PDA

View Full Version : UD Pulleys installed!!

fastblackmerc
10-21-2004, 05:38 PM
Installed my Steeda UD pulleys today, took about 2 hrs.... removed the fan... loosened the stock water pump pulley... used impact wrench to remove the stock harmonic balancer bolt.... jacked up the front of the car to remove the transmision / bell housing inspection cover.... put a 14mm box-end wrench on one of the torque converter nuts.... used a puller to remove the harmonic balancer.... put a drop of silicone sealer on the key way of the new balancer (per the instructions)... oiled the balancer seal surface... used the longer bolt to install the balancer... used some red Locktite on the new balancer bolt... torqued it to 66 ftlb, backed off 1 turn... torqued to 37 ftlb.... tightened 90 degrees... put the water pump pulley on with red Locktite on the 4 bolts.... torqued them to spec... put the belt back on... installed the fan... test drive :banana: ....

SOP (Seat Of the Pants): engine revs quicker... was able to get a good chirp out to the rear tires from a standing start... engine feels quicker to rev at 3000 - 5000 RPM.... feels like there are 8 -10 more ponies under the hood!!! Well worth the $'s paid & 2 hrs of labor.... Would highly recommend this mod.... now to get a set of UD's for my '97 V6 3.8L T-Bird...

:burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout:

BTW I have a Steeda UD alternator pulley if anyone is interested...

Smokie
10-21-2004, 05:54 PM
... used the longer bolt to install the balancer... used some red Locktite on the new balancer bolt...When you say new balancer bolt, you don't mean the one that came with the pulleys...I hope.

Paul T. Casey
10-21-2004, 06:06 PM
Way to go!!! I'm always impressed with the folks who do the mods themselves. The u/d's are a good one. While it doesn't increase the flywheel hp, it does frre up more to the wheels, the place where it counts on the pants seat. The next step, if you so desire, IMHO would be to get a "tune." I send my pcm out for a reflash, but you could do it with a handheld unit, or have it done for you. While you're at it, you may want to consider upping the idle speed a little to compensate for the slight loss of charging volts under heavy low rpm load. This decrease in charging volts doesn't worry me, but some of the folks here decided it was best to do. At any rate, you've definately increased the smile factor of your ride with this mod. :up:

fastblackmerc
10-21-2004, 08:41 PM
Way to go!!! I'm always impressed with the folks who do the mods themselves. The u/d's are a good one. While it doesn't increase the flywheel hp, it does frre up more to the wheels, the place where it counts on the pants seat. The next step, if you so desire, IMHO would be to get a "tune." I send my pcm out for a reflash, but you could do it with a handheld unit, or have it done for you. While you're at it, you may want to consider upping the idle speed a little to compensate for the slight loss of charging volts under heavy low rpm load. This decrease in charging volts doesn't worry me, but some of the folks here decided it was best to do. At any rate, you've definately increased the smile factor of your ride with this mod. :up:

I ordered the SCT9100 from Reinhart when I ordered the UD's. Can't wait to get it. I know you can update the PCM with it, but is there a program that you can use to tweek your own settings?

fastblackmerc
10-21-2004, 08:45 PM
When you say new balancer bolt, you don't mean the one that came with the pulleys...I hope.

UD's came with 2 bolts, a "longer" one to start installing the new balancer with and a factory one (at least it looked factory, same size, same markings on the head & same "missing" threads on the end) that you use to finish installing the balancer. Instructions were very specific "DON'T USE THE LONGER BOLT OR YOU WILL CAUSE DAMAGE".

fastblackmerc
10-21-2004, 08:50 PM
Way to go!!! I'm always impressed with the folks who do the mods themselves. :up:

I plan on doing most of the mods myself. I was a Lincoln Mercury / Ford mechanic for 10 years, starting the day after I graduated high school. I'll even install the ProCharger SC myself once it's available. The only things I don't like to do are body work / paint and rear ends.....

On cars that is :D :D :D :D :D :D

Marauderman
10-22-2004, 08:41 AM
Installed my Steeda UD pulleys today, took about 2 hrs.... removed the fan... loosened the stock water pump pulley... used impact wrench to remove the stock harmonic balancer bolt.... jacked up the front of the car to remove the transmision / bell housing inspection cover.... put a 14mm box-end wrench on one of the torque converter nuts.... used a puller to remove the harmonic balancer.... put a drop of silicone sealer on the key way of the new balancer (per the instructions)... oiled the balancer seal surface... used the longer bolt to install the balancer... used some red Locktite on the new balancer bolt... torqued it to 66 ftlb, backed off 1 turn... torqued to 37 ftlb.... tightened 90 degrees... put the water pump pulley on with red Locktite on the 4 bolts.... torqued them to spec... put the belt back on... installed the fan... test drive :banana: ....

SOP (Seat Of the Pants): engine revs quicker... was able to get a good chirp out to the rear tires from a standing start... engine feels quicker to rev at 3000 - 5000 RPM.... feels like there are 8 -10 more ponies under the hood!!! Well worth the $'s paid & 2 hrs of labor.... Would highly recommend this mod.... now to get a set of UD's for my '97 V6 3.8L T-Bird...

:burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout:

BTW I have a Steeda UD alternator pulley if anyone is interested...
Way to go Jim!!! Hey--that UD for your T-Bird sounds great--Now that has me thinking same for wifes '97 T-Bird V-8...uh,,where you getting it from--maybe they have one for a V-8---hummm...then all I need is a mechanic friend to install it...hummmm.........Congrats again--keep me posted when in town....Tom..

Svashtar
12-10-2004, 01:04 PM
I am doing mine today, and the mechanic who has done several of these for Mustangs want's to know why not install the alternator pulley? He says that of all 3 pulleys this would give the most bang for the buck.

If it causes a system charging problem, then couldn't Dennis provide a program to raise the idle RPM a bit to offset the charge loss?

Any info (ASAP) would be great appreciated!

Thanks,

Norm

cyclone03
12-10-2004, 01:21 PM
The early 2003's had a "clutch" in the alternator pulley so it ould'n't work.

Marauderman
12-29-2004, 07:58 PM
I am doing mine today, and the mechanic who has done several of these for Mustangs want's to know why not install the alternator pulley? He says that of all 3 pulleys this would give the most bang for the buck.

If it causes a system charging problem, then couldn't Dennis provide a program to raise the idle RPM a bit to offset the charge loss?

Any info (ASAP) would be great appreciated!

Thanks,

Norm
sorry for late response--but with the U/D's, you need to raise the RPM's about 200 rpms to offset the diff as a result of the pully size for the alternator......