PDA

View Full Version : For Discussion: Meeting #16 November 2004

Agent M79
10-09-2004, 03:00 PM
From our discussions at #15, we wanted to put forward the idea of taking a road trip to the mountains for a road tour of said mountains.

Let's talk it up, see what interest we can get for this.

I'd like to take a day and do a cruise like this. The mountains work for me.

dok
10-09-2004, 06:19 PM
Sounds great. Love the Carolina mountains. Beautiful country. :beer:

SC Cheesehead
10-10-2004, 08:43 AM
Depending on dates and times, the three of us (me. Ms. SCCH and the DTR) would love to go for a drive in the mountains. :drive:

SCCH

Agent M79
10-10-2004, 09:00 AM
Depending on dates and times, the three of us (me. Ms. SCCH and the DTR) would love to go for a drive in the mountains. :drive:

SCCH
I'm pretty sure we would be looking at our original meet date of Saturday November 13th.

We were talking about making it an all day thing and convening up there by mid-morning or so.

That's prchrman territory so I've PM'd him to see if he can hookup with us and help with some of the finer details.

Marauderman
10-10-2004, 10:39 AM
Absolutely--count us in --we've had # 7 in the VA. Mountains--whole lota fun!! --that show be four --lets hear from some more--this is sounding great!!

stevencory
10-11-2004, 06:56 AM
That would be wonderful, but I've just been informed
that same evening I should be one of the people
celebrating the 30th anniversary of a VIP. :rolleyes:

Awe gasprices, I would have enjoyed that trip. :depress:

Welp, we began our journey 10/08/2004 on the BRP (http://www.nps.gov/blri/pphtml/eventdetail14616.html) at
Fancy Gap, VA and traveled on it to Boone, NC. :coolman:
This must have been the most beautiful drive I've ever made.
The ride was comfortable and the Marauder climbs and
takes these curves with the greatest of ease. We stopped
at many of the overlooks to observe some breath taking views.

We plan on crusin' through MM (http://www.ils.unc.edu/parkproject/visit/momo/home.html) next weekend.
I really like the season changing and have really
enjoyed the way the trees look now. :burnout:

Agent M79
10-11-2004, 07:45 AM
According to our local expert (prchrman), by the time November 13th rolls around the leaves will be gone. I think we had already discussed that we didn't much mind that as we just wanted a cruise.

Should be less "obstacles" if there are no leave to look at.

prchrman
10-11-2004, 07:53 AM
It will be a nice ride anyway...bring your jackets at above 3000' gets pretty cool that time of the year...we could meet at the mineral museum on parkway and proceed from there...willie, you friendly woodhick preacher.

Marauderman
10-11-2004, 08:13 AM
If I recall, frdwrnch , Russel, said he and Pat would love to make a day of it too--so that would be seven (7) count MM's so far--oh this is gonna be good....anymore want to cruise with us!!!!!!!!!...Tom

Agent M79
10-13-2004, 07:55 AM
In discussions with prchrman, a good chunk of the parkway is out of service so the route that is proposed is this:

I-77 to 421 (towards Boone)
421 to 221 (221 runs east of and parallel to the parkway)
221 to I-40

We'd prolly end up going our separate ways at I-40.

This cruise as outlined above is roughly 2 1/2 or 2 3/4 hours long (measuring from Statesville). Setting aside for the moment hookup places and times, how does everyone feel about the route itself?

Marauderman
10-13-2004, 08:40 AM
In discussions with prchrman, a good chunk of the parkway is out of service so the route that is proposed is this:

I-77 to 421 (towards Boone)
421 to 221 (221 runs east of and parallel to the parkway)
221 to I-40

We'd prolly end up going our separate ways at I-40.

