PDA

View Full Version : A tip for my fellow S/Cer customers:

BillyGman
09-19-2004, 10:05 PM
I have put 6,000 miles on my 03 Marauder since I installed the Trilogy S/Cer on it. Some of those miles were hard ones since I do like to get into the gas pedal on the street, and I also did take my car to the dragstrip during that time. As I've written before in other posts of mine on this board, I'm thrilled and completely satisfied w/the Trilogy S/cer kit, and the results I've obtained w/it are superb. It hasn't taken away from the daily driveability of this car at all, while at the same time, it's turned it into a street rocketship. I've also found Trilogy Motorsports to be a class act, and the best aftermarket company that I've ever dealt with. So I have no complaints w/Trilogy Motorsports, with their product, nor w/Jerry Barnes (great guy!!!).

I did have a very minor issue w/the serpentine belt since installing the Trilogy S/Cer kit. It was minor, since it merely had to do w/an occasional chirp coming from the belt. I don't know if I should even call it a squeal, since it would only last for about a half of a second each time it occured. It began happening only immediately after backing off the throttle after full throttle blasts. But after awhile, I began to notice it during full throttle as well. Again, it didn't last very long when it did occur. It wasn't even a full second in duration when it did. But the frequency of occurence began to increase after about 1,500 miles. It still wasn't even a daily thing, but I just didn't like that noise.

I asked a couple other Trilogy owners, and both of them said that they hadn't noticed anything like this on their Trilogy equipped Marauders. So this might not even be a common occurence. But incase anyone else here begins to notice this happening, and it bothers you, I want to tell you how I've remedied it. I talked to Jerry Barnes about this, and he was quick to offer to send me a new belt for free. But I wasn't neccessarily looking for a freebie, although I really did appreciate him making the offer.

I discovered a type of belt from GoodYear called the "Gatorback" Poly-V belt. They make them in both 6 rib, and 8 rib designs which replace the standard 6 rib and 8 rib belts. These Goodyear "Gatorback" Poly-V belts have cross cuts in the ribs that makes them look like an alligator's back (thus the name "Gatorback"). And they're designed to grip better than standard belts do, just as a snow tire tread will grip better in the snow than a standard tire because of the tread design.

So originally I replaced only the standard 8 rib belt that came w/the Trilogy S/Cer kit thinking that the momentary squeal, or chirp that I was hearing once in awhile had to be the blower belt because of the increased resistence that blower belts have on them. But I found that the chirp or momentary squeal was still occuring when I pounded on the gas pedal. So I then went and purchased another Goodyear Gatorback belt which was a 6 ribbed serpentine one for the accessory drive pullies, and installed it. And the noise was gone.

I've put close to a couple thousand miles on these belts now, and they don't slip, chirp, or squeal at all like the standard belt was doing. So I just want to pass on this info incase any of you have noticed the same thing as I did. This in no way changes my opinion of, nor my satisfaction with, the Trilogy S/Cer kit, since this was a minor expense, and didn't require a lot of work. I still look for reasons to take my car out since it's so fun to drive now that it's S/Ced!!!! Below are the two Goodyear part #'s for the 6 rib and 8 rib "Gatorback" Poly-V belts that you'll need. They're simply better belts than others are, and they're made to hold up better, and grip better also. When you see them, that will be obvious to you anyway. I highly recommend them.

8 ribbed blower belt, GoodYear part # 4080510

6 ribbed serpentine accessory drive belt, GoodYear part # 4060980

and also for those interested, here's a link to the Goodyear site where you can see pics and a desciption of the gatorback belt......

http://www.goodyearbeltsandhose.com/cars/gatopoly.html

FiveO
09-19-2004, 10:30 PM
Good to know Billy.

I've only had my Trilogy for just over a week so I can't really say I've had any problems...other than being unable to stay out of the pedal...but thats an unfortunate side effect :D