PDA

View Full Version : how to make headers quieter??

darebren
09-22-2004, 05:31 AM
what would be the best way to make the kook's headers quieter? I have tried a 3 chamber muffler, and a wide open muffler and both still can be heard from a mile away. I wonder if welding back in the original cat and muffler would do it??

I don't want to pay again to have the headers taken out, so I will leave those in, but wondered about adding 2 more cats? or the stock mufflers?

martyo
09-22-2004, 05:35 AM
Cats aren't really designed for noise suppression. It's all in the mufflers or taking the headers back out. I ran the SVO shorty headers for a long time with the stock mufflers and the combo was not unreasonably loud. I would move back towards a stock type muffler if your goal is sound suppression.

TooManyFords
09-22-2004, 05:39 AM
That's what I did! I added the cutouts and put the stock mufflers back in. When closed and running stock, the headers don't make any more noise than the factory system did. I got my cake and can eat it too!

John

johnjamis
09-22-2004, 06:07 AM
I replaced the exhaust extensions with two magnaflow stainless steel bullet mufflers. This lowered the noise slightly to an acceptable level for family car use.

woaface
09-22-2004, 01:55 PM
Listen to music really loud for a while. Invest in a home theater system and blast it. Go to a few rock concerts. After a few months they won't be so loud. And think of the horsepower you've kept and the kids that won't be so annoying anymore!

CRUZTAKER
09-22-2004, 05:28 PM
I thought you were selling this car? Just don't start it....it'll be really quiet!:nocomm:

BillyGman
09-22-2004, 11:18 PM
darebren, Marty, and TooManyFords are correct. I heard Marty's car last year when we both went to the dragstrip twice, and his car was only slightly louder than stock.