PDA

View Full Version : Brake retrofit (give mom MM brakes?)

David Morton
10-18-2004, 08:58 PM
I'm getting the 14" KVR total package through Dennis and am wondering if I can use the old brakes to retrofit the '97 GM I gave my mom when I bought the Marauder. They are bigger front rotors, right(?), but how about the rears? And do the front calipers fit?

BK_GrandMarquis
10-18-2004, 09:39 PM
I'm getting the 14" KVR total package through Dennis and am wondering if I can use the old brakes to retrofit the '97 GM I gave my mom when I bought the Marauder. They are bigger front rotors, right(?), but how about the rears? And do the front calipers fit?
I think you have to check your rim size on the Marquis. Not sure what the stock rim on that was but I am pretty sure you will need 16" minimum to clear the larger Marauder rotors.

Stephen Soulsby
10-18-2004, 09:59 PM
The front won't work because when you lay the rotors down flat, the fronts are about 1" taller on the GM. Plus the front calipers are different.

On the rear, they may work if you can take the caliper brackets from the Marauder and put them on the GM (I'm not sure what all you remove with the kit you got). The rear rotor is almost idetical. Plus the 03+ are vented in the rear, and the 02 and prior are solid. I tried this on my father's 01 CV, but the Marauder rotor is about 1/4" too tall and hits the caliper bracket.

Remember that on the rear of the 02 and prior, the rear calipers don't face the same way (one side faces front, and the other side faces rear). But the 03+ they both face the same way. So again, as long as you can use the caliper brackets off of the Marauder, you should be able to swap the rear brake setup. And the advantage is haveing slightly larger VENTED rotors. There's nothing that can be done for the front using your Marauder parts.