PDA

View Full Version : Hot Rod Magazine Power Tour 2005

Donny Carlson
11-21-2004, 08:25 PM
This is early to start this thread, but I'll be updating it as it gets nearer.

June 8, 2005 (it's a Wednesday) at the Birmingham Race Course

3000 cars expected, with a fantastic Cruise Night.

Advance registration is already online and active at www.hotrod.com (http://www.hotrod.com)

I know I'll be there, and I hope to see a lot of Souther Marauder owners!!

TAF
11-21-2004, 08:27 PM
I think we should do "Breakfast in 'Bama"... :up:

Patrick
11-21-2004, 11:32 PM
Sounds like a fun MM day!! Looking forward to more details later.

Donny Carlson
11-22-2004, 12:19 AM
If you participate in the full tour (drive from city to city) the cost is $55 preregistered, but only $20 to participate in a single night's cruise.

Here's more info -

<!--StartFragment -->Hot Rod Magazine Power Tour Gears Up
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=150 height=113></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Customized Vehicles of Every Model and Description make the Ultimate Road Trip. HOT ROD Magazine, the world's leading automotive performance magazine for 57 years, announces the 11th Annual HOT ROD Magazine Power Tour presented by General Motors, June 4 -11, 2005. This traveling caravan of more than 3,000 customized cars and trucks - from classic hot rods, muscle cars and street rods to sport compacts and exotic street machines - is known as the ultimate road trip and is the largest event of its kind, not to mention an incredible visual spectacle. Participants and fans from throughout the country, and even internationally, will take part in the seven-day, seven-city trek celebrating a love of the automobile, camaraderie of the open road, and a range of festivities at each Tour stop.

Presented by General Motors and sponsored by Flowmaster Exhaust, this year's tour covers an average of 250 miles a day, starting from Miller Park in Milwaukee and continuing south before reaching a final destination at lOsceola Heritage Park in Kissimee-St. Cloud, FL. on June 11. Drivers, who come alone, with a friend or with families, may participate in a single leg of the Tour or drive the entire route. Those who complete the entire seven-day, 1500-mile journey are dubbed "long haulers" and enjoy special prizes and privileges.

More than a dozen highly customized concept and production vehicles from General Motors - accompanied by the GM Performance Division rig - will join the daily caravan of hot rodders and participate at each stop with a "Cruise Night" special exhibit.

"Each day the caravan of vehicles rolling through American towns is quite a spectacle," said HOT ROD Publisher Ira Gabriel. "People line the streets along the published Tour route to watch us go by. Many will never have the chance to see these kinds of vehicles. When the GM line of cars leads the pack, it always causes a stir with locals and participants alike. Here we have one of the world's largest automotive manufacturers pulling out all the stops with tremendous production and specialty vehicles not seen anywhere else."

For GM, sponsorship of the HOT ROD Magazine Power Tour has become an important tradition. "This is a vital way to connect with consumers on a grassroots level," said Craig Shantz, Manager Show and Events, Special Vehicles. "The Hot Rod Magazine Power Tour gives us the opportunity to showcase our commitment to quality and innovation across brand platforms to an audience that truly cares and understands. We are excited to showcase some exceptional vehicles at this year's Tour."

Each city stop features a host of activities such as special lunch gatherings at local points of interest and sponsored "Cruise Nights" that include everything from BBQs to entertainment. Festivities are free to participants as well as the general public and include hundreds of hot rods, manufacturer displays, product giveaways, and a Dyno Challenge that allows participants to see just how much horsepower is under their hoods. The 2005 HOT ROD Magazine Power Tour travels through the midwest and south of America with stops at some of the region's most exciting cities and destinations:<!--StartFragment -->June 4 Miller Park - Milwaukee, WI
June 5 Illinois State Fairgrounds - Springfield, IL
June 6 Indianapolis Raceway Park - Indianapolis, IN
June 7 Gaylord Opryland Resort - Nashville, TN
June 8 Birmingham Race Course - Birmingham, AL
June 9 North Florida Fair - Tallahassee, FL
June 10 Osceola Heritage Park - Kissimmee-St. Cloud, FL
June 11 return to Osceola Heritage Park for Long Hauler Award and Photo

In addition to HOT ROD Magazine, a host of other PRIMEDIA properties including HOT ROD TV, with host Dave McClelland, and other automotive titles will be in attendance supporting the Tour.

