PDA

View Full Version : New Member

Long Live #3
01-24-2003, 01:31 PM
This is my first time I've ever been signed up to a forum so if my spelling sucks, please bear with me, I make alot of mistakes when I'm typing. The first time I saw the Marauder was at the Chicago Auto Show at Mecormic Place. My first thought, "Damn, what a car." Then, after I got home and I told my Dad and he said that as soon as the car comes out, were going shopping. He's already got a '96 Thunderbird with a GT 4.6L bored 5-over, Dynomax exhaust, K&N air filter system, ect. What I want to know is, what was your first reaction when you saw the Marauder?

MAD-3R
01-24-2003, 01:46 PM
vrooooom vroooom..........

BeaSStMaster
01-24-2003, 01:49 PM
It's not your Daddy's Oldsmobile ...

Long Live #3
01-24-2003, 01:57 PM
I got a ride in my friend's Marauder. The speed limit's 40 or 45. We were going 70. The first thing I said was,"This thing's a BEAST!!"

Long Live #3
01-24-2003, 02:06 PM
I have an Oldsmobile. A Supreme FE3. Year: 1989.

BeaSStMaster
01-24-2003, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Long Live #3
I got a ride in my friend's Marauder. The speed limit's 40 or 45. We were going 70. The first thing I said was,"This thing's a BEAST!!"

Long Live #3
01-24-2003, 02:41 PM
Hey BeaSSt, what's your 1/4 mile time in your Impala SS?

Long Live #3
01-24-2003, 02:47 PM
I wish this was my ride.

http://www.car-truck.com/chryed/buzz03/b012303.htm

Mark McQuaide
01-24-2003, 03:33 PM
I had the car somewhere in the recesses of my mind since reading the R&T article over the summer but wasn't really aware of it. The weekend before Christmas on the way out to eat in Maryland, we passed a dealer that had two sitting out front. OK, now it's at the front of my mind. Dec. 24, the better half and daughter go run an errand, so me&son take a little trip to said dealer to get a closer look. Hmmm. Looks big, black, and bad, both inside and out. Go for test drive. OK, nice acceleration, nice throaty exhaust, nice leathery cavernous interior, I could get used to this, but it's probably a pig in the corners. Turn off highway and find twisty 2-lane. Hmmm..this baby corners flat..how fast am I going??? I could get myself in serious trouble in this thing. Dec 26 back at dealer, buy car. 2500 miles already, getting better and better. Maybe call Dennis in the spring?

martyo
01-24-2003, 03:45 PM
Hey, here's a newbie's question:

The dealer sent me what looks like a build ticket for the car that I am getting. It says "13 U.S. Gal Gas." Is the fule tank that small????

LincMercLover
01-24-2003, 03:48 PM
If I remember right we have a 19 gallon tank.

Long Live #3
01-24-2003, 03:49 PM
I think he's right.

martyo
01-24-2003, 03:54 PM
Isn't it great that the manufacturer doesn't know what it is manufacturing?

Fourth Horseman
01-24-2003, 04:04 PM
What I want to know is, what was your first reaction when you saw the Marauder?

My first reaction was to start adding up the number to try and find a way to swing buying this thing. Of course, I first heard about it in a magazine article that came out like a year or more before the vehicle, so I had a lot of time to sit around and work the numbers.

I'm just happy FMC came out with a car that fits so nicely with what I was looking for. I wanted an SS but never managed to get one before Chevy shut that down. I wasn't going to miss out this time around.

Got mine June 26th and haven't looked back. It's been a great seven months!

SergntMac
01-24-2003, 04:36 PM
What I want to know is, what was your first reaction when you saw the Marauder?

I didn't know jack about the MM until I walked past one on my dealer's floor. I was there to check out a preview of the new, but not yet released, Avaitor. A sample not for sale, and I was strolling past the car without knowing what it was.

I had been into 3 Mountaineers by then, the '97 (nice, but first year too), a '98 (keeper-LM got it right!) and a 2000 (and they blew it-really sucked over my '98) and I was looking to step up to an Avaitor, but I was forewarned that I could not buy one yet.

Like I was saying, I was walking past it, and the dual exhaust tips winked at me. The sales manager was almost to the back shop before he knew I wasn't following him anymore. He doubled back and said "what..." My first words, honest now, "no s**t..." and that was that.

The MM I was looking at was used, it was the Regional Sales Demo, released early for training of LM sales staff before the market release, and it had some miles on it. On my test drive, the sales manager kept saying "w t f are you doing...whoa...we don't...hey, no...stop, oh no...stop...please...okay, I can do this, no, I can't...stop...please?" and he politely, but firmly, told me to drive him back home. He gave me this MM for the afternoon, and I came back with a smile, and a check for 38,900. She's mine, and I don't care if she was with anyone else before me. She's mine now, and she agrees.

