PDA

View Full Version : Installing the Reinhart chip?

Strider74
01-25-2003, 07:38 PM
Hey everyone, well I finally broke down and ordered the chip, plugs thermostat and 4.10 gears from Reinhart this morning. Does anyone know if it makes a difference what order their installed in. I plan to do everything all with in a couple of days but does the chip need to be installed first, last or does it not matter at all? thanks.
:D

Mikeenh
01-25-2003, 07:54 PM
Strider74,
The chip is quick,easy and makes the biggest difference. Did you have the chip programed for the 4:10 gears so your speedo is correct?

Murader03
01-26-2003, 05:55 AM
Strider,

Don't know which chip you bought, but I got the more expensive one so that I could switch it off during Ford service. When in the off postion, the PCM reverts back to the original program and the speed will be off by 8-10 MPH. So, if you got the one program chip, no switch, then without the gears installed, your speedo will be off. I would suggest you get the gears installed first, then put the chip in, that way you stand less chance of running afoul of the local spped enforcement......

martyo
01-26-2003, 06:56 AM
Hey Maruader 'o3:

How did you set up your XM Radio? Details, please.....

RF Overlord
01-26-2003, 08:08 AM
Strider:

According to Dennis, the only rule is: don't put in the plugs and 'stat without the chip, but you can put in the chip without the plugs and 'stat; you just won't get the full benefit until you do. I had to do mine over 2 weekends due to weather, so I put the chip in first, then the plugs; there was no problem.

The gears, like Murader03 said, can be done anytime as long as you're aware of the speedo issue.

Murader03
01-26-2003, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by stanleyk
Hey Maruader 'o3:

How did you set up your XM Radio? Details, please..... ]

Stanley....Don't really know what your looking for here. There are two types of install available. I took the Pioneer model with a glass mount antenna. I have a small control unit mounted to the trim panel on the right of the steering wheel. It works through the installed FM radio via an FM converter. It was a pretty straight forward install and was included in my price. I might go back and see if there is another antenna type available as there is some wind noise from the installed unit at speed. What I can't understand is that the noise is not always present. It's almost as though the prevailing wind direction has something to do with it regardless of the direction I'm traveling.

Long Live #3
01-26-2003, 10:02 AM
Gotta love that white lettering.

martyo
01-26-2003, 10:35 AM
'03. You gave me what I was looking for. It apprears that you did this without touching the stock radio. I should have had the dealer do it that way. Oh well, this will ad more playtime in the garage....

Thanks for the response.

MassMarauder
01-31-2003, 05:53 PM
Ordered my Rienhart pkg today. :banana2:
Gonna put the chip, stat and plugs in imediately.....then maybe another month and the gears will be in. :banana2:
Dennis now has the Denso plugs available....so I bought them.

Menace
01-31-2003, 06:06 PM
MassMarauder, who is doing your gears ?

MassMarauder
02-01-2003, 05:43 PM
Menace - Not sure. I'm going to check with Rodman, then Tasca. If they are to high then I might go to a local speed shop (MPE Racing).

CRUZTAKER
02-08-2003, 12:16 PM
MY MARAUDER IS ONLY TWO WEEKS OLD AND I HAVE LEARNED THAT IT IS GOVERNED TO 117 MPH. IS THE CHIP THE ONLY WAY TO BREAK THAT BARRIER AND REACH THE THEORETICAL SPEED. IF SO, CAN A LAMEN LIKE ME DO A CHIP UPGRADE WITHOUT A BUNCH OF OTHER EXPENSIVE UPGRADES THAT NO ONE IN MY AREA WILL DO?

CHIP UPGRADE ONLY>IS IT WORTH IT>WHICH TO GET>HOW TO GET>CAN I DO IT?

RF Overlord
02-08-2003, 01:40 PM
cruztaker:

1. Yes, the chip will remove the rev-limiter, but you want to be very careful here. The rev-limiter is there because with the 3.55 gears, the stock driveshaft experiences resonance above this speed and will quickly destroy the bushing in the tailshaft. If you plan on driving at or beyond the 117 MPH limit, you'll need to replace the driveshaft.

2. The chip is MOST DEFINITELY worth doing for all the other reasons...improved throttle response, more power, better shifts...

3. Yes, you can do it yourself...takes about ½ to ¾ hour.

4. www.reinhartautomotive.com ...have the ECM catch-code ready...it's on a bar-code sticker on the A-pillar by the driver's door upper hinge...3 letters and a number...Dennis will tell you everything you need to know...he has the driveshafts, too...

bugsys03
02-08-2003, 01:45 PM
my svt dealer wont even think about changing my chip because it changes emission settings and says if i do it it will void the warranty.

FordNut
02-08-2003, 02:22 PM
Bugsy:
Try another dealer. The one I had always used up 'til now had the same comments so I checked around and found another one that is mod-friendly.

CRUZTAKER
02-08-2003, 09:15 PM
RF Overlord:
Thank you for your input. And thank you for not picking on me for using all caps in my message. I was in a hurry and didn't notice....why type over. One of the other senior members jumped my case earlier.

