PDA

View Full Version : Received Ford Dual Mode Mufflers

tmac1337
11-02-2004, 06:27 PM
Just received 2 Ford dual mode mufflers. Check out my 3 gallery pictures of them, trap door inside and all.

http://www.mercurygallery.net/mmnet/showphoto.php/photo/6000/password/ee7e42947adb61b317835a2590807f ec/sort/1/cat/500/page/1
http://www.mercurygallery.net/mmnet/showphoto.php/photo/6014/password/ee7e42947adb61b317835a2590807f ec/sort/1/cat/500/page/1

jparrie
11-03-2004, 04:18 AM
How Much$$ ?

Cobra25
11-03-2004, 06:04 AM
I hope you will give us a up date after the install on what you think about them.

FordNut
11-03-2004, 06:42 AM
I hope you will give us a up date after the install on what you think about them.
Before & after dyno numbers would be great too.

SergntMac
11-03-2004, 07:45 AM
Am I missing something? Like inlet/outlet pipe to weld or clamp to?

MENINBLK
11-03-2004, 08:24 AM

It certainly looks like there is no outlet pipe on the muffler.
There should be an outlet pipe to slip inside the Over Axle pipe.

tmac1337
11-03-2004, 09:20 AM

Mac, they did come with a small sleave or inlet/outlet pipe about 1 inches off the mufflers. There definately is not the same amount that usually comes with a muffler but there is some. My guy says no problem. There will have to be some modifications, adjustments made by my muffler guy for the install. I am hoping to install them tomorrow morning.

MENINBLK
11-03-2004, 09:22 AM
Your right Mac, they did not come with a sleave or inlet/outlet pipe a couple of inches off the mufflers. There will have to be some modifications, adjustments made by my muffler guy for the install. I am hoping to install them tomorrow morning.

Before you install them, I would verify this with FORD MOTORSPORTS and make sure you aren't getting a defective product.

Why should you have to pay your muffler guy for additional modifications
if they shouldn't be necessary ?

tmac1337
11-03-2004, 10:21 AM
There is a small outlet opening off each side of the mufflers, about 1 inch, have to look close at the photos as they are almost direct on. It is not very large but there is enough to slip a pipe over. It probably will require a larger sleeve to be welded over before the install. I will have my muffler guy do it rather than get into it with ford as it is a special order part.

tmac1337
11-03-2004, 10:32 AM
How Much$$ ?

You can get them for $289. from a dealer or $295. over the internet. Don't buy these until I can try them out and see if they are worth it.

MERCMAN
11-03-2004, 12:17 PM
ok, edumacate this ole boy, how do they work??

tmac1337
11-03-2004, 02:58 PM
ok, edumacate this ole boy, how do they work??

At normal driving the exhaust flow goes through normal baffles/chambers in the muffler keeping the car quiet around town and coasting. At around 2800-3000 rpms, WOT, the pressure builds up enough to open a spring loaded trap door that is against the flow of exhaust. With the door open the muffler now is turned into a straight through performance design with no baffling, thats why the muffler is offset/offset same side to allow for this. At least this is how it was explained to me.

Amsoil_Dealer
11-03-2004, 03:23 PM
Those look pretty cool. Keep us posted on how they work.

Is that $300 per side? Good Lawd thas a lotta money.

Don

Bradley G
11-03-2004, 04:12 PM
I would think $300.00 a pair unless....they are semi precious (sp) metal

Ross
11-03-2004, 04:22 PM
How do they sound at WOT?

jaywish
11-03-2004, 04:51 PM
The best part of these is that you are obligated to go WOT regularly to keep them working properly. :burnout:

"Honest officer, it's required maintenance."

MERCMAN
11-03-2004, 06:18 PM
ok, silly question. With the amount of water flowing through our exhaust because of the cats, are those "gates" and springs made of a non-corrosive metal? Do the mufflers have a warranty for that price?

tmac1337
11-04-2004, 03:00 PM
I left the car with my installer today, Going to pick it up tomorrow morning. He just called me on the phone told me he has them on and they sound "fantastic". He also sells magnaflows and told me these sound 10X better than what he just took off, that he was very surprised as he had never seen a dual mode muffler before and did not know what to expect himself. Said I'm going to love em, that they perform exactly as described, no internal annoying cabin noise unless you stomp on it and then it sounds like a nascar. I will drive it awhile myself tomorrow and report back what I personally think of them. So far so good.

tmac1337
11-05-2004, 08:31 AM
Confirmed, these mufflers work as advertised. No Drone. Very mellow low rumble at low RPMs or cruising speed which does not annoyingly invade the interior. Put the pedal down and they roar just like a Magnaflow but not with a drone noise like a ricer. I am a very happy person. The car sounds like it should have now from the factory. My car sounds like an American Car again.

The installers, Joel and Rob of Muffler Magic & Brakes, 954-792-2256, were very impressed with the sound, and they know what they are talking about. These guys do all custom work and restore vehicles worth in the hundred of thousands.

They told me that if I had come in off the street they would not have recomended a 18" magnaflow if thats what I wanted, but instead would have told me to install a shorter body Magnaflow, they attribute all the drone to the 18". Their opinion, and they sell Magnaflows

MERCMAN
11-05-2004, 10:21 AM
do you have a part number for the mufflers?

Bradley G
11-05-2004, 10:43 AM
notice any appreciable gains from yer seat o pants? Was the lack of outlet collar(s) any issue?ie other parts required?How long did it take apprx?.Does the sound delay ? or ON right away? these are really neat!!:bows: way to break the Ice for us.Thank you for this post!

Bradley G.

Man!, (just when you think your done modd'in for a while someone posts this:mad: )

SergntMac
11-05-2004, 11:39 AM
Congrats, Tim, glad you're pleased. Boy, they really dress up the Marauder!

Agent M79
11-05-2004, 11:45 AM
Do you know at what RPM the sound changes?

And what is the inlet/outlet size?

tmac1337
11-05-2004, 12:16 PM
do you have a part number for the mufflers?

I have it at home, I'll post it later.

tmac1337
11-05-2004, 12:22 PM
notice any appreciable gains from yer seat o pants? Was the lack of outlet collar(s) any issue?ie other parts required?How long did it take apprx?.Does the sound delay ? or ON right away? these are really neat!!:bows: way to break the Ice for us.Thank you for this post!

Bradley G.

Man!, (just when you think your done modd'in for a while someone posts this:mad: )

I did not notice seat of pants as I already had the complete Reinhart exhaust kit with the Magnaflows. This was noise drone related issue for me. Solved. I'll take some pictures of the mufflers tom. on the car when Carfixer raises it up so you can see what was done around the inlet/outlet openings. I was charged for 3 hours labor, $60. hr, $180. total. A new extension pipe was thrown in from back of the x pipe to both mufflers and the tips were extended an inch or so beyond the bumper. The sound is instantaneous at WOT or builds when accelerating, the faster and harder you go, the louder it is. In mellow driving or coasting, the car is now quiet.

tmac1337
11-07-2004, 05:33 PM
These are photos of the installed mufflers. The installer had to weld up to the muffler as they do not come with much of a lip.

http://www.mercurygallery.net/mmnet/showphoto.php/photo/6030/password/ee7e42947adb61b317835a2590807f ec/sort/1/cat/500/page/1
http://www.mercurygallery.net/mmnet/showphoto.php/photo/6031/password/ee7e42947adb61b317835a2590807f ec/sort/1/cat/500/page/1
http://www.mercurygallery.net/mmnet/showphoto.php/photo/6029/password/ee7e42947adb61b317835a2590807f ec/sort/1/cat/500/page/1

