PDA

View Full Version : How Long Will It Last: 518 RWHP Mach1 w/ProCharger

FordNut
11-21-2004, 02:52 PM
Stock block, ProCharger F1-A, 11 lb boost, 11 degrees timing, 518 RWHP.

How long is this bottom end going to hold up?

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18791

SergntMac
11-21-2004, 03:18 PM
Wow! Almost unbelieveable, eh?

Now that I have my engine out and have had my fingers (and eyes) on the stock internals, I have to say that 500+ RWHP is quite possible with a stock Intech 4V engine, and they have proven this. Durability? Longevity? Only time will tell, and there is a lot more ahead to...Umm..."meter out?"

AFR is the critical key to it all, tuning is everything. You would think that 11 pounds of boost with a centrifugal blower is on the edge, but many of the roots based cars among us are above 11 PSI. I think Lidio is pushing 13 PSI? So, if all things we know and consider in this are true, I'd guess that it's not a matter of the bottom end, but more a matter of keeping the head gaskets in place. If 500 + RWHP is possible with 11 PSI, and safely, there's going to be a lot of us out in our garages over this coming winter.

At least they made it through two dyno pulls, and you got to love them for going for it.

BillyGman
11-21-2004, 09:15 PM
I agree w/MAC's statement about the Air/Fuel ratio being important. I'd also like to point out though that according to what I've been told by a knowledgeable engine tuner, along w/the AFR being important, the ignition timing advance curve is even more important to the life of engine's equipped w/any forced induction which ofcourse includes S/Cing.

MikesMerc
11-22-2004, 04:20 AM
Your dead on billy.

Although the total amount of boost is indeed important to total power output, the timing and fuel curves play a HUGE role on where your power ends up.

example: on 100% equivalent motors, a car making 10 PSI of boost can make much more power with a lean fuel curve and advanced iginition timing than a 13 PSI car with more fuel and less timing.

I've been into forced induction for quite a few years now, and I can comment from first hand experience. The power the Mach 1 makes in the sited thread really isn't too impressive at all actually. His tune is definitely too aggressive and the motor will eventually burn down. To make 500+ hp on only 11 PSI is nuts. Its a time bomb.

And this has NOTHING to do with whether the stock block can handle 500+ hp.

The better way to make 500+ hp, assuming the stock block will live as long as the owner wants under that power level, is to run 13+ PSI with a richer fuel curve and much less ignitiion.

But, when you do that, you end up with power gains from 11 PSI that are much less "impressive" to those that do not know any better;) I'm glad they are planning on a new block. It'll grenade from detonation sooner than it will from too much power. :rolleyes: