PDA

View Full Version : Snow Tires and Rims

Digital Man
10-31-2004, 10:28 AM
Hi all,

I've read several posts regarding snows and tire sizes. I wanted to post here in case any Canadian MM owners know of a good tire and wheel package for the MM. If not, any recommendations? Also, I am trying to find Police Cruiser rims (in Southern Ontario) used or new. If anyone has some helpful information it would be appreciated. Thanks.

Oh....also, I am a little concerned with the Salt and Sand corroding the aluminum engine and components. Am I at any more risk here then any other vehicle?

MMM2003
10-31-2004, 12:10 PM
Hey. There was some interest last year. Don't know if anyone every got one of these. But if you go here (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=6411&page=2&pp=15&highlight=canada+tire+package) you'll have good starting point. Call the people listed and see what they can do this year. I know that brands and models have changed. The tire size listed should still be valid.

Good luck.

Hi all,

I've read several posts regarding snows and tire sizes. I wanted to post here in case any Canadian MM owners know of a good tire and wheel package for the MM. If not, any recommendations? Also, I am trying to find Police Cruiser rims (in Southern Ontario) used or new. If anyone has some helpful information it would be appreciated. Thanks.

Oh....also, I am a little concerned with the Salt and Sand corroding the aluminum engine and components. Am I at any more risk here then any other vehicle?

BillyGman
10-31-2004, 01:00 PM
The Arctic Alpines are great in the snow, and since they never came in an 18" size, then those of us who wanted snow tires on our Marauders were forced to go w/the 16" ones. But since the Arctic Alpines are being phased out of production by Michelin, then they're now tough to find, and if I had to buy four more snows for my Marauder, my choice this year would definately be the Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50 tires in the P235/55/18" size for all four corners. And that size is the same tire height as our factory stock tires in the back are. Many people on this board have used the same size and circumfrence on all four corners of their Marauders w/out any problems.

snowbird
10-31-2004, 02:08 PM
Hi all,

Oh....also, I am a little concerned with the Salt and Sand corroding the aluminum engine and components. Am I at any more risk here then any other vehicle?____
BEfore i had this Marauder, i had 5 mustang for which i throw the towell of attempting to use 17" or 18" winter tires because they are just too wide to really grip (and the mustang weight less). As you already know, you can oder police interceptor steel rims 16x7" that are offset 1 " and will do the job well and give a nice robust look (like the F150 of the seventys !!!). They are very strongly built (twin center stamped very thick steel) so you can jump the curbs like the cops do. I had put 235-70-16" tires on them (4 corners) which make the tread about 2 a quarter ,two and a half inch less wide. They really dig.

The disadvantage ?: You cannot eventually use bigger aftermarket brakes and the handling goes down a bit in the curves, more like a marquis or a regular Crown vic. I don't mind since, in the winter, you have to slow down anyway . Also, at least on mine, my combination (same size on 4 corners and slightly bigger diameter) really upset the traction control logic so i have to put the switch at off if you want to go at speed higher than about 40-50 mph. For the later, in the snow, i don't mind again since the ford calibration on the various car i'd try is simply not performing: it just cut the fuel or put on the brake about all the time. Better stay home and wait for april than use it.

Digital Man
10-31-2004, 04:27 PM
____
BEfore i had this Marauder, i had 5 mustang for which i throw the towell of attempting to use 17" or 18" winter tires because they are just too wide to really grip (and the mustang weight less). As you already know, you can oder police interceptor steel rims 16x7" that are offset 1 " and will do the job well and give a nice robust look (like the F150 of the seventys !!!). They are very strongly built (twin center stamped very thick steel) so you can jump the curbs like the cops do. I had put 235-70-16" tires on them (4 corners) which make the tread about 2 a quarter ,two and a half inch less wide. They really dig.

