PDA

View Full Version : Brake fluid for KVR brakes

MMM2003
11-03-2004, 11:24 AM
Hey there:

Looking for some quick info.
Finally, I'm getting around to put on my KVR front a rear brakes (OEM size) with Kevlar pads, which I bought off TAF.
The friend, who will be helping me, asked to verify the brake fluid to be used.
Do we need DOT 4 or DOT 3 fluid?
Anyone know what is recommended for the MM? Anything specific I should use, or avoid, for the KVR brakes (with SS lines)?

Thanks in advance.

Peter aka MMM2003

TAF
11-03-2004, 11:33 AM
Peter...my friend Brian made this post recently on some good advice he got from the boys over at T*am F*rd...thought this might help. :up:

Calipers are painted, rears are now black and I painted over the anodized black on the fronts so they match. Have an appointment Saturday morning 8:00 am to have the whole kit installed. My chief mechanic advised to stick with DOT3 fluid. Reason: DOT3 is organic, DOT5 is synthetic and they are not compatible. The MM and most cars with ABS and/or TC have an electronically controlled hydraulic unit that is esentially connected in parallel with the main braking system. He says there is really no way to totally purge the hydraulic unit, so you will for sure have some mixing of the 2 types of fluid. Unless you're really into racing, the DOT3 is more than adequate anyway.

MMM2003
11-03-2004, 11:46 AM
Wow. That was fast.

Ain't it great !!! MM.net and all its members rocks!!

Thanks,

Peter

Peter...my friend Brian made this post recently on some good advice he got from the boys over at T*am F*rd...thought this might help. :up: