PDA

View Full Version : Valve Stem warning-learn from my mistakes

danbike
11-12-2004, 08:06 AM
I am not going to name any suppliers, so I should be in compliance with the rules of posting.

:mad: I've seen the comments about custom valve caps and they brought to mind a big mistake I made 2 years ago.:mad:

I have a collection of vintage motorcycles and get about every catalog in the mail. One of the catalogs had some really neat custom valve caps in it. These were brand specific for a number of vintage bikes and then also had some general caps. Since the catalog also sold material for 4 wheelers and advertised winter riding, I figured I was safe buying a set of valve caps and putting them on my car.

Guess again! ! !:beatnik:

The caps were bare aluminum on the inside. They were made from anodized aluminum and were cut off and then bored and threaded. Well, I put them on a car in November when I checked the air pressure for the winter. In February, when I decided to check the pressure again, they had siezed on all four wheels.

I had to have the four wheels taken off of the car, the tires broken from the rim, and new stems and caps installed.:censor:

I wrote to the manufacturer and they denied any responsibility, claiming that their products are for motorcycles only, and who would ride in the winter. After a series of letters back and forth and my pointing out that there are winter 4 wheelers in their ads, they agreed to pay for the repairs. I had to write 5 letters back and forth to win.

Remember the words of the watch sergeant on Hill Street Blues:

JUST BE CAREFUL OUT THERE.

Patrick
11-12-2004, 08:56 AM
Thanks for the advice!!!!