PDA

View Full Version : Rear shocks Monroe Gas-matic #5995

MMSuperFan
09-25-2004, 08:51 AM
Monroe now lists a shock from their gas-matic line for the Marauder. Their item # is 5995.

Any thoughts on Monroe shocks. BTW they cost less than $35 each, not the $80 the LM dealer asks for the OEM replacement.

Krytin
09-25-2004, 09:22 AM
Monroe has always been a "good" replacement shock. I have no idea how they compare to the OEM - but at 30k miles it is time to think about replacements front & rear on mine!
Anyone w/opinons or facts?

gilby04
09-25-2004, 10:01 AM
Monroe has always been a "good" replacement shock. I have no idea how they compare to the OEM - but at 30k miles it is time to think about replacements front & rear on mine!
Anyone w/opinons or facts?

Monroe is owned by Tenneco.
The Tenneco factory in Cozad, Nebraska, manufactures both aftermarket and OEM shocks, including the Red Ryder used on the F-150.

Mike Poore
09-25-2004, 12:09 PM
Monroe now lists a shock from their gas-matic line for the Marauder. Their item # is 5995.

Any thoughts on Monroe shocks. BTW they cost less than $35 each, not the $80 the LM dealer asks for the OEM replacement.
You get what you pay for. I've been buying Koni from Tire Rack. They're 4x in cost, and worth every cent, IMHO. :hide:

MMSuperFan
09-25-2004, 03:26 PM
You get what you pay for. I've been buying Koni from Tire Rack. They're 4x in cost, and worth every cent, IMHO. :hide:

In the "get what you pay for category....nuts to Fomoco....LM dealer wants $110 per shock, Ford dealer only wants $80.

BTW exactly which Koni are you buying from Tirerack, part #...they don't seem to know my MM exists on their lookup tables for shocks.

BK_GrandMarquis
09-25-2004, 03:40 PM
I agree. I've used Monroe shocks on an old Cavalier. I had to replace them after a year or so. They started to leak and bottom out. I'm pretty happy with my Bilsteins so far. Driven for almost 2 years and even autocrossed in 3 events. No problems so far. They are only about $70-80 each. Harder ride though but I like the responsiveness.

Mike Poore
09-26-2004, 03:13 AM
[QUOTE=BTW exactly which Koni are you buying from Tirerack, part #...they don't seem to know my MM exists on their lookup tables for shocks.[/QUOTE]
:dunno: Don't know about the MM, since mine's new, and 4,000 mi. I'd guess the ones for the service Crown Vic, but there's guys here with the correct info. My latest install was on an '02 F-150 Sport 6 1/2 Flairside, (Lightning look alike). Night & day difference. A word of advice though: don't get carried away and adjust them to the highest setting. It gives new meaning to the term, stiff. There may be a better price than Tirerack, but I like the fast service and expertise, plus, they're a sponsor here.

:soap: While I'm at it, some advice to everybody. You're driving one of the world's best performance sedans, and, no matter, if it's Bilsteins or Koni, perhaps others, shocks are the best bang for the buck, when it comes to performance enhancements. Oh, yeh, I think you're going to need an 18mm mid-length socket.

SergntMac
09-26-2004, 08:22 AM
I didn't anticipate early wear and tear from my OEM shocks and struts, but once I replaced them, my SOTP thought "control, where have you been?" Control slips away from you slowly when shocks and struts wear, it's more an erosion than instant awareness. But, once control is gone, you'll know it.

Take a serious drive in your MM and be hypercritical with your impressions. Moving 4500 pounds through twisties causes early wear, I'm on my second set of OEM Tokico gas shocks and struts, and I'm expecting them to last 12-15K at the most. I looked high and low for options and found none. The OEM cost was stiff, but not steep, call our friend Ray "The Dealer," he's a supporting vendor here.

As I recall it, the front struts were more expensive at 79 bucks each, and the rear shocks were 71 bucks each. The ride is priceless, as they say, it will take a hard sell to draw me away from the Tokico's.

When you do replace them, get a 4 wheel alignment too. Major difference in handling, and you may see better tire wear as well...IMHO.

Zack
09-26-2004, 08:37 AM
I have 17k on my car now and my shocks on all 4 corners are completely shot. Ill be replacing them over the winter, havent decided what brand yet.

BillyGman
09-26-2004, 09:11 AM
Just my opinion here folks....I think the stock shocks or maybe even the Monroe shocks would be just fine as a replacement. For guys like me who want to retain atleast a little bit of ride comfort, I'm sure that the Bilsteins and the Koni's would just be too stiff. If I wanted a car that will pull a 1.00 G around turns then I would've purchased a much smaller and lighter car than the Marauder. I wouldn't have purchased a sedan in the first place.

Merc-O-matic
09-26-2004, 10:02 AM
buying New Monroe shocks for 1997 merc 5967 and 5969

CRUZTAKER
09-26-2004, 10:22 AM
Mmmm....listening...absorbing. ...:hmmm: ...more please...

