PDA

View Full Version : What are your plans for upgrading your stereo system?

MM03MOK
09-28-2004, 12:13 PM
While it doesn't add to horsepower and torque, improving the listening experience in our cars is an avenue some are taking - and in a serious way.

Sound is very subjective, so what works for one may not for another. We all have our favorite cruising songs and want them to sound as good as possible.

Tell us what you've done or are planning to do to improve, from your perspective, your stereo system, including head unit and speakers. Put pictures in the Gallery and link them back to this thread.

dwasson
09-28-2004, 12:33 PM
I listen to a lot of bluegrass and acoustic guitar music. Nothing shows you how bad speakers are than an upright bass.

Petrograde
09-28-2004, 01:27 PM
yup,... I plan on upgrading. However I've recently learned that kids are expensive pets! :lol:

...eventually...

MarauderMark
09-28-2004, 02:46 PM
I was thinking about doing something like Mr. Logan did to his car but I do not have the patience to pull off this by myself, unless someone here can or suggest who could. I just dont want to pay alot for this muffler..:D

bigslim
09-28-2004, 05:34 PM
I will either be going with an Eclispe or Kenwood system. They both fit in the dash like they were factory. Both are available with DVD, Navigational and backup camara features. The monitor sits in the dash flush. There is no flip-up monitor so it can sit in the stock radio's hole.

Bradley G
09-28-2004, 05:37 PM
I would love to remove the rattle from the rear deck.

woaface
09-28-2004, 06:20 PM
Listening to Nickel Creek tonight...I realized that the speakers in the van HAVE TO GO.

I listen to a lot of bluegrass and acoustic guitar music. Nothing shows you how bad speakers are than an upright bass.

BruteForce
09-28-2004, 06:27 PM
I upgraded my speakers to Infinitys and that has been a great improvement in clarity. I priced a couple options on subwoofer and head replacements but haven't pulled the trigger on any other changes. I'd like to hear what others have done.

SergntMac
09-28-2004, 07:35 PM
I'm getting Kook's headers, so, I had to do something about the cabin drone...LOL! If this is too loud, your too old.

Pioneer AVIC-N1 DVD/GPS/GForce head unit
JL Audio 300/4 main amp, 300 watts RMS (4X75)
JL Audio 500/1 subwoofer amp, 500 watts RMS (1X500)
JL Audio VR650-CSi component front speaker, 6X5 160 MM woofer in the doors, and .75 19 MM silk dome tweeters in that little triangle thingy by the outside review mirrors.
Infinity Kappa 6X9 rear speakers
Twin JL Audio 10W7-3 10" subwoofers behind rear seat.
Custom diamond plate install by Music in Motion, Crestwood Il.

Listening to Leonard Cohen's "Closing Time," you can hear the ice cubes clink in his drink...Audio "priceless."

Pictures pending Admin. approval, this is just too sexy to post. I also decided to keep my Street Pilot III on board, because it does some GPS things the Pioneer doesn't, and they both have voice features...Ugh.

Earlier today, I said "I need oil," and the Pioneer said "turn right 100 yards (PepBoys) The Street Pilot said "No, it's 65 yards." The Pioneer said "well, it's 50 yards now. The Street Pilot got snippy with "35" Me..."Ladies, shut up! Both of you!" The Pioneer hasn't spoken to me since, but the Street Pilot answered "fine, but the next time you have an oil question, please call RF OverLord." The Street Pilot's portable, and she knows it.

Y'all just keep telling me where to go, I'm sure I'll find it someday...

wchain
09-28-2004, 08:00 PM
I have a Kenwood MPV619 Head Unit with Sirius Satellite Radio, Boston Acoustics Speakers, and 2 JL Audio 10W6v2 Subs in the trunk being pushed by an Alpine V12 T1000 1000W Amplifier :rock:

Joe Walsh
09-28-2004, 08:07 PM
yup,... I plan on upgrading. However I've recently learned that kids are expensive pets! :lol:

...eventually...

:rofl:

You are going to need some SERIOUS speakers to drown out the wail of 'Da Yute' in the back seat!

I can see it now....HMMMM, Do I upgrade the stereo system in the Marauder or do I invest in a mutual fund for her college education???
AWWW Heck, she can go to a local junior college!

Patrick
09-28-2004, 08:29 PM
I luv Heavy Metal. Ozzy rules. Lately WASP and Pantera. Anyway I will leave the Stock head unit in and will replace with JBL and thinking about a Kicker Sub in the trunk. Probably 8", maybe 10 and do a complete Dyno Mat for all pannels!

aa1611
09-28-2004, 08:53 PM
I'm a studio musician and love to listen to music...however, when I'm in my Marauder I really like listening to the motor and exhaust. Occasionally I will crank it up in the car and it sounds pretty good for a stock stereo system. So I think the stock system is plenty fine for the vehicle...but...when I really want it loud, clear, and full...it can't compare to the Cerwin Vegas in my living room nor the 5500 watt EV PA system in my basement! :)

While it doesn't add to horsepower and torque, improving the listening experience in our cars is an avenue some are taking - and in a serious way.

Sound is very subjective, so what works for one may not for another. We all have our favorite cruising songs and want them to sound as good as possible.

Tell us what you've done or are planning to do to improve, from your perspective, your stereo system, including head unit and speakers. Put pictures in the Gallery and link them back to this thread.

Bigdogjim
09-28-2004, 08:54 PM
Earlier today, I said "I need oil," and the Pioneer said "turn right 100 yards (PepBoys) The Street Pilot said "No, it's 65 yards." The Pioneer said "well, it's 50 yards now. The Street Pilot got snippy with "35" Me..."Ladies, shut up! Both of you!" The Pioneer hasn't spoken to me since, but the Street Pilot answered "fine, but the next time you have an oil question, please call RF OverLord." The Street Pilot's portable, and she knows it.

Y'all just keep telling me where to go, I'm sure I'll find it someday...

Mac if you ever write a book I want a copy.

Thanks I needed a laugh after work tonight.

Sorry to have hi-jacked the thread.

Carry on now, please :o :cuke:

Bradley G
09-29-2004, 05:42 AM
ditto on both!!:whistle:

Thanks I needed a laugh after work tonight.

Sorry to have hi-jacked the thread.

Carry on now, please :o :cuke:

MM03MOK
10-01-2004, 08:22 PM
Time to get an agent! :sunshine:

Patrick
10-01-2004, 08:28 PM
I would love to remove the rattle from the rear deck.

Mine rattles to but I am planning a dyno mat project. When I get the whole idea toghether and installed I will start a thread on how it went!

FordNut
10-02-2004, 05:26 AM
I put JBL speakers in the doors and deck. Haven't replaced the woofer yet, but plan to upgrade it and possibly port the enclosure. I believe the instructions are posted somewhere here. Prolly gonna leave the amps and head unit stock. Happy with it so far.

BUCKWHEAT
10-02-2004, 07:40 AM
I luv Heavy Metal. Ozzy rules. Lately WASP and Pantera. Anyway I will leave the Stock head unit in and will replace with JBL and thinking about a Kicker Sub in the trunk. Probably 8", maybe 10 and do a complete Dyno Mat for all pannels!

Where do you put the Dyno Mat? Floors? Doors? Trunk Floor? Is the result a quieter car or a MUCH quieter car? Thanks. John

FordNut
10-02-2004, 02:58 PM
I put JBL speakers in the doors and deck. Haven't replaced the woofer yet, but plan to upgrade it and possibly port the enclosure. I believe the instructions are posted somewhere here. Prolly gonna leave the amps and head unit stock. Happy with it so far.
After driving the wife's stocker around today I realize how much better mine sounds.

MSR7878
10-05-2004, 05:30 AM
I had an overhead 8" TFT LCD monitor installed by Great Scott in Norwich CT, then I installed the DVD player behind the rear seat armrest and it is the best investment I ever made in a car. I have a daughter and step daughter (7 and 9) and we are in the car alot so the ability to watch a movie or play PS2 quiets most of the "are we there yet" drone. I also have a 12" Rockford Fosgate P2 sub and 1000W Sony amp. I would like to amplify and replace the cabin speakers but it will have to wait

Patrick
10-05-2004, 05:45 AM
Where do you put the Dyno Mat? Floors? Doors? Trunk Floor? Is the result a quieter car or a MUCH quieter car? Thanks. John

You can dyno mat just about the whole inside but that can get expensive. Right now I am going to get the rear deck area and trunk done.

Heres my plan. I willl replace the rear speakers first. Then my local installer will basiacally build a modified box under the rear deck lid. with dyno mat. No rattles. Then dyno the trunk lid and cover with carpet. Plans look great. Thier will also be a place for another amp for the sub. Not sure where to place and size of amp. As far as the front I wont go into that. Sorry but until I get it done, we will see. I hope it will work.

prchrman
10-07-2004, 01:08 PM
My wife can hear better than a bat so I can not turn up my Christian music at all..."that's too loud, it's hurting my ears"...I on the other hand have worked in industry for way too long so my hearing is not that great...usually leave stereo off and we just talk...love that woman...when by myself and turn it up a little I feel the stereo is just fine...of couse I am accustomed to a $20 kraco with one 5" round speaker hanging by a coat hanger under the dash...willie

frdwrnch
10-13-2004, 07:35 PM
My wife can hear better than a bat so I can not turn up my Christian music at all..."that's too loud, it's hurting my ears"...I on the other hand have worked in industry for way too long so my hearing is not that great...usually leave stereo off and we just talk...love that woman...when by myself and turn it up a little I feel the stereo is just fine...of couse I am accustomed to a $20 kraco with one 5" round speaker hanging by a coat hanger under the dash...willie

Well the old 66 mustang i used to have had a metal dash so I just stuck 'em under the dash and let the magnets hold 'em in place. There's just something about the sound quality of a stereo bought at an Eckerds drug store that has no equal!

DEFYANT
11-08-2004, 01:10 AM
It is a shame that ford sells these cars for over 30K and something as simple as a rear deck cover vibrates with the base from music. I should get the dealer to fix it before the mini van sells!!!

Mine rattles to but I am planning a dyno mat project. When I get the whole idea toghether and installed I will start a thread on how it went!