PDA

View Full Version : Blizzak Tires on Steel Rims as per Tirerack.com

dansenander
11-18-2004, 02:44 PM
I received my new Blizzak's today. They are the recommended (http://www.tirerack.com/snow/WinterTireCompare.jsp?sortSize =16&snowSortCode=18902&autoYear=2003&autoMake=Mercury&autoModel=Marauder&autoModClar=&winterType=CD&frontWidth=225/&frontRatio=60&frontDiameter=16&frontSortCode=45850&rearWidth=235/&rearRatio=65&rearDiameter=16&rearSortCode=46250&startIndex=0&search=true&performance=W) setup from www.tirerack.com (http://www.tirerack.com/) for our cars.

The Ford emblems were lightly ground off but still visible. I had heard there was issues with using CVPI hubcaps on these rims. I never found a conclusion. Anyone know the anwser?

$$$ Cost was $615 mounted and balanced with rubber stems and shipped to my door.

The rears are larger than the fronts. I will post pics when I get them on the car and a review when we get some snow and ice.

Here are some pics for anyone who is interested.

2003DOHC
11-18-2004, 05:16 PM
You will be very pleased with the Blizzaks I have used them for many years with excellent results.

CRUZTAKER
11-18-2004, 05:37 PM
Agreed.....I use them for front applications and have been pleased.

rayjay
11-18-2004, 07:35 PM
I received my new Blizzak's today. They are the recommended (http://www.tirerack.com/snow/WinterTireCompare.jsp?sortSize =16&snowSortCode=18902&autoYear=2003&autoMake=Mercury&autoModel=Marauder&autoModClar=&winterType=CD&frontWidth=225/&frontRatio=60&frontDiameter=16&frontSortCode=45850&rearWidth=235/&rearRatio=65&rearDiameter=16&rearSortCode=46250&startIndex=0&search=true&performance=W) setup from www.tirerack.com (http://www.tirerack.com/) for our cars.

The Ford emblems were lightly ground off but still visible. I had heard there was issues with using CVPI hubcaps on these rims. I never found a conclusion. Anyone know the anwser?

$$$ Cost was $615 mounted and balanced with rubber stems and shipped to my door.

The rears are larger than the fronts. I will post pics when I get them on the car and a review when we get some snow and ice.

Check out this thread http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=13765

MENINBLK
11-18-2004, 10:29 PM

How did you get them shipped to your door for that price ?
Is there a promotion for FREE SHIPPING ???

MMM2003
11-19-2004, 06:15 AM

That is a nice looking setup with some great snow tires, good steel rims and an excellent price for the package. Best of all, MM.net benefits from your puchase as well. Thank you!!

dansenander
11-19-2004, 02:25 PM
It was their standard price. Not on sale. Search www.tirerack.com (http://www.tirerack.com) under winter tires and then click on packages.

If I remember right, the rims were $50 each and the tires were around 100 each.
I havn't put them on yet, but the price, service and shipping time was very nice.

I did shop around and you can't beat their price.

I had concidered using 18" Blizzaks on the factory rims, but the cost of mount and balance in the fall and then again in the spring was almost as much as buying the extra set of rims. Plus the summer tires will last that much longer and the rims will not gat all beat up.

Roger D
11-19-2004, 07:36 PM
I also bought the same set-up from the TR - 3 days for delivery to CT.

Because I'd hate the black steelies on the Silver Marauder, on Monday I'm taking the tires and rims to be painted the same color as the JP paint code for the Silver Marauder. Both sides of each rim will be painted with the tires mounted, to reduce the chance of scratching the Silver paint by mounting the tires after the painting (aluminum template will be used to mask the tire while being sprayed).

Still, the painted rims will be a distant second to the remarkably stunning factory wheels - but it was the best solution I could find for driving throught the ice, snow, slush, sand and salt of the next 4+ months.

Regards,

Roger D

BillyGman
11-20-2004, 01:13 AM
Is there any particular reason why the same size tire can't be used on all four corners?

rayjay
11-20-2004, 07:24 AM
I bought the tirerack package using WinterForce tires as their tread appeared very aggressive for snow driving, which is more a problem for me than ice. My package was $472 delivered. Hard to beat that price.

dansenander
11-20-2004, 09:23 AM
Is there any particular reason why the same size tire can't be used on all four corners?
In my opinion, the only difference is you will lose the raked look and get more of a Police Interceptor look.

If you search tirerack under CVPI you will get all 4 tires the same.

QWK SVT
11-20-2004, 10:30 AM
In my opinion, the only difference is you will lose the raked look and get more of a Police Interceptor look.

If you search tirerack under CVPI you will get all 4 tires the same.
The answer is, "it depends."

For most 300As there's no traction control (except Canadian ones), so they'll be fine.

But, for any MM with traction control, it's a whole other story. You'll need to keep the 1:1.05 front to back, or turn off the traction control (defeating the whole purpose). With 4 of the same-sized tires, the computer will think there is too much slippage (as they would now be spinning at the same rate, unlike before). To correct the slippage, it will start to flip out, and shut your progress down at 45mph! Not good...

CRUZTAKER
11-20-2004, 11:41 AM
I used all four same size and kept the raked look, AND the 1:1.05 runout.HERE (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=13915&highlight=snow+tires)

BillyGman
11-20-2004, 12:05 PM
That's what I thought. I did away with the raked look, and got an alignment done, since I don't care for the raked look myself, and my car doesn't have traction control.

dansenander
11-20-2004, 03:26 PM
That's what I thought. I did away with the raked look, and got an alignment done, since I don't care for the raked look myself, and my car doesn't have traction control.
Maybe I'm missing something here, but how can the Traction Control know what the front tires are doing? I am not aware of any sensors there. Could it read off of the anti-lock brake sensors?

I do beleive this would be true if the rear wheel were different sizes, but the fronts? Hmmm.

TripleTransAm
11-20-2004, 03:54 PM
The TC probably uses the ABS sensors all around. This way, it can calculate the front wheel speeds and the rear wheel speeds, and it has to see the required ratio between both speeds because it's been programmed to know that the Marauder has different circumference tires front and back. Put equal sized tires all around and all of a sudden the front wheels are rotating slower than they used to, as compared to the rear wheels... which makes it think that the rear wheels are spinning... which makes it panic.

As long as you have the front tires spinning 1.05 times faster than the rears, no matter what the actual sizes, the TC is happy.

jgc61sr2002
11-20-2004, 04:31 PM
The TC probably uses the ABS sensors all around. This way, it can calculate the front wheel speeds and the rear wheel speeds, and it has to see the required ratio between both speeds because it's been programmed to know that the Marauder has different circumference tires front and back. Put equal sized tires all around and all of a sudden the front wheels are rotating slower than they used to, as compared to the rear wheels... which makes it think that the rear wheels are spinning... which makes it panic.

As long as you have the front tires spinning 1.05 times faster than the rears, no matter what the actual sizes, the TC is happy.

Steve - Well said. :up:

MENINBLK
11-20-2004, 08:08 PM
It was their standard price. Not on sale. Search www.tirerack.com (http://www.tirerack.com) under winter tires and then click on packages.

If I remember right, the rims were $50 each and the tires were around 100 each.
I havn't put them on yet, but the price, service and shipping time was very nice.

I did shop around and you can't beat their price.

I had concidered using 18" Blizzaks on the factory rims, but the cost of mount and balance in the fall and then again in the spring was almost as much as buying the extra set of rims. Plus the summer tires will last that much longer and the rims will not gat all beat up.

I did this and they want to ship them to me for an additional $65 !

How did you get away with FREE SHIPPING ?

EbonyMarauder03
11-21-2004, 09:37 AM
I got my snowtire and wheel package last month. I mounted them myself at work. If you want to use the pi centercaps you will also need new lug nuts. Part number F8AZ-1012-AA. The pi caps are all metal and snap onto the lug nuts. Fortunately I was able to acquire a used set from a local township. They saved me a nice chuck of change. I knew they had extras since I was helping them convert pi's to civilian versions for dectectives. :rolleyes: :P ;)

Since my MM is stock except for a panel K&N filter I've noticed better acceleration since the tires altered the final ratio compared to the stock tires. I miss my stock tires though....I miss cornering at higher speeds. I'll post some pics after I clean my ride up.

dansenander
11-21-2004, 09:56 AM
That is a nice looking setup with some great snow tires, good steel rims and an excellent price for the package. Best of all, MM.net benefits from your puchase as well. Thank you!!
You are corrct, my origional post was wrong. The actual cost to my door was $712.68.
Sorry for the confusion.