PDA

View Full Version : Installed SS Hoses on N/A Stock Brakes MM

Slowpoke
10-21-2004, 05:25 PM
Well folks, I finally got my set of SS brake hoses installed today. I've got a N/A MM, chipped, 4.30 gears, Paul's HP Intake, and pulleys. But my brakes were completely STOCK.

Me and Mac drive around a bit in stop and go traffic and I can report that there is a definite difference. Mac used the word 'precise'' in describing the braking and he is certainly correct. The braking is considerably smoother with not a hint of 'mushiness'.

The install was done by a buddy of Mac's in what he described as a very short amount of time. It was dark so I could not see the bling factor, if there is one. This is strictly a performance upgrade to help give more confident braking. The only downside is that it does not make the car go faster!

Slowpoke gives it a thumbs up!!

BruteForce
10-21-2004, 06:34 PM
I had mine put on too (BAER brakes tho... not OEM) and I really like 'em as well. They are the "finishing touch" I was missing from my brake upgrade. :D

FiveO
10-21-2004, 06:36 PM
Hmmmm....

Interesting :)

Thanks for the review.

SergntMac
10-21-2004, 06:49 PM
Thanks, Rick, for helping ToddTCE with a bone stock install test run, and thank you very much for letting me pilot your 300A today. Folks, this is one nice MM, and it's a lot quicker than Slowpoke lets on. There's something about driving a 300A...

Surely, I have a much different MM from Rick, and part of that is my BearClaw kit on the front. When I test drove the SS brake line kit on my MM, I felt immediate improvement, and it healed one of my pet peaves, the buildup of a hard brake pedal in bumper to bumper traffic. But, I also wondered if part of that cure was due to the Baer brakes themselves.

I'm pleased to say, it's not. Once the install was complete, I had to return Slowpoke's MM, and part of that drive ended up in bumper to bumper traffic. The brakes in his MM feel just like the brakes in my MM, firm, precise, you get the brake you ask for.

If you put these SS braided lines on your MM, no one but you is going to notice. Yeah, there is a minor bling factor, but it's underwear and only your oil change dude will know. The performance is self serving. Steady, precise "heel and toe" control of your braking power is what you want, and you're not getting that with the OEM lines.

I know they look big, beefy and strong, but most of that is external padding. Inside, they're like a garden hose that swells and deflates from changing water pressure. This constantly changing pressure results in uneven braking pressure, and at times (which pizzess me off to no end) you can pump up a hard pedal in heavy traffic. Sooner or later, you're going to end up jammming on the brake pedal to stop, and get one of those short, hard stops that sends all your stuff to the floor. I hate that.

Adding these stainless steel braided lines is like covering your garden hose in steel pipe, no more swelling from changing pressures. No bang for the buck, but that was my point in asking Todd to build these lines, I'm tired of collecting my stuff from the floor. last but not least, they can be installed by any qualified wrench in about an hour. The kits are complete, and fit the MM perfectly. OEM or Baer, ToddTCE has you covered, call him.

Thanks again, ToddTCE, and Slowpoke.

MM03MOK
10-21-2004, 07:20 PM
Mine are enroute - all the way around!! Another great mod and an important one too!!

Slowpoke
10-22-2004, 07:06 PM
yep..... took the car out again tonight and there is a definite and noticable difference! was in stop ad go traffic on Lake Shore Drive and experienced a much smoother rool to a stop than before the lines were installed.

Thanks again to ToddTCE; and also to Mac for convincing me I needed them and then actually taking my car to have them installed!

Todd TCE
10-22-2004, 07:13 PM
Glad it all worked out fine.
Now if I can only find a home for the other ten or so sets.... In due time I guess. :beer:

RF Overlord
11-02-2004, 01:10 PM
Now if I can only find a home for the other ten or so sets....

I would encourage anyone who wants improved braking control, but perhaps lacks the funds for an all-out upgrade, to do this mod. As Mac and 'poke said so well, this is a short-money mod on the order of underdrive pulleys, or the PHP intake spacer; it's not a HUGE improvement, but it's definitely there. Thanks for doing this for the club, Todd...

GordonB
11-02-2004, 09:23 PM
I am only lacking funds and time. It's getting to be almost too late in the season to get things done at my house in the garage.
However, I do need 2 sets for STOCK brakes. Ugh!!! Having 2 is worse than trying to keep up with the Jones!!!! LMAOROTF!!! Such a problem to have.
Cars to handle well, I can attest. Have to talk to the Controlling Interest (i.e., wifey)!!! And then get back to you!

GordonB

TechHeavy
11-04-2004, 05:05 PM
Glad it all worked out fine.
Now if I can only find a home for the other ten or so sets.... In due time I guess. :beer:Stay tuned! I may be in need of your service.

Tech

NickLee
11-05-2004, 09:44 AM
Just ordered a set from Todd. Thanks Todd, waiting to get and have them installed. :)

Todd TCE
11-05-2004, 10:15 AM
Just ordered a set from Todd. Thanks Todd, waiting to get and have them installed. :)

Boxed and out today. Thanks.

NickLee
11-22-2004, 11:54 AM
Hey Todd, got my SS lines and installed them myself. Oh WOW I can tell the different, great pedal feel, no travel and it seems like the car stops much better, faster! Again thanks worth every penny. :)

Todd TCE
11-22-2004, 06:46 PM
Thanks, glad it worked out fine for you. And SOLO too!

"We don need no stinkin wrench turners!" It's all pretty simple.

Enjoy!

Todd TCE
11-28-2004, 07:47 AM
Still have a couple sets of these hoses left guys.
Not sure if we'll make any more kits after these are gone. Don't miss out!
Do some holiday shopping for your MM!!! Don't leave her in the cold garage with nothing this Christmas...