PDA

View Full Version : K&N

Digital Man
11-05-2004, 12:56 PM
Anyone using or plan on using K&N filters in their Marauders? Just curious.:rolleyes: I was using one on my Thunderbird and thought about on the MM.

DEFYANT
11-05-2004, 03:13 PM
I use K&N in all my cars w/ a noticeable difference. I have not got one for the MM yet. I was wondering the same thing....

fastblackmerc
11-05-2004, 03:45 PM
The K&N part number for our Marauders is 33-2272. Get the cleaning kit also. I've used K&N's on all my cars and even if you don't get more power / better gas mileage I think it's worth the extra money not to have to buy airfilters once a year. When I do a tune-up I remove the K&N first, wash it out and let it dry. It's dry by the time I'm ready oil and reinstall it. While you are replacing the airfilter, or just checking things out, how about an airbox mod?

Remove the top of the airbox (I also removed it from the intake tubing)
Remove the airfilter
Remove the 3 (I think) fastners that attach the airbox to the body
Remove the "S" shaped rubber tube
Cut out the front of the airbox (you can remove about 70 to 80% of it) I stopped just short of the attachment point and left a good 1/4 inch margin for support.
Reinstall the airbox (can't use the "S" shaped rubber tube)
Install the airfilter (K&N if you got it)
Install the top of the airbox
Install anything else you might have removed to make the job easier.

TA DAAAH!!! Your done!

Car will sound alot louder at WOT.

SergntMac
11-05-2004, 05:21 PM
Ack...

Nevermind.

CRUZTAKER
11-05-2004, 05:25 PM
Double ack...ack, ack....cutting....:shake:

Do a search, pleeeease....

RoyLPita
11-06-2004, 05:22 AM
I plan to get one when I get a MM.

mpearce
11-06-2004, 06:33 AM
I have one...just took out my stock air filter and used a K&N just for *****s and giggles. Used this part number 33-2272. Maybe it helps and maybe it doesn't. One noticeable thing is that it's thinner than stock and sags toward the bottom of the air box. The stock filter was thicker and didn't do that. Anyone else notice this? I don't like it that much and still have the stock one, just haven't gotten around to putting it back in.

-Mat

Hack Goby
11-06-2004, 07:12 AM
I had a K&N on my Crown Vic and the only difference I noticed was on a hot day with the air on the car seemed to run a little smoother than with the factory one.I have a fram Air Hog on my Marauder this time but I put it on the same day I got my chip and gear so now I am having to much fun to even care. :banana: Lidio told me that there would not be any noticeable difference but to me more air is a good thing.On the other hand Metroplex says the fine particles that get through on these filters plus the oil will gum up the works faster.There are alot of pro`s and con`s if you do a search.

bigslim
11-06-2004, 09:15 AM
I was told by Lidio that the airbox and filter on the MM is pretty good. He said in a non-supercharged MM there is really no difference.

Digital Man
11-09-2004, 01:09 PM
It is possible. I just put the K&N in $67.97 at Crappytire. However, I noticed that the stock filter said FOR MARAUDER ONLY on the side. The K&N fits any of those body style cars so for the stock filter to have that on it must mean its a little bit special. Oh well.....its bought.

Besides I have an almost brand new cleaning kit from my Thunderbird SC filter, might as well get some use out of it.

MarauderMark
11-09-2004, 02:14 PM
It is possible. I just put the K&N in $67.97 at Crappytire. However, I noticed that the stock filter said FOR MARAUDER ONLY on the side. The K&N fits any of those body style cars so for the stock filter to have that on it must mean its a little bit special. Oh well.....its bought.

Besides I have an almost brand new cleaning kit from my Thunderbird SC filter, might as well get some use out of it.

There ya go!! Have fun!!! :up:

tmac1337
11-09-2004, 03:11 PM
It is possible. I just put the K&N in $67.97 at Crappytire. However, I noticed that the stock filter said FOR MARAUDER ONLY on the side. The K&N fits any of those body style cars so for the stock filter to have that on it must mean its a little bit special.

There is nothing special about it saying Marauder Only, that just means they want you to spend more at the dealership. You can get a Fram at walmart or pepboys for a couple of bucks that fits our cars. The K&N is $50.00 and up depending on where you get it. The marauder takes the same Fram as my old 95 Grand Marquis. I had one left over and its in the marauder now. Take out the Marauder Only one and compare it to the Fram, no difference.

CRUZTAKER
11-09-2004, 04:48 PM
The best bet is to upgrade the entire box unit. Replacement of a mre paper element, no matter who makes it is basically useless.

LimoMerc
11-11-2004, 01:08 AM
When starting with the supposed 302 H.P., it is not very noticable when you gain 9-13 H.P. I put one in because I did not want to keep replacing them. Be sure and keep your O.E.M. so you can use it while your K&N dries and take it easy with the oil when you spray it or you'll have trouble from your M.A.F..
I thought I read somewhere that our O.E.M. filter is a high flow filter and if you look at the side where the air enters you will notice creases at the outer edge that I have never seen on an airfilter before and it looks to me like a well designed filter, I noticed this while taking out my K&N for cleaning and making sure the O.E.M. was fit for duty, so that may answer the "maruder only" question.