PDA

View Full Version : Brake Pad Wear

MENINBLK
09-24-2004, 10:08 PM
Hello All,

I am considering a plan for future maintenance and since enough Marauderers have significantly more mileage on their Marauders,
I would like to know at what mileage interval was it necessary to change the front and/or rear brake pads ?

I've got almost 16k miles on my Marauder, but over 50% of that is highway driving.
I'm thinking I've got at least 4k miles before I will need front pads, but what have you guys gotten from yours ?

Is there a CERAMIC PAD replacement for the OEM Pads ??

BUCKWHEAT
09-25-2004, 05:05 AM
I've got almost 16k miles on my Marauder, but over 50% of that is highway driving.
I'm thinking I've got at least 4k miles before I will need front pads, but what have you guys gotten from yours ?

Good question. I have 28,000 and have not replaced pads, so I will be watching for answers also....

John

Krytin
09-25-2004, 05:12 AM
I replaced pads & rotors @ 24k miles - see signature - still had about 50% usable pad left. Would not recomend ceramic. They are quiet and don't create as much dust - but don't stop as well as metallic either!

FordNut
09-25-2004, 09:57 AM
Still on original pads with both cars, 35k+ on both. Combined hwy, city driving on both, some performance driving on one of them. Still seem fine to me, but I'm putting KVR 14" fronts on mine soon along with the matching drilled rear rotors and new pads all around. Wife's will stay stock. I'll change them when they start grinding or shaking.

JamesHecker
09-25-2004, 01:03 PM
I'm at 30,000 miles. No need for replacement yet. I am however, just about to have replace my second set of rear tires!

jgc61sr2002
09-25-2004, 03:25 PM
IMO you still have many more miles left on the front pads. But it doesn't hurt to check them as well as the rear..

Murader03
09-25-2004, 03:27 PM
I've got 67K on the MM. I'm still running the original rotors and pads on all four wheels!

jgc61sr2002
09-25-2004, 03:36 PM
I've got 67K on the MM. I'm still running the original rotors and pads on all four wheels!

Thats great. :up:

hbarrett
09-26-2004, 08:57 AM
Based on my experience with a CV, I expect to get at least 50k miles on front and rear, but when they have to be replaced I will replace the rotors too. When the CV's pads were replaced by the dealer the rotors never seemed just right - they should have been replaced but the dealer did not suggest it then.
Howard
Hello All,

I am considering a plan for future maintenance and since enough Marauderers have significantly more mileage on their Marauders,
I would like to know at what mileage interval was it necessary to change the front and/or rear brake pads ?

dwasson
09-26-2004, 03:58 PM
I'm at 38K and just had it on the rack this week. I have about 50% left on the front and about 70% on the rear.

bugsys03
09-26-2004, 05:13 PM

With 50% hwy you should be good for at least 50k. I tried ceramics before, never again, too much heat generated warped the stock rotors. I have never noticed brake dust on the MM, probly wash it too much :)

Marauderjack
09-27-2004, 05:09 AM
I used to do a BUNCH of highway driving.....50-60K a year and my 2000 CV went over 100K with the OEM brakes (80K on the tires)!!! :woohoo: I didn't even have the signature "Ford Pulsing"!! :cuke:

I changed them at about 110K and sold it with the second set on at a bit over 200K to get my Marauder!! :cool3:

So far the Marauder brakes are fine with 8K on the clock.....Wish I could say that much for the rear tires!!! :o

Marauderjack :rasta:

Stephen Soulsby
09-27-2004, 09:46 PM
I changed out my pads at 21,500 miles. Still had 50% left on them, but I was replacing warped rotors with drilled/slotted rotors and threw on Ceramc pads all the way around.

While it's true that many ceramic pads don't stop as well as their metalic counterparts, I have not had that problem with NAPA Ceramic pads. They're the only pad I've been installing on my customer's vehicles for over a year, and I always have excellent results and 100% customer satisfaction.

ahess77
09-29-2004, 05:02 AM
While it's true that many ceramic pads don't stop as well as their metalic counterparts, I have not had that problem with NAPA Ceramic pads. They're the only pad I've been installing on my customer's vehicles for over a year, and I always have excellent results and 100% customer satisfaction.

I'll second that. I put a set of metallics on the front of my 99 CV and couldn't stand the constant squeeking. Every time at a stop light, SSSQQUUEEEEKKKK. I replaced those after only 20k and have now run 3 sets of the Napa ceramics.

I even took the CV in to have the rears replaced and specifically asked for ceramic pads on the rears (couldn't get the drum/rotor off. Whatever engineer thought it was smart to use rotors all around, but just for fun makes the emergency brake like a drum brake must have been smoking something.) They replaced with the "heavy-duty" pads, which were semi-metallics. I took it back after a week and got my money back and replaced them with ceramics.

If you're constantly driving a road course, OK maybe you'll want the metallics for resistance to brake fade. But for my daily driver I'll never use anything but ceramics. Otherwise you're pulling up to a light next to that Corvette and he looks over an laughs at your obviously run-down, tired old Marauder as you squeek to a halt.

MENINBLK
09-29-2004, 09:20 AM
... (couldn't get the drum/rotor off. Whatever engineer thought it was smart to use rotors all around, but just for fun makes the emergency brake like a drum brake must have been smoking something.)...

Actually this is a BETTER idea.

The Rear Calipers that are used for EM Brakes have a SCREW in the center of the piston
that is twisted everytime you step on the EM Brake to apply the rear pads.
This screw also adjusts the brake pedal height since it is automatically adjusted
every time you step on the brakes. (NOT THE EM BRAKE)

Removing the EM Brake form the caliper does two things...

First drum brakes do make better EM Brakes. Pads tend to stick to the rotors after sitting for a while,
and the calipers with the EM incorporated really suck to rebuild...

Second, you are free to use whatever design calipers for the rear you wanted to...

ahess77
09-29-2004, 11:23 AM
Actually this is a BETTER idea.

The Rear Calipers that are used for EM Brakes have a SCREW in the center of the piston
that is twisted everytime you step on the EM Brake to apply the rear pads.
This screw also adjusts the brake pedal height since it is automatically adjusted
every time you step on the brakes. (NOT THE EM BRAKE)

Removing the EM Brake form the caliper does two things...

First drum brakes do make better EM Brakes. Pads tend to stick to the rotors after sitting for a while,
and the calipers with the EM incorporated really suck to rebuild...

Second, you are free to use whatever design calipers for the rear you wanted to...

The issue I have with our drum brake emergency brake set-up is the same I have with any drum brakes. They are a pain to rebuild. I agree this is a good concept to use for emergency brakes, they tend to have good static friction characteristics which is what you want for an emergency brake. They'll release, usually, by forcing the wheel to roll.

But, when used only as an emergency brake you've now taken a system that used to be removed and rebuilt every 30k to 50k miles and changed it to be rebuilt every 100k+ for normal use. On my CV the components were rusted to the point I couldn't retract the shoes and therefore couldn't remove the drum/rotor.

Now I, unlike many, don't turn the rotors unless there's something wrong with them (scratched, warped, rusted) since we've got sealed wheel bearings in the front there's no reason to pull the rotors to grease the bearings. So I put a set of pads on the rear at 50k without removing the rotors. Then, at 100k for the next set of pads, they needed turned. That's where the system is not robust enough, the corrosion coatings on the emergency brake components did not last for that duration and made servicing them very difficult. Plus, the emergency brake was not adjusted correctly as one side was not engaging the drum since the adjusting screw was corroded (appeared to be a zinc flower with a steel screw). The other side had worn a groove in the drum and wouldn't retract out of that groove.

All I want is a system that meets requirements for the life of the car, which in Ford's opinion is 10 years and 150k miles. I don't think the current drum system is robust enough and there must be a better emergency brake concept.

Mike Poore
09-29-2004, 11:29 AM
Hello All,
??
We have manditory state inspection here in PA, and most places are very fussy. All of my experience is highway driving, and I expect to get 100K before they need replacement. The front will go first, so those are the ones to watch. The biggest issue is tire replacement when the dufus with the air wrench warps your rotors. :stooges:

Cobra25
09-29-2004, 12:30 PM
I've got 67K on the MM. I'm still running the original rotors and pads on all four wheels! 67000 miles, that sounds like a new record to me.

MENINBLK
09-29-2004, 07:10 PM
All I want is a system that meets requirements for the life of the car, which in Ford's opinion is 10 years and 150k miles.

Here is an update....

Ford's definition of the term LIFE is 3 years and 36,000 miles.

So by the NEW Ford LIFE, the brakes worked just fine...