PDA

View Full Version : tire changing nicks and scratches

Sactown
09-24-2004, 05:15 PM
I had a patch done for a nail puncture, and after checking the work I see some nicks on the edge of the rim, right where it meets the tire. Looks like lever bar marks. Unacceptable! Since the car didn't come this way, I'm thinking the tire shop screwed up and didn't have or didn't use the right equipment or method. I did some searching here and could only find info on an alignment adapter for the MM. Is there some special Hunter tool or a preferred technique to change tires on our wheels without screwing them up like this?

Petrograde
09-24-2004, 05:28 PM
it could be they were using an old style (where the wheel is horizontal and rotating while a bar pulls the broken bead out) Those were never intended to be used on shiney wheels.

MENINBLK
09-24-2004, 09:52 PM
Get your tire repairs done at a reputable WHEEL shop.
Preferably one that does SUVs...

Sactown
09-25-2004, 06:46 PM
Get your tire repairs done at a reputable WHEEL shop.
Preferably one that does SUVs...
The place I dealt with sells tons of expensive wheels for all kinds of vehicles. Very reputable. They are willing to "take care of it", but I'm frustrated that this happened, and I'm trying to avoid it from happening again. These kind of stupid things suck up too much time. Anyway, I'm curious if others have had this problem with tire changes and if anyone knows how it is avoided.

Sactown
09-25-2004, 06:52 PM
it could be they were using an old style (where the wheel is horizontal and rotating while a bar pulls the broken bead out) Those were never intended to be used on shiney wheels.

I'm not sure which Hunter machine was used, they have quite a few. The tech said he used a teflon coated lever bar to pop the bead over the rim, but I'm wondering if this is the right way to do the work or if some other method or tool should have been used. I also wonder why the tire isn't changed from the back side instead of from the clean shiny side. I just don't want this to happen again and any tech info would be appreciated.

FordNut
09-25-2004, 06:58 PM
The newest machines do not touch the edge of the rim at all when they mount/dismount tires.

King Fubar
09-28-2004, 07:04 PM
I always goet my tires from the local Ford dealer, the very competetive in price and have a large selection.

MENINBLK
09-28-2004, 07:53 PM
I always goet my tires from the local Ford dealer, the very competetive in price and have a large selection.

I've checked with my local dealer.
They can't touch Tirerack's prices, they can't even come close...

Bigdogjim
09-28-2004, 09:45 PM
Maybe person assigned to work on your tire was "new" or in a hurry?

Good thing you checked before you left the shop:)

David Morton
09-29-2004, 12:29 AM
The newest machines do not touch the edge of the rim at all when they mount/dismount tires.Spot on right man. The latest rim-clamping type changers have an adjustment screw for diameter and, if properly adjusted, can only damage the rim if the guy tries to or is sloppy beyond belief. They will however leave marks on the back inside of the rim about 1" in from the edge.

As to the previous question about why not taking the tire off the back side, that side of the rim is further away from the "valley" which makes it possible to get the tire off in the first place, and is sometimes even a larger diameter as well. You will damage the tire bead trying to get it on from the back side.