in that other event. I regret that and it's bad for the sport and hobby in general. I don't think you'll ever want to come out with the SS folks again- it's our loss not your's. I would have liked to met you face to face.

I'm glad to see that atleast there is one person here who sees past the polite sounding smoke screen that some of the Impala SS guys put down. let me make it clear that while I was at the "Impala SS vs. the Marauders & Crown Vics" event last year, most of the Impala SS guys were all very polite to me in person. However when it comes to the racing events that they put on, and the way the classes are fashioned, the attitude of "we come first, and the Marauders must be beat" shines through. And that is evident even here in this comment by Pat.

"Believe it or not, I can sympathize with the way you were knocked out in the Gramby event, and if in fact the resulting pairing was intentional, realize that was an ECIRS, ie. Impala, event, and any one of them that would have been knocked out by you in the first round with alternative pairing would have been entitled to an even bigger gripe, since it was their own series"

"Their own series", uh? Yet they did attach a title to it called "The Impala SS vs. the Marauders & Crown Vics". So much for that attempted justification.

Bowtie
09-17-2004, 11:56 AM
OK, one last post here, and then I give up.

I stand corrected and apologize. Since I did not participate in the Gramby event, I didn't realize it was billed as the "Impalas vs. Crown Vics/Marauders" event. Forgive me, I'm a relative newcomer to the racing scene myself and not as entrenched into all the happenings over there on the East Coast as you might have assumed I was.

If elimination ladders in heads-up racing are not set strictly by qualifying ET's, then I disagree with it. If somebody singled you out like that in the past, they were wrong, and with that attitude should not have invited you there in the first place. Period.

I'm gone.
Now, can we just have an event ? :rock:

Pat

BillyGman
09-17-2004, 12:01 PM
OK, one last post here, and then I give up.

If elimination ladders in heads-up racing are not set strictly by qualifying ET's, then I disagree with it. If somebody singled you out like that in the past, they were wrong and should not have invited you there in the first place. Period.

PatThankyou Pat. Well said. I agree, and that's exactly how I feel. That BTW, was not my original point here. In the past I seem to remember how an event at Englishtown staged the Impala SS guys against the Marauders, and the Marauders were allowed one power adder whereas the Impala SS guys were not because of the extra 70 cubic inches that those cars have under the hood. And I think that would be fair just as the guys at Englishtown last year must have thought that was the fair way too. And the marauders who have two power adders should be paired up w/the Impalas that have only one. But this event in Atlanta is not set-up like that, and I just wanted to make that known here. I don't expect you to answer for that Pat. I just want to point out that the deck has been stacked against us to ensure that the Impala SS guys get the most wins. If that doesn't matter to some of the Marauder guys, then cool. They should go and race anyway.That's their perogative. Just let it be known.

Paul T. Casey
09-17-2004, 12:29 PM
Note to Pat and BillyG.
I'm going to go down and prove that Marauder guys are just flat out better drivers who can spot 70 or 100 cubes in a bracket style event. :rolleyes: Actually, having been there last year, these guys were very gracious hosts, quite unlike what you and the NE guys found in Jersey. It is a very cool event. Most of the smack talk was from some dude in a T-Bird, whom was disposed of rather nicely by my wife in a borrowed car (owner can't chime in right now, but I'm sure everybody knows the guy who is most liberal with his keys.) There are also some other New England guys who come down, can't quite remember who, but it would be cool to see the Gman car there.

2003 MIB
09-17-2004, 12:33 PM
:fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire:

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!- I don't Pat to go away anymore than I want to tell Billy to "sit down and shut up"...Pat said his piece and the event is out there and we're invited. Billy said his piece about the structure of the event and his past experiences BUT he didn't encourage anyone to NOT participate- He made a personal choice not to go.
You're part of the crew here now, Bowtie- as welcome as anybody else in my book. Don't stay away because of a disagreement- we have them all the time.

Smokie
09-17-2004, 12:37 PM
Billy you have made valid points in regards to some talk on Impala boards...usually those that know the least about our cars make the dumbest comments. It has only been 2 years and we are just starting to frequent the tracks.

When Pat arrived at Indy I am sure he had an opinion of our cars and our club... I also feel for certain that when Pat left Indy his opinion had changed...how much I cannot say.

You don't need to win a trophy to earn respect, the guy that beat me 2 out 3 at SSHS3 came up to me after I caught him and passed him at the end of the 1/4 and shook my hand and congratulated me... that is how respect is earned.

Barry (CRUZTAKER) earned tremendous respect at Indy and yet he did not win the last race. It will take some time; the respect will come when our cars show at the track and do well. It will not happen overnight, but it will happen.

