PDA

View Full Version : Read what he was driving!

Mike M
01-24-2003, 09:53 PM
email this article
print this article get the daily bulletin subscribe to the print edition

Top prosecutor told to retire or be fired
Fresno County's Ken Hahus had been arrested in drunken-driving case.
By Michael Baker
The Fresno Bee
(Published Saturday, January 11, 2003, 5:24 AM)

A top prosecutor, who became embroiled in a controversy over possibly receiving preferential treatment after a drunken driving arrest, said he has been asked to retire from the Fresno County District Attorney's Office.
Chief Deputy District Attorney Ken Hahus said he received the notice Thursday night. Sources in the District Attorney's Office said Hahus was told to either retire in two weeks or be fired.

"I really don't think it's appropriate to talk about this," he said when contacted by The Bee. "I was just told that they lost confidence in my ability to operate as a prosecutor in the DA's office."

District Attorney Elizabeth Egan declined to comment, saying it was an internal personnel issue.

"I cannot comment on personnel matters," she said. "I don't think I can even comment if an employee waives that right ... It's clear in the law."

Egan said she did not believe she would ever be able to comment on the matter.

"I'm trying to do what's right here and follow the law," she said.

Hahus, 53, is a 19-year veteran of the District Attorney's Office and served on sex crimes and homicide teams before becoming a chief deputy, a supervisor role within the office. He was handling the investigation into Genesis Inc., a group home and foster-care business suspected of embezzling more than $450,000 in government funds.

Sources speculated that Hahus' dismissal stemmed from either his drunken driving arrest in November or his support of Egan's election foe, Jeff Hamilton, or both.

Hahus found himself at the center of a controversy when it was revealed that Fresno police may have shown him favoritism after the Nov. 3 arrest. Officers drove his car to his house rather than towing and impounding the vehicle.

Hahus avoided having to pay the city $125 to get his black 2003 Mercury Marauder released. The prosecutor said that he was embarrassed and depressed about the arrest and that he does not believe he asked officers to drive his car to his home.

It was Hahus' second arrest for alleged drunken driving, the other one in April 1997.

After the story was published in The Bee, Police Chief Jerry Dyer apologized for the department's handling of the case.

Hahus, who faces a court date in the case, was suspended from his job for four weeks without pay by then-District Attorney Ed Hunt.

At the time, Egan said she did not know how she would handle the situation when she took office. Friday, she declined to comment as to whether it was a reason for the prosecutor's dismissal.

Many in and outside the office fear Hahus' dismissal might have something to do with his support of Hamilton during the November election. Hahus gave $2,400 to Hamilton for his run against Egan.

Although she would not comment Friday, Egan said in the hours after her election that there would be no retribution or shake-ups because of fellow prosecutors' support of Hamilton.

Friday, Egan cited budget cutbacks when saying there might be future changes in the office.

"Chances are, we are looking at a lot of changes in the office," she said.

But Hahus' dismissal may have already driven a wedge between Egan and some of her staff members.

"I would hate to think that because he was a strong supporter of Hamilton that this happened," said longtime Fresno defense attorney Ernest Kinney. "This could send a real bad message. This could divide the office."

Fellow prosecutors called Hahus "loved" and said his forced leaving is a "sucker-punch" to the office. Hahus was the person they went to for help with a trial or legal question, they said. None felt comfortable being quoted about Hahus' dismissal.

Defense attorney Michael Idiart said he has already heard from several prosecutors: "There's a lot of upset prosecutors. They were very, very, very, very upset about it."

Prosecutors and many in the legal community concurred that Hahus is a good attorney.

He received statewide recognition in October 1980 when he was named one of Fresno County's top prosecutors by California Lawyer magazine following a survey of judges, defense lawyers and district attorneys.

Although often Hahus' opponents, defense attorneys had only good things to say about the way Hahus did his job.

"I think he's viewed by most people as very highly qualified and a likeable person," Idiart said.

While he has no idea what is in Hahus' personnel file, Idiart said, "it's hard for me to believe there's that much negative about his job performance."

The reporter can be reached at mbaker@fresnobee.com or 441-6465.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Speak Out! on News
We invite your comments about this article. Registration is required for participation in our Speak Out! forums.
Please be aware you are entering a public forum and your messages can be viewed by others. If you are trying to contact the reporter, please visit our
About Us section.

You only need to register once. If you have already registered please click on Post to participate or View to read messages.

© 2003, The Fresno Bee

LincMercLover
01-24-2003, 10:09 PM
I think ALL Marauder priveledges should be stripped from him immediately! That is some crazy **** though... :shake:

Menace
01-24-2003, 11:00 PM
:flamer:

SergntMac
01-25-2003, 02:14 AM
"suspended from work for four weeks, no pay" and before any trial...Jeeze!

cyled
01-25-2003, 06:23 AM
And who said the Marauder doesn't get any advertising? :D

martyo
01-25-2003, 07:13 AM
I hope this doen't count against the Marauder's "fifteen minutes of fame"!!!!!

cheddar 96 SS
01-25-2003, 08:38 AM
Boy, you marauder owners sure are some bad seeds. :P

Beadhead
01-25-2003, 04:14 PM
At least the man should be given credit for having good automotive taste! :burnout:

DHULK
01-26-2003, 10:21 AM
I don`t think the cops were doing him a favor driving his car home ,I just think they wanted to drive it!!!