The disadvantage ?: You cannot eventually use bigger aftermarket brakes and the handling goes down a bit in the curves, more like a marquis or a regular Crown vic. I don't mind since, in the winter, you have to slow down anyway . Also, at least on mine, my combination (same size on 4 corners and slightly bigger diameter) really upset the traction control logic so i have to put the switch at off if you want to go at speed higher than about 40-50 mph. For the later, in the snow, i don't mind again since the ford calibration on the various car i'd try is simply not performing: it just cut the fuel or put on the brake about all the time. Better stay home and wait for april than use it.
I didn't know you coulld order the Interceptor RIMs. How and where?

MMM2003
10-31-2004, 05:35 PM
I didn't know you coulld order the Interceptor RIMs. How and where?

2003 Interceptor rims (for winter tire package) (215/65-16s {front} and 225/70-16s {rear} recommended to maintain an accurate speedometer) 3W7Z-1007-CA

This is from the FAQ section. Good luck.

Digital Man
11-01-2004, 02:22 PM
I just want to verify that these have the wheel caps and all. The Ford girl said that they were just Steel rims. Anyone have a pic of this part number?

Thanks.

MMM2003
11-01-2004, 02:25 PM
The part number is for steel rims only. There are a variety of hubcaps and centercaps available, sold separately.

Look here for some options:
http://hubcaphaven.com/police.htm

I just want to verify that these have the wheel caps and all. The Ford girl said that they were just Steel rims. Anyone have a pic of this part number?

Thanks.

Digital Man
11-01-2004, 02:31 PM
OK Thanks....know of anywhere in Canada that sells those?

CRUZTAKER
11-01-2004, 02:58 PM
The PI centercaps are expensive, and tend to fall off occationally. But if this is the look you are driving for, go for it.

Otherwise a set of 16" steelies are easily purchased through the tire rack or any wheel store.
Any of the Ford Mercury rims fit and you may use a vast selection of quality snow only tires.

I personally used Kelly Wintermark studded tires on the rear and Alpines on the front. The Kelly's are cheap, and have a far more aggressive tread than the Alpines....they are NOT recommended for front applications.

MENINBLK
11-02-2004, 02:32 PM
As you already know, you can order police interceptor steel rims 16x7" that are offset 1 " and will do the job well...

Isn't our offset more than 1" ?
I thought it was more like 47mm or 1.85".

Remember in 2003 the chassis and suspension was updated
and the wheels were changed due to the updates.

Digital Man
11-02-2004, 06:30 PM
What does that mean? Do I have to use Crown Vic rims 2003 or newer?

What do some of you other guys have?

QWK SVT
11-02-2004, 06:47 PM
OK Thanks....know of anywhere in Canada that sells those?
Digital Man, I am also looking for a package, for my Marauder. I plan to get the black steelies (and like the "cop-look" center caps, too), and was planning to go with the same sizes MMM2003 recommended - 215/65-16 and 225/70-16.

So, here's a couple of thoughts:

I have previously order wheels/tires from http://www.tiretrends.com. They are located in BC, so for out of province shipments, you save on the GST. DOn't know if they do the steel wheel, though. Their car selector doesn't have the Marauder :mad:

Steelcase Tires and Mags (located in Markham, near Woodbine/Steeles) is highly regarded. I haven't bought from them, but know a bunch of people that have, and have talked to them, at length, to discuss rubber options, for my truck. Was impressed that he advised NOT to buy now, and wait until spring, rather than have brand new tires sitting in the garage, and potentially grow flat spots.

Finallly, friends of the family own a garage. It's been a few months since I've seen them, though. They may be able to hook me up, at (or close to) cost :cool:

If there are enough Canadian's here, maybe we can get a Canuck group purchase going - since the costs to have wheels/tires shipped from the US + taxes/duties makes it somewhat unattractive.

If a few people show interest, I'll volunteer to do some leg work...

CRUZTAKER
11-02-2004, 08:17 PM
I used my '98 gran marquis wheels with the snows. Dude...they all fit.

Yes, the offset is wrong. They ALL will be no matter what 16" rim you use.

So what? They're snow tires....no one to impress in the dead of January aside from the other cars that can't get traction as you,,,in a big ass rwd high powered american sedan blow through up to a foot of snow like a mac truck.:D

snowbird
11-03-2004, 08:11 PM
Isn't our offset more than 1" ?
I thought it was more like 47mm or 1.85".

Remember in 2003 the chassis and suspension was updated
and the wheels were changed due to the updates.
I read somewhere that they were offset 1" but i think it was in comparaison with stock crown vic rims or marquis. It was made to give the cops a small hedge, handling wise. I'm not 100% shure thought.

As for the stock 18", they might be a bit more, like the 1.85 " you suggest. Alongside the car, at they eye, all those above numbers "look" right when you line up the hedge of their respective tires with the adjoining fender.

MENINBLK
11-03-2004, 08:19 PM
I read somewhere that they were offset 1" but i think it was in comparaison with stock crown vic rims or marquis. It was made to give the cops a small hedge, handling wise. I'm not 100% shure thought.

It wasn't done to give the cops an edge.
It was done to convert the front suspension
from spindle and bearing, to hub and bearing.

The steering was also updated from recirculating ball
to adjustable power rack and pinion.

Digital Man
11-05-2004, 10:45 AM
My mechanic is asking for the current tire size to price out my snows. He asked me to use a tape measure and measure the circumference of the tires. I didn't have a tape measure long enough. Any one know the exact measure measurements?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

CRUZTAKER
11-05-2004, 06:22 PM
My mechanic is asking for the current tire size to price out my snows.
That's gonna be tough since no one makes an 18" true snow tire.

QWK SVT
11-06-2004, 01:23 PM
My mechanic is asking for the current tire size to price out my snows. He asked me to use a tape measure and measure the circumference of the tires. I didn't have a tape measure long enough. Any one know the exact measure measurements?

If it helps, here's the numbers:

Front Height: 27.25 in
Front Curcumference: 85.6 in
Rear Height: 28.6 in
Rear Curcumference: 89.9 in

Why not just go with the tried combo of 215/65-16 (front) and 225/70-16 (rear)?

Digital Man
11-09-2004, 09:20 AM
[/color]

This is the stock measurements? If so, yes it helps, thanks! By the way, your local to where I am. Know of a place to get some rims for the winter? I don't want to spend much more then $80ea, $100 if they are nice.

Actually, I realize you gave me the previous options.:bandit: Have you made any head way with yours yet

CRUZTAKER
11-09-2004, 06:31 PM
[/color]

Good answer QWK-SVT.

I would like to add that this ratio can be achieved with the same size tires as well if different brands are used front to rear. I posted this in another thread. It wasn't on purpose, but solely by accident as a result of the tires I preferred and measured them one afternoon last winter.

The Kelly Wintermarks I used (on the rear) were 225-60-16 and optionally I had then studded.
When matched with another brand snow tire (BLIZZAK) for the front in the same size, 225-60-16, I took a measurement and found some interesting results.

The Kellys, being a super aggressive snow tread, had an outer circumference that was 3/4 of an inch bigger than the other brand on the front. This kept the OEM front to rear tire circumference (aside from being 16" vs 18") the same ratio at 1:1.05. It kept the rake appearance, and didn't mess with the ABS whatsoever.

DEFYANT
11-09-2004, 06:54 PM
____
They are very strongly built (twin center stamped very thick steel) so you can jump the curbs like the cops do.
:rolleyes: Whoa! I drive an 02 police interceptor and have bent all four rims (seperate instances). I know these are different than 03/04, but according to the fleet machanic, Ford made these wheels THIN and cheep to reduse the unsprung weight. Also consider there was a major recall on 03 or 04 rims due to weld failures.

BTW, I think this is a good idea to change up for the winter, just have all the facts. I may do the same.

QWK SVT
11-09-2004, 07:38 PM
This is the stock measurements? If so, yes it helps, thanks! By the way, your local to where I am. Know of a place to get some rims for the winter? I don't want to spend much more then $80ea, $100 if they are nice.

Actually, I realize you gave me the previous options.:bandit: Have you made any head way with yours yet:beatnik: By local you mean GTA, or local as in you're near Scarborough?

Yep - those are the stock measurements.

