PDA

View Full Version : Marauder Handling

Silver03MM
11-03-2004, 03:09 PM
What do you guys think of the overall handling of a stock MM?

RF Overlord
11-03-2004, 03:18 PM
I thought it was reasonably firm, with good control...but the Z&M control arms and Dennis's bigger rear sway bar REALLY make an improvement. The car corners much flatter now and feels very secure. I doubt even a Mercedes or BMW could do a lot better without some form of trick active suspension control...

jgc61sr2002
11-03-2004, 03:45 PM
I'am happy with the ride and handling. :D

CRUZTAKER
11-03-2004, 04:11 PM
I WAS not happy, as I drive the car hard in cornering and such. I made some suspension mods and am now satisfied. Could be better, but any further mods would deteriorate the already stiffer ride to a point that would just be too uncomfortable for such a large car.

Tallboy
11-03-2004, 04:30 PM
color me happy with the stock set-up.:D

jaywish
11-03-2004, 04:44 PM
I think Marauders Really could have used an independent rear.

Otherwise they are not bad at all but harsh on city streets.

I hear independent rears aren't good for drag racing but they are great for handling.

Jay

Fourth Horseman
11-03-2004, 04:50 PM
I agree that an independent rear would be ideal. After driving cars with independent rear suspensions for about 9 years it took some getting used to axle hop and such with the Marauder.

That said, I think the stock suspension is pretty nice for a car of this mass. I upgraded to the heavier Addco rear anti-sway bar and the Metco trailing control arms and I'm now very happy with how the big car shuffles around corners.

People that ride with me are always really surprised at how firm and flat it corners. The big, wide seats are more of a cornering limitation for me than the suspension now. I simply slide out of the seat when turning too hard. :)

jaywish
11-03-2004, 05:00 PM
Swami says,

I can see new sway bars in the future.

:P

wesman
11-03-2004, 05:04 PM
Going around an on ramp in my stock Marauder gave me the feeling of impending doom. After Metco upper & lowers & watts link, front & rear addcos & cut 3/4 of a front spring, I would call it a good start. Ride is still comfy, but now it likes corners.
After Legal's suspension pieces are added it should be swell. I'm not expecting a go-kart, but I want the adjustability. And I want to hurt people's feelings at the next track event.
"Why can't I catch that Marauder?"
"Dude, what Marauder?"
"WTF is a Marauder?!?"

AJAX
11-03-2004, 08:08 PM
I am very happy drove mine hard in the smokey mountains handles great with a little weight in the trunk.

:)

MENINBLK
11-03-2004, 08:15 PM
For a car that is this big and weighs what is does,
it grips the road really well around turns.

I've seen lots of people slow down on the turns that I take at a steady pace.
The handling is very good compared to a Crown Vic or a Grand Marquis.

It could use some tweaking, if you want it flatter,
and it doesn't take a whole lot to get it there either.

Marauder
11-04-2004, 07:13 AM
I was satified with the car's handling. Lowering the car did make a difference...corners much better and less body roll. Once my sway bar arrives, it should be even better. I also may go with the control arms and wider tires down the road.

MSR7878
11-04-2004, 07:31 AM
How come most of you guys only upgrade the rear anti roll (sway) bar and not both?

Cobra25
11-04-2004, 07:32 AM
I think it all depends on how you plan on driving it. If you use it as a daily driver back and forth to work and the stores it has a firm ride & handles very well. If you plan on useing it as a race car or track car or do alot of hard driving one should consider some up grades.

Amsoil_Dealer
11-04-2004, 08:34 AM
The car corners much flatter now and feels very secure. I doubt even a Mercedes or BMW could do a lot better without some form of trick active suspension control...

C'mon....you must be joking. Mercedes maybe. BMW no way. I can appreciate an improved Marauder may be vey nice but basic design differences dictate that it cannot compare to a similarly tuned BMW. IMHO BMW is the best in the world at the handling vs. ride compromise.

Don

Amsoil_Dealer
11-04-2004, 08:36 AM
How come most of you guys only upgrade the rear anti roll (sway) bar and not both?

Factories purposefully tune a little "push" or understeer into a car as this is much safer than even a nuetral car for the average driver. Bigger rear bars tend to dial the push out and make the car more nuetral.

Don

jaywish
11-04-2004, 08:44 AM
I'm confused by the last statement. I thought a rear bar would reduce oversteer/increase understeer?

:confused:

Bluerauder
11-04-2004, 09:17 AM
I like it just fine and dandy. Much firmer in the corners than the '94 Thunderbird.

TripleTransAm
11-04-2004, 09:26 AM
I'm confused by the last statement. I thought a rear bar would reduce oversteer/increase understeer?

The rear end probably has most of its mass in the body, it would seem, so tightening the axles with respect to the body probably means the axles will want to follow the body more. What you gain in terms of keeping the rear body flat (and since the rear is usually fairly connected to the front ;) thereby gaining in steering accuracy), you "lose" in having a rear end that is easier to break loose. I say "lose" in quotes, because it's nonetheless the fastest way through a sharp corner, in comparison to plowing (understeer)... it just takes a bit more skill to avoid doing something stupid once past the limit.

mcb26
11-04-2004, 09:59 AM
Happy with the stock, much better than the 300c sideways trying to stay with me on an on ramp. I don't expect it to out handle a car 1/2 its size and weight. I'll put it up against any stock car domestic or foreign its size and weight.

deerejoe
11-04-2004, 10:00 AM
I think it all depends on how you plan on driving it. If you use it as a daily driver back and forth to work and the stores it has a firm ride & handles very well. If you plan on useing it as a race car or track car or do alot of hard driving one should consider some up grades.

Well said; my thoughts exactly.
Additionally, I feel the Marauder was designed with cosmetic appeal first and then not too aggressively for (moderate) high performance road handling.

Based upon the demographic focus assumed by FOMOCO for the Marauder and the obvious budget restraints that were continually imposed, I feel the basic package is quite well done overall.

Individual owners will of course find room for enhancement.
After market add ons are available for those people.
My personal driving habits do not merit more aggressive handling enhancements and therefore am rather satisfied that the cost of such was not originally built in; which no doubt would have increased the MSRP.

TripleTransAm
11-04-2004, 10:12 AM
The only issue I have with the stock handling is a perceived underdamping of the front end shocks. I was told about this by a high-performance tire shop owner shortly after I bought my car, and close to 2 years later I think I'm finally understanding where he was coming from. Nothing dramatic: just a *hint* of more damping in the front, and it would be perfect for me. Unfortunately, I guess that's a compromise that has to be made by the factory when it comes to choosing a setting that's going to make the largest number of folks happy given the different qualities of road out there...

David Morton
11-04-2004, 12:45 PM
What do I think of the stock suspension?

A pretty good compromise between ride and handling. If I had to criticize what they did I would say they could have put heavier stabilizer bars front and rear and backed off a bit on the stiff front springs as well as smaller air suspension bags in the back. I learned a long time ago that hard springs just make a car more bouncy, it's the stabilizer bars that keep her flat in the turns.

Amsoil_Dealer
11-04-2004, 06:15 PM

You know, the more I think about it you might be right. I remember one time trying to make a pushing race car turn we disconnected the rear bar.

Now I'm confused.

Muffrauder
12-14-2005, 06:18 PM
I've heard that the M&Z trailing arms don't change anything but your pinion angle and from what I've read on here they can't even explain why they built them that way.

SergntMac
12-14-2005, 08:02 PM
I've heard that the M&Z trailing arms don't change anything but your pinion angle and from what I've read on here they can't even explain why they built them that way. C'mon now, knock it off.

hitchhiker
12-14-2005, 08:39 PM

The stock MM handles quite well.

The improvements available through vendors here provide improvement from there.

Compared to full size cars I beat on as a kid (my Dad's of course) the stock MM feels like it's on rails!

:D

merc6
12-14-2005, 09:32 PM
no where near my 6 in handeling but it still surprised the hell out of me when I threw it into a turn lift throttle expecting the rear to rotate. Never did til I gassed it next turn. I am thinking coilovers so I can adjust the height and ride for on and off road activities :) School me on the other parts...

jimlam56
12-15-2005, 05:17 AM
The stock one is pretty beefy.
I took the advice of Dennis Reinhart, who has stated in this forum that he sells far more rears than fronts.
When I was at his shop a few months back he showed me the difference in diameter between stock and aftermarket, the stock one is plenty big.
I will say that I'm very pleased with the improved handling with the rear Addco installed.

Eric91Z
12-15-2005, 06:34 AM
The suspension on my '04 Marauder is bone stock right now and I am quite pleased with it. I have driven a number of bigger cars over the years this one has the right balance between control and nice ride. And it does well when pushed and is predictable.

That being said, knowing there are upgrades available, I will be going that route. I plan on starting with the rear Addco bar. Then would like to do the Metco upper and lower control arms, then the Watts link. Depending on how that does, I would then consider the front sway bar when needed. Last upgrade will be the Naake coilover setup with QA1 shocks.

My biggest and pretty much only complaint with the car is the somewhat soft, at times, front shocks. And it does seem to ride and handle a little better at about the 1/2 tank of gas point.

Bluerauder
12-15-2005, 07:02 AM
I am also quite happy with the stock set-up. If you are gonna push the cornering to the limits.... then others have made suggestions above that will make a difference. :D

TAF
12-15-2005, 07:04 AM
I've heard that the M&Z trailing arms don't change anything but your pinion angle and from what I've read on here they can't even explain why they built them that way.

Yep........

Dennis Reinhart
12-15-2005, 08:15 AM
What do you guys think of the overall handling of a stock MM? Addco front and rear Sway Bars make a night and day difference