PDA

View Full Version : Tips For The Detroit Tourist:

dwasson
09-22-2004, 02:18 PM
You must learn to pronounce the city name. It's Di-troit. NOT DEE-troit. If you pronounce it DEE-Troit then we will assume you are from Toledo and here for the country Music hoe-down.

Forget the traffic rules you learned elsewhere. Detroit has its own version of traffic rule s... Hold on and pray!

The morning rush hour is from 6:00am to 10:00am.

The evening rush hour is from 3:00pm to 7:00pm.

Friday's rush hour starts Thursday morning.

Weekends are open game.

If you actually stop at a yellow light, you will be rear-ended, cussed out and possibly shot.

If you're first off the starting line when the light turns green, count to five before going. This will avoid getting in the way of cross-traffic who just ran their yellow light to keep from getting shot.

Schoenherr can ONLY be properly pronounced by a native of the Detroit metro area. That goes for Gratiot too.

Construction and renovation on I-94, I-96, I-75 and I-275 is a way of life. Just deal with it.

If someone actually has their turn signal on, it is probably a factory defect or they are "out-of-towners."

All old men with white hair wearing a hat have total right-of-way.

The minimum acceptable speed on I-696 is 85 regardless of the posted speeds. Anything less is considered downright SISSY.

Oh, and don't even think of allowing more than one car length between cars!

The attractive wrought iron on the windows and doors in Detroit is NOT ornamental. "DO NOT get out of your car".

Never stare at the driver of the car with the bumper sticker that says "Keep honking, I'm reloading."

If you are in the left lane, and only going 70 in a 60 mph zone, people are not waving 'because they are so friendly in Detroit.' I would suggest you duck.

I-275/I-696 is our daily version of NASCAR.

It's not M-10, it's "the Lodge."

That's not a lake, it's a pothole.

If someone tells you it's on Outer Drive, you better hope you have a map.

The left turn is simple. If you want to turn left, go a 1/4 of a mile past your turn, get to the left, then make a left, then make a right. NOW you have gone left. (ONLY IN MICHIGAN....WE INVENTED IT!!)

Fast4Door
09-22-2004, 06:23 PM

Oh man, even a map is no help!
My stomach hurts just thinkin' about it...

merc406
09-22-2004, 08:07 PM
You must learn to pronounce the city name. It's Di-troit. NOT DEE-troit. If you pronounce it DEE-Troit then we will assume you are from Toledo and here for the country Music hoe-down.

Forget the traffic rules you learned elsewhere. Detroit has its own version of traffic rule s... Hold on and pray!

The morning rush hour is from 6:00am to 10:00am.

The evening rush hour is from 3:00pm to 7:00pm.

Friday's rush hour starts Thursday morning.

Weekends are open game.

If you actually stop at a yellow light, you will be rear-ended, cussed out and possibly shot.

If you're first off the starting line when the light turns green, count to five before going. This will avoid getting in the way of cross-traffic who just ran their yellow light to keep from getting shot.

Schoenherr can ONLY be properly pronounced by a native of the Detroit metro area. That goes for Gratiot too.

Construction and renovation on I-94, I-96, I-75 and I-275 is a way of life. Just deal with it.

If someone actually has their turn signal on, it is probably a factory defect or they are "out-of-towners."

All old men with white hair wearing a hat have total right-of-way.

The minimum acceptable speed on I-696 is 85 regardless of the posted speeds. Anything less is considered downright SISSY.

Oh, and don't even think of allowing more than one car length between cars!

The attractive wrought iron on the windows and doors in Detroit is NOT ornamental. "DO NOT get out of your car".

Never stare at the driver of the car with the bumper sticker that says "Keep honking, I'm reloading."

If you are in the left lane, and only going 70 in a 60 mph zone, people are not waving 'because they are so friendly in Detroit.' I would suggest you duck.

I-275/I-696 is our daily version of NASCAR.

It's not M-10, it's "the Lodge."

That's not a lake, it's a pothole.

The left turn is simple. If you want to turn left, go a 1/4 of a mile past your turn, get to the left, then make a left, then make a right. NOW you have gone left. (ONLY IN MICHIGAN....WE INVENTED IT!!)

Forgot one Dan.....Bring your own legal protection.......and a flack jacket wouldn't hurt either.

Joe Walsh
09-22-2004, 09:08 PM
Are you sure that you're not talking about Washington D.C. ????

jobrien8
09-22-2004, 11:39 PM
Dan, you can even do zingers in type. Keep up all the one-liners!!!

duhtroll
09-23-2004, 06:25 AM
In Iowa we have paved roads now.

Well, a couple anyway.

-A

jgc61sr2002
09-23-2004, 07:04 AM
Dan - Very interesting and quite funny. :rofl:

Bluerauder
09-23-2004, 09:13 AM
Are you sure that you're not talking about Washington D.C. ????
My thoughts exactly .... funny stuff !! :rofl:

But, I thought it was pronounced "Duh-Troyt" :poke: :rolleyes:

Hack Goby
09-23-2004, 12:57 PM
Lets not forget "Dequindre"

Bluerauder
09-23-2004, 01:04 PM
Lets not forget "Dequindre"

OK, as a life long east coaster, I'll take a phonetic shot at this:

1. Schoenherr -- "Shane ... Hair"
2. Gratiot -- "Grass ... Shot"
3. Dequindre -- "Dee Kin Dree"

Am I close enough for horseshoes and hand grenades???

Hack Goby
09-23-2004, 01:07 PM
OK, as a life long east coaster, I'll take a phonetic shot at this:

1. Schoenherr -- "Shane ... Hair"
2. Gratiot -- "Grass ... Shot"
3. Dequindre -- "Dee Kin Dree"

Am I close enough for horseshoes and hand grenades???HA,HA Not even close

Hack Goby
09-23-2004, 01:12 PM
Oh ya,Exit 69 on I-75 is the "Big Beaver" Exit and that road is also called Metropolition Parkway and it is called 16 mile Rd. :confused:

Fast4Door
09-23-2004, 07:54 PM
Oh ya,Exit 69 on I-75 is the "Big Beaver" Exit and that road is also called Metropolition Parkway and it is called 16 mile Rd. :confused:

And, I believe, "Quarton" on the west side...