PDA

View Full Version : Shifter/Shift points/console

LightningVic
01-28-2003, 08:35 AM
I was poking through my summit catalog today, and I noticed that they sell a Hammer Shifter ( I am assuming it is the B&M) for AODE automatics (code for ours is 4R70W or something like that but I was under the assumption that this was AODE) that fit the factory mustang consoles through 2001. I feel that this would both function better and look cooler than my current factory shifter (chrome version of yours). Although I dont know that the actual gear selection would change. I am mildly irritated with my shifter because I supposedly have a 5100 RPM redline, however I have a 4900 RPM shift point. When I leave my car in 1, it shifts even earlier at about 40 miles an hour instead of the 47 im used to. Would adding the hammer shifter allow me to leave it in 1 untill I hit my rev limiter or come close to it?
Thanks in advance
Blake Stewart
P.S. Mercury marauder content
I have the same shifter and tranny as you so this applies to you too :D

RF Overlord
01-28-2003, 08:41 AM
Lightning:

I believe the shift mechanism has nothing to do with shift points, it only selects forward, reverse, etc. The shift points and redline are determined mostly by the ECM programming, with input from sensors on the trans, throttle position, etc...

SergntMac
01-28-2003, 08:46 AM
I used to do a lot of shifting when I first got my MM, but after adding the chip, the shift point all fell into place, and it's both hands on the wheel at race time.

However, the visual is attractive, may add it to my the list of appearance mods at a later time. Keep us posted?

LightningVic
01-28-2003, 01:30 PM
I will keep you guys posted, and I think it might actually be able to get the hammer to fit our console. Should be pretty cool if I ever get enough money for it.

LincMercLover
01-28-2003, 10:21 PM
It won't change the shift points, this is controlled by the computer.

Reaper948
01-30-2003, 12:42 PM
So whats this shifter look like? Can u post any pics?

LightningVic
01-30-2003, 01:25 PM
just go to B&M's website and look up the hammer shifter

SergntMac
01-30-2003, 06:12 PM
It's not polite, Lightning, to not provide a link.