PDA

View Full Version : Header & Exhaust question for DR and Kooks

MMM2003
11-23-2004, 07:00 AM
I posted this in another thread, but I didn't get any response there. So I'm trying it as its own topic.

My next step in upgrades is a better exhaust, headers to be specific.

I have done some searches, but have come up empty with exactly what I'm looking for.

I'd like to know the following:

What is included in a "DR - Cobra Exhaust kit" and what is the cost?

What is included in a "Kooks - complete kit" for $1495?

I want to keep the stock exhaust (Muffler, Cat, tailpipes), since I don't want it too loud and don't have $1500 + labor for a new exhaust system, which doesn't need replacing right now. I want to look at it as a step-by-step approach on a budget.

Looking for a self-install for header, and possibly X-pipe.
Is this possible? What is the cost for either the Kooks or the DR.

I searched the Kooks website and see that they sell the items separately, but I'm still not sure where the kit prices come from and what they include.

Please keep in mind that I'm only looking for some general info here, not asking for performance comparisons or which is better.

Thanks for insight on this matter.

Peter aka MMM2003

FiveO
11-23-2004, 07:04 AM
The Kooks full kit includes the following:

Headers
Custom XPipe
High Flow cats
2 Magnaflow mufflers

You use the stock tailpipes up to the back of the new mufflers.

Can't say on the Cobra/DR stuff.

Anyone else?

SergntMac
11-23-2004, 07:13 AM
Actually, I own both kits right now, but my Kook's kit is on the garage floor.

Both kits supply a complete exhaust system up to the inlet of the muffler. Kooks adds Magnaflow mufflers, I suppose Dennis could add them to his kit as well.

BTW, DR sells both now, he's a Kook's dealer and I believe at a better price.

Good luck in your project.

MMM2003
11-23-2004, 07:30 AM
Actually, I own both kits right now, but my Kook's kit is on the garage floor.

Both kits supply a complete exhaust system up to the inlet of the muffler. Kooks adds Magnaflow mufflers, I suppose Dennis could add them to his kit as well.

BTW, DR sells both now, he's a Kook's dealer and I believe at a better price.

Good luck in your project.

SOooooooo, Sarge! What will you do with the kit you are not going to use? You can't have them both installed? Or do you have your own project car?

Thanks for the info so far!

RF Overlord
11-23-2004, 07:35 AM
What is included in a "DR - Cobra Exhaust kit" and what is the cost?Dennis's "kit" includes 2 Cobra manifolds that have been ceramic coated, and a custom-built X-pipe with new high-flow cats. You can't install just the manifolds alone, as the Marauder cat pipes won't bolt up. You could have some fabrication done perhaps, but you also won't get anywhere near the performance gain installing just the manifolds alone...it won't be worth it. As far as cost, it's a sort of unwritten rule that we try not to discuss that in threads...call the vendor directly.

I want to keep the stock exhaust (Muffler, Cat, tailpipes)
As Mac said, Dennis's kit bolts right up to the muffler inlet flanges, but new cats are part of the package.

Looking for a self-install for header, and possibly X-pipe. Is this possible?Yes, it's do-able...probably a lot easier if you have access to a lift, but certainly possible.

I don't know much about the Kook's system, but I believe Dennis's is a little less money for parts, and apparently a lot less for installation, if you have to pay for it. I'm not sure you could do the Kook's headers without a lift...

maraudernkc
11-23-2004, 07:55 AM
The Kooks kit is going to be louder alot because of the mufflers and the thin wall tubing on the header. They booth will not get you a ton of HP on a stock MM but when teamed up with any blower than you will get an extra 24 ponies or so.I perfer the DR kit because it is not as loud and has more of the factory look.

SergntMac
11-23-2004, 07:58 AM
SOooooooo, Sarge! What will you do with the kit you are not going to use? You can't have them both installed? Or do you have your own project car? Thanks for the info so far!
I've got a project underway right now, upgrading my engine internals for reliability on a conservative budget. Nonetheless, I've been using the DR Cobra exhaust for over a year now and I am very pleased with performance. But, Dennis ran a group buy on the Kook's and I decided to get in on that. Hopefully, I'll be done my mid December and once I'm done, I'll have an answer to the one question no one has answered yet...How much power difference between the two kits?

BTW, the exhaust/cat/X pipe of the Cobra kit is all one piece, preassembled. The Kooks is not. The Cobra kit is eaiser to install, it will take about two hours or so, and any muffler shop should be able to do it for a reasonable cost. The Kook's require more time and labor, maybe 5 to 6 hours? I'm not sure, but I will be finding out.

CRUZTAKER
11-23-2004, 08:08 AM
Hey Peter, this is the only pic of the entire KOOKs kit uninstalled that I could find. Look in the gallery in the mods section, there is an entire folder for KOOKs. The set below belongs to Fat Bastid and he had them done in black, but atleast you can see what the kit looks like.

Read the posts in the KOOKS forum here at mm.net. All the info is there.

If you want POWER and better sound, the KOOKS is the best hands down.

http://www.mercurygallery.net/mmnet/data/500/434pipes-med.JPG