Cruztaker

Mike M
02-08-2003, 10:00 PM
With the chip the emissions still pass NJ standards. I own a dyno emission machine and checked it after I installed the chip.

FordNut
02-08-2003, 10:46 PM
Great news Mike. This issue came up in another post awhile back, it's good to have an answer.

RF Overlord
02-09-2003, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by Mike Mielnicki
With the chip the emissions still pass NJ standards.

Mike: do you know if the NJ standards are more or less strict than Massachusetts?...if they're less strict, by how much did your chip pass?

CRUZTAKER
02-15-2003, 06:12 AM
Originally posted by RF Overlord
Strider:

According to Dennis, the only rule is: don't put in the plugs and 'stat without the chip, but you can put in the chip without the plugs and 'stat.....

RFO: Dennis did not mention this scenario. I am gonna do the chip, plugs, and stat. BUT, I will occationally bypass (remove or switch) the chip off. He did not mention anything. What will happen? I certainly can't pull plugs and what not every time I go to the dealer.

RE: My other "Chippped Out"

I am still looking for a drive shaft (new) from a Police Crown Vic.
Can't find a part number

Murader03
02-15-2003, 07:35 AM
Cruz: If you got the chip with the switch, just turn it off. The dealer shouldn't even notice it. The only difference would be in the speedometer reverting back to the 3.55 calibration. Otherwise, unless he looks under the dash, they will never know it's there. I don't know why you'd want to otherwise bypass the chip!

CRUZTAKER
02-15-2003, 07:48 AM
That would be the only reason.

Thanks.
Sarge answered it really well in my post "Chipped Out..."

I won't know about E-Check emission tests until 2005. Every two years in Ohio. Real strick. Usually as long as the catalytic is good, no problems. I used to modify Wenkle Rotorys and they just barely passed. They were by far the worse exhaust blowers.

In Ohio, they test on a dyno, you never know who you are going to get. Sometimes a kid, some times an old lady. They actually wrecked a car of mine many years back. I think I will pull the chip that test......

SergntMac
02-15-2003, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by CRUZTAKER
I won't know about E-Check emission tests until 2005. Every two years in Ohio. Real strick. Usually as long as the catalytic is good, no problems. I used to modify Wenkle Rotorys and they just barely passed. They were by far the worse exhaust blowers. In Ohio, they test on a dyno, you never know who you are going to get. Sometimes a kid, some times an old lady. They actually wrecked a car of mine many years back. I think I will pull the chip that test......

Cruz, I'm not an emissions guy, I don't know stats from state to state, however, the Reinhart setup is a much cleaner burn, I'd expect the chip, stat and plugs to work together in producing better than expected emissions numbers. Pulling the chip and not the plugs and stat may throw it all off. Just leave it all in, see what happens. At worst, you get another try after "repairs" are completed, yes?

Can you volunteer for a test before called? Maybe that's something to think about?

Mad1
02-15-2003, 10:18 AM
In Tennessee, they just switched from measuring the exhaust to a pressure test on the "gas cap" and plugging into the diagnostic port under the dash.

I had to get the test done when I licensed by 'rauder, but they didn't even have it listed in their computer yet. (Passed, but listed it as Grand Marquis.)

Speaking of listing... That's probably been one of my biggest problems.
Marauder wasn't listed on insurance charts, so I got initial estimates all over the map. (Then $$ really jumped when they found out it was a high-performance car.)
:flamer:

Eventually landed at about $725 for six months. (I'm renewing in March and the price dropped to $625.):coolman:

SergntMac
02-15-2003, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Mad1
In Tennessee, they just switched from measuring the exhaust to a pressure test on the "gas cap" and plugging into the diagnostic port under the dash. I had to get the test done when I licensed by 'rauder, but they didn't even have it listed in their computer yet. (Passed, but listed it as Grand Marquis.)

Hmmmm...Now, this is interesting, where they are plugging in. Is this the same port we use for the Reinhart chip? If so, it won't be possible to run both chip and test at the same time. Something to look into all...

FordNut
02-15-2003, 01:02 PM
I think they're using the diagnostic port. The connector for the chip is normally covered by a metal plate and coating on the connector pins. so they wouldn't be using the same connector.

I'm not sure what the test method is in other parts of TN. In my area there are no emissions tests (yet).

CRUZTAKER
02-15-2003, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by SergntMac
Can you volunteer for a test before called? Maybe that's something to think about?

The test is $19.99 IF you pass. Free if you don't. Re-tests (assuming you already passed) are $4.00. I'll leave it in but request a profesional driver. I do it with my Fiat Spider, won't trust a kid who's been driving for 3 years or less. That's how the Cutlass was wrecked, he left it in drive on the dyno and stepped away from the car. I watched in horror from the waiting room as my (un-manned) pristine cutlass went rolling out of the building, across the street and into a ravine. Thank god for 3 inch sapplings....

Hey all.....read my latest post in the "MACGAURD WHEEL LOCKS THREAD". I need input.