....and there will always be trash talk. And there will always be classy guys.

But above all: Enjoy what you are doing and do your best.:up:

2003 MIB
09-17-2004, 12:40 PM
Billy you have made valid points in regards to some talk on Impala boards...usually those that know the least about our cars make the dumbest comments. It has only been 2 years and we are just starting to frequent the tracks.

When Pat arrived at Indy I am sure he had an opinion of our cars and our club... I also feel for certain that when Pat left Indy his opinion had changed...how much I cannot say.

You don't need to win a trophy to earn respect, the guy that beat me 2 out 3 at SSHS3 came up to me after I caught him and passed him at the end of the 1/4 and shook my hand and congratulated me... that is how respect is earned.

Barry (CRUZTAKER) earned tremendous respect at Indy and yet he did not win the last race. It will take some time; the respect will come when our cars show at the track and do well. It will not happen overnight, but it will happen.

....and there will always be trash talk. And there will always be classy guys.

But above all: Enjoy what you are doing and do your best.:up:

Man, I wish I'd typed that...:rock:

Paul T. Casey
09-17-2004, 12:42 PM
BTW Pat, do you know if the Lazy Destroyer has compiled his teaser for this yet?

MAD-3R
09-17-2004, 12:46 PM
I just want to point out that the deck has been stacked against us to ensure that the Impala SS guys get the most wins.

How?

I was out at the SSHS4 web site looking over the classes, and what was posted here, and I can't see where things are stacked aguinst us other then they having one cam to replace and we have four, and the aftermarket is fully behind them, but we have just a few dedicated proffesinals to help us out.

Billy,
I think your selling the Marauder and yourself short to say they are delibretly setting us up to fail. What happened in Englishtown was sad and if intentional, wrong. But I was in GA last year, and these guys were shown a few things.

Each year, we will have faster and faster Marauders, and more and more competing in the faster classes. This is only the third season for some of us, and we don't have the support that the SS guys had in the begining.

Come out and run when the opprotunity presents it'sself, and spit in the eye of anyone who says the Maruader is crap, but don't EVER say we can't compete. We can, we do and we do win.

BillyGman
09-17-2004, 01:15 PM
I don't wish to re-hash this. I've made my points, and if you don't understand what I meant then you're welcome to go back and read my posts again. But just for some clarification, I didn't race the Impala SS guys in Englishtown, NJ. I raced them in Atco, NJ. and there was NO trash talking there. Eveyone was polite, however it was set-up in a way to make sure that the marauders were eliminated in the first round of the heads-up shootout to get them out of the way. Poor sportsmanship. That's all. The trash talk was directed at me and at the rest of Marauder owners on their board when I was on there. And that's where those quotes came from in my posts.

I mentioned Englishtown simply because there was another event last year at Englishtown that clearly stated the rules being that one power adder was alllowed to the Marauders, but not to the Impala SS guys because the bigger engines they have. And the people who were at Englishtown then I believe had good reason the make the class rules like that.Where else have you ever seen heads-up racing w/a signifigant difference in engine displacement w/out some type of handicap rule given to the owners of the smaller engines? If you disagree, then that's your thang, and that's okay. I've stated my case.

CRUZTAKER
09-17-2004, 03:49 PM
You're part of the crew here now, Bowtie- as welcome as anybody else in my book. Don't stay away because of a disagreement- we have them all the time.
I agree with this. I am sorry I didn't reply earlier to this thread. Actually I saw it, but overlooked it for the moment not knowing it was Pat that started the thread.

I am thinking there is no way I can do Atlanta this year, but perhaps as time goes on, and the telecom work runs out, I may pack up the family and head south to Florida and stop in ATL on the way.

I must say however, I am embarrassed by some of the dialogue preceding my post. This thread was regarding a cool meet to race other cars, specifically Impallas. I expected some interest, and some novel grudging....but the griping...:dunno:

GarageMahal
09-17-2004, 04:06 PM
Well said Barry

2003 MIB
09-17-2004, 06:30 PM
I must say however, I am embarrassed by some of the dialogue preceding my post. This thread was regarding a cool meet to race other cars, specifically Impallas. I expected some interest, and some novel grudging....but the griping...:dunno:
I get it completely Barry:
1) Pat posts and invites us to ATL.
2) Billy's a Bro and wants to let everyone know about a bad experience and poor treatment he had at ATCO. He doesn't want us to have to go through that.
3) Pat's a good dude and explains why he doesn't think the same thing will happen in ATL.
4) Everyone explains why they are right and everyone else is wrong.
4) Just a misunderstanding between two folks who were both trying to do the right thing.
I fault no one and hope to see as many folks as possible in Atlanta...Note to Ford: I will not be racing.:nono:

BillyGman
09-17-2004, 10:38 PM
Thanks for your intelligent statements MIB. I guess it's just too bad if I "embarrassed" Barry. That's his problem, not mine. My intent is simply to expose something that I feel is wrong and unsportsman like, and not to tell people where they should race and where they shouldn't.

CRUZTAKER
09-18-2004, 07:28 AM
Water under the bridge...

All one can do is see how this meet goes and take it from there. Time has passed and we all know a little more about each other.

As far THEM having a bigger motor...they knew that then, and know that now. BUT, so do we, and always have. That's part of the game. Most matches are like that in life, the bigger guy always challenges the smaller guy.

It's similar to football. They're ALL big fellows, but one is always better....and as the old saying goes..."any given Sunday".

Billy: You did not personally embarrass me by your first comment, however it's difficult to communicate on the web without some type of misunderstanding. Comments in this nature must be thought out carefully. You are just taking care of the masses, and that's a good thing.

Two years down the road now, I feel we know what we are getting ourselves into now, and we should put those first meetings behind us, and move on to new experiences and see if things are better.

I have been recently enlightened by a new group of folks in my neighborhood that have been similarly shunned. The Ford Focus group. Little car, smaller hp, their own bracket at FFW....many folks are bent that they have taken the limelight and become quite an outstanding group of mod heads and participate in some of the best events I have seen thus far. The most interesting thing....they always invite the Honda owners to their show downs. There is or should I say, can be, a big difference in their matchups, but the comeradie (sp) never ceases to amaze me.

We can do this, and be proud as well.

Marty: Bring the beast! We do however need a shoe in!!!!

martyo
09-18-2004, 07:36 AM
Marty: Bring the beast! We do however need a shoe in!!!!

Yes Barry , that is part of the plan....

Glenn
09-18-2004, 11:31 AM
I am not any kind of racer and will probalby not do very well at SSHS4. Even though I will drop the hammer on the streets in a flash and usually I am not disappointed. But, this year's event is going to be a Total MM event. MM will have the best showing of any event since Ford made the MMs. Personally, I can't wait to go and if I break 14.2 I will be delighted even if I lose because we will have some very strong cars at the event. We need ALL the strong MMs to show up and I know BillyG's car is very strong and would do us all proud to come and show what a real S/C MM can do. Hopefully, Barry can come to run his quick NA MM. Fellows, this is our time in November another opportunity like this will probably not occur. We will have the bragging rights for years if our strong runners show. I ask BillyG, Barry and all the other strong MMs to come and run. I will try and do my small share, but I can not hold a candle to the really hot MM performers. I have learned that timing in life is everything, this is our time, let's show how good the MMs really are before our time also passes.

My $.02. Glenn

Smokie
09-18-2004, 11:44 AM
Glenn, very well put. Thank you. This is a great opportunity for our cars, it is a first class event, well run.

We need ALL our strong cars to show, last year we had mostly stock cars and novices such as myself....we did our best.

We have stronger cars this year and our drivers have more experience....they just need to show.

stumpy
09-21-2004, 08:00 PM
Hello all, I'm not hear to cause any trouble but I just have to to rebut some of Billy' misstatements about the Impala vs. CV/Marauder event last year. :soapbox:

The event held last December at Atco was an annual Impala SS vs. Crown Vic event that was moved from Cecil County after a snow out the previous weekend. The rules at that time were that the CVs could have one power adder yet the Impalas had to run NA. The reasoning was that the fastest FI CVs were barely in the 13s, while most Impalas were running deep into the 12s NA.

I invited the Marauders to the event thinking that they would make a much better showing than the CVs, esp. if Jet showed up with his recently blown MM. In fact Jet would have been in the top 2 given that Karl broke and could have taken it all. I was very glad to see Billy, Marty and Gavin show up just as things got under way. Although, I was just a little bit nervous about the Impala guys showing too much spirit and rivalry. I was having PCM problems and didn't get many trial runs, but from what I did see it appeared as if everyone was getting along great. In my opinion the Impala crowd not treated Billy and the other like friends, but they seemed genuinely impressed with the fast times Marty and Billy were putting down. I heard very good comments about Billy' car and it was clear that they were showing the MM a great deal of respect. Heck, one of the Impala guys even passed out Ford racing decals and Billy and the others seemed to appreciate the friendly gesture.

As for being singled out in the heads up race, Billy qualified 5th. The ECIRS does heads up races 1-5, 2-6, 3-7, 4-8. Although this is not the typical pairing, it is done this way to make it more difficult for the no. 1 qualifier. Either way, Billy was facing a faster car in the heads up race. The guy who coordinated the race that day is a long time racer and is highly respected and trusted by the Impala SS crowd!

Please know that if you come to an Impala SS event sponsored by ECIRS you will be treated with respect and always delt an even hand.

Thanks,
Glen Koenig
POSSI Drag Race Coordinator and ECIRS member

BillyGman
09-21-2004, 10:01 PM
Glen, I honestly do believe that you have NOT come here to make trouble. I've always found you to be very helpful to me since that very first day that I met you at the track in Englishtown, NJ. Right from the start you began to offer me advice and racing tips, and I always appreciated that. I remember that you had your Vette that day, and you were running some respectable times w/it. The one thing that I noticed about you right from that start is that you didn't avoid me simply because I was driving a Ford product, and you were driving a Chevy.

As far as the way that the pairing was in Atco last year, I also appreciate your explanation about that. The funny thing is that despite me asking three Impala guys last year at that event as to why I was paired w/someone who was running much faster than I was, and infact had the fastest times there that day, instead of w/someone who ran pretty close to me, nobody offered me answers including the guy I was put up against ("Nabil" I think is his name?). So you're the first one that has been able to explain this to me. Thanks for your effort. I still think that Marauders should be allowed one more power adder than Impalas because of the extra 70 cubes, but I can't expect to call the shots here since I'm not the one staging the event. So ofcourse those decisions are made by the ones who are. And that's understandable.

BTW, I wish you the best in this upcoming event. You've run some pretty impressive ET's w/your torque monster.

TAF
09-22-2004, 06:38 AM
WOW...I missed THIS whole thread....Billy...you know you and I are buds and I understand where you were coming from, and glad someone finally gave you an explanation....

So.....bring that beast on down here!!!!!!

Car #69 will be present and accounted for at SSHS4....come on folks...come on down/over/up....let's have some fun!!!!!

Paul T. Casey
09-22-2004, 05:14 PM
Let's go racin"!!! I'll be there with my big, fat, slow, car and my big, fat, quick mouth. Dang, I keep getting those thing backwards! :rofl:

FordNut
09-22-2004, 11:45 PM
Let's go racin"!!! I'll be there with my big, fat, slow, car and my big, fat, quick mouth. Dang, I keep getting those thing backwards! :rofl:
Didn't see your name on the SSHS4 participant list yet. Better get registered!

Amazing there's only about 45 registered participants so far.

martyo
09-23-2004, 03:24 AM
Amazing there's only about 45 registered participants so far.

Brian: People always register for these things late. It's human nature.

Paul T. Casey
09-23-2004, 07:15 PM
Mr. Fordnut. Due to my work schedule, I'll register when I get down to Chattanooga. (No flame or sarcasim intended with this post.) I work on the road, and sometimes I don't always get my mail. When I determine my address in Chat., I'll register. This event was so much fun last year, I couldn't miss it this year, especially since it may be the last one.

FordNut
09-24-2004, 01:08 PM
(No flame or sarcasim intended with this post.)

especially since it may be the last one.

No offense taken, just trying to increase participation, hoping for an impressive Marauder turnout!

I saw that "final showdown" comment on the SSHS4 website. What's up with that? Will this really be our last chance?

RCSignals
09-24-2004, 03:38 PM
Pat has been rather respectful w/his posts to most of us here, but if you go to the Impala SS board like I have, you'll see that some of their comments after Indy were things like "LOL yeah those Marauder guys will never invite any Impala SS guys to their events again, since we stole the show by taking three of their trophies"...and also things like "Yeah, there aren't even any Marauders who can give us a good heads-up race". So while Pat insists that it's "all just for fun" and that the Impala guys respect our cars. the majority of the Impala SS guys take it a little more seriously than just fun, and they don't have any respect for our cars. I'm not saying that it's all of them, but it is a number of them. I know, because I've dealt w/them on the track as well as on their own board many times.

Billy yes Pat's an Ok guy, and really secretly wants a Marauder.

Now all I can say to your representation of posts on the SS forum about Indy, is that I suspect NONE of those comments come from anyone who was actually at Indy.

Paul T. Casey
09-24-2004, 07:32 PM
Yes Mr. Fordnut, this is indeed the last shootout, so they say. They, being GaSSit I believe. The strains of putting on the show are starting to take it's toll, or thoughts to that affect. IMHO, I think that we are getting too fast and are staring to scare them. Now if we could all quit bickering and get on with the business of quick ET's and high traps things will be grand. The timing for the event is pretty good, as a new speed shop has just opened in my town. Good people, so I think I'll spend my money there for some safety equipment. I've posted a couple times over on their site (the one linked in this thread). Don't tell them, but they seem to be a good bunch of guys, just a little confused about the Hottest of the hot sedans. I'm having some fun anyway, and fortunately, I won't mind eating a little crow after the race as long as I can wash it down with some humble pie. Until then, I will continue to :poke:

stumpy
09-24-2004, 10:40 PM
The GASSIT guys are getting tired of hosting the event. It's a big event and a ton of work to organize and they just want a break. A group of us from up North are thinking to continue the Super Heavy Shootout next year. We're thinking to take it to Southern Md. It'll be more centrally located on the East coast and hopefully it'll draw more of the Northern crowd. Likewise, the Northern air may be better for faster times! :beer:

jspradii
09-24-2004, 11:20 PM
Yesssss................:duel:

martyo
09-25-2004, 06:20 AM
Yesssss................:duel:

Jim are we going to show them a few "Court room antics" at SSHS4????

jspradii
09-25-2004, 12:36 PM
Jim are we going to show them a few "Court room antics" at SSHS4????
Certainly...........I'll let you be the JUDGE.....:banghead:

Glenn
09-25-2004, 01:07 PM
Good to see some more "Big Dog" MMs taking an interest in SSHS4. This will be the last year for Atlanta. I really believe we are going to walk away from this year's event with the "bragging rights" regardless of the 383 stokers or LT1 Vet engines that are banned but may still try and run (what a fuss that caused on the SS board). Many really fast SS Chevys (11/12 second cars) are not going to make it to Atlanta. So our "King Cobra MM" will probably be the Big Dog class winner. But, we still need more strong MMs to attend. I mean 12/13 second cars. I just don't see this opportunity again in 2005. Calling all strong MMs. See you on November 6.

Glenn

martyo
09-25-2004, 02:06 PM
Good to see some more "Big Dog" MMs taking an interest in SSHS4. This will be the last year for Atlanta. I really believe we are going to walk away from this year's event with the "bragging rights" regardless of the 383 stokers or LT1 Vet engines that are banned but may still try and run (what a fuss that caused on the SS board). Many really fast SS Chevys (11/12 second cars) are not going to make it to Atlanta. So our "King Cobra MM" will probably be the Big Dog class winner. But, we still need more strong MMs to attend. I mean 12/13 second cars. I just don't see this opportunity again in 2005. Calling all strong MMs. See you on November 6.

Glenn

Well Jim S. and I will be there trying to get appointed to the "Supreme Court."

Who owns and is driving the "King Cobra MM""?

2003 MIB
09-27-2004, 05:57 AM
Well Jim S. and I will be there trying to get appointed to the "Supreme Court."

I believe this will be the battle for the rights to the name "Legal Knievel". I started calling Jim that last Novemeber after seeing a pretty scary run on an East Texas track. Marty used the moniker for a while too. I'm glad I'm going (not racing- you sneaky Ford lurkers) and shall decide based on driving technique and bribing skills.:burnout:

Who owns and is driving the "King Cobra MM""?
I dunno but it's a really neat name.

martyo
09-27-2004, 06:06 AM
Well, if I lose my battle to Jim I can always call the car "Street Legal" which was my runner up name anyway.

2003 MIB
09-27-2004, 06:26 AM
Well, if I lose my battle to Jim I can always call the car "Street Legal" which was my runner up name anyway.
Diggin it! Much better than
"Pro Street Bono" or "Habeas Carpus"

Macon Marauder
09-27-2004, 07:37 AM
...But, we still need more strong MMs to attend. I mean 12/13 second cars. I just don't see this opportunity again in 2005. Calling all strong MMs...Glenn
:(
Mine's just a weak, 15 second stocker...

martyo
09-27-2004, 12:33 PM
Diggin it! Much better than
"Pro Street Bono" or "Habeas Carpus"

Dan you need a nap! :loco:

FiveO
09-27-2004, 04:47 PM
I registered over at the Impala SS Forums.

I may try and make this...I'll check my schedule and budget.

I've been known for impulse trips across country to spend a few hours drag racing.

I'm driving 10 hours one way to Lapeer in Michigan to drag race for 7 hours in late October...then driving home.

Whats another trip :lol:

1100 miles one way is a haul though...we'll see. And I have my stock tires to worry about :)

RCSignals
10-06-2004, 01:49 PM
.............................. .............................. ...............

Cruztaker, Come on down and get some revenge.:duel:

The only real revenge Barry needs is against that pesky light tree