GordonB
09-27-2004, 06:31 AM
Had the pleasure to meet the Tokico rep at the Motor City Marauders outing to the Ford Proving Grounds in June '04. According to this rep, our Tokico shocks (no struts in the MM) should be good for a LOT MORE than 15K to 30K miles.
If you believe that you have `worn' shocks, I would suggest we contact Tokico and send them a set of 4 (Front & Rear) to test on thier equipment to see how much they have `lost'. These people (Tokico) relly believe in thie product and stand behind it. Just a suggestion to the membership here.

GordonB

SergntMac
09-27-2004, 09:17 AM
(no struts in the MM)
Agreed. Front shock and spring are individual parts, but thery are preassembled into a strut before restoration to the car. I wasn't aware of this until I replaced my shocks, the front end has to come down and the spring unloaded and reloaded in a spring compressor, then reinstalled in the car. It's not like the old days, or, as easy as changing the rear shocks. It's a real PITA, and IMHO, not a DYI project.

If you believe that you have `worn' shocks, I would suggest we contact Tokico and send them a set of 4 (Front & Rear) to test on thier equipment to see how much they have `lost'. These people (Tokico) relly believe in thie product and stand behind it. Just a suggestion to the membership here. GordonB
Agreed, great product, great company. Good idea too, send the failed parts back for examination. Unfortunately, mine are in the trash already. Any 411 on how someone could contact this guy?

O's Fan Rich
09-27-2004, 09:43 AM
Seems to me that under 36k and needing replacement results in a warranty claim.
I'd take the freebie route.

hbarrett
09-27-2004, 10:26 AM
I agree. In the '60s and '70s shocks were probably good for ~ 20k miles, and cars only cost a few thousand then. I believe that with "normal use" and today's manufacturing technology and quality assurance methods, we should expect much longer mileage from shocks. On my '00 CV HPP, at ~ 30k miles I tried to convince the dealership that the shocks needed to be replaced. They examined the shocks and said that they were still as good as new. They could have been giving me a BS story, but they also could have replaced them under warranty repair if they could have justified the replacement. Still had the original shocks at five years and 87k miles when traded in. My 2 cents!
Howard
Had the pleasure to meet the Tokico rep at the Motor City Marauders outing to the Ford Proving Grounds in June '04. According to this rep, our Tokico shocks (no struts in the MM) should be good for a LOT MORE than 15K to 30K miles.
If you believe that you have `worn' shocks, I would suggest we contact Tokico and send them a set of 4 (Front & Rear) to test on thier equipment to see how much they have `lost'. These people (Tokico) relly believe in thie product and stand behind it. Just a suggestion to the membership here.

GordonB

GordonB
09-27-2004, 02:20 PM
SergntMac,
Here is the 411 I quickly found on Tokico
http://www.tokicogasshocks.com/warranty.html
I DO NOT suggest EVERYBODY call them, but we could have someone who thinks they have a wear concern float a `trial balloon' to a Tokico rep and see what they suggest. Certainly the rears could be removed easily from a car that is being stored for the winter and sent in to get tested.
At the Ford Proving Grounds in June with Motor City MMers, the Tokico rep was showing us shocks that he had for testing, etc. The net of this was the claim that thier shocks are built for greater than 150K miles of use. He was VERY emphatic about the quality they build into their shocks and how durable they should be -- operative word is SHOULD.
Give them a call and let us know what you find out. Maybe someone here will VOLUNTEER their Orig MM shocks for testing.

GordonB

Fourth Horseman
09-27-2004, 02:32 PM
SergntMac,
Here is the 411 I quickly found on Tokico
http://www.tokicogasshocks.com/warranty.html
I DO NOT suggest EVERYBODY call them, but we could have someone who thinks they have a wear concern float a `trial balloon' to a Tokico rep and see what they suggest. Certainly the rears could be removed easily from a car that is being stored for the winter and sent in to get tested.
At the Ford Proving Grounds in June with Motor City MMers, the Tokico rep was showing us shocks that he had for testing, etc. The net of this was the claim that thier shocks are built for greater than 150K miles of use. He was VERY emphatic about the quality they build into their shocks and how durable they should be -- operative word is SHOULD.
Give them a call and let us know what you find out. Maybe someone here will VOLUNTEER their Orig MM shocks for testing.

GordonB

I wonder if they'd be interested in my broken rear shock? Don't know exactly what broke on it, but I heard a pop going through a gutter at slow speed and the next day I have a puddle of oil on the garage floor underneath the shock. Having it replaced later this week with the same part number. Think they'd be interested in the old one, or is this just one of those things that "just happens" and is somewhat common?