This cruise as outlined above is roughly 2 1/2 or 2 3/4 hours long (measuring from Statesville). Setting aside for the moment hookup places and times, how does everyone feel about the route itself?
well, I suppose ok----anyone know what there is to stop and look at along this route?--Is prchman meeting us--and where again?....I guess what I'm asking is--If we could put together a plan, like meet at x, drive a bit to x, stop and check out x, motor on to x, do same , motor on to x and so forth----something like that--just need to fill in the x's....my thinking anyway......Tom

Agent M79
10-13-2004, 08:53 AM
well, I suppose ok----anyone know what there is to stop and look at along this route?--Is prchman meeting us--and where again?....I guess what I'm asking is--If we could put together a plan, like meet at x, drive a bit to x, stop and check out x, motor on to x, do same , motor on to x and so forth----something like that--just need to fill in the x's....my thinking anyway......TomI would suspect we'd be hooking up in different places. If the Charlotte people meet down in Charlotte and motor up 77, I'll pick up in Mooresville. Anyone along I-40 can pick us up in Statesville. That is where prchrman thought he might hookup with us.

Personally, I'd like to stop maybe in Blowing Rock and eat some lunch before we head through the mountains on 221. Beyond the crusing itself, prchrman will have to tell us if there are other interesting stops or things to do as I have no idea what else there is to do besides cruise.

Anyone else with knowledge of the area can speak up as well. It's going to be a little hard to put together a schedule without knowing if more stops than lunch are to be made.

Marauderman
10-13-2004, 07:57 PM
I would suspect we'd be hooking up in different places. If the Charlotte people meet down in Charlotte and motor up 77, I'll pick up in Mooresville. Anyone along I-40 can pick us up in Statesville. That is where prchrman thought he might hookup with us.

Personally, I'd like to stop maybe in Blowing Rock and eat some lunch before we head through the mountains on 221. Beyond the crusing itself, prchrman will have to tell us if there are other interesting stops or things to do as I have no idea what else there is to do besides cruise.

Anyone else with knowledge of the area can speak up as well. It's going to be a little hard to put together a schedule without knowing if more stops than lunch are to be made.
Thanks Dave--Now Thats what I'm talking about--you seem to have the same idea as I do--so lets hear from you others folks---we seem to be thinking alike at least----so anybody know of some fill in for those "x"'s....

and ...huh. HAPPY BIRTHDAY STEVE CORY from out group----TODAY!!

SC Cheesehead
10-14-2004, 08:27 AM
Thanks Dave--Now Thats what I'm talking about--you seem to have the same idea as I do--so lets hear from you others folks---we seem to be thinking alike at least----so anybody know of some fill in for those "x"'s....

and ...huh. HAPPY BIRTHDAY STEVE CORY from out group----TODAY!!Where are we going to pick up 221? Is the plan to take I-77 up into VA and intersect, or are we going to cut over, say on 421, and pick it up in western NC? Also, I'm assuming we're going to run 221 southwest toward Asheville. If we do, and it's not too late, we may want to spend a little time in/around Asheville before heading home.

SCCH

prchrman
10-14-2004, 08:45 AM
the question is what time do we hook up at statesville...then I can say where we will eat...wilksboro has got a applebees and such, so does boone...about the route...we can go 77 to 421 over to the parkway, then go the parkway to 221...the parkway got washed out close to the intersection to highway 80...some of the sites along the way are grandfather mt., the viaduct, lineville falls...grand father costs $10 a head so I do not know if any would want to do that...421 is nearly as pretty as the parkway and the leaves could still be around as it is at about 1400' instead of over 3000'...as far as going to asheville from 221 you can go south to I40 and go up or go 19 to I26 into Asheville...also do we want to eat breakfast in statesville? OBTW we got to do the MM leather jackets, right! I believe Agent has spearheaded this so we should probably work through him...willie

Marauderman
10-14-2004, 10:57 AM
the question is what time do we hook up at statesville...then I can say where we will eat...wilksboro has got a applebees and such, so does boone...about the route...we can go 77 to 421 over to the parkway, then go the parkway to 221...the parkway got washed out close to the intersection to highway 80...some of the sites along the way are grandfather mt., the viaduct, lineville falls...grand father costs $10 a head so I do not know if any would want to do that...421 is nearly as pretty as the parkway and the leaves could still be around as it is at about 1400' instead of over 3000'...as far as going to asheville from 221 you can go south to I40 and go up or go 19 to I26 into Asheville...also do we want to eat breakfast in statesville? OBTW we got to do the MM leather jackets, right! I believe Agent has spearheaded this so we should probably work through him...willie

.....Thanks Willie--some nice ideas and good input there--sounds even better with ever input ----seems a plan can be formulated well in time for this trip--just need good weather this time---well, I'll be with/seeing Agent M79 in Alt. this wekend -so I will discuss all this with him--( leather jacket thingy-???Hummm)..something I musta missed--yeah --colder time of year--definitely take the leather.....anyone else---some good thoughts are starting to emerg!!........ Tom

frdwrnch
10-19-2004, 07:17 PM
So far, so good. Looks like we're having inventory that weekend so I don't have to work. Let's ride!