Bradley G
11-07-2004, 05:51 PM
Hey tmac1337, Thanks again for your posts on the dual note mufflers .I'm wondering if they will be much louder on an otherwise stock exhaust.I sure would love to hear them Can I call youon your cell while your in the car? .... just teasin:rolleyes: congrats! thanks for the pics
Bradley G.

tmac1337
11-07-2004, 05:55 PM
Bradley you cannot put these on a stock exhaust as they are 2.5" for a performance exhaust. But they are worth every penny.

jgc61sr2002
11-07-2004, 06:02 PM
tmac - The exhaust system looks great. :up: Keep us posted on it's performance. Thanks

Bradley G
11-08-2004, 04:01 AM
Thanks for your reply,I thought the extention/adapters needed could be modified to fit stock.If not, they will have to wait till power adder is on.thanks

Bradley G.
ps glad your happy with the results;)

Bradley you cannot put these on a stock exhaust as they are 2.5" for a performance exhaust. But they are worth every penny.

warren
11-12-2004, 06:08 PM
More info.
Talked to the engineer again ( ArvinMeritor/Superior ) and.........He said.
These do produce 10-15hp---they really work.
They are HAND MADE in the ArvinMeritor tech. shop.
Only sold thru FRPP
All stainless so water will not affect the door or spring.
He said the 1" short lip was done to make sure folks welded them in place
for a smoother connection & flow.
Install them closer to rear, ie. our oem. mufflers are longer and he said to
weld first to rear tailpipe, then add extra pipe to front.
The only reason for the oem. H pipe is to control sound so add your X pipe for power in front of the mufflers.
In the FRPP cat. if shows a complete set up for the COBRA with an X
in the back, behind the DDMufs. and this is to get back the 5hp. loss
due to the 90deg. turn on the rear part of the COBRA system.
Sound should be superb all thru to 6000+, not too loud but smooth on
low end and louder but more balanced on high end with great sound.
At WOT it will sound like a well tuned race car.......all right!
See TMAC1337's prior posts.

As soon as I get these and the X pipe I will do another dyno. run to see
what the diff. is. My set up here in Calif. must leave oem. cats in place
and then add 2.5" X-pipe, the dual mode 2.5" muff's. to the tail pipe.:)

WarrenB

tmac1337
11-12-2004, 08:21 PM
Thanks for the update Warren. There is almost virtually no information to be had on these mufflers as only a few are hand made at a time and available only through Ford. You have found the best info though, from one of the people who designed them. I can attest to the fact they work.

Directedby
11-22-2004, 06:08 PM
More info.
Talked to the engineer again ( ArvinMeritor/Superior ) and.........He said.
These do produce 10-15hp---they really work.
They are HAND MADE in the ArvinMeritor tech. shop.
Only sold thru FRPP
All stainless so water will not affect the door or spring.
He said the 1" short lip was done to make sure folks welded them in place
for a smoother connection & flow.
Install them closer to rear, ie. our oem. mufflers are longer and he said to
weld first to rear tailpipe, then add extra pipe to front.
The only reason for the oem. H pipe is to control sound so add your X pipe for power in front of the mufflers.
In the FRPP cat. if shows a complete set up for the COBRA with an X
in the back, behind the DDMufs. and this is to get back the 5hp. loss
due to the 90deg. turn on the rear part of the COBRA system.
Sound should be superb all thru to 6000+, not too loud but smooth on
low end and louder but more balanced on high end with great sound.
At WOT it will sound like a well tuned race car.......all right!
See TMAC1337's prior posts.

As soon as I get these and the X pipe I will do another dyno. run to see
what the diff. is. My set up here in Calif. must leave oem. cats in place
and then add 2.5" X-pipe, the dual mode 2.5" muff's. to the tail pipe.:)

WarrenB

I am looking into these in addition to the cobra exhaust. but because i am in california, i think i need to keep my stock cats.

Is it possible to install these on stock car and add the x pipe?

