PDA

View Full Version : Some great cleaning and detailing products

Silver_04
10-13-2004, 06:00 PM
Although I'm no longer in the Marauder owners club, I'd thought I'd share a couple of products for car cleaning with y'all.

1. 3M swirl mark remover #39009. Holy cow this stuff is amazing. It even tackles light scratches. I highly recommend using it with a random orbit buffer unless you have a small job to tackle.
2. Porter Cable random orbit buffer #7424. This thing makes applying wax, swirl mark remover or whatever you fancy a breeze.
3. Sonus foam buffing pads. Using the right pad with the right polish or wax does wonders. I can actually see myself in the white paint on the new truck.

Silver_04
10-16-2004, 06:17 PM
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=43 16&stc=1
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=43 17&stc=1

Just think how the products I mentioned would make a dark colored car look like. If you stare at the truck too long in the sun, you'll burn you retinas out.

metroplex
10-16-2004, 07:13 PM
Just NuFinish gives me the same results with my deep wedgewood blue Crown Vic.

Silver_04
10-17-2004, 06:36 AM
Just NuFinish gives me the same results with my deep wedgewood blue Crown Vic.

I doubt it. And NuFinish isn't going to make white paint look like what I've achieved. Next topic...motor oil :)

stevengerard
10-17-2004, 06:39 AM
took me a second to figure out what was truck and reflection on the first pic. are the sonus pads for the buffer or for use by hand?

metroplex
10-17-2004, 06:42 AM
Eat crow:

http://www.redpulsar.us/~coldfusion/film11/E250-3.jpg

NuFinish on a 2003 E-250 Black Clearcoat

http://www.redpulsar.us/~coldfusion/film8/Side2.jpg

And the 2nd pic is when I didn't wash it for about 6 months. :flamer:

TAF
10-17-2004, 06:45 AM
Eat crow: :flamer:Don't mind him Chris...you have to take guys that have fake cop cars AND "Prisoner Transport Vehicles" as their personal rides with a grain of salt......

Yo...Metro....lighten up, dude!

MarauderMark
10-17-2004, 06:53 AM
well i'll tel ya. i started with turtle wax then it went to zaino(which i still use)then i will try mequires nxsomethin then this cyrstal guard and the zymol and then the product which you talk about.all this w/o a buffer(one of these days).actually i posted this so i can look back on this later:D

CRUZTAKER
10-17-2004, 04:07 PM
1. 3M swirl mark remover #39009. Holy cow this stuff is amazing. It even tackles light scratches.
Many a member can attest...I don't leave home without it.

Silver_04
10-17-2004, 05:51 PM
Eat crow:

Eat crow? Is that what ya'll in MI feast upon? May I recommend some BBQ for your next meal as I imagine it's much tastier. Anyhow tisk, tisk; you're still comparing your dark paint to my light paint walkietalkie man...apples and oranges, apples and oranges. NuFinish is full of abrasives and just HIDES swirls, my get up REMOVES them without roughing up my new car finish. So again, NuFinish won't deliver the same depth, reflection and swirl free surface I achieved. Your flame kinda lost its heat now.

If you're happy with the results of a product engineered in the '80's: great. But, I'd appreciate it if you would stop turning my thread into a "my wax is better than your wax" thread. You want to argue with me about this, then try my polish set up on one of your vehicles and let me know if NuFinish is just as good. Until then...troll elsewhere.

stevengerard-The Sonus pads that I used are for a buffer and I haven't seen any for hand use. The website seems to be down, but check www.sonus-usa.com evey now and then. However, I imagine you could make a velcro adapter and use them by hand. Kinda big though, 7" diameter.

MarauderMark-get a random orbit buffer! I don't know how I went so long without one. It's fantastic. The random orbit one I have is very gentle and hobby detailers like us won't get in over our heads with it.

Todd! How did Marauder weekend go? Sorry I couldn't make it. Did you by chance get my e-mail?

Embassy
10-18-2004, 10:57 AM
I can vouch for that 3M swirl remover. It did wonders on my Medium Wedgewood Blue '98. I use it in conjunction with some other products.

http://www.supermotors.org/getfile/117961/fullsize/Frt%20Fascia.JPG
Some more pics of the last detail session can be seen here:

http://www.supermotors.org/registry/vehicles/detail.php?id=588&s=17553#content

I'll be purchasing the Porter Cable soon to save my hands and arms the wear and tear.

Thanks for the recommendations on the pads and congratulations on the results.

Silver_04
10-18-2004, 04:30 PM
Steve-Haven't seen you around in a while. How things going? What on earth happened to your car?

Embassy
10-20-2004, 02:34 PM
Steve-Haven't seen you around in a while. How things going? What on earth happened to your car?
Things are going well.

That picture was taken during the spring detailing session. For me, it was easier to remove the corner lamps, grille, and taillamps than to clean any wax residue from the cracks.

Hope things are going well down south? How long did you own the Merc?

Silver_04
10-23-2004, 05:22 AM
Had the car for a whooping 11 months.

Embassy
10-23-2004, 08:52 AM
Had the car for a whooping 11 months.
I bet the most miles you put on her was when you came to Hardinsburg. ;)

jakdad
10-25-2004, 04:34 AM
My dark paint? My dark paint on what? If you mean NuFinish will look as good on dark paint as my set up...again you're wrong. See why in my last post.

Ah, yes my Chebby rust bucket. The problems I had with my last three very late model Fords (Marauder included) put me in Chevys...I digress. Oh, I've never, never seen a late model dark car with rust in Michigan...no never. And I've never ever seen a late model Ford in MI rusting. Thanks for letting me know my "Chebby" could rust. Who'd of guessed it? And if it's a vehicle less than three years old rusting out, regardless of where the vehicle is located, those manufacturers have an awful lot of warranty claims on their hands for corrosion warranty failure then. I don't buy your claim. You know how much capital mfgr's would drop if they couldn't get a car to last for at least 3 MI winters?

I worked in exterior automotive paints and the pigment of the paint has very little if anything to do with vehicle rust in modern paints because ALL paints have to pass the same durability tests. It now hinges on how well the metal was prepped, the quality of the virgin paint and how well the paint was applied. You get the application, thickness and clear coat right...the colors are all the same. White paint doesn't rust any faster than any other color...rust just shows up more on light paints. :shake:

Moderators! Troll! Troll!
Friends don't let friends drive "brand X"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!