SC Cheesehead
10-20-2004, 06:17 AM
So far, so good. Looks like we're having inventory that weekend so I don't have to work. Let's ride!Where and at what time are the Charlotte guys planning to meet for the drive? I'd like to hook up with you whereever and go on from there.

Is there some place close to the intersection of I-85 and I-77 where we can meet up?

SCCH

Agent M79
10-20-2004, 07:23 AM
Where and at what time are the Charlotte guys planning to meet for the drive? I'd like to hook up with you whereever and go on from there.

Is there some place close to the intersection of I-85 and I-77 where we can meet up?

SCCH
Yes. Well get this finalized soon.

It looks like we are forming 2 hookup locations right now. One in Charlotte somewhere, and possibly one in Statesville where prchrman will join us. I, being halfway between those points, would either join the convoy on I-77 around exit 36 (Mooresville) or at hookup place #2 in Statesville.

prchrman
10-20-2004, 07:44 AM
We gonna eat breakfast together? willie

Agent M79
10-20-2004, 09:49 AM
We gonna eat breakfast together? willieSince we have the route selected, I am going to work up a tentative schedule for the trip.

I would like to time it so that we eat lunch where 421 and 221 meet up or somewhere near there. Looks like Boone, yes prchrman? If we can establish that as the lunch stop, I can time and schedule everything before it and the cruise down 221 (our parkway alternative) at our leisure.

Prchrman, do you know whats good to eat in Boone? What about places worthy of stopping along 221?

We'll likely breakup and head in our own directions where 221 hits I-40 unless it is late enough in the day to stop and have dinner before splitting.

Time to talk is now before it becomes a solid plan!

prchrman
10-20-2004, 10:17 AM
was in Blowing Rock this past weekend, went shopping at the outlets there and also ate lunch at a place called Canyons, very good food and what a view while you eat! Blowing Rock is right on the Parkway and Boone is a little drive to get to. It was beautiful after the clouds cleared...willie

dok
10-20-2004, 02:02 PM
I suggest that we all meet at JR's in Statesville at exit 50 of I77. They have a large parking lot and it's only 1 mile south of I40 which would be convenient if anyone comes from the Raleigh or Greensboro area.

I have driven by the Canyons in Blowing Rock several times. Always thought it looked like a great place to eat, but my wife was always in a hurry to get "downtown" to start shopping.

Agent M79
10-20-2004, 04:34 PM
Ok. Here is what I've got tentatively:

10:15am - Meet in Statesville
10:30am - Depart Statesville
12:00pm - Arrive Canyons Restaurant in Blowing Rock
1:30pm - Depart Canyons

From the restaurant, it is about an hour of driving until we go our separate ways at I-40. We need maybe another stop or two after Canyons. Any suggestions? Maybe some light shopping? Scenic overlooks? What is happening on 221 south of Blowing Rock?

It probably would be a little early for dinner at Marion (where 221 meets I-40) even if we stop somewhere for an hour, but do we want to plan a stop there for final fellowship and goodbyes? Hmm?

SC Cheesehead
10-20-2004, 05:42 PM
Ok. Here is what I've got tentatively:

10:15am - Meet in Statesville

From the restaurant, it is about an hour of driving until we go our separate ways at I-40. We need maybe another stop or two after Canyons. Any suggestions? Maybe some light shopping? Scenic overlooks? What is happening on 221 south of Blowing Rock?

It probably would be a little early for dinner at Marion (where 221 meets I-40) even if we stop somewhere for an hour, but do we want to plan a stop there for final fellowship and goodbyes? Hmm?Sounds like a plan. DOK, marauderman, do you want to meet up somewhere in CLT and make the drive togethre up to Statesville?

