PDA

View Full Version : Thank You Kook's and MM.net

Ken
10-28-2004, 11:06 AM
Finally got my Grand Prize Exhaust installed. Sounds sweet. :2thumbs: The highly recommended shop closed its doors so I had to locate someone else, and then wait for him to get into his new shop. But it was worth the wait. He said that he was impressed by how well they fit. Now to see how much improvement at the strip. Ran 14.611 at Norwalk on October 11, with just a DR stage 1. :burnout:

Ken

Bradley G
10-28-2004, 12:53 PM
Nice job Ken congradulations!!the krooks are going to be worth 2-3 tenths:confused: off your ET.

FiveO
10-28-2004, 02:43 PM
I took .47 off my 1/4 times going from stock to Kooks....

Good luck....you'll be impressed!

CRUZTAKER
10-28-2004, 03:39 PM
Eww...I can't wait to see/hear them.

I know you're itching to go to the '42' and I have pretty much hung up my saddle for the year.

Maybe...but unlikely...I could meet you tuesday down there. Season is pretty much over for me, and the family life is really hectic as of late.

BillyGman
10-29-2004, 01:14 AM
I took .47 off my 1/4 times going from stock to Kooks....

Good luck....you'll be impressed!
Yep, the Kooks exhaust reduced my ET's by .55 seconds. And that was before the S/Cer. But besides that, the car sounds great w/the Kooks system, and I've had so many people who I don't even know pull up along side me and tell me that.

Dan
11-21-2004, 08:54 AM
Ditto. I get people commenting on the sound routinely.

Dan

Ken
11-22-2004, 01:23 PM
Yep, the Kooks exhaust reduced my ET's by .55 seconds.
I dropped from 14.611 to 14.051, may have done better, but could only get in two runs in the three hours at Milan dragway last weekend. That was also before the Red Tailed hawk modification to the grille, that should be worth at least .052 sec. with less wind resistance.:lol:
Ken

Eric91Z
11-24-2004, 04:49 PM
Ken or anyone else that has the Kooks exhaust,

What is the sound like inside the car at highway speed? Just wondering if there is much of a drone at all? Does it get bothersome after long drives or is it still relatively quiet on the highway in OD?

Ken
11-24-2004, 09:01 PM
Drone is not bad, especially if you're listening to the stereo. I expected much worse. Just make sure to have tips end about two inches past back bumper. At least, that is what I have been told. If you are looking for Town Car quiet, then you will be disappointed. But I find myself putting my foot into it more, to make more noise.:run:

Ken

Eric91Z
11-24-2004, 09:28 PM
No, there is no way I would be expecting Town Car quiet. If that is what I really wanted, I would go that route. And I do enjoy hearing the sound of the exhaust when I want it, but I still would want to be able to cruise for my daily drive or on a road trip with the family and be able to hold a conversation without yelling and hear the radio without cranking it.

Dan
11-25-2004, 04:51 AM
You can definitely hold a conversation without yelling however you will always be aware that you have the kit installed.

There are times when I wish that they were a bit quieter but there are times when I just love the sound so I guess it balances out.

I would suggest that you try to find a Marauder in your area with them. I did. I rode in Billy G's car prior to getting my Kooks.

Dan

Eric91Z
11-25-2004, 06:56 AM
Yes, I will definitely need to find someone here in the Midwest that I can catch a ride with once winter is over. Definitely want to hear what they sound like.

CRUZTAKER
11-25-2004, 08:15 AM
I will also add that at times, and certain highway speeds once the t/c is locked, the cabin noise is not much different that a mere meg's tip replacement. The drone as you call it only becomes apparent during low speed driving, and a mere throttle adjustment can fix that.

The new sound is noticable, but VERY livable if the original exhaust note appealed to you.

YOUR personal driving habit will always measure how the car sounds at any given speed. I assure you that you will like not only the new sound, but the new power and torque gained from the new breath of air expell the MM now has.

Ken
11-29-2004, 10:52 AM
Eric,

The other night, I was cruising along on the highway doing about 80, and I noticed that my wife and I were able to carry on a conversation with the radio on about halfway, and the exhaust sound (drone) was there but by no means loud or annoying. I guess that I would have to say that I am very happy with the sound. Sounds great under Acceleration. Your results may be louder with 4.10 gears.

Ken

Eric91Z
11-29-2004, 01:11 PM
I don't mind exhaust noise at all, but droning is a concern. Both my '93 and '91 Z28's had the Borla adjustable exhaust on them and I did plenty of road trips with that in the middle or bigger holes without a problem. But my buddy's Mustang with Flowmasters had bad resonance/drone around 2000-2200rpm that would give you a headache.

I did like the sound of the stock Marauder, but thought it could use a little more to it. If you can hold a conversation, hear the radio, but still enjoy the exhaust sound without getting a headache from it, then I think I would be happy with that. I still would want to grab a ride with someone running that exhaust to experience it first hand.

And I am all about adjusting sound with the right foot. And I don't mind loud when I get on it and don't mind some noise at in-town speeds. My biggest concern is the sound at highway cruise speeds since that is where I would be spending a lot of time.