Maybe this is why I haven't seen the production problems other have mentioned here? No steering wheel unwrap, no drive-line vibration, no sub-woofer problems, no door carpet, no ratttles, squeaks, loose headlight trim...none of that. Maybe, just maybe, this Girl had her "make-up" in place to be out early and find her guy, I think she did, just ask her...

I love this board...

Long Live #3
01-24-2003, 04:40 PM
This was taken at my friend's house during the summer of 2002. It's his Dad's car. Waxed with Zano.

http://members.aol.com/kprrpk/images/memberpic.jpg

LincMercLover
01-24-2003, 04:42 PM
Hmm... I'm going to have to bring this "correction" up next time I'm at the dealer... Thanks Sarge!

SergntMac
01-24-2003, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by stanleyk
Hey, here's a newbie's question:

The dealer sent me what looks like a build ticket for the car that I am getting. It says "13 U.S. Gal Gas." Is the fule tank that small????

Tank capacity is 19 US. gal. What the factory is telling you, is that you ain't getting a full tank of gas off of them anymore. POS dealers can fill it themselves, or not. But, you get 13 US. gal. of gas included in the sale, no extra charge.

IMHO...

LincMercLover
01-24-2003, 04:51 PM
I got two! :D

Long Live #3
01-24-2003, 04:58 PM
Thanks for the help with the pic LinMercLover.

Cooper
01-24-2003, 05:29 PM
... What I want to know is, what was your first reaction when you saw the Marauder?

Well, since you asked...

My first reaction when I saw the Marauder was negative! I didn't like the wheels, thought the chrome pipes looked lousy, was disappointed that it only came with an automatic transmission, and hated the dot matrix dashboard.

I took a trip to the St. Thomas Assembly Plant in Ontario Canada last June with a bunch of my friends from the Crown Vic.Net website. (For the benefit of newbies, the STAP is where the MM, Crown Vic, and Grand Marquis are all manufactured). I actually watched the cars being built. We got to see every step of the manufacturing process. We watched them put together a MM and drive it off the assembly line so we could look at it. It was like watching the birth of a car. Ever see a car with ony 3/10th of a mile on the odometer? It was EXCELLENT! We all got to look the car over from top to bottom and ask tons of questions. The folks from the Ford plant gave us short rides in a Marauder also, so we really got a good feel for what the car was all about.

That exposure to the Marauder at the STAP last year totally changed my mind about the car. Now I can't wait to purchase one! It will probably be a couple more years before I'm in the financial position to do that, but I'll enjoy reading and dreaming about the car until then.

Thanks to all the MM owners on this site for indulging us "wannabe" owners. :D

Long Live #3
01-24-2003, 05:33 PM
Has anyone looked at my friend's Marauder? It's already been through 1 windshield!

http://members.aol.com/kprrpk/images/memberpic.jpg

chapel1
01-24-2003, 05:57 PM
Stealthvic I like your car.And Long Live#3 welcome to this site.:)

WolfeBros
01-24-2003, 06:03 PM
StealthVic I hated that dot matrix too.........and now that I have had the car almost a month.....I like it. I guess it grows on you. I do not like the Mercury waterfall type badges on the grill and trunk. There are people on this board working to fix that. :)

Welcome also to long Live #3

Billatpro
01-24-2003, 06:27 PM
When I first saw this car all I could think of was "Me In It" ZOOM ZOOM.

Marauderman
01-24-2003, 06:47 PM
Well, I had been drooling since it was first introduced in the auto show way back--watched it over the net and other news, from developement into production- said --that's gonna be mine one day---then on to the dealers----went to see it "live" at dealer- first sight/walk around-thought ( have to use a smiley here) :censor: " amn it looks MUCH better in person--and ..OH those pipes----:censor:--it's mine alright--only a matter of time"..so lets drill the salesman .... and 4 mos. later --took delivery...took that long to get him down to 29--thats as far as they'd go...so she's in the garage waiting for a dry day....oh so nice---as you all know.... :beer: :banana:

Menace
01-24-2003, 06:56 PM
I first saw the car in a magazine ad, 2 weeks later put money down , 3 weeks later 6-13 picked HIM up.Build date was 5-28. 1100 miles now ,luv the car and no problems.

LincMercLover
01-24-2003, 07:29 PM
No prob Long, but I still think you didn't accomplish what you were trying for, so I edited your post. You clicked the http:// (link) button instead of the IMG (image attacher) button. If not, let me know, I'll switch it back.

God I love this Moderating stuff! :D

martyo
01-24-2003, 08:59 PM
I went to the dealer looking for the newest Mountaineer. Saw the MM and bought it. What does that tell ya?

And, I have ben on this site non-step ever since!!!

LincMercLover
01-24-2003, 09:02 PM
Yah... don't think there are many Mountaineer Forums out there. ;)

Slowpoke
01-24-2003, 09:37 PM
i thought marauder was hard to spell at first.... i don't even want to try to learn to spell "mountainaire"

Long Live #3
01-25-2003, 07:09 AM
Yea Linc, I think I goofed again. I went back one of my replies and saw what you had to do. Once I saw that I said to myself Joe, you're a dufis. Congrats on becoming the new Moderator.

LincMercLover
01-25-2003, 09:00 AM
LOL, you had good intentions Long. No problem! ;)

Long Live #3
01-25-2003, 09:20 AM
LONG LIVE LINC!!!! :beer: :bows:

Scott
01-27-2003, 02:15 AM
my first merc.................
dallas autoshow............sold...... ....
I love my merc

RF Overlord
01-27-2003, 03:02 PM
Scott:

Wadda ya MEAN, "no upgrades"....get on the stick, man; have some fun!
:banana:

Long Live #3
01-27-2003, 03:21 PM
I know, why don't you get the Reinhart chip & plugs? You'll run about 11's in the 1/4 mile!

RF Overlord, can I see some pic's of your cars. Just e-mail them to me.
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/member.php?action=mailform&userid=579

KSMM03
01-27-2003, 03:32 PM
Me, I first saw the convertible that was on line the convertible they showed at the detroit car show. I thought that was pretty spiffy.

Then one Friday at work, I'm looking at the Mercury website, and look at the part where it says build your car, and went through the whole thing, and then "checked dealer inventory" and lo and behold, they had one at the local dealer.

Walked on the lot about 5, scoped the car out, asked the salesman what I had to do to go for a spin, and then did just that. Spent about 3 hours at the dealership, trying to "work the numbers", but could only get them to move about $500 (this was in July).

:coolman:

Long Live #3
01-27-2003, 04:02 PM
Good deal! :up:

drobin
01-27-2003, 04:16 PM
A little over 2 and 1/2 years ago, I attended a car show in New Orleans, La. and low and behold there she was. A concept car called the Marauder which I was allowed to sit in and take it all in. I turned to a good friend and told him I have to get one as soon as they hit the streets. Bought it on July 1 and haven't had one regret and still fascinated with the beast. Man, I love this machine!!!!!!

Donald

Beadhead
01-28-2003, 07:21 PM
drobin: you're a lucky man, to live in NOLA and dive a MM!!

drobin
01-29-2003, 07:57 AM
Beadhead,

Thanks for the compliment and I couldn't agree with you more! Love this car and place. I keep the MM in garage, use the California duster and wash it once a month (even if it doesn't need it). Installed Reinhardt package back in August but didn't want the gears. Wating on him for more goodies and I'm considering in going with Denso NKG plugs for that 2 HP gain Logan spoke of.

How is your weather and are you enjoying your machine as I am mine???

Thanks,
Donald

Beadhead
01-29-2003, 09:16 PM
Weather, don't even mention it -- minus 12 degrees centigrade and snow, snow, snow. Drive the MM daily, anyway. It's actually much better in the white stuff than I thought it would be. Of course, once the tires have lost a little tread, snow tires may be necessary -- we'll see. BTW, why no gears? They are first on my list, come spring. Where in NOLA do you reside (you lucky dog!)?

drobin
01-30-2003, 10:35 AM
Beadhead,

I chose not to go with gear package because I like the way the car responds the way it is--even taking into consideration that it has 18" wheels and effectively would drop the final ration to around the 370's. Maybe I'll change my mind if I get the opportunity to drive one with the 410's. Anyway for now, I'll wait to see what Dennis comes up with and go from there. I live in Harvey which is just across the Miss River from New Orleans (only 10 min. away). Stay warm and keep the refrigerator door close so we can stay warm down here.
Take care,
Donald

Beadhead
01-30-2003, 07:56 PM
Harvey - sorry, don't know much about that end of town, except to cross the canal on the way to the Bayou Barn on Sunday afternoons. Seems we've been sending you some of our nice, crisp northern air lately: sorry 'bout that. Keep havin' fun, y'all!

Long Live #3
01-30-2003, 08:07 PM
We've got snow on the ground here. I'm lovin' every minute of it! :D

Scott
01-30-2003, 11:06 PM
Hell guys...........I walked in...said I wanted it..............they added a 1000 to the ticket and I walked. My wifey Jean said "get your ass back in here" I am not leaving without this car.......needless to say...............
I am in the maurader..now she want's a T2

martyo
01-31-2003, 06:21 AM
I like you wife. Does she have a sister with the same personality for me??