M79, I'm all for the "final fellowship and goodbyes" deal as well, any chance we could find a spot with 110 oz longnecks? (eh, marauderman?)

SCCH

prchrman
10-25-2004, 07:03 AM
Things south of Blowing Rock are the Via duct, some nice overlooks, Linville Falls, Grandfather Mountain ($10 per) and also Linville caverns...the parkway is closed at the intersection of 181 so if you want you can head down to Marion that way...at about 4 to 4:30pm I will have to cut and run...but should be about done by then...willie

I guess from the looks of things we will not meet to eat breakfast??

Marauderman
10-25-2004, 09:56 AM
OK...I vote on all meeting for breakfast in Statesville,at an eariler time frame.

After all, we said we wanted to make this an all day event--

SO if all agree, lets set a time for breakfast somewhere arouind JR'S exit on I-77... anyone know of a place near JR"s lot?????
...then we could spend more time chatting about the plans we have come up with for our day and road routes--although prchman and Agent will most likely have all that defined by then ,,but just the same--it makes for a longer day this way--breakfast that is---

SO what do you all think about this.....?

Either way, I can meet SC Cheeshead at I-77 North at the Sunset Rd exit , first exit north on I-77 from I-85. ..WIll locate place and post later...

We can motor up I-77 , meet the rest at JR"S parking lot . From there we go on to (breakfast maybe) or to lunch as previously posted ..........

Agent M79
10-25-2004, 10:46 AM
If we want to do both breakfast and lunch, then here is the schedule:

8:45am - Meet in Statesville at Signal Hill Mall near IHOP
9:00am - Breakfast at IHOP at Singal Hill Mall

I am pretty sure if we can get in and seated by 9:00ish that we should be able to motor by 10:30. No rush. Those that don't want to do breakfast can show up at the original time and still stick to the original schedule.

Signal Hill Mall is one block from JR's and yards from the exit 50. The IHOP is in the mall, not a stand-alone building. I'll provide maps once we've finalized.

prchrman
10-25-2004, 12:16 PM
8:45 is good for me, I'm in............................ .............................. ..........
Agent I forgot about the Outlets at Blowing Rock if the womans (maybe even the mans) want to do some Christmas shopping...OBTW I am going to SSHS4 the Sat before 11-06-04...how many Carolina guys going down? Will be down early Friday the 5th...we could meet up with the other MM guys for supper...what ya thank men?...November is national MARAUDER MONTH, isn't it?...willie

Marauderman
10-25-2004, 03:25 PM
8:45 is good for me, I'm in............................ .............................. ..........
Agent I forgot about the Outlets at Blowing Rock if the womans (maybe even the mans) want to do some Christmas shopping...OBTW I am going to SSHS4 the Sat before 11-06-04...how many Carolina guys going down? Will be down early Friday the 5th...we could meet up with the other MM guys for supper...what ya thank men?...November is national MARAUDER MONTH, isn't it?...willie..
........willie----I'll be there..arriving earily at Team in Alt about 10-11 Am Fri..getting #7 some fix'n for Sat race....then drive back up the road to Ramada in thr evening..don't know when we'll check in due to MM work at Team--but will be there eventually Fri nite and on Sat......glad to have some cheers for us there..did you hear--Five O is coming down from MN...now thats Cool !!! and saying something---hope to see ya there--.I think we will have a better showing than before......Tom

.and of course , if #7 survives all this fun--we''ll crank her up for some more of this mountain fun --gotta love those mountains...

prchrman
10-26-2004, 08:45 AM
Good deal Tom...OBTW the Canyons eating establishment has a web site... www.canyonsbr.com ...has menu and such...I will not be driving on down to Atl...willie

frdwrnch
10-27-2004, 06:46 PM
I will not be able to make breakfast but I should be able to meet up with y'all before you leave Statesville. I've got your phone #'s.

Marauderman
10-28-2004, 09:38 AM
OK--so frdwrnch cannot meet for breakfast--he can meet at JR's lot after we have breakfast or at a time( to be determined) we set for leaving Jr's lot either way ----so -who wants breakfast--( didn't vote earlier--but you know anyway--) I vote for breakfast---how about the rest of you-???

