PDA

View Full Version : Shaker Hood?

LightningVic
01-30-2003, 01:38 PM
I am thinking about getting that Shaker Hood from Classic Industries. It will bolt on, I just have to find a reliable shop to cut a hole in my hood to make it look good. I know a few lightning guys by me that did the same thing as they did theirs before the shaker compatible hood came out for their trucks (is there one out now? or does every lightning with a shaker hood just have a hole in their hood).
Thoughts, Comments, feedback?
Blake Stewart
Sold lightning engine, now thinking about Twin screw superchargers for $#(%$ and giggles

O's Fan Rich
01-30-2003, 03:04 PM
Of course it is your car, but I don't think I'd go that route. If it's the same one the use for the Mustang , it may look small on our cars. I was thinking that a ducted ram air approach with the scoops under the bumper might be nice.

jefferson-mo
01-30-2003, 03:18 PM
Hey Lightning funny you should mention this........a guy I work with has an '03 Mach 1 and we were looking at the scoop and how it works and I thought...hmmmm.........:confu sed:

But then I looked up the parts required and saw the prices:eek:

well maybe later:uzi:

as far as the hole in the hood goes, Ithink our hoods are aluminum so a good metal guy could maybe even put a little roll in the edges to make it look good:up:

LightningVic
01-30-2003, 03:30 PM
795 for the whole kit, and you would have to redo a couple of parts since they are made for mustangs which have the pass side intake track. Very Very doable, and since all of our cars come from the factory with that sort of powerbulge design that looks in my opinion F!@#ING AWESOME, I think the shaker hood would look bada$$. I dont know if I am strange for a 19 year old, but I just think these are the best damn looking sedans ever. I do not have alot of money, I just get good deals on cars. I had a 1995 Crown Vic which I loved, a 1995 impala SS (inheirited it actually) that was totaled when some moron in a ford ranger splash rear ended me at 45 miles an hour. Apparently the cause of the accident was that my brakelights werent bright enough (I had covers on them) and the red light had some glare on it, it had nothing to do with the fact that he was twice over the legal alcolhol limit AND ON A CELL PHONE. Actually that was the cause of the accident hehe. He just tried to tell me it was those other 2 reasons. I also have a 1985 montecarloSS. I think that as far as 2 door sport coupes go, my SS is the best looking car ever designed, and as far as 4 door sedans go our vics and marauders are it. I should also point out I met a marauder owner 2 nights ago in South FL. Bought the second marauder in FL, the first went to a salesman at Palm Beach LM. They traded in their 96 impala SS in on the marauder. I am quoting them as saying "The impala sure beats our butts off the line, but 30 to 50 we wave goodbye." Also its a much better all around vehicle. I must say I loved my 95 impala, but at the same time I thought that the 95 Vic I had had better overall handling. The brakes still sucked on that car, but it was definately a much better balanced car. The motor did not come into the dash lol. Man it was a ***** changing plugs on that thing. My vic is a little down on power, but when im done with it woah momma. Itll Blow any impala out of the water. Wow I dont know how I got so sidetracked, but I have to say I really really like our panther cars. :)

jefferson-mo
01-30-2003, 03:59 PM
:up:

SergntMac
01-30-2003, 05:49 PM
I admire your energy, Lightning, please catch your breath?

Don't know what "power bulge" you refer to, my hood is wide, smooth, and mostly flat. I agree, that it begs for something else, perhaps something as demure and reserved as a low and wide cowl induction system that could conceal all of the wipers while providing cold air, or...maybe...dare I suggest...Louvers?

Hmmmmm...

I'm bold enough to consider pulling cold air into the motor from side draft scoops, like jets have intakes, only something light and easy on the front fenders, just behind the parking/turning lamps...inspired by Buick "portals", but with a slight edge to scoop cold air off the gentle taper of the nose of the car. Just two or three little openings in the fender, no big deal. Would also be cool, if just on the left fender only...

Shaker scoop? That's a bit too Starsky and Hutch for my tastes, thanks anyway.

RF Overlord
01-30-2003, 05:57 PM
3TA, you got a shaker hood on any of yours?

