PDA

View Full Version : Use Locktite on Caliper Bolts When Chg Pad

sailsmen
11-12-2004, 02:43 PM
Back during Easter I changed my front pads. I torqued the bolts that hold the calipers to the rotors.

2 weeks ago I heard a clicking sound from the left front at low speed when the wheel was turned hard right, inspection revealed nothing.

This week at low speed I hear the unmistakable sound of a bolt falling out. I put on the brakes to a grinding sound.

The left front caliper is grinding the rotor hat because the upper bolt fell out.

I have it towed, the service manual I am told does not mention locktite but the factory replacement bolts came with locktite. Fortunately only cosmetic damage to the rotor hat. :)

TechHeavy
11-12-2004, 03:31 PM
Back during Easter I changed my front pads. I torqued the bolts that hold the calipers to the rotors.

2 weeks ago I heard a clicking sound from the left front at low speed when the wheel was turned hard right, inspection revealed nothing.

This week at low speed I hear the unmistakable sound of a bolt falling out. I put on the brakes to a grinding sound.

The left front caliper is grinding the rotor hat because the upper bolt fell out.

I have it towed, the service manual I am told does not mention locktite but the factory replacement bolts came with locktite. Fortunately only cosmetic damage to the rotor hat. :)
Ewww! Thanks for the info! I'll be needing to do that this weekend then! Glad it worked out for ya ok, (minus the towing bill! :() ).

David Morton
11-12-2004, 06:53 PM
Use the red stuff, it's made for this high temp application.

Warpath
11-12-2004, 07:11 PM
The red stuff is nearly permanent. There is high temp medium strength stuff available. I had to search quite a bit to find it. Now that I think about it, I think its red too.

Anyway, you should always use new fasteners when making a repair. Torque specs are based on new fasteners. Corroded fasteners waste torque on friction and don't put that torque into clamping. So, you are always better off replacing fasteners. Its cheap insurance to prevent what happened to you.