Agent M79
10-28-2004, 10:45 AM
OK--so frdwrnch cannot meet for breakfast--he can meet at JR's lot after we have breakfast or at a time( to be determined) we set for leaving Jr's lot either way ----so -who wants breakfast--( didn't vote earlier--but you know anyway--) I vote for breakfast---how about the rest of you-???
The IHOP at Signal Hill Mall is next door to JR's. Same exit, just a driveway or two down from there. Anyone not joining us for breakfast can meet us there afterwards.

Once I have some other details together (expect Saturday or Sunday), I'll post the meeting/cruise thread with all of the info, but the schedule will be:

Frdwrnch (and anyone else skipping breakfast with us) can hook up with us in Statesville at the IHOP before 10:30am.

I will be at breakfast and I will also call ahead and let them know what our confirmed headcount is.

If there are more ideas, places to stop, or changes from the route listed somewhere up near the beginning of this thread, let me know so I can publish that along with the other info this weekend!

And not to be a gloomy gus, but we may wish to consider a rain-out plan if an all-out cancel is unacceptable.

prchrman
10-28-2004, 11:07 AM
rain happens...willie

Marauderman
10-28-2004, 01:23 PM
rain happens...willie
,..........now willie----it's time like this when we turn to you and ask you to put together your best preaching thoughts when we get near our day and have it ready to use just in case...ok--so get busy...

Marauderman
10-28-2004, 01:40 PM

..Hey Agent--how about starting breakfast at about 7:45 am --to go from one eatery to another is a bit much so close in time-----hey I'm further south and don't mind--so how about it--wouldn't it seem better to spread some time from breakfast and lunch..what do you think?...It's..what I'm thinking anyway-----lets be honest here--thats what I'm trying to do.....sure glad we have all this time to discuss all this out....this is gonna be fun no matter.....Tom

SC Cheesehead
10-28-2004, 03:44 PM
..Hey Agent--how about starting breakfast at about 7:45 am --to go from one eatery to another is a bit much so close in time-----hey I'm further south and don't mind--so how about it--wouldn't it seem better to spread some time from breakfast and lunch..what do you think?...It's..what I'm thinking anyway-----lets be honest here--thats what I'm trying to do.....sure glad we have all this time to discuss all this out....this is gonna be fun no matter.....TomMarauder man, you're killing me!!:gunfire:

What time am I going to have to leave GVL to make it up to Stateville for a 7:45 am breakfast?

Hmmmmmmmmm, maybe I should drive up Friday pm and find a place to flop in the Queen's City.:snoopy:

SCCH

Agent M79
10-28-2004, 04:20 PM
What time am I going to have to leave GVL to make it up to Stateville for a 7:45 am breakfast?
I think he means to eat down in Charlotte somewhere for breakfast and just do a hookup for late-joiners in Statesville.

There is a Bob Evans down by where we usually meet. How will that work for everyone? I can work on the timing later if we are good for this place.

SC Cheesehead
10-29-2004, 07:20 AM
I think he means to eat down in Charlotte somewhere for breakfast and just do a hookup for late-joiners in Statesville.

There is a Bob Evans down by where we usually meet. How will that work for everyone? I can work on the timing later if we are good for this place.
Agent,

Yup, that makes sense. I'm all for Bob Evans for breakfast and then the cruise up to Statesville. If we do it that way, I can leave GVL about 6:00 and be up in CLT by 7:45 (sooner depending on traffic).

Marauderman, that sound like a plan? BTW, I'll be running solo, Ms. SCCH has other commitments for the day.

SCCH.

prchrman
10-29-2004, 03:10 PM
I'm rooted out...no 7:45 for me...statesville is at least 1.5 hours for me...but it is no big deal...meet you somewhere...sometime...someday ...somehow...somebody?...JK... willie...I'm flexible but not gay...

Marauderman
11-01-2004, 05:01 AM
WEll, I've ben off the board awhile cause I had to work last weekend so I could be free for the 13th....

SC Cheesehead..I am sorry--I totally forgot about your drive time for that earily breakfast time---I see your point.....the idea of breakfast and an earily one was from prchrman questioning breakfast anyone?...so I thought that was sometthing we could do.....I apoligize for the earily time in your case-however it seems we can maybe still have an earily bite anyway----sounds like Bob Evans is a go at about what 7:45 or 8AM then--you, me, Dok and
Agent I guess...