I've been awfully busy at work, so my days have been fairly tied up. Imagine that - they want me to work, the whole time they pay me...:rolleyes:

I have Nov. 11th off (bank holiday :neener: ), so I think I'm going to do some running around - in person I can ALWAYS get a better deal than over the phone. I've also aksed my family friend to see what he can do. As soon as I know anything, I'll definitely post it up.

Thing about those sizes is that not too many brands make both the above. I'm leaning towards a set of Michelin X-Ice for the front, and Michelin Lattitude X-Ice for the rears (same tires, just the taller rear is normally mounted on a truck and has a higher load rating).

Here are manufacturer links:
http://www.michelinman.ca/catalog/tires/MichelinXice.html
http://www.michelinman.ca/catalog/tires/MichelinLatitudeXice.html

As for wheels, it shouldn't be too hard to find (I hope). For laughs I went to the dealer, to see what the CVPI steelies would cost... Trust me. You DON'T want to know... :mad:

QWK SVT
11-09-2004, 08:13 PM
Oh, in case any Canucks thought about buying from the US (say tirerack.com), you'll have to pay the 15% (GST/PST/HST), plus ~$80 brokerage (depends on the carrier) plus duty (6% on wheels and 7% on tires). Oh yeah, and of course the exchange rate...

I'll let you figure out if it's worth it... :rolleyes:

snowbird
11-10-2004, 05:01 AM
:rolleyes: Whoa! I drive an 02 police interceptor and have bent all four rims (seperate instances). I know these are different than 03/04, but according to the fleet machanic, Ford made these wheels THIN and cheep to reduse the unsprung weight. Also consider there was a major recall on 03 or 04 rims due to weld failures.

BTW, I think this is a good idea to change up for the winter, just have all the facts. I may do the same.Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience with those rims. I never heard they were such a weak link but i will investigate it a bit just for my piece of mind. Just to be more precise, i ordered 3W7Z 1007 CA RIMS and installed recently for the coming winter so i don't have a big experience with them. Do you think yours are the same part number ?
The rims i have do look a lot sturdier than the average steel replacement rims that i see in the parking lot at work and they are the first i notice that have double wall construction but who knows, the Marauder is quite a heavy machine. I guess time will tell.

TripleTransAm
11-10-2004, 06:27 AM
I know these are different than 03/04, but according to the fleet machanic, Ford made these wheels THIN and cheep to reduse the unsprung weight. Also consider there was a major recall on 03 or 04 rims due to weld failures.

Jeez, can't Ford get even a simple plain steel wheel done right???????????

snowbird
11-10-2004, 05:20 PM

BTW, I think this is a good idea to change up for the winter, just have all the facts. I may do the same.
In complement to the other post i sent you, i check in with the local (and biggest) dealer in my area who happens to have the contract for the local cops fleet. They told me they never had an issue with those rims.

I also made a patrol in the basement parking where i work (big place, over a 1000 cars capacity). The extra steel wheels set with winter tires is a very popular option around here since we have a harsh winter. Every import with 13- 14 or 15" tires sets were easily seen at the eye with a lot thinner steel than ours. I only found a big Chrysler with the same thickness of steel for his winter set. I guess the design goes with the weight of the vehicle.

Anyway, you did gave me doubt about their strenght. I promess i won't jump over fence or hand over the keys to my wife !!

Digital Man
11-11-2004, 03:09 PM
Another Ques on this. If Traction control is turned off, can you get away with the same size all around? Or will that screw up the ABS too?:rolleyes:

snowbird
11-11-2004, 03:48 PM
Another Ques on this. If Traction control is turned off, can you get away with the same size all around? Or will that screw up the ABS too?:rolleyes:I do use same size around without problems but I don't feel completely confident to answer the part on the ABS. ANYWAY: I think traction control use the sensors of the ABS and then do react to his own logic (playing with the timing, brakes and fuel if it think there's a spin). I also think that the ABS still works as usual without any bad effect since, assuming it again, each wheel is controlled by it's own sensor so in theory, the 4 wheels react separately to their reading when you brake heavily. I made 1 or 2 harsh stops in traffic and i haven't noticed any difference in the reaction of the ABS. I'm riding since about 6 months without the traction control and don't miss it.