I think with the size of our hoods, it would have to be God's Own Hood Scoop or it would look too small...and I don't think our cams are lumpy enough for the whole concept...you can balance a quarter on edge on my manifold...

smith5365
01-30-2003, 06:06 PM
Again, I agree with Sarge. Something akin to a NASA hood scoop

Billatpro
01-30-2003, 06:53 PM
I really liked the "NOSE" scoop of the SS conversions, I think it might look cool on a MM, Yes?

TripleTransAm
02-08-2003, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by RF Overlord
3TA, you got a shaker hood on any of yours?

Not sure if that question was directed at me (I don't know if there's a '3ta' on here, haven't been on here long enough to know everyone) but in case it was intended for me...

Yes, on one of them... the '78.
They were only offered on Trans Ams (except the Turbo 4.9 models) from 1970-1981. And these shakers (functional only from 1970-1972) were rear-facing.

I did see a GM concept 2002 T/A (why a concept car based on a dead model??? hello???) all done up to look like a '70 (white with blue stripes) complete with shaker. Looked badass... can't say it would work on a Marauder, though, imho.

Perhaps a NACA style pair of scoops à la '73 GTO or '71 Mach 1? Maybe I'll photoshop something one of these days.

RF Overlord
02-09-2003, 07:02 AM
Yes, TripleTransAm, 3TA meant you...sorry, I saw someone respond to you like that and it's a lot faster to type than your whole nick...I figured you'd get the "on any of yours" shaker hood reference and a$$ume it was for you...
:rasta:

TripleTransAm
02-09-2003, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by RF Overlord
Yes, TripleTransAm, 3TA meant you...sorry, I saw someone respond to you like that and it's a lot faster to type than your whole nick...I figured you'd get the "on any of yours" shaker hood reference and a$$ume it was for you...

No need to apologize, I'll make a mental note of the '3TA' reference. Being new around here, it would be awfully embarrassing to go ahead and answer a question directed at someone else :P since I'm not 100% familiar with all the names around here yet (getting there, though!). Sorry I didn't recall the previous use of 3TA, I guess I was so overwhelmed by the influx of new information on this car when I signed up. My boss jokingly accuses me of overanalyzing anything I set out to do/purchase, but for some reason everyone always comes to consult with me for opinions whenever they have an important purchase coming up! :rolleyes:

So, yeah, anything goes, I'm easy... TripleTransAm, 3TA, Triple, TAx3, TripleTurd, etc. :D

cyclone03
02-09-2003, 09:22 AM
How about TTT?

cyclone03
02-09-2003, 09:24 AM
Have to echo the above,with the size of our hoods a scoop thats too small would look small.
Maybe the old Boss nine scoop?

TripleTransAm
02-09-2003, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by cyclone03
How about TTT?

;) That might cause problems if someone with 2 or 3 Thunderbird Turbocoupes ever decides to join up. (Two Thunderbird Turbos = TTT? ) ;)

(heh heh, this is getting off topic. ;) )

Back on topic, someone mentioned the shaker not really shaking on a MM's 4.6l (I'm assuming the current Mach 1 is afflicted with the same level of civility with its shaker setup). I have the solution.... :up:

Anyone remember the 'Tiger Button' option that briefly appeared on the 1970 GTO? It was a knob that controlled vacuum-operated baffles in the special mufflers, which allowed a quasi-open exhaust at the mere pull of a knob. Here's the same idea adapted to the MM. Listen closely, I will only say this once.

It only works for those of you who do not smoke in the car. It involves running a longer spark plug wire from the cylinder of your choice through the firewall and under the dash. The cig lighter is replaced by a switch... when it's time to impress the troops with your BadAss(tm) Marauder, you trip the switch and lose a cylinder. :rock:

Voila, instant lumpy idle. Lots of unburned hydrocarbons out the back for that authentic 60's smell, an authentic shake to your shaker... and best of all, you can claim that the glowing 'Check Engine' light on the dash is the result of the stock computer having trouble with all the added BadAss-ness in your Marauder, it's so radical. :burnout:

RF Overlord
02-09-2003, 10:02 AM
3TA, you're a sick man... :shake:

That's probably why you fit in here... :lol: :banned: :rasta:

merc406
02-09-2003, 11:57 AM
A cowl inducted hood would be a beter choice for the Marauder.

:cool: :coolman:

LincMercLover
02-09-2003, 07:22 PM
^what he said!^