PDA

View Full Version : Carolina Marauder Member gets S/C'ed!! Trilogy Style!!

Marauderman
09-20-2004, 08:27 AM
Butch makes it "2" for the Carolina Group

Congradulations is in order to Butch , from our group who suprised us with his newly installed (Two days) Trilogy Supercharger set up when he arrived at the Auto Fair this past Saturday--- Way to go Butch!!! and thats not all folks---he also installed a complete DVD , Radar, CD, with screens both in the dash and overhead flip down from inside for the rear passengers....

All I gotta say is WOW!!! It looks like Butch and I will have to have some play time together---

It's great that we now have two members with superchargers...and different ones too--so again--Great job Butch-----Pic of his new thrill is in the gallery from this weeks Auto FAir--check it out!!

How about telling us all about it.........you have the floor my friend.......Tom

Butch
09-20-2004, 06:40 PM
Well....As a couple of you heard at the show, the actual install of the supercharger kit took 18 hours.

It was my dad, my best friend, and me doing the install. My dad has over 30 years of experience working on cars, and has his own shop to do the work in, which helped a lot. My best friend, Joe, is one of those guys that would help me get rid of a body if I really needed to, and still keep his mouth shut about it, and he has helped me tear down/rebuild quite a few engines over the years, just so he could learn how to do it. Me...Well, I just know how to work on cars from doing it with my dad.

We were actually done in about 16.5 hours, but on the last step of the install, we ran into a problem. We put the chip in, but the car wouldn't turn over. We cleaned the contacts MANY times, and still the car would not turn over.

I worked with Jerry Barnes and with frdwrnch on diagnosing the problem. At first, we thought that I may have just gotten a bad chip, or the contacts on the computer were not clean. Well...I work on computers for a living, and I knew that the contacts were clean, but I cleaned them multiple times anyway. This was Saturday night/Sunday morning, and Monday was a holiday. I called Jerry, who thank goodness, was available to assist on a holiday weekend, and he said that he would send me a new chip, but it would be Tuesday before it could go out.

So....I wait....

Wed comes around. I get the new chip. Clean the contacts once more, just for the hell of it. Put the chip in, and NOTHING. Again the car won't turn over. Now, I am getting nervous. I call frdwrnch and he walks me through some tests. It seems that the PATS security is confused.

We take the chip out, and the car will crank, so we know that there is something wrong with either the chips, or communication from the car's computer to the chip.

Again, I contact Jerry, and he is VERY confused. He has his techs work on it with me, and we still can't figure out why the car will crank without the chip,but won't with the chip. (FYI...The car runs VERY rich without the chip....so, it's not possible to play yet.)

Now, we start to think that the car's computer is bad, so I start to talk to my dealer to see what they think. I trailer the car to them, and have them plug up to it to see if they can find any codes to give us a clue as to what is going on. Well, they pull some codes, but nothing that points to the problem. They hook up some more specialized equipment, and BINGO, they can't talk to the computer.

Not going into details, but after a couple of days, I get a new computer for the car. I take it back to the dealer, and they run some more tests on my original computer just "for the record". They force a reload on the original computer, and are now able to talk to it, but it doesn't act right. After a couple of hours of "playing", they put the replacement computer in and program it, and verify that they can talk to it properly, before we clean the contacts. Everything checks out ok.

We clean the contacts, put the chip in, and it cranks! Yay!!!! It was the computer causing all of my headaches!

I take the tech out for a "test drive" and he loves it! I now have to go back up there one Saturday to take about 5 other techs, and two of the service managers out for a spin.

So...All in all, everything turned out fine, just meant that I was without my car for almost a full two weeks, which REALLY sucked! Especially seeing the supercharger sitting there on top of the motor, just begging to be taken for a ride!

Car is MUCH faster now. It will spin the tires about as long as I want it to.

Sorry for the long post, but just wanted to get some of the details in there....

Hopefully nobody else doing this install will run into the problems that I did! But, I do want to say that Jerry Barnes was supportive throughout the process, and I especially want to say "thanks" to frdwrnch for his support, both mentally, and mechanically!

Agent M79
09-20-2004, 06:54 PM
Congrats Butch!

Planning on heading to ATL in October? Sure would like to see the new numbers on the dyno!

You and marauderman need to swap keys and compare notes and post each of your impressions up on the site.

FiveO
09-20-2004, 07:01 PM
Congrats again Butch.....I understand your happiness as my Trilogy was installed by Lidio just last week.

By the way....what serial number did you get?

Mine was #48.

Just curious...we might be number "brothers" :D

jgc61sr2002
09-20-2004, 07:05 PM
Butch - Some story. Congrats. :up: Glad it worked out. :D

SC Cheesehead
09-21-2004, 04:31 AM
Butch,

Wow! Didn't get to hear the whole story at Autofair, didn't realize you had all those problems getting up and running, glad to see everything worked out.

You mentioned that your mileage went up slightly after installing the Trilogy; I tried using that on Ms. Cheesehead as a selling point for superchargiing......she hasn't bought it so far. Oh well, I'll try anything once.:cool4:

SCCH

Butch
09-21-2004, 11:00 AM
Agent - I don't know if I will be able to make it to Atlanta or not. I've got so much catching up to do around the house since I took the past two weeks working on my car, and the car show. Hate you couldn't make it. Me and Marauderman already are talking about lining them up sometime soon.

FiveO - I believe I was told I am #45. Got to still fill out my warranty card to send in!

Cheesehead - Yeah my gas milage went up 2 MPG on my first trip. I made another trip and I actually got 28 MPG this last trip of 100 miles. I really babied it to see what it could get. The only reason I can account for the improvement is because of my bad computer before, but even then, I was getting what I thought was decent gas milage.

I talked to Jerry again today, and he was very happy to see that I got everything fixed. I'm sure he was tired of hearing from me!!!! Heck, I was tired of hearing from myself!!!!

Marauderman
09-22-2004, 05:12 AM
Agent - I don't know if I will be able to make it to Atlanta or not. I've got so much catching up to do around the house since I took the past two weeks working on my car, and the car show. Hate you couldn't make it. Me and Marauderman already are talking about lining them up sometime soon.

FiveO - I believe I was told I am #45. Got to still fill out my warranty card to send in!

Cheesehead - Yeah my gas milage went up 2 MPG on my first trip. I made another trip and I actually got 28 MPG this last trip of 100 miles. I really babied it to see what it could get. The only reason I can account for the improvement is because of my bad computer before, but even then, I was getting what I thought was decent gas milage.

I talked to Jerry again today, and he was very happy to see that I got everything fixed. I'm sure he was tired of hearing from me!!!! Heck, I was tired of hearing from myself!!!!

Hope you can make it to Alt...and Great story for all to read about your install--and oh yeah--don't forget about keeping me posted on ther rim stuff......and uh..put new rubber on # 7's rear yesterday--she needed it badly-- left marks leaving shop with each change---..love that feeling don't ya!!.....Tom