But don't take my word. There are a bunch of very knowlegeable people on this board that will be able to answer this better.

QWK SVT
11-11-2004, 05:17 PM
Another Ques on this. If Traction control is turned off, can you get away with the same size all around? Or will that screw up the ABS too?:rolleyes:
While at one of the retailers, today, they mentioned that another Marauder was there, and had huge issues, when they mounted the same size tire on all fours. According to the store, ABS and TC were both "acting funny" and changing back to the 1:1.05 ratio cured it up, right away...

QWK SVT
11-11-2004, 05:31 PM

Actually, I realize you gave me the previous options.:bandit: Have you made any head way with yours yet
So here's what it's looking like, so far:

Automotive Import Market
2 x 215-65-16 and 2 x 225-70-16, Michelin X-Ice, and Michelin Latitude X-Ice, respectively. $1,088 tax and everything in - including 4 black steel rims, mounting and balancing.

Steelcase Tires'n'Mags
They were reluctant to talk about the above size combo :rolleyes: Basically, they said to come in Saturday morning, to try out a couple of options (including something in a 17"). Set of tires for 16" tires would be ~$750, and a 16" front/17" rear combo would run ~$800 (both prices don't include wheels)... I think I'll pass on this one.

TireTrends
They're recommending 2 x 225-60-16 and 2 x 235-65-16 Blizzak WS-50's for the Marauder. They'll need to look for a set of steels wheels, but the price for tires come to $694.57 (tax in).

Family Friend
I'm taking everything with me, and will see what kinda deal I can get. I'm hoping I can get it all, for something in the $800 - $900 range...

I'll keep you posted.

QWK SVT
11-13-2004, 02:44 PM
Family Friend
I'm taking everything with me, and will see what kinda deal I can get. I'm hoping I can get it all, for something in the $800 - $900 range...

I'll keep you posted.
The family friend can get me the Blizzak WS-50 combo (2 x 225-60-16 and 2 x 235-65-16) for $145 and $150, per tire. They think they can get a decent price on a steel wheel, but couldn't get a hold of the guy, today. Either way, this is the best price I've found for the tires.

Once I get a total package price, I'll provide an update...

MENINBLK
11-14-2004, 01:31 AM
The family friend can get me the Blizzak WS-50 combo (2 x 225-60-16 and 2 x 235-65-16) for $145 and $150, per tire. They think they can get a decent price on a steel wheel, but couldn't get a hold of the guy, today. Either way, this is the best price I've found for the tires.

Once I get a total package price, I'll provide an update...

Try Tire Rack...
$98/tire and $99/tire respectively...
You could be saving $200 on a set of 4...

Digital Man
11-14-2004, 08:05 AM
Try Tire Rack...
$98/tire and $99/tire respectively...
You could be saving $200 on a set of 4...
:flamer: Yes, but up here in Canada with the exchange and PST/GST/HST/FST/KST/UST/OST/QST (you get the picture) it will probably not be such a hot deal.

MENINBLK
11-14-2004, 10:45 PM
Has anyone tried the Pirelli Winter 210 Snow Sport tires ?
I have read many reviews and they always get a 4 or 5 out ot 5 rating for snow.

I can get them from tirerack in 225/50HR17 and 235/55HR17 and they are the correct ratio front to rear.
Size wise their diameters are 25.9 and 27.2 vs stock KDWS heights of 27.2 and 28.5.
I figure my speedometer would be reading 58 while I'm cruising at 55 with these tires.

I'm looking at 17"s becuase I am planning on doing a brake upgrade next year,
and I don't want to buy a set of 16" snows and wheels and only get one season out of them...

What do you think ?

CRUZTAKER
11-15-2004, 10:18 AM
There is a Buckeye member that went with 17's and snows. She likes them really well. Not sure of the manufacturer, but I believe they are Japanese and very expensive.

