PDA

View Full Version : Ordered Ford Dual Mode Mufflers

tmac1337
10-25-2004, 02:06 PM
I just ordered Ford Dual Mode Mufflers, Part #m-5230-bp2. Most places require you to order in person and pre-pay instead of by phone as they are a special order part. I was able to order them via telephone with assistance from Dennis Reinhart with a 3 way phone call to a local ford dealership in Dennis's area, shipped from that dealer to my doorstep. Thanks again Dennis.

The idea behind the muffler is that under normal driving, lower RPM's the exhaust will be channeled through baffles, when you stomp on it and the RPM's get to around 2800 a channel will open allowing exhaust to pass straight through.

I do not know of anyone else using these so I will be the guinea pig. The mufflers are 2.5" offset on the same side. I showed a local muffler shop a picture of them, installation will require a little bending behind the muffler to the 2.25 pipe. No problem. I currently have Reinhart's 2.5" exhaust system back to Magnaflows. The drone noise at low RPM's is driving me crazy, so time to experiment.

I will have 2 18", 2.5", Magnaflows stainless for sale real cheap with less than 2K miles on them for anyone wanting them in FL when they are removed.

Let everyone know what they sound like after the install.

SergntMac
10-25-2004, 04:27 PM
Bravo, Tim, hope you find the sound you're seeking. Keep us posted?

(gotta love this guy, great last name...)

Amsoil_Dealer
10-26-2004, 06:15 AM
I will have 2 18", 2.5", Magnaflows stainless for sale real cheap with less than 2K miles on them for anyone wanting them in FL when they are removed.

I am interetsed in these. I have a 2002 CV LX sport with stock exhaust. The 4 cats and tailpipe resonators ought to take enough of the sound out with the Magnaflows. I'd love to hear your car before, and after you do the change.

Are you going to have Dennis do the install?

Don

Smokie
10-26-2004, 06:52 AM
I can understand how, if you do a lot of city stop and go traffic the low speed drone could get on your nerves, my wife does the city driving in the MM. (she loves the sound of the Magnaflows) I do the highway driving, so they sound good to me, if they ever get on my nerves, I think I'll try insulation first....cause losing performance...is tough to go backwards.:)

valkyrie
10-26-2004, 07:31 AM
I can understand how, if you do a lot of city stop and go traffic the low speed drone could get on your nerves, my wife does the city driving in the MM. (she loves the sound of the Magnaflows) I do the highway driving, so they sound good to me, if they ever get on my nerves, I think I'll try insulation first....cause losing performance...is tough to go backwards.:)

I have the full Kooks exhaust with the MagnaFlows. I will be looking into some insulation. I am trying to find some "Roadkill". I heard it was cheaper than DynoMat.

Smokie
10-26-2004, 09:29 AM
I have the full Kooks exhaust with the MagnaFlows. I will be looking into some insulation. I am trying to find some "Roadkill". I heard it was cheaper than DynoMat.I had the opportunity to hear in person the Kooks in Atlanta and they sound magnificent, they are louder than my shorty's and I believe a combination of insulation plus extending the tips...just past the rear bumper cover would make them ...perfect. :D

tmac1337
10-26-2004, 03:02 PM
Smokie, the area I live in S. Florida is extremely stop and go for city driving. I was getting a lot of drone noise at very low RPMs, at any step of the pedal. WOT sounded very good. Cruising at highways speeds over 83 MPH created an extremely annoying drone noise. I'm tired of it, hence the dual mode mufflers. Hopefully they will be what I'm looking for, quiet, and loud at WOT. As far as performance and losing horsies, MM&FF testing revealed that these mufflers do produce some horsies also. How much attached to Reinharts exhaust system on the MM is unknown. I plan to S/C within the next few mos. so losing horsies on the mufflers is not very important to me anyway. As far as the insulation goes, I already did that myself. A lot of time and work with very little results compared to the loud drone noise. I can't say what everyone elses car sounds like, but the drone from the Mags makes my car sound like a foreign crap box, enough of that. A lot of people like the sound evidently, I am not one of them.

The dual mode mufflers are said to sound like Turbo Mufflers, a deep throaty tone on acceleration, quieter at normal and cruising speeds.

I have already promised the Magnaflows I am removing to another member.

Cobra25
10-29-2004, 03:50 PM
The mufflers sound like a good idea to me Tim.

Smokie
10-31-2004, 04:28 PM
Smokie, the area I live in S. Florida is extremely stop and go for city driving. I was getting a lot of drone noise at very low RPMs, at any step of the pedal
I hear you, it has to sound right to you. Sometimes it's very difficult to find the right balance between a strong sound and a bothersome drone. I hope your new mufflers provide you with the balance you are looking for....let us know.:D

Glenn
10-31-2004, 06:55 PM
I would have had the Kook's exhaust system installed on my MM, but I could not get Kook's to sell me the system without the Magaflows which I believe are great mufflers and look beautiful. But, I do not believe they add that much HP over the OEM mufflers and do add noise. Maybe 2-3 HP on a N/A MM, more on a S/Cer.

The real issue was the exhaust noise which is great for most owners, but not for my 100 miles per day. I am very pleased with my Cobra shortly headers and Cobra X-pipe with hi-flow cats connected to the STOCK mufflers and OEM tail pipes and tips. I have NO cabin drone at 70-80 mph unless I have the radio off and listen intently. If I WOT it - yes I will hear it, but not loud. The exhaust sounds great when I rev the engine in park. The only noticeable increase in sound is at 20-45 mph, but again not loud. One strange thing I do notice with the radio off and listenly carefully is a quite and subdued "backing-down" of the exhaust noise.

I personally asked Steve Babcock, MM Project Manager, about the mufflers and he said a great deal of engineering went into the mufflers and they are good mufflers for power and the final MM sound level.

My dyno HP before the E/S install was 266 and 281 HP after for a 15 hp gain. This is just another alternative for MM's owners concerning exhaust noise and adding power. We all have different tastes and likes and this board is great to read all the posts, gather all the information and then decide what you want.

Glenn