Then on up to Statesville at JR"s parking lot to meet Others--- Agent---Is that about right?........Tom

Agent M79
11-01-2004, 09:56 AM
Sorry guys. Didn't get a chance to post. Between panned events (Nicky's soccer tourny, 3 games, 2 days) and some unplanned family medical difficulties (fine now) I did not have a chance to post the final info for #16. I will get that finsihed up this week.

It basically will be a breakfast in Charlotte, with final hookup point in Statesville at JR's and then the loop through the mountains with lunch at Canyons. We can decide about other stops along the way.

SC Cheesehead
11-01-2004, 11:48 AM
Sorry guys. Didn't get a chance to post. Between panned events (Nicky's soccer tourny, 3 games, 2 days) and some unplanned family medical difficulties (fine now) I did not have a chance to post the final info for #16. I will get that finsihed up this week.

It basically will be a breakfast in Charlotte, with final hookup point in Statesville at JR's and then the loop through the mountains with lunch at Canyons. We can decide about other stops along the way.Marauderman, Agent:

7:45 am breakfast in CLT works for me, should we plan on Bob Evans or do you prefer elsewhere? :food:

Looking forward to the trip, any final count on who's going along?

PS - Just a reminder, don't forget to vote tomorrow! :flag:

SCCH

Agent M79
11-04-2004, 10:39 AM
Alrighty. This should be the final post [whew!] for comment before the plan is solid.

Schedule/Route

8:15am: Meet at Bob Evan’s on Gateway Lane in Concord.
8:30am: Get in, Sit down
9:30am: Depart Bob Evan’s, head up I-85 North to I-77 North to Exit 50
10:15am: Arrive at JR’s parking lot. We’ll park just inside the driveway to the right.

This is where prchrman and frdwrnch are planning to hookup with us. I would like prchrman to take the lead at this point since we’ll be heading in to his territory.

10:30am: Depart JR’s heading up I-77 North to Exit 73 and onto US 421 West
12:00pm: Arrive at Canyons Restaurant

At this point, things get casual and less schedule intensive. The plan is to cruise the mountains via US 221 and ending in Marion where US 221 meets I-40. There, with some suggestion from prchrman, we can stop, get a drink and/or snack, have a goodbye session and each go off in our different directions for home.

If this is the plan, I will post it officially and include addresses, websites, and other information I can include.

I would also like to build a cell phone list for the trip so if you would please, PM me the cell phone number of the phone you are bringing and I will distribute the list when me meet in Concord and Charlotte.

For those of you with FRS radios, charge them up and bring them too. I may have access to a few and I will bring them. At the very least, the last guy and the first guy in the convoy should have them if we all can’t.

I would also like to set Friday the 12th at 5pm as the "go / no-go" time. If we are going to have to call the trip for weather (or otherwise), we’ll post it here. Everyone will need to check in Friday night/Saturday morning to make sure it is not cancelled. Fair enough?

dok
11-04-2004, 10:50 AM
Dave

It all sounds great to me. We will be at Bob Evans for breakfast. Just got a coupon in the mail today worth $5 off a meal there.

No cell phone! :rolleyes:

Marauderman
11-04-2004, 10:52 AM
Sounds good to me--huh, the B.Evans--is this the one off Speedway Blvd.?

Agent M79
11-04-2004, 11:53 AM
Sounds good to me--huh, the B.Evans--is this the one off Speedway Blvd.?
Yep. It is next door to the place we used to meet... the Roadhouse?

Marauderman
11-04-2004, 07:05 PM
.........thanks Agent---gotta go get ready for Alt in the AM--wish more of our group could come on down for the day(6th)-----see ya at the B.Evans......

Bigdogjim
11-04-2004, 07:56 PM
WOW a ride though the hills...............how cool:up:

Best of luck with the weather and leaves:):):)

SC Cheesehead
11-04-2004, 08:39 PM
See you at 8:15 am at Bob Evans. Agent, PM with the cell phone number will be on its way shortly.

BTW, I sent woface an e-mail to see if he may want to join in the fun.

Let's hope for good weather.:sunshine:

SCCH