PDA

View Full Version : The reason my MM will rest a little in '05...

Lidio
10-07-2004, 08:21 PM
In the spring of ’04 I would often test drive near a local Ford dealer where a good friend of mine sold new cars. In front of the dealers lot sat a white ’04 Mustang Mach-1 that caught my eye. At this time I had never seen white Mach-1. Only the popular blue, red and black usually. For some reason the black scope, wing and stripes really stand out on the white version of the Mach-1. I drove by the dealer and seen the car for a few weeks and then finally decided to stop and look to see if it was a stick or automatic trans equipped. When I walked up to it and seen that it was an automatic, I new that very soon I was gona be putting a dent in my financial future with this car!!

I’m a huge automatic trans guy…. always have been. Sticks to me are just to much trouble and hassle when you begin to make substantial power in a street/strip type car. You have to be a hero to drive the shhiit out of it. And then the countless clutch and internal trans failures just aren’t worth it to me. I’ admit, sticks are fun. But getting to the finish line or the next street light first without worring about missing a gear is much funner!!

To me the Mach-1 is every thing the Cobra’s should have been many years ago. A 32V 4.6L, straight axle (not the wheel hoping, half shaft breaking IRS ’99 and newer Cobra’s got) and an available/optional automatic trans above all. The 03-04 Mach-1 is the first time Ford put an auto trans behind the 32V in a Mustang. In my opinion an Auto tran equipped Mach-1 is nothing short of a drag car waiting for the right power adder to get it going in a straight line very fast and reliably. After almost two years of working with the Trilogy’s on the 32V’s in the MM’s and lots of roots and screw blowers on the ’03 Cobra’s I decided that a screw type blower on an automatic equipped Mach-1 could make for a very serious drag and street car.

After a few conversations with Kenne Bell about his upcoming intercooled Auto-rotor blower for the ’99-’01 32V Cobra’s and the very similar Mach-1 32V, I deiced to take the plunge and purchase this car. For now its considered a shop project car that will be used to promote the Kenne Bells for the 32V’s and to continue to show how much we can punish the stock motors in these late model Ford’s.

It has turned out to be a very good looking car and has grown on me quite a bit in the last couple of months. To prepare it for what’s to come I’ve already done a few things to it. For starters I’ve lowered it about ¾” of an inch. We had the stock rear rims widened from 17X8 to 17X10.5! This allowed the BF 315/35/17 Drag radial to fit and look very tough on the back of the Mach-1. I’ve also done a complete 2.5” exhaust system with two cats and Flow-master 3-chamber mufflers. I’m leaving the stock cast manifolds on because it will be easier to service the trans this way and I’ve learned on screw and roots equipped motors that headers don’t make that much of a difference once the rest of the system is already 2.5”. The tail tips are stock type as well but are a larger diameter though.

The plan right off the bat is to leave the stock, tight torque converter in it and the stock 3.55 gears in the rear. I’m going to run the car exclusively on 100 unleaded fuel, because of what I’ve learned with it on my MM and how much its protected a very volatile combination on my MM.
I’m going to set the boost up to be in the neighbor hood or 18-20psi on the Mach’s stock motor! I think that with a proper tune with the 100 unleaded fuel it will produce some where in the 590-625RWHP. And with the stock 3.55’s and toque converter it should run around 10.40s to 10.60’s in the 1/4 mile. Whether or not it will do this on Drag radials we’ll see.

I’ve posted some PIC’s of the car with the lowering, wider rear wheels and tires plus the bigger tips.

I’ll update as I go over the late fall or winter with the car.

Thanks

Mach-1

Lidio
10-07-2004, 08:23 PM
More PIX

Mach-1

martyo
10-07-2004, 08:24 PM
Nice Lidio!!

Lidio
10-07-2004, 08:24 PM
rear shot with the big tires

Rear

Lidio
10-07-2004, 08:25 PM
One more..Big tire shot

drgnrdr33
10-07-2004, 08:40 PM
Some guys have ALL the fun! That is a sweet looking machine. Someone figure out how to post a WOT launch audio clip for it.

jobrien8
10-07-2004, 09:51 PM
So Lidio, when is the big runoff between you and Dave?

stevengerard
10-07-2004, 10:39 PM
Not only to you make a good arguement for an automatic you get one, hmmm never thought I'd think of a Mach 1 with an auto but it makes sense - especially for us middle aged folks

FiveO
10-08-2004, 05:52 AM
Saw this car in early Sept. when I was out at Lidio's shop.

Those are some meaty tires on the back! Really aggressive look.

I cannot wait to see how she does with the KB S/C on it!

Good luck Lidio. She's gonna be fun at the track.

2003DOHC
10-14-2004, 04:33 PM
Excellent choice,but please do not sell the Marauder.

Gunslinger
03-27-2005, 02:19 AM
Lidio,

Any updates or new pictures on the Mach Project?

Petrograde
03-27-2005, 05:48 AM
I must have missed this post originally.

..snip.. I’m a huge automatic trans guy…. always have been. You have to be a hero to drive the shhiit out of it. I' admit, sticks are fun. But getting to the finish line or the next street light first without worring about missing a gear is much funner!!...snip...

Thanks for saying that Lidio! :up: I feel the same way! I can drive a stick well enough, but I can't race one worth a schisse. I've always felt kinda bad about it... :o Now, I don't feel so bad.

woaface
03-27-2005, 07:09 AM
A hero to drive a manual? Or young and brash like me:D

Lidio
03-27-2005, 01:48 PM
Lidio,

Any updates or new pictures on the Mach Project?Yes Actually I have a couple of updates about it.

