PDA

View Full Version : Flowmaster Super 40 Mufflers*

Cobra25
11-15-2004, 05:47 AM
I was wondering if any body has had these mufflers installed on their Marauder's and if so what do they think about them?

Merc-O-matic
01-31-2006, 09:42 AM
Had a pair of Flowmaster Super 40's installed on my car
yesterday. "sweetest sound this side of heaven". Highly
recommend them to anyone. No drone....pure music to the ears.
Part #952446 O/C 2 1/4"

Gotta Love It!:pimp:

MaLo03
01-31-2006, 10:02 AM
Al, were did you get these done at? I've heard of these and want to hear yours. I'm going to call you

MarauderMarc
01-31-2006, 10:34 AM
Yes, how do they sound??? I hate my Magnaflow 14" with my Kooks setup. Do the Flowmasters sound good with the Kooks setup? I was going to go with the FRPP dual modes. You changing your setup Z?

Rider90
01-31-2006, 10:42 AM
I was considering them, but went with Spintech instead.

magindat
01-31-2006, 10:45 AM
Yes, how do they sound??? I hate my Magnaflow 14" with my Kooks setup. Do the Flowmasters sound good with the Kooks setup? I was going to go with the FRPP dual modes. You changing your setup Z?

You need the 18's.

Cobra25
01-31-2006, 11:15 AM
Yes, how do they sound??? I hate my Magnaflow 14" with my Kooks setup. Do the Flowmasters sound good with the Kooks setup? I was going to go with the FRPP dual modes. You changing your setup Z? Marc this is a old thread look at the date 11-15-04. I put the Flowmasters Super 40's in and 5 days later I took them out. They sounded nice but wasn't for me. I sold them to SoulRiot and I had them put in for him. If I were going to change my mufflers again I'd go with the Ford Racing Duel mode mufflers. PM me for a Phone # to purchase them if interested.

MarauderMarc
01-31-2006, 01:04 PM
But to they have that deep throaty sound? I dont like the higher sound that mine has.

Merc-O-matic
01-31-2006, 01:20 PM
But to they have that deep throaty sound? I dont like the higher sound that mine has.

Has a nice DEEP throaty sound like the old time "Hot Rods from the 60's & 70's
It makes the statement...."this car aint your grandmother's Marquis"!
Big..Black..and Bad!

Gotta Love It!:pimp:

MaLo03
01-31-2006, 07:35 PM
Has a nice DEEP throaty sound like the old time "Hot Rods from the 60's & 70's
It makes the statement...."this car aint your grandmother's Marquis"!
Big..Black..and Bad!
Yeaaaaah Bebe

Marauder386
01-31-2006, 07:46 PM
Been running FRP dual modes for a while now...LOVE THEM !

:coolman:

MarauderTJA
01-31-2006, 08:27 PM
I was wondering if any body has had these mufflers installed on their Marauder's and if so what do they think about them?

I had a set on my Marauder. With the stock exhaust they sounded great. But after I went with the DR Cobra Manifolds and exhaust they were way to loud and additionally had terrible drone on the highway. I went back to Delta 50's and I have been very happy with overall sound as well as no drone on the highway. Also added the Megs delete tips.

Blackmobile
01-31-2006, 08:30 PM
I put the Flowmaster Super 40's in shortly after I got the MM. They sound nice to me and everyone else around me, but honestly I thought they would be louder. But it's not just the mufflers as so much the combination of the delete tips that make the sound complete.

Cobra25
02-01-2006, 06:31 AM
I had a set on my Marauder. With the stock exhaust they sounded great. But after I went with the DR Cobra Manifolds and exhaust they were way to loud and additionally had terrible drone on the highway. I went back to Delta 50's and I have been very happy with overall sound as well as no drone on the highway. Also added the Megs delete tips. I have the Cobra Manifolds & exhaust too, and found the same thing as Tom. Way too load & they had alot drone too. On a stock exhaust I'm sure they would be better.

merc6
02-01-2006, 08:17 AM
I have the 18" magnaflows...
http://www.msprotege.com/members/Da%206/vids/IMG_0398.ASF for vid
http://www.msprotege.com/members/Da%206/vids/IMG_0391.ASF for in car with K&N FPIC

juno
02-01-2006, 10:21 AM
So how do the Ford Dual modes rank in restrictiveness compared to the Flowmasters and such?

StevenJ
02-01-2006, 10:41 AM
Hey Merc six, you got delete tips by chance? My car has magnas and the CAI too, just like yours and it isn't that loud. I can sometimes hear it at idle if it's in neutral and no other car is around.

merc6
02-01-2006, 10:43 AM
no delete tips...just intake and mufflers. it's like that once you leave the 2300 rpm range or starting off. Radio is still audible. Also if I remote start it right now I could hear it start from the 8th floor but not hear it idle.

StevenJ
02-01-2006, 10:49 AM
no delete tips...just intake and mufflers. it's like that once you leave the 2300 rpm range or starting off. Radio is still audible. Also if I remote start it right now I could hear it start from the 8th floor but not hear it idle.

Odd, I know my car has mags but I don't now if they ar 18 or 14. The original owner had em installed so I don't know. I'll have to get under the car and measure. My car doesn't sound quiet like that. It has a loud whine at 5000-61000 rpm. You made sure to disconnect the negative battery cable after you installed the K&N kit with the tune installed right? You know you are supposed to do that. I forgot to do that after I had my tune installed from lidio and I ran my car for months with the a/f ratio set for a stock airbox. Then one day, I decided to pull the wire and it was liken an instant 15 extra hp at full throttle. I felt like such an idiot for not doing it sooner! It regained that loud raspy sound at full throttle too.

merc6
02-01-2006, 10:58 AM
Does it count if I went stock tune and went back? wasn't our pcms a learning one? Guess I'll go experiment now...

StevenJ
02-01-2006, 11:12 AM
Does it count if I went stock tune and went back? wasn't our pcms a learning one? Guess I'll go experiment now...
What you have to do is have the new tune installed, once it's install it is installed. Pulling the battery cable will not make it reset to factory tune because the SCT tuners write completely over the facotry settings. So when you pull the battery cable, it will adjust the a/f for the new tune. I've done it so I know what to expect. Leave the cable disconnected for tewnty minutes or so. Then when you reinstall the cable and restart the engine let the car sit in idle for a few minutes. The car will need time to readjust and you'll notice it too. The car will idle around 1500-2000 rpms for the first start. Just let it sit there for a few minutes, rev the engine a bit. After a minute or two, shut off off the car then restart the car. After that it should be back to normal and the a/f ratio will be properly adjusted.

merc6
02-01-2006, 11:26 AM
was 20 mins to drain the capasitors? Turning the key to start and pumping brakes also speed that process up. I'll go now and see what happens.

StevenJ
02-01-2006, 11:28 AM
was 20 mins to drain the capasitors? Turning the key to start and pumping brakes also speed that process up. I'll go now and see what happens.
That's what it says on the K&N instruction sheet. It's not to drain the capasitors, it's to reset the computer. That's the whole point of doing it. Oh yeah, you'll loose your radio and clock settings. Minor down side but still.

merc6
02-01-2006, 11:31 AM
Ok i'll do that then. I'll shoot new vids afrerwards.

Rider90
02-01-2006, 11:48 AM
Yep. This thread needs videos.

MarauderMarc
02-01-2006, 12:10 PM
Heres a video of my first startup with the Kooks and 14" Magnaflows.

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/showimage.php?i=1287&c=3&userid=3754

BruteForce
02-01-2006, 12:27 PM
Dewd! Your filming from the wrong end of the car! The music is in the rear. :lol:

merc6
02-01-2006, 12:55 PM
Seing I had alot of time on my hands I decided to pull both terminals to find out they were gunked up. Luckily I had electrical cleaner and dielectric conetor grease handy. then I went and wiped the engine covers and other minor parts down and wiped brake dust off steelies. Started it up and it idiled as said it would. once it stabilized I shut it off then back on. After waiting 9 mins for the traffic to let me out the parking lot I made a few vids. lil bit of improvement but I'm gonna let the car learn before I make a full judgement. Site currently won't let me upload them! I used the othert site and they don't alow me acces at work. The inside vid I did earlier I realized the driver and passenger windows was cracked. I'm off to work I'll post em in the morning...err evening.

StevenJ
02-01-2006, 12:58 PM
Yeah like I said, it won't be huge. You only notice it from 4500-6100 but it is there. Can't wait for the vids!

merc6
02-02-2006, 12:52 PM
I didn't have a vid of me in freeway cause The times I work involve D.C. traffic so there is not room for play. Wish I had someone to hold camera so I could get a under load outside. I have a stock freeway vid windows closed to compare but I'm waiting to get a now freeway vid to post it.

http://www.msprotege.com/members/Da%206/vids/IMG_0406.ASF WOT Windows cracked.

http://www.msprotege.com/members/Da%206/vids/IMG_0407.ASF WOT Windows closed.

http://www.msprotege.com/members/Da%206/vids/IMG_0409.ASF Normal drive with windows cracked.

http://www.msprotege.com/members/Da%206/vids/IMG_0410.ASF Rev windows closed..but I doubt it would make a difrence ;)

http://www.msprotege.com/members/Da%206/vids/IMG_0393.ASF Rev windows closed.

P.S you like the shaved badge key? Ford dealership in texas decided to hook me up with the new mod :rolleyes:

StevenJ
02-02-2006, 06:11 PM
I don't knotice a difference as far as the key. BTW, do you still notice a difference in performance? I don't notice it as much as I did at first. You sure you car has the K&N CAI kit and magnaflow 18s with no tips? My car has the same set up and it sounds a good bit different under full throttle. Then again, it may just be the sound quality of your video. There may be some static.

merc6
02-04-2006, 09:26 AM
yas as stated but with factory megs :)

heres the interior vid with no mods to get a feel of what the camera picks up.

http://www.msprotege.com/members/Da%206/vids/IMG_0344.ASF time date and place left unkonwn

67435animal
02-04-2006, 03:24 PM

I had them on mine. There is a drone around 2500 RPM. My wife complained for two years. I took them off last fall and installed Magnflows. They are OK but nowhere near as agressive sounding as the Flowmaster 40s.

The sound of my 67 Olds 442 was deep and throaty. I don't think I'd call the sound of the MM deep and throaty. How about we just say that it sounds tough and aggressive by today's standards.