Appears as you may be the guinnea pig here, so let us know when you get them on.

Good fore thought BTW.

QWK SVT
11-18-2004, 07:09 PM
Well folks, here's the skinny:

Blizzak WS-50s, 225-60-16 up front, and 235-65-16, for $145 and $150 per tire, respectively
For the wheels, I'm getting a set of the Ford 2003 CVPI steel wheels (P/N:3W7Z-1007-CA), for $75/wheel

All said and done, $890 for the package. They'll have it all ready to go, tomorrow. I'll probably mount them up, this weekend, or next.
I could've gotten the 16x6.5 wheels, for a few bucks cheaper, but for the price, figured this was a better deal.

Beadhead
11-18-2004, 08:39 PM
Here in London, I run Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow tires, size 215/65/16 front and 215/70/16 rear on Ford PI steelies. They are a very rugged, light truck tire. Not cheap, mind you, but quality always costs $$$.

CRUZTAKER
11-18-2004, 09:05 PM
I run Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow tires..... Not cheap, mind you, but quality always costs $$$.Ridiculously expensive.

Blizzak WS-50s, for $145 and $150 per tire, respectively.....CVPI steel wheels for $75/wheel
THAT sir(s) is big money for snow tires. I mean....dayum....nearly $900 for 5 months out of a year use???

I suppose as long as your happy, but $500 would have got that job done. And that has NOTHING to do with quality. I hope the newbies inquiring on snow tire packages realize this is the pricey 'gold class' route that amounts to nothing more than status quo, AND perhaps the higher Canadian prices on these commodoties. Odd though, seeing as how it snows a hell of alot more in Canada than it does further south of the line, that no one sells reasonably priced tires and rims.

I mean no disrespect to you two, you just have bigger wallets than I.

TripleTransAm
11-18-2004, 09:53 PM
I'm thinking the quoted $900 is in Canadian funds, because that's what was quoted to me on the same package as what was available for $500-ish from whatever source you guys got to put it together.

CRUZTAKER
11-19-2004, 09:32 AM
Phewww...I hope so.

Digital Man
11-19-2004, 02:00 PM
Yeah, I have not found a package much cheaper. I think mine will be around $900. I can't even get tires for $500.

Hey QWKSVT, where did you get the Interceptor rims for $75? I had to go to CrappyTire and get steelies for $75. :confused:

QWK SVT
11-20-2004, 09:54 AM
I'm thinking the quoted $900 is in Canadian funds, because that's what was quoted to me on the same package as what was available for $500-ish from whatever source you guys got to put it together.
TTA is correct - that $900 is in Canadian dollars...So, that's about $700 in US funds. With our inflated prices, and higher sales tax, thats about right.

Had I purchased from the US (tirerack, for example), shipping is expensive, brokerage to cross the border is another $80+, duty and 15% Canadian sales tax would apply on top of it all...:alone:

So, in my mind, this ain't a bad deal...

QWK SVT
11-20-2004, 10:06 AM
Yeah, I have not found a package much cheaper. I think mine will be around $900. I can't even get tires for $500.

Hey QWKSVT, where did you get the Interceptor rims for $75? I had to go to CrappyTire and get steelies for $75. :confused:
Yeah, I was going to go the same route, after hearing what the dealer wanted for the CVPI rims - Like $500 for the set, with my discount (about 20%)! The family friend knew somebody, who knew somebody... I'm not 100% sure where they're coming from. All I do know is that they are in transit (to be here Monday/Tuesday).

Digital Man
12-01-2004, 12:13 PM
Yeah, I was going to go the same route, after hearing what the dealer wanted for the CVPI rims - Like $500 for the set, with my discount (about 20%)! The family friend knew somebody, who knew somebody... I'm not 100% sure where they're coming from. All I do know is that they are in transit (to be here Monday/Tuesday).
Did ye get'em? I got rims from CrappyTire $75. I went withh the X-ICE combo, coudn't get the blizzaks. I put them on today. Looks ok, only problem is the tire depth comes out a fair bit. Its splashing all kinds of crap up the back side of the car.:help: That can't be good. I bet those interceptor rims would fix that.