GordonB
09-28-2004, 07:42 AM
Fourth,
Is dealer replacing under warranty? If so, ask dealer if you can send to Tokico for analysis.
GordonB

Fourth Horseman
09-28-2004, 08:37 AM
Fourth,
Is dealer replacing under warranty? If so, ask dealer if you can send to Tokico for analysis.
GordonB

Yes, it's a warranty replacement at 18,000 miles. I'll get the old part back from the dealer after it's replaced.

MMSuperFan
09-30-2004, 09:44 PM
Agreed. Front shock and spring are individual parts, but thery are preassembled into a strut before restoration to the car. I wasn't aware of this until I replaced my shocks, the front end has to come down and the spring unloaded and reloaded in a spring compressor, then reinstalled in the car. It's not like the old days, or, as easy as changing the rear shocks. It's a real PITA, and IMHO, not a DYI project.

Agreed, great product, great company. Good idea too, send the failed parts back for examination. Unfortunately, mine are in the trash already. Any 411 on how someone could contact this guy?

I have my original rear shocks to donate to the cause.

Mike Poore
10-01-2004, 05:30 AM
Just to clarify; GordonB is telling us that OEM shocks on the MM are Tokico's and not Monroe. When I said Koni, Bilstine or other high quality shocks, that includes Tokico. Since it's the OEM unit without fitment issues, why not use them? I don't see the wisdom in paying the price being asked by your local LM dealer. Anyone do a search for the best price anywhere, and do we know Tokico's part number(s)?

SergntMac
10-01-2004, 10:25 AM
Just to clarify; GordonB is telling us that OEM shocks on the MM are Tokico's and not Monroe. When I said Koni, Bilstine or other high quality shocks, that includes Tokico. Since it's the OEM unit without fitment issues, why not use them? I don't see the wisdom in paying the price being asked by your local LM dealer. Anyone do a search for the best price anywhere, and do we know Tokico's part number(s)?

Ooops...Thought you knew this, it's one of the things L/M brags about in sales literature and spec sheets. Yes, the OEM Tokicos are on par with other performance shocks you have mentioned. IMHO, the Monroes would be disappointing.

With respect to part numbers, this is a bit screwy, because my parts guy cannot figure out why, but there are two parts number for OEM Tokico replacement shocks. He suspects this is simply a change in part numbers from the "production line part" to an official "replacement" part. I've seen this with other part numbers listed here, and attribute that to the fact that the Marauder was a brand new model when released, and early warranty repairs relied on production line parts. If that's not it, I haven't a clue about why numbers changed.

Front shocks: 3W3Z-18124-AA has been changed to 3U2Z-18124-BH
Cost: Under 75.00 each

Rear shocks: 3W3Z-18125-AA has been changed to 3U2Z-18125-AC
Cost: Under 75.00 each.

BTW, if any of y'all are considering replacing with the Tokicos from L/M, remember that we have a sponsoring vendor here, "The Dealer" with special pricing for us. I've ordered lot of stuff from Ray, and he's 100 percent.

Smokie
10-01-2004, 10:35 AM
Since the dealer replaced my rear shocks a couple of months ago, I would like some clarification; when we say our car has Tokico shocks. Does it mean made by Tokico for Ford ? or should the shocks bear the Tokico name brand ?

I ask because the shocks that came out of my car were stamped Ford and the replacement's also were stamped Ford and came out of a Ford box.

SouLRioT
10-01-2004, 10:43 AM
just like our "alpine" steroes, I would guess it should have the Ford logo on it.

SergntMac
10-01-2004, 11:25 AM
I ask because the shocks the came out of my car were stamped Ford and the replacement's also were stamped Ford and came out of a Ford box.
Yep...When I replaced my shocks last spring, they came in Motorcraft boxes with the original "3W3Z" part number on the box. There was a third part number on the shock itself too, but I don't recall what that was.

MarcPro
03-14-2013, 02:17 PM
In the "get what you pay for category....nuts to Fomoco....LM dealer wants $110 per shock, Ford dealer only wants $80.

BTW exactly which Koni are you buying from Tirerack, part #...they don't seem to know my MM exists on their lookup tables for shocks.
My Ford dealer want's $131
Are all Ford dealers going to charge the same?

CBT
03-14-2013, 03:02 PM
.....holy shiyaaaaaat....old thread alertz....

MarcPro
03-14-2013, 03:54 PM
lol...so old that the price of inflation brought the price of the shocks up $50?

lifespeed
03-14-2013, 04:45 PM
lol...so old that the price of inflation brought the price of the shocks up $50?

Yes, and the dealer is typically expensive. You may also be interested to know that rumour has it Tokico does not make the current OEM shocks. In fact, there are almost no options for performance shocks worthy of our Marauders.

yjmud
03-14-2013, 04:57 PM
arise dead thread arise

MarcPro
03-14-2013, 09:59 PM
So it looks like Motorcraft for me. I kind of want to keep it that way. Hopefully New York will continue to be kind to her....160+ K
Great way to get around Manhattan ; )