Pre-registration for the HOT ROD Magazine Power Tour prior to May 28 is $55. Registration includes a vehicle, driver and one passenger, plus all Tour stops and activities. Registration fee after May 28 and on-site is $65. For further information and registrationr visit www.hotrod.com (http://www.hotrod.com/) for details.

Silver_04
11-22-2004, 05:55 PM
I'd like to show up...that is if you'll let a Chevy guy join. Perhaps grandpa will let me borrow his MM for the event.

Paul T. Casey
11-23-2004, 02:37 PM
Bummer, I'm slated to leave the south on May 23 next year. I would try to convince Mrs. Casey to stick around for a few more weeks, but we arrive in Huntsville in mid January, so by the end of May, we'll probably have to get back home. A few of the breakfasts will be graced with our presence though!

Donny Carlson
11-23-2004, 09:03 PM
If you want to get a taste of what the 2005 Hot Rod Power tour will be like, Rides is showing the 2004 tour (with Christpher Titus) on thier show tonight, after Overhaulin. Next episode is slated for midnight, central (1:00 AM eastern) so set your vcr or TIVO's.

http://tlc.discovery.com/fansites/rides/episode/season2/episode208/episode208.html

Rides and Christopher Titus team up for one legendary road trip. It's an annual test that's also a party, and for over 18 years, it has separated the pretenders from the real deals in the worlds of hot rods, show cars and custom vehicles. The Power Tour is 1,100 miles of fun, endurance and dazzle. The owners of top custom cars make this 6-day run from Arlington, Texas to Green Bay, Wisconsin, showing their peers that their ride is more than just a pretty face — that it's a real car that can travel with the pack and get there with the rest of them.

It's an amazing sight when every small town along the way sees this parade of beauty, gloss, horsepower and muscle, all moving caravan-style through all kinds of weather and through any number of mechanical problems. Titus will be our guide, taking his own hot rod "Once a Knight" on the tour, talking it up with the other owners and drivers as the gang moves and parties from one town to the next. And it is a party, with some towns shutting down so they can meet and greet those on The Power Tour.
http://tlc.discovery.com/fansites/rides/episode/season2/episode208/gallery/208_hzoom03.jpghttp://tlc.discovery.com/fansites/rides/episode/season2/episode208/gallery/208_hzoom08.jpg

<!-- q n a --><!-- poll [ cogix ] --><!-- box [ more ] --><!-- end box -->

Donny Carlson
11-24-2004, 12:03 AM
One of the coolest cars on the show was this modified S-10 pickup that had a gas turbine engine out of a bell helicopter:

http://www.marineturbine.com/bike_images/image001.gif

The exhaust goes out of these huge pipes pointed upwards behind the cabin. According to the website of the owner, they ran on "hempoline" a mixture of hemp oil, ethanol, and lye which they say leaves an odor similar to fried chicken. Now, if they can make it smell like Williams' Bros BBQ, they'd have something.

This is kinda cool, because when I run on fried chicken, I leave an odor similar to 3 in 1 oil, methanol, and lye.

Silver_04
11-27-2004, 05:18 PM
Aww, this brings back memories. I skipped a day of highschool with some friends back in '96 to drive 8 hours from Indiana to Ohio to see the tour in Norwalk. So long as work permits, I'll see everyone there.

TechHeavy
11-27-2004, 05:39 PM
This is early to start this thread, but I'll be updating it as it gets nearer.

June 8, 2005 (it's a Wednesday) at the Birmingham Race Course

3000 cars expected, with a fantastic Cruise Night.

Advance registration is already online and active at www.hotrod.com (http://www.hotrod.com/)

I know I'll be there, and I hope to see a lot of Souther Marauder owners!!
Don't count out the rest of the U.S! I've got family in Mississippi. I've got it on my calender!