PDA

View Full Version : Snow tires - my setup

CRUZTAKER
11-13-2004, 11:12 AM
With the onset of winter, again, there has been alot of threads from first time snow tire users questioning what to use.

I always add my 2c from my experience of driving my MM that first winter '02-'03 and what I used that worked wonderfully.

In late '02, a member here, I believe it was tetsu, worked up a great package noe available through Tire Rack for our Marauders. This setup is now the most popular way to go for us. For me however, the price was a bit steep for a new car owner, and I had to make due with what I had from my trade in car, a '98 Marquis.

I was never able to post pics with my recent posts, as I sold these wheels to another member here in Cleveland, and he has used them for two seasons now.

I consider my setup one of the more aggressive setups, and not so popular due to my choices and sizes. I put Gil's snows on yesterdat before my surgery, and took some pics to provide to the membership (in the gallery). The wheels after 4 years of Cleveland salt are a little worse for wear, and need sandblasted and repainted, but the tires have held up well.

My original setup utilized an all-season Regatta-II on the fronts. They were ok, but I recommend a true snow tire such as an Alpine. The rears on all of my cars are/were the Kelly Wintermark. All four were 225-60-16. Wide? Yes, but filled the wheel wells nicely. The Kelly was naturally taller as a result of the aggressive tread. A 1:1.05 front to rear runout heigth was achieved as a result. It is my opinion this ratio will be achieved with the Alpine or similar on the front as well with the Wintermarks on the rear.

With the onset of winter, again, there has been a lot of threads from first time snow tire users questioning what to use.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

I always add my 2c from my experience of driving my MM that first winter '02-'03 and what I used that worked wonderfully.<o:p></o:p>

In late '02, a member here, I believe it was tetsu, worked up a great package now available through Tire Rack for our Marauders. This setup is now the most popular way to go for us. For me however, the price was a bit steep for a new car owner, and I had to make due with what I had from my trade in car, a '98 Marquis.<o:p></o:p>

I was never able to post pics with my recent posts, as I sold these wheels to another member here in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Cleveland</st1:place></st1:City>, and he has used them for two seasons now.<o:p></o:p>

I consider my setup one of the more aggressive setups, and not so popular due to my choices and sizes. I put Gil's snows on yesterday before my surgery, and took some pics to provide to the membership (in the gallery). The wheels after 4 years of <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Cleveland</st1:place></st1:City> salt are a little worse for wear, and need sandblasted and repainted, but the tires have held up well.<o:p></o:p>

My original setup utilized an all-season Regatta-II on the fronts. They were ok, but I recommend a true snow tire such as an Alpine. The rears on all of my cars are/were the Kelly Wintermark. All four were 225-60-16. Wide? Yes, but filled the wheel wells nicely. The Kelly was naturally taller as a result of the aggressive tread. A 1:1.05 front to rear run out height was achieved as a result. It is my opinion this ratio will be achieved with the Alpine or similar on the front as well with the Wintermarks on the rear. <o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

CRUZTAKER
11-13-2004, 11:18 AM
Here are pics of the KELLY WINTERMARK I speak of. The are one of the most aggressive winter tires out there. The size 225-60-16 usually must be ordered. I suggest going to a Kelly tire dealer rather than a generic retailer for ease of ordering.

They are only $89 each, a great price for a great tire. They are studdable for an average of $12-$15 each.

They are shown mounted on '98 Mercury Marquis steel 16" rims.

http://www.mercurygallery.net/mmnet/data/500/627Kelly_tread_-_studded-med.jpg

http://www.mercurygallery.net/mmnet/data/500/627Kelly_on_Marquis_rim-med.jpg

DEFYANT
11-13-2004, 11:20 AM
Are snow tires really necessary? I have been driving Police Interceptors for many years in all kinds of bad weather w/out snow tires. Addmittedly, when the white stuff piles up, we get Jeeps w/4X4s to drive, but the snow has to really pile up. When it is that bad, the MM wont be on the road anyway. No car should with or w/out snow tires

CRUZTAKER
11-13-2004, 11:24 AM
For the folks still inquiring about the Bridgestone Blizzacks, here are some pics.

