PDA

View Full Version : Oil change: that pesky filter

Fourth Horseman
08-11-2002, 02:58 PM
On new engines I like to do my first two oil changes at half the normal interval. As my Marauder just turned over 1500 miles, I changed my oil today.

I noticed that the oil filter is a bit of a bummer to get out. Power steering lines are right in the way. I was considering removing the air intake tube from just aft of the mass air flow sensor to where it links up with the throttle body up top. It doesn't look like this would be too difficult to get out and might let me access the filter from above rather than from below.

It's not that the filter is super hard to get out from below, but I can only turn my filter wrench about 1/16 of a turn at a time.

Anybody else tried taking it out from the top?

KazMan
08-11-2002, 04:50 PM
Hi! I did mine last week........from under the car .........I tried to be as careful as I could,but I still made a little mess.A clamp from the power steering (or something)caught the filter on the way out.

Place a bunch of shop rags over steering rack and have a can of brake cleaner handy.

Fourth Horseman
08-11-2002, 05:28 PM
Hehe, yeah, me too. I made a bit of a mess, but nothing even close to as bad as it was on my '97 T-Bird V8.

I actually adjusted that clamp you're speaking of. I opened it up a bit and rotated it around about 90 degrees so that it was out of my way. Seemed to help quite a bit.