On the other hand, car looks like a dragster.

MENINBLK
12-01-2004, 12:36 PM
Here in London, I run Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow tires, size 215/65/16 front and 215/70/16 rear on Ford PI steelies. They are a very rugged, light truck tire. Not cheap, mind you, but quality always costs $$$.

I just got a deal from Cy @ Tirerack on the same Pirelli Scorpions,
215/65-16(27.2") & 225/70-16(28.4"), on the Sport Edition TK5 wheels.
I also ordered a pair of the KDWS for the rear to have on hand,
so I can swap over the tires while the snows are on.
The whole deal gets shipped to me with New Lug Nuts (althought I may still
use the Gorrilla Tuner Lock Lugs if they fit), Centering rings,
Mounted and Balanced for under $1100 !!!

The tires aren't low profile and the wheels are on closeout,
so Cy told me to avoid as many potholes as I can.
The wheels look very nice.
They are painted silver and have a 5 spoke design,
kinda like what a modern Crager SS Wheel would have looked like...
http://www.tirerack.com/images/wheels/sportedition/swap/se_tk5_ci3_l.jpg

Once I've got them on, I'll have to post some pictures for you guys to drool over...

QWK SVT
12-04-2004, 10:38 PM
Did ye get'em? I got rims from CrappyTire $75. I went withh the X-ICE combo, coudn't get the blizzaks. I put them on today. Looks ok, only problem is the tire depth comes out a fair bit. Its splashing all kinds of crap up the back side of the car.:help: That can't be good. I bet those interceptor rims would fix that.

On the other hand, car looks like a dragster.Sorry it's taken so long to reply... I've got'em - kin of. They are paid for, and sitting at the shop, waiting for me to pick them up. I've been basically working non-stop (14 - 20 hour days), since last Thursday - in fact, I just got home from the office, now. :mad2:

So... I haven't been able to pick them up, yet. Hopefully, next weekend.

MENINBLK
12-09-2004, 06:46 PM
http://www.tirerack.com/images/wheels/sportedition/swap/se_tk5_ci3_l.jpg

Thanks Cy for all your help !!

I put them on yesterday and I've driven about 100 miles on them so far.
I can't believe how nice the Pirellis ride for a Winter Tire !!

The job that Tirerack has done has been great !
The 1.05:1 ratio is perfect and no problems with the offset or the Traction Control.
The tires sit at the right place under the wells and look right.
The balance perfect, but you have to check the weights after you've mounted the wheel.
The weights on my wheels *just miss* the caliper.
Any thicker and I've have to pull them off and relocate them.

Its been raining here so I haven't taken any pics yet.
As soon as the weather clears, I'll try to post a few of them.

Now I just have to get used to the steering.
With these Pirellis, the steering only needs a light touch.
AND, I have to stay off the gas. These tires burn easily !!

QWK SVT
12-12-2004, 07:14 PM

On the other hand, car looks like a dragster.
I finally got them on, this morning - in case you haven't noticed, the snow started today... I figured I'd better get my butt in gear.

She's back in the garage, safe and sound, away from the snow. 'Til tomorrow morning, at least. Now all that's left is for me to get those shiny center caps, that the cops have, and I'll be done. Here's a picture from today:
http://www.qwksvt.com/Marauder_Files/Snows/Snowing.jpg

Digital Man
12-13-2004, 11:55 AM
Cars look good guys! I had to replace the Crappytire rims and went with the Ford stock rims. Same ones you have. I can't get the centre caps from anywhere however. Well, execpt Ford and they want $80 per!:eek: Thats just a bit nutty.

Can anyone else get'em cheaper? Or know where I could? It would really finish it off nicely.

GarageMahal
12-13-2004, 01:12 PM
Cars look good guys! I had to replace the Crappytire rims and went with the Ford stock rims. Same ones you have. I can't get the centre caps from anywhere however. Well, execpt Ford and they want $80 per!:eek: Thats just a bit nutty.