These are what I utilize on the front of all of my cars. The following pics show these tires mounted to 16" Ford Crown Vic steel wheels.

I like the Blizzacks a lot, and they were cheaper than the Alpines.

http://www.mercurygallery.net/mmnet/data/500/627Alpine_on_Vic_rim-med.jpg

http://www.mercurygallery.net/mmnet/data/500/627Arctic_tread-med.jpg

QWK SVT
11-13-2004, 03:03 PM
http://www.mercurygallery.net/mmnet/data/500/627Kelly_tread_-_studded-med.jpg

http://www.mercurygallery.net/mmnet/data/500/627Kelly_on_Marquis_rim-med.jpg
Good Lord! That lloks almost like an offroad tire:eek: Bet it'll handle snow well... How is it for road noise, though?

CRUZTAKER
11-13-2004, 06:42 PM
Good Lord! That lloks almost like an offroad tire:eek: Bet it'll handle snow well... How is it for road noise, though?
Yes, increased road noise. Studs make traction on WOT on dry pavement a little squirrly.

Beating a GT in a street race in the summer is cool....beating a 4WD Jeep 4.0 in 6 inches of snow is priceless.:P

BillyGman
11-13-2004, 07:26 PM
Are snow tires really necessary? When it is that bad, the MM wont be on the road anyway. No car should with or w/out snow tiresThe Michelin Arctic Alpine snowtires that I have for all four corners made a major difference in snow traction (without studs) on my Marauder last winter. But since Michelin has halted production of these tires, then when these wear out for me, then I'll be purchasing 4 Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50 tires. I've heard good things about snow traction with them. And you don't need studs w/those tires either. That isn't to say that the Wintermark tires aren't any good. I cannot claim anything about them since I've never used them. barry seems to like them, so I have no reason to dispute his claims.

CRUZTAKER
11-13-2004, 07:39 PM
Yup Billy....my whole purpose here was to share what I learned. Not to advocate one or the other.

BillyGman
11-13-2004, 07:45 PM
Yup Billy....my whole purpose here was to share what I learned. Not to advocate one or the other.
Of that I am quite sure of Barry (no sarcasm intended). Thanks for your input.

Ken
11-13-2004, 08:01 PM
Beating a GT in a street race in the summer is cool....beating a 4WD Jeep 4.0 in 6 inches of snow is priceless.:P

:rofl: :bows: :bows: You da man, Barry!! :rock:

Ken

rayjay
11-14-2004, 01:18 AM
Are snow tires really necessary? I have been driving Police Interceptors for many years in all kinds of bad weather w/out snow tires. Addmittedly, when the white stuff piles up, we get Jeeps w/4X4s to drive, but the snow has to really pile up. When it is that bad, the MM wont be on the road anyway. No car should with or w/out snow tires
Defyant, up here in snow country all patrol units from all agencies use snow tires. Its an absolute must, even on the Impalas.

CRUZTAKER
11-14-2004, 08:19 AM
Defyant, up here in snow country all patrol units from all agencies use snow tires. Its an absolute must, even on the Impalas.
Same here in the Buckeye, mandatory.

All OSP units will be ptting on their winter shoes on in the next week or so.
Nearly all of our local municipalities do as well.

tetsu
11-16-2004, 09:44 AM
The Michelin Arctic Alpine snowtires that I have for all four corners made a major difference in snow traction (without studs) on my Marauder last winter. But since Michelin has halted production of these tires, then when these wear out for me, then I'll be purchasing 4 Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50 tires. I've heard good things about snow traction with them. And you don't need studs w/those tires either. That isn't to say that the Wintermark tires aren't any good. I cannot claim anything about them since I've never used them. barry seems to like them, so I have no reason to dispute his claims.

I used those WS-50s on other vehicles for Wisconsin winter driving. They are good tires, but the ice compound on them disappears with the smallest amount of dry pavement driving even with a light foot.

My Artic Alpins are about to start their third season and they are still on the outer compound and sipes are still looking good... (Though I didn't drive it alot the last two winters.)

Boy, are my stock BFGs getting thin on the rears though...hehe...can't figure out why!!!!

-Johnny