PDA

View Full Version : Xm Radio

Captdavid
01-28-2003, 06:10 PM
What is a XM Radio? Has anyone installed a C0?

RF Overlord
01-28-2003, 06:16 PM
Dave:

XM and Sirius are satellite radio services...kinda like Dish Network or EchoStar for your car.

Or Music Choice if you have digital cable (end blatant sales plug) :banned:

martyo
01-28-2003, 06:19 PM
RF:

How long a cable will I need to get Music Choice in my car???

james_hart6
01-28-2003, 08:36 PM
I put a Cobra 75 in my MM.

The '75 has all of the controls (and speaker) built into the handset, and that plugs into a control module that I mounted in the glove box using existing screws.

I'm using a K-40 trunk side mount antenna that disassembles for storage in the trunk when not in use. Only problem with antenna is that it hits my overhead garage door if I leave it up.

I've not mounted the handset of the CB - haven't figured out a way w/o disfiguring dashboard which I am loath to do. Not to mention that it's bloody well been cold around here ;) .

The Cobra I bought off of the web a couple of years ago for under $100, the antenna I bought locally for about $60 this summer.

Running the cable from the trunk through the car was the hard part; I had some help from members of this forum and others on Crownvic.net - there is a VERY small hole about 4-5" down on the driver's side rear seat which can be accessed by pushing the back seat away from the edge of the car. Run a coat hanger from within the car into the trunk and then attach the cable end to the coat hanger with tape. Pull the coat hanger back through and the cable will come with it. Much easier than taking out the entire backseat. (I put a flashlight in the trunk to highlight the hole once I pushed the seat out of the way. The hole JUST allows enough room to get the antenna cable through).

HTH

Jim

LincMercLover
01-28-2003, 09:11 PM
Hmm... live in the house, or live in the MM...?

I don't listen to the radio much, unless I'm on the highway. So, I could give a rats patute less about weighting the car down with additional amps, subs, speakers, radios, antennas, etc... Hell, a single speaker radio would do me fine (1966 has a two speaker (F&R) AM, yah buddy! :up: ). I believe my stocker will stay, adds value to the car. ;)

RF Overlord
01-29-2003, 07:39 AM
LML:

My Buick only has ONE speaker (in the dash), but at least it's FM!

:rock:

smith5365
01-29-2003, 10:58 PM
Watch where you run cables through holes in sheet metal portions of your car. Vibration over months of time will cut into the cable and short out the outer conductor which may or may not be a problem. We used gromets in the holes in the aircraft I helped build years ago to prevent this problem. You may want to think about wrapping electrical tape around the cable where it goes through the hole (sounds like some pre-planning required) to at least slow down the cutting process on the cable. Those of us that drive old cars have seen some of this kind of problem after 10 or 15 years of use.

james_hart6
01-30-2003, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by smith5365
Watch where you run cables through holes in sheet metal portions of your car. Vibration over months of time will cut into the cable and short out the outer conductor which may or may not be a problem...You may want to think about wrapping electrical tape around the cable where it goes through the hole (sounds like some pre-planning required)..

Roger that - I shoulda mentioned it, just took it for granted that one would 'sleeve' the cable before running through the access hole. Thanks for pickin' up after me! ;)

Putting a grommet in would difficult as access is tight, but Home Depot, etc., sell plastic sleeves of various diameters to protect wires and cables. Just run the cable, then place the sleeve over the cable (from the trunk is easier) and run it up to and into the access hole...

Probably not much vibration going on - the antenna cable is pretty secure once it's run down the side of the seat - but sleeving the cable costs next to nothing.

Jim

smith5365
01-30-2003, 01:16 PM
Way to go! Sacrificial "anodes" are still in vogue.

martyo
01-30-2003, 02:01 PM
I use the anodes on my boats all the time.