PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust

Kramer
11-14-2004, 05:32 AM
I reviewed many of the old posts on Flowmaster and Magnaflow...and it seemed that the opinions were evenly split.

I would like to change the exhaust on my car to give it a nice and deep external rumble. I am not interested in a significant increased interrior noise or drone.

Since a lot of time has passed since some of those old posts were made, I thought I'd ask for an update to see what people had done and if they were satisified with the results.

For those in maryland, any one with a recommendation on a good place to have this mod done, would be appreciated.

SergntMac
11-14-2004, 06:40 AM
IMHO, the cabin drone is somewhat unavoidable, it's the result of the vibration native to exhaust exytems at large. You're not only hearing a drone, you are feeling it vibrate through your bones. The OEM exhaust system is smaller in OD, allowing for more space between the floor pan and exhaust pipes, and system hangers are rubber mounted as well. The OEM mufflers are triple walled, and the OEM tips are likewise (obviously) insulated. This serves to minimize vibration and move that noise out the rear of the pipe.

Changing the exhaust system to a larger OD pipe places it closer to the floor pan. Aftermarket mufflers are single walled, and the "resonator delete" tips are likewise (obviously) less insulated. The OEM hangars are usually brought over in the install, but often relocated or modified in a manner that reduces their effectiveness. All of this adds up to a louder exhaust tone, and remarkable increase in vibration without management.

Do you homework for your selection and get a quality professional install, and you should be able to contain a lot of this vibration. I know for a fact that extending the tip another inch past the rear bumper cover reduces interior drone, and some will suggest that Dynamat is another simple mod to quiet things down.

martyo
11-14-2004, 06:52 AM
I know for a fact that extending the tip another inch past the rear bumper cover reduces interior drone, and some will suggest that Dynamat is another simple mod to quiet things down.

These two things are relatively simple fixes that DO work. Steve B. told me that the reason that the tips were not extended further on the stock cars was because the cars would not pass the "pendulum" test and would suffer too much damage is a slow speed rear impact.

Cobra25
11-14-2004, 07:26 AM
I reviewed many of the old posts on Flowmaster and Magnaflow...and it seemed that the opinions were evenly split.

I would like to change the exhaust on my car to give it a nice and deep external rumble. I am not interested in a significant increased interrior noise or drone.

Since a lot of time has passed since some of those old posts were made, I thought I'd ask for an update to see what people had done and if they were satisified with the results.

For those in maryland, any one with a recommendation on a good place to have this mod done, would be appreciated. You might want to pm TMAC1337. He has put in a set of Ford Racing Mufflers in his Marauder. He also has a post on them. I've heard them and they sound great. No dorne inside car and on the out side then have a real deep rumble sound.

Haggis
11-14-2004, 08:07 AM
For those in maryland, any one with a recommendation on a good place to have this mod done, would be appreciated.

Kramer, I will Pm you my number call me this evening. I have the complete DR exhaust + 18" Magnaflows (Non-baffled) with either deleted tips or OEM tips (my choice).

CRUZTAKER
11-14-2004, 08:07 AM
If you just want to change the note a little, start with new non-resonated Megs tips first.

They actually change the note quite nicely. Easier and cheaper than mufflers, try it first, that may be all you need to achieve the sound you desire.

If you do try this, have the installer add a 2" piece of pipe the the tips, and have the tips stick out from the rear bumper an additional inch and a half or more.

Patrick
11-14-2004, 08:42 AM
I have the FlowMasters with the the two chamber non-ported on mine and yes it does that drone thing but not bad. But the tone is sweet!!!!!!!!!

tmac1337
11-14-2004, 09:38 AM
Do a search for the "Dual mode muffler" thread. No drone. Screams WOT.

rumble
11-14-2004, 11:17 AM

You know, we have jabbered a lot on this site about exhaust tone
and I guess it all boils down to personal preference. What is one
man's pleasure is another man's poison. I have the supposedly
"loud" and "with drone" Flowmaster 40's and I love em but my hearing
is not real sharp so maybe that's the reason. I don't find them objectionable
at all but the next guy might, and in spades too.

With as many MM's as we have on the road now you might think about finding some one with the set up your looking for and actually drive and listen to it before you plunk down the cash. Just one man's opinion.

Patrick
11-14-2004, 05:28 PM
You know, we have jabbered a lot on this site about exhaust tone
and I guess it all boils down to personal preference. What is one
man's pleasure is another man's poison. I have the supposedly
"loud" and "with drone" Flowmaster 40's and I love em but my hearing
is not real sharp so maybe that's the reason. I don't find them objectionable
at all but the next guy might, and in spades too.

With as many MM's as we have on the road now you might think about finding some one with the set up your looking for and actually drive and listen to it before you plunk down the cash. Just one man's opinion.

Very sound advice!!!

Glenn
11-14-2004, 09:46 PM
I am a small minority on using the OEM mufflers and tips. But, I have a very good sound and NO cabin drone at 70-80 mph. My system includes SS & ceramic coated Cobra shorty headers, SS Cobra X-pipe and hi-flow CATS connected to the stock mufflers. Car's best is 14.00 at SSHS4 at 281 HP. With a decent driver at the wheel it is easily a 13.9 car.

Glenn

rumble
11-15-2004, 03:50 PM
I am a small minority on using the OEM mufflers and tips. But, I have a very good sound and NO cabin drone at 70-80 mph. My system includes SS & ceramic coated Cobra shorty headers, SS Cobra X-pipe and hi-flow CATS connected to the stock mufflers. Car's best is 14.00 at SSHS4 at 281 HP. With a decent driver at the wheel it is easily a 13.9 car.

Glenn

Glenn, you make my case. Different strokes for different folks.

I guess that's why they make so many different brands of beer.