Can anyone else get'em cheaper? Or know where I could? It would really finish it off nicely.

Check here (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=14564)

Hope the work for you :)

jta

Digital Man
12-13-2004, 01:55 PM
Check here (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=14564)

Hope the work for you :)

jta
I've seen these ones but he is in the states. I'm not up for the dutie and taxes, or whatever I'm gonna get nailed with.

MENINBLK
12-13-2004, 02:46 PM
I've seen these ones but he is in the states. I'm not up for the dutie and taxes, or whatever I'm gonna get nailed with.

Maybe you should get *friendly* with your parts guy and maybe he'll give you and the other Canadian Marauder owners a discount ???

Digital Man
12-14-2004, 06:52 AM
Maybe you should get *friendly* with your parts guy and maybe he'll give you and the other Canadian Marauder owners a discount ???
I'm not sure I want to get that friendly! :run:

Digital Man
12-23-2004, 09:33 AM
Today was the real test of the snows. And I have to say! Uh, YEAH! It only took a half hour to clear the snow off the car. In that time I watched a Mini Van (front wheel) and a (don't what it was but it was a small car) get stuck on my road. A few neighbours had to help push. Well, I thought for sure I had met my match. Let me tell you, I turned off the traction control, backed out, put her in Drive, and drove off like I was on pavement. Well, ok, it wasn't quite that sturdy, but wheel spinning was minimal. It was exciting!

:rock:

QWK SVT
12-23-2004, 11:48 AM
Why?

This morning, started a turn onto a completely snowed-out side street from a complete stop, and instinctively expected the back end to come around a bit (so I got poised to compensate for the fishtail...). It never happened: the rear swung out during the turn but the TC immediately kicked in and locked the rear end right down, with the car pointed in the perfect direction. No compensation necessary. Rather anticlimactic, really...

At least Ford didn't skimp on the TC design, that's for sure. Downright boring.

(but boring is good when you've got your family in the car and you're looking at an 80 km leg of your daily 160-200 km commute).
I turn it off, sometimes, too...

In winter conditions, I will sometimes use the gas pedal to steer around a corner - particularly when starting from a stop (i.e. left turns from a light). The first time I tried this with TC on, it kicked in, and basically shut everything down:eek: Luckily, there was no oncoming traffic, or it wouldn't have been pretty.

Now, depending on the situation, I basically turn it off, until I get moving and then turn it back on.

Digital Man
12-24-2004, 09:38 AM
Why?

This morning, started a turn onto a completely snowed-out side street from a complete stop, and instinctively expected the back end to come around a bit (so I got poised to compensate for the fishtail...). It never happened: the rear swung out during the turn but the TC immediately kicked in and locked the rear end right down, with the car pointed in the perfect direction. No compensation necessary. Rather anticlimactic, really...

At least Ford didn't skimp on the TC design, that's for sure. Downright boring.

(but boring is good when you've got your family in the car and you're looking at an 80 km leg of your daily 160-200 km commute).
I agree, for keeping the car striaght and safe. But when I was pulling out of my driveway in about a foot and a half of snow and ice, I figured momentum was my greatest ally.

Canadasvt
04-05-2005, 08:24 PM
Front 215/65/16 and front 225/60/16 have the same diameter difference compared to the 225/70/16 rears (4.93% difference). So if ya can't find 215/65 go for the 225/60 which is more common and easier to locate.
http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp?action= submit

Serge
04-06-2005, 04:37 PM
I can get you 1998-2002 steelies for 60 bucks a pop. Those flat cop center caps 20 bucks a pop. They will be slightly used but nothing some wheel polish can't take care of.

Canadasvt
04-07-2005, 07:24 AM
Yesterday I picked up a set of used (5000km) interceptor steel wheels with chrome police center cap and proper lug nuts with Hankooks for $550 Canadian. Plus a K&N panel air filter was tossed in for free. Thanks to '5.0' for listing them on mercurymarauder.net:beer:

Digital Man
04-11-2005, 06:47 PM
I need the centre caps and lug nuts if anyone has them?