In the fall of 2004 around early October, the whole Kenne Bell blower thing on the Mach-1 came together. I went right to 18-19psi of boost as I originally said, and I ran it on 100 octane unleaded exclusively. The car ended up making 570-RWHP through two cats, stock manifolds and 3-chamber FloMasters, plus through the auto trans which robs more power then a stick as we all know on the chassis dyno. With zero weight reduction and no suspension work other then MegaBite lower rear control arms….. And truly nothing else touched on the suspension, and 315/35/17 drag radials on stock widened rear rims, It ran 10.89 at 132mph. The sixty foots at the ¼ were terrible 1.8’s!!! It should have been 60footing in the 1.6 range, but because of the immense low end, I couldn’t floor it till it got out about 200-250feet. With the K.B. pulley'd to make 19psi, the low and mid range is really some thing else.

Sadly though after a few passes down the 1/4 mile, the motor didn’t last as long as I preached or expected that it would. It kicked a connecting rod or broke a piston. Either way I scattered it real good. I might have over powered it, easy to say, although I‘ve had great luck with stock 4.6L’s and lots of boost. Or it was the tune, or not enough octane??
Inside I kinda thought the whole time I was planning to do this (Big Boost) to the Mach-1, that it might not last, even though I hit my Marauder pretty hard with the same motor and a heavier car.

So about two months after I bought the Mach, I began to build a forged lower end for it. The new lower end was ready to go around September or on stand by for me or a customer if needed. I broke the motor around mid October, and two weeks later I had it back together with the new forged lower end with 9.6 to 1 compression instead of the stock 10.1 to1. This slightly lower compression I’ve learned actually hurt some rear wheel HP. So for now I put a few miles on the new motor and a little dyno time in early November and then stored the car away till this past Easter week end. I’m going to sort a few minor things out on it in April and then hit the drags a little in May some time. I think in some nice May temperatures and some good track prep, it should hopefully go some where in the 10.60’s real soon if I can get it to go 1.6ish 60 foots.

Because of every thing I’ve got going on right now I’m going to try to not let the whole thing around the Mach-1 and why I bought it get over shadowed by the 05 Mustang that I need to learn more then any thing right now. I’m planning on playing with the Mach-1 in the spring and into the summer and then it looks like I’ll need to sell it later this summer. I don’t think Ford will make a car quite like this any time soon. The key reason I say this is primary because of the 4R70W trans it came with. Right now the new automatic’s in the 05 mustang is no where near as tough as the 4R70W in 04 and older stangs and MM’s.
I’ve heard rumors that there’s a beefier 6-speed auto coming in stangs and light trucks. We’ll have to

www.alternativeauto.com/misc/mach1_project_Dec1.html

The Mach-1 is supposed to get a feature in MM&FF this summer.

Merc-O-matic
03-27-2005, 07:54 PM
She's "sweet".....
Will the Mach be at Norwalk, O. in July?

Gotta Love It! ;)

Joe Walsh
03-27-2005, 08:15 PM
Lidio,
I missed this post too....WOW! I love those P315 'steamrollers' stuffed in the rear wheelwells! AWESOME LOOKING! :bows:
It must be fun to have some dork pull up next to you, not having noticed the 'slightly' wider rear wheels, and assume he's running a 13 second Mach I...
Then you lay a mid 10 on 'em and they just go....... :awe:
Sorry to hear about the grenaded engine....but you're good to go with the forged shortblock.
Are you planning on running more boost (19+?) with the reduced static compression ratio??

Gunslinger
03-27-2005, 09:26 PM
Lidio, Thanks for the update. I can't wait to see this car in MM&FF; excellent R&D!

Lidio
03-30-2005, 08:21 PM
Lidio,
I missed this post too....WOW! I love those P315 'steamrollers' stuffed in the rear wheelwells! AWESOME LOOKING! :bows:
It must be fun to have some dork pull up next to you, not having noticed the 'slightly' wider rear wheels, and assume he's running a 13 second Mach I...
Then you lay a mid 10 on 'em and they just go....... :awe:
Sorry to hear about the grenaded engine....but you're good to go with the forged shortblock.
Are you planning on running more boost (19+?) with the reduced static compression ratio??

For right now, no. I'm gona just lean on the spark a little bit more. The car still feels great and I'm having no belt issues at all with the current crank and blower pulley combo at 18.5psi of boost. I think the car already has a mid 10 in it. Just got to tweak a little and above all improve the 60ft.

Thanks

Joe Walsh
03-30-2005, 09:35 PM
For right now, no. I'm gona just lean on the spark a little bit more. The car still feels great and I'm having no belt issues at all with the current crank and blower pulley combo at 18.5psi of boost. I think the car already has a mid 10 in it. Just got to tweak a little and above all improve the 60ft.

Thanks

Well, now you might be able to run my Honda 1.6 V-TEC with NOS!!!
Did I mention that it's a TYPE 'R' ??? :razz:

:D ;)

Tallboy
04-02-2005, 06:55 PM
Lidio, I'll be at your shop for dyno-day in August. If you still have the Mach-1, you can go ahead and just leave the keys in it. I'll make sure no one [else] drives it...:D

bigslim
04-02-2005, 08:12 PM
Lidio took me for a ride in it after we did some dyno testing on my car. I will say that it is a beast. It really moves. I am not really a Mustang person but that car will make think otherwise.

Bowtie
04-15-2005, 06:12 AM
Lidio took me for a ride in it after we did some dyno testing on my car. I will say that it is a beast. It really moves. I am not really a Mustang person but that car will make think otherwise.
That thing's SICK, Lidio! :eek:
Hope to see those mid 10's soon.
Have you run it on a track with decent traction? You probably already know this, but if you have to run it at a test n tune event, your best chance for a good hook is to line up behind 8 or 10 big fast slicks cars. If they'll spray the track before those big boys run, they'll have it in great shape by the time you get to the line. That's the only way I can get my 1.6's on test n tune days.