What is the stock number for these?

thanks

hdwrench
11-22-2004, 06:14 PM
i was thinkin of either the kooks/DR kit... if i could delete the magnaflows and add these dual modes instead.

tmac1337
11-22-2004, 06:21 PM
I am looking into these in addition to the cobra exhaust. but because i am in california, i think i need to keep my stock cats.

Is it possible to install these on stock car and add the x pipe?

What is the stock number for these?

thanks

Directedby, Warren is also in CA and is also installing them with an X pipe after the cats as I heard it is illegal to remove them in CA. DR exhaust system does come with 2 hiflow cats, may want to check with him if they are CA legal for an emmission inspection.

I ordered mine from Five Star Ford, available only through Ford Racing Dealers, for $289.52, delivered to my house, total cost $305.00. The dealer list is $321.95. Part number M-5230-BP2...look at the Ford Racing website and check them out. These are handmade in the labs at Arvin Metiere in CA, every part is stainless steel.

As you have to live with CA emission restrictions, it may or may not be worth it for you to do this as you cannot change the manifolds or cats to 2.5 to the X pipe.

Nathan
11-22-2004, 10:14 PM
i was thinkin of either the kooks/DR kit... if i could delete the magnaflows and add these dual modes instead.

I was thinking thing same. Is it true that you can't buy the Kooks setup without the magnaflows?

hdwrench
11-25-2004, 05:51 PM
I was thinking thing same. Is it true that you can't buy the Kooks setup without the magnaflows?
i dont know.. DR could probably tell us

tmac1337
11-25-2004, 07:52 PM
DR's kit does not come with mufflers. If you purchase his kit you can install any muffler you want.

MERCMAN
01-19-2005, 07:24 PM
Anything new on the mufflers? Any problems? complaints? I am really considering this!!

GordonB
01-19-2005, 09:40 PM
FWIF, the newly announced C6 Corvette Z06 with 500 horsies STOCK from the factory has Dual Mode Mufflers as well. These babies will be STREET LEGAL in California!!!! on the new Vette.

GordonB

tmac1337
01-19-2005, 09:59 PM
Anything new on the mufflers? Any problems? complaints? I am really considering this!!

These mufflers work as advertised. I think a few people are in the process of installing some. DR just told me last week at our meet picnic he has purchased 2 sets for some of his customers.

DEFYANT
01-19-2005, 10:12 PM
Thanks for the update as I am considering these as well.

Rider90
01-20-2005, 04:43 AM
But what about the rumble when you start your car up :confused:

torinodan
01-20-2005, 05:39 AM
Any one checked out the mufflers on the 05 Mustang Saleen? They have a vacuum operated dump valve on them that makes them wide open at some RPM. I thought something looked weird being that this mustang has center exhaust tips under the tag and the mufflers had two other tips hidden under the rear bumper. Thought I would let you all know.

metroplex
01-20-2005, 08:00 AM
Even if it is stainless steel, it can still cause problems. Flaps and doors are generally avoided in exhaust systems because they can stick.

If you run an unmuffled H-pipe, the exhaust is generally more throaty and resembles that of a V8 whereas if you run an unmuffled X-pipe, it has a higher pitched "exotic" race car sound that detracts from the "modern muscle" appeal of the Marauder. But the X-pipe is better for your 4V heads in making power.

DEFYANT
01-20-2005, 08:21 AM
Even if it is stainless steel, it can still cause problems. Flaps and doors are generally avoided in exhaust systems because they can stick.
That is a good question...

Is there a warrenty on these mufflers? Kind of an odd question when thinking about mufflers, but since there are moving parts to them, there should be a warrenty.

MENINBLK
01-21-2005, 09:44 AM
But what about the rumble when you start your car up :confused:

You don't want a rumble on startup ?? :D

metroplex
01-21-2005, 09:45 AM
So these mufflers will probably need "Exhaust rotator bearings" :flamer: