PDA

View Full Version : Replaced my speaker AND NOTICED !

joflewbyu2
01-27-2003, 08:20 PM
FACT: factory sub is 6.75" round. rear speakers are 6x8 and fronts are 6x8. i changed mine today. got kenwood kfc 6808c 3 way 6x8s for both the front and rear. rear grills pop off and 4 screws hold each speaker to the metal shelf. INTERESTING NOTE: YOU CAN SLIDE YOUR FINGERS UNDER THE CARPETED SHELF FROM THE DRIVER'S SIDE OPENING AFTER YOU REMOVE THE GRILL AND CHECK TO SEE IF YOUR FOAM WAS LEFT IN ABOVE THE 6.75" SUB SPEAKER. yes mine was there. i was able to ease my long fingers in and grab it out. it was 1" thick and about 6" x 6". made a huge difference in bass output. let me say it again, made a huge difference in bass output. the kenwoods are crystal clear (separate woofer, midrange and tweeter). the door have 2 visible screws on bottom, 1 visible screw on outside edge, 1 hidden torx behind the cover where the door handle opener is, 1 hidden screw inside - below the window covers, pull the side mirror triangle piece out (held on with clip), pull door cover UP, not out, until it is free. when replacing front speaker and reusing the oem socket screws, cut the screws down half way (via dremmel) or use a spacer as the oem have the grills glue on them and screws are to long and bottom out before the new speaker is secured. GOOD LUCK!! a world of difference. never knew it would sound this GOOD!

mdmarauder
01-28-2003, 07:52 AM
I know this has probably been discussed before but I assume removing the foam only increases bass output. What will cure the rattling? Without removing the whole rear deck.

RF Overlord
01-28-2003, 08:10 AM
md:

Probably not...mine did not have the foam piece and still buzzed...the dealer put something in there that MOSTLY cured it, but it's not perfect with high bass/high volume...fortunately, I'm not one of those people you hear coming 10 minutes before you see me...

boom...badda...boom...badda... boom...thumpa...thumpa...thump a...

:rock:

jefferson-mo
01-28-2003, 08:48 AM
joflew, if you're talking about the black foam that looks like a 'scotch-brite' that's supposed to be there to keep grit and dirt out...........but if you're talkin' 'bout the rubber thing then you on track:rock:

WolfeBros
01-28-2003, 01:55 PM
MdMarauder.....
Joflewbyu2 inspired me to go look at my sub woofer rattle today during lunch. (thanks Joflewbyu2) I pulled up the left speaker grill (drivers side )carefully......this is a punched steel part with rolled edges that hold it in place... using a screwdriver first and then just my fingers. Pull it up and out. You then can feel back towards the sub woofer with your fingers.....its to your left towards the center of the car. I could feel then that my foam insert had already been punched out but I also had the annoying package shelf rattle. I cut a piece of styrofoam that I had in the garage with a hacksaw about 1 1/2" X 4 " piece and pushed it between the left speaker and the subwoofer.....just enough to hold the package shelf up alittle.....and taaaaa daaaaa ......no more rattle. Beats the heck out of taking the back seat out. Good luck with yours. :up:

RF Overlord
01-28-2003, 02:07 PM
You da' MAN, Wolfe...

I'm gonna check that out just as soon as the weather cooperates...it was -1.8° at my house this morning...supposed to be in the 40's on Saturday, but it's supposed to rain...can't catch a break..

mdmarauder
01-28-2003, 02:46 PM
Thanks, Wolfe

As soon as it gets above 15 I'll check it out.

Now, all I need is to stop the damn squeaking seat.

WolfeBros
01-28-2003, 02:55 PM
MdMarauder...... I used to live in Columbia, MD and worked in Germantown and Rockville area.....know what your fighting temp wise anyway. Don't know what to tell you on the seat except to squeak like that right back at your dealership. Also on the package shelf squeak.....if it is still there.....do the right side the same way as described.
:banana2:

WolfeBros
01-28-2003, 02:59 PM
Hey RF......... heck at those temps even the tires squeak.........:alone:

Good luck with your sub rattle. :cool:

MassMarauder
01-28-2003, 06:26 PM
RF, Rain is good. Rain washes away the salt. Lots of white roads around here. Sunday could be a great cruising day.

RF Overlord
01-28-2003, 06:45 PM
Tell me about it, Mass...I washed the Black Falcon on Sunday, my wife took it to Boston, and it came back gray...again... :depress:

Fourth Horseman
01-28-2003, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by joflewbyu2@aol.
FACT: factory sub is 6.75" round. rear speakers are 6x8 and fronts are 6x8. i changed mine today. got kenwood kfc 6808c 3 way 6x8s for both the front and rear

Thanks for the info on the speaker swap. How much did you pay for your new kenwood speakers? Any wiring changes or was it just uplug the old speakers and plug the new ones in?

joflewbyu2
01-28-2003, 07:16 PM
fourth horseman, i paid $69 per pair for the kenwood 6x8 kfc-6808c plus $5.99 per pair for metra wiring harness adapters so i did NOT have to cut the factory plug off the wiring harness at Bestbuy. Crutchfield has them for $89 per pair that includes wiring harness and installation instructions. i just happen to go into bestbuy (never thought i find 6x8 kenwoods there) and seen them. rest is history. bought Monday at 3:30 pm, installed 5-7 pm. Very pleased that I Did Not have to take the rear seat out and deck, just pop rear grills off. the 1st door took 1 hour, second door was a breeze - 45 minutes.

martyo
01-28-2003, 09:28 PM
By the way, Kenwood makes a 2-way that is a little pricier but mounted in the same frame. Supposed to be a slightly better speaker. $60.00 per pair better?????? Comments anyone????

Reaper948
01-28-2003, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by joflewbyu2@aol.
FACT: factory sub is 6.75" round. rear speakers are 6x8 and fronts are 6x8. i changed mine today. got kenwood kfc 6808c 3 way 6x8s for both the front and rear. rear grills pop off and 4 screws hold each speaker to the metal shelf. INTERESTING NOTE: YOU CAN SLIDE YOUR FINGERS UNDER THE CARPETED SHELF FROM THE DRIVER'S SIDE OPENING AFTER YOU REMOVE THE GRILL AND CHECK TO SEE IF YOUR FOAM WAS LEFT IN ABOVE THE 6.75" SUB SPEAKER. yes mine was there. i was able to ease my long fingers in and grab it out. it was 1" thick and about 6" x 6". made a huge difference in bass output. let me say it again, made a huge difference in bass output. the kenwoods are crystal clear (separate woofer, midrange and tweeter). the door have 2 visible screws on bottom, 1 visible screw on outside edge, 1 hidden torx behind the cover where the door handle opener is, 1 hidden screw inside - below the window covers, pull the side mirror triangle piece out (held on with clip), pull door cover UP, not out, until it is free. when replacing front speaker and reusing the oem socket screws, cut the screws down half way (via dremmel) or use a spacer as the oem have the grills glue on them and screws are to long and bottom out before the new speaker is secured. GOOD LUCK!! a world of difference. never knew it would sound this GOOD!

.....Man im really not liking how I cant find this foam.....I shoved my hand in from the back, and got the rear speaker.....but I couldn't touch the friggin Foam.....I KNOW its there, i just dont quite know where to put my hand.....Can you be more specific?.......or even put pics? Im sure PLENTY of us could use this help instead of going to the dealer to get it removed........thanks a lot

joflewbyu2
01-29-2003, 05:53 PM
reaper948, turn your radio on with the speakers faded to the front and the bass all the way up (this way it will play the sub and you won't get blown out trying to get the foam out). remove the drivers side grill by pulling up. stick your fingers between the carpeted shelf and metal rear deck going towards the passenger side - approxitmately 7 inches. you will feel a thick foam with your finger tips. if you have long asz fingers like mine, you will be able to pinch the corner and pull out. i always heard my sub, just figured it sucked until i got the foam out. now i only have the bass on 2 instead of 4. i like the deep tones. you might want to stck a 1" block/piece to hold the carpeted deck up while trying to finger it out.

Reaper948
01-29-2003, 08:39 PM
arite man Im gonna try that....thanks much!