PDA

View Full Version : FR500 Mufflers, do they fit?

tmac1337
10-24-2004, 04:36 PM
Does anyone know for sure if the FR500 Dual Mode Mufflers fit our car. I have the Magnaflow 2.5" in/out and they are too loud for me.

If the FR500's are not an option, does anybody know of a performance muffler for our car that is quieter than the Magnaflows without going to a plain stock muffler?

The FR500's sound perfect if they will fit.

RoyLPita
10-24-2004, 04:41 PM
Call up a muffler shop to see what the meaurement are. Also, see if the new mufflers can be had with the correct inlet/outlet setup. Mustangs usually used the offset inlet/outlet then the MMs center inlet/ offset outlet.

Jus my .02 and then some.

johnjamis
10-24-2004, 05:20 PM
Does anyone know for sure if the FR500 Dual Mode Mufflers fit our car. I have the Magnaflow 2.5" in/out and they are too loud for me.

If the FR500's are not an option, does anybody know of a performance muffler for our car that is quieter than the Magnaflows without going to a plain stock muffler?

The FR500's sound perfect if they will fit.

I replaced the exhaust extensions with magnaflow magnapack bullet mufflers (14494). These are straight thru mufflers and they lowered the sound level of the magnaflow just enough to make this system OK for a family car. You must also add an extension to the back of these mufflers.

BillyGman
10-25-2004, 11:03 PM
Tmac, Magnaflow also makes a triple baffled muffler that is also free flowing, but because it has baffles, it must be quieter than their "wide-open" mufflers that you have now. Go on the Magnaflow website and look-up their "XL-Mufflers" because they are the ones I'm speaking of. Below is a link to their site where those are located. You'll want the 4"x9" oval muffs part #13256. I hope this helps......

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/xl/xlchamber.htm

pacammer
10-26-2004, 01:40 PM
I have the 18" Borlas, they are a little quiter than the Magnaflows. For an even quiter sound the 22" Borlas also fit. Both are 2.5" inlet and outlet / center and offset ends.

Gary

tmac1337
10-26-2004, 02:32 PM
Thanks for the info guys. BillyG, I've ordered the ford dual mode mufflers to try them out, the first one to attempt it I believe. I have my fingers crossed. They are supposed to be quiet and baffled during normal driving and then switch to straight through at WOT.

Glenn
10-26-2004, 07:36 PM
I have the Cobra shorty headers and Cobra X-pipe and hi-flow cats connected to the stock muffler and stock extensions. I am very pleased with no cabin drone. But, the exhaust is very apparent between 20-45 mph. Just another option for people.

Glenn

BillyGman
10-26-2004, 08:07 PM
Thanks for the info guys. BillyG, I've ordered the ford dual mode mufflers to try them out, the first one to attempt it I believe. I have my fingers crossed. They are supposed to be quiet and baffled during normal driving and then switch to straight through at WOT.
Yeah tmac, I didn't realize that you had another thread about this floating around until after I posted that. I hope those muffs work out for you.

tmac1337
10-26-2004, 08:17 PM
BillyG, I will be sure to let you and everyone else know how the dual modes sound, good or bad. Thanks for idea about the XL maganflows however. The problem is that there are too many options. Regular Turbo Mufflers sound like they might do what I am looking (hearing) for, but to my knowledge noone has tried them. I'll keep my fingers crossed on the ones I ordered, if they are not worth it, at least I'll let everyone else know to try something else.