PDA

View Full Version : 4:10 gear change price

BigMerc
01-27-2003, 12:17 PM
Can everyone who had the gears changed tell me what the price was minus the gears, this dealer is trying to stick it to me

jefferson-mo
01-27-2003, 01:27 PM
Well if you rolled in here you'd be quoted 8 hours at $78.00 an hour. I checked with my service guys and that seems to be the going rate.
$624 labor only........:eek:
I guess the actual R & R isn't too bad---it's the 'setup' that takes the time and requires the most skill....:bows:
Also if you haven't got the chip they say they can only get the speedo recalibrated to approx: 8-9 mph off......that's as close as they can get.....

BTW.........how much are you being quoted/charged?

We are in SoCal so I imagine labor rates are different in other places

:banana2:

Murader03
01-27-2003, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by BigMerc
Can everyone who had the gears changed tell me what the price was minus the gears, this dealer is trying to stick it to me

The question should be, is the dealer going to honor your warranty for problems after they install the gears? Anyway, depending on your local, you might be able to find a local area speed shop (Mustang shop, etc.) to do the work cheaper. The gears should run you about $180 from Dennis, and then a good shop should charge you a reasonable install fee. Mine was so reasonable I almost fell over when the guy told me. They being your dealer, should be able to flash the computer to get exact speedo reading. 8-10 mph is not being changed. It's that way stock with the gears. Get the chip from Dennis along with the plugs and stat and then everything will be on track as it should be.

If the swap is done by a good speed shop, there shouldn't be any probelms. The dealer would never know, and the speedo would be on track with the chip.

RancorKeeper
01-27-2003, 02:06 PM
My dealer charged me $350 to swap 3.73's on my Bullitt. It was roughly a three hour job and I got in writing that the warranty was still good. I bought FMS gears & Ford fluids before I took it in, so the price was just labor.

SergntMac
01-27-2003, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by BigMerc

You don't say what your are being quoted, and whether or not that price includes parts or not, so, this was my experience with the cost of 4:10 gears;

Gear set; FMC Motorsports 4:10, bought through Reinhart and UPSed to my door in 3 days. 180.+25. shipping. Dealer provided gear set was quoted at 449.

Labor; LM/ASE certified wrench (with a Winston Cup hobby)--5 hours flat rate @90. per=540. Misc. lube/gaskets=63., plus tax.

Also got a free tear down/inspection after 1K, just to be safe. I paid for lubes, and bought lunch.

Strong advice to tear down and inspect gears, and change lube, every 10k because lube will break down quicker under my application. This "every 10k" added proceedure may cost around 130. or so, when it's time. I agree with this advice.

My expectation of retaining full warranty coverage is very high. I was told that if I break the 4:10s, LM will restore factory spec 3:55s only, unless I supply new 4:10s for the repair. That's reasonable, you agree?

I get my speedo correction from the Reinhart chip, but that's still -1.2 MPH lower from visual reading. Speedo reads 40, I'm at 38.8 MPH, and I like this margin of error when driving in Wisconsin.

This error can multiply to as much as 10 MPH or more over 100 MPH, but who cares, eh? These numbers come from dyno pulls, so, I'm fairly confident of accuracy.

Hope this helps, enjoy.

gonzo50
01-27-2003, 04:44 PM
SergntMac,
I was on the assumption that if you got the chip with the gears that the speedometer would read correctly, plus or minus 1-2, no matter what speed you're doing all the way up to Top-End. I don't want to be doing 125 plus mph and not know exactly where I'm at. This defeats the purpose of the calibration of the chip to correct the actual speed. :confused: Can I please get some clarification on this. Thanks.

Logan
01-27-2003, 05:24 PM
Gonzo, you're correct. If you run the reinhart chip with the 4.10's your speedometer will be bang on. Mine most certainly is.

Most dealer's will not or can't re-program the stock PCM, so running a chip is necessary for the 4.10's...

As an aside, I paid about $360 in labor from my Merc dealership. Booked at 8 hours labor, but my preferred rate is $45/hr with them...

Mikeenh
01-27-2003, 06:20 PM
Dennis Reinhart did my 4:10 gears in under 4 hours. This includes the time to grind rust off from the salt roads we have. I purchased Mobile 1 synthetic gear lube for him to use. Sounds like if you live near Jacksonville Florida, go see Dennis.

BigMerc
01-27-2003, 06:37 PM
Well mine quoted $695.00 and I supplied the gears from dennis, I'm not inclined to get screwed that bad. what gets me when I call around for pricing on putting gears in I called 8 dealerships and got "whats a marauder?" 3 times thats amazing for a dealership selling the damn car!!!. Others say "I can't do it because of EPA regulations, it will cjhange your emissions'
I think ill just drive up to dennis and let him do it

Billatpro
01-27-2003, 06:42 PM
HAR, HAR, HAR Wisconsin!!!! I love a cheap shot!!!

Billatpro
01-27-2003, 06:44 PM
BigMerc, it will cjhange your emissions, It'll make all kinds of smoke!!! :lol:

WolfeBros
01-27-2003, 07:00 PM
:lol: ^^^ what he said ^^^ :lol:

Mike M
01-27-2003, 07:44 PM
I have Dennis's chip and I am getting ready to install the 4:10s BUT I reallly would like to know what it will be worth in the 1/4. I have a high 9sec strret car and also a 12sec street car. If I had to guess my Marauder is a 14.7 car right now. Anyone have any idea on what the 4:10s will bring????

Billatpro
01-27-2003, 07:47 PM
My guess 2/10th's

SergntMac
01-28-2003, 07:29 AM
Gonzo, you ask for clarity, and this is all I can explain.

I have Reinhart's Delta chip with on-off octane switch, and during two dyno tests, I observed a slight speedo error. Chip on, stock rear tires rotating @ 38.8 MPH reads 40 MPH on the speedo. Stock rear tires rotating @120 MPH reads 130 MPH on the speedo (3rd gear, OD off, motor maxed out at 6000 RPM). Switch off, the error is 10 mph at 60 MPH, but I didn't test this error throughout the range, it's wasn't my reason for the dynos.

Whether this is your "bang on," or not, it is cool with me. Anything over 100 MPH and I'm not watching the speedo anyway. Maybe there is a loss, or, error because it's a dyno test, maybe not. I tested with both mustang and dynapack styles, and found the same results.

This isn't a big deal to me, I tend to drive by the tach. I have other plans for the car and I will be re-chipping in the spring anyway, and it may see further correction. If so, I'll let you know.

With regards to emissions, I'd argue that the 4:10 is an improvement, because it launches 4200 pounds of car with a lot less gas, under normal driving conditions, and burns gas more efficiently throughout the power band. My chip is listed in my OASIS as an emissions enhancement to the PCM, again hiding in plain sight.

Never hurts to buy lunch, eh?

WolfeBros
01-28-2003, 07:43 AM
So Sarge.......your posting seems to prove my theory that most dealership service managers are OUT TO LUNCH ?? ;)

RF Overlord
01-28-2003, 07:46 AM
Sarge:

"an emissions enhancement".....I love it...

Kinda reminds me of Ed Norton being an "underground sanitation engineer"... :D

Logan
01-28-2003, 08:23 AM
Actually I agree with Sarge, my mileage actually did improve slightly with the 4.10's... It most certainly didn't get worse.

Murader03
01-28-2003, 01:50 PM
SergntMac/others...with the delta chip turned off, the PCM reverts to orginal program (for 3.55's). With 4.10's installed the speedo will be off 8-10 MPH with the chip turned off. I posted a thread called "Here you go" that shows the speed with 4.10's and what the speedo said compared to a hand help GPS, (chip on). It was never more that +/- 1 MPH off. If you didn't have the chip programmed for the 4.10's, then it'll read incorrectly regardless!

SergntMac
01-28-2003, 02:45 PM
Thanks, Bob, what you say is true. Chip turned off, the PCM reverts to stock program, and the speedo shows higher speed, while accelerating the "miles traveled" numbers.

Since I purchased my chip with the gears, stat and plugs, I have to presume that Dennis would have made the necessary 4:10 corrections to the chip before shipping, because when it's on, everything is cool.

How do you like your "pre-production" tips, does she sound any better over the stock tips?

Murader03
01-29-2003, 12:31 AM
Sarge! I love the new sound from the tips. The pre-production units don't have the baffeling in them. They're also lighter than the orginals for this reason. As soon as they pulled off the installed tips and I held it and the pre-production tips together, the weight difference was noticeable.

gonzo50
01-29-2003, 07:49 AM
SergntMac, Logan
Thanks for the scoop on the gears and speedo, it was very informative. When I'm ready to get my gears, chip and driveshaft installed after purchase, I'll do a one stop shopping at Dennis Reinhart's for the complete package with total installation. :burnout: I'm only a couple hours away in Georgia. Thanks again. :rockon: