PDA

View Full Version : Supercharger Oil change(???)

BillyGman
11-26-2004, 06:39 AM
here's a link to a thread on the SVT board that I found pretty interesting. Although, I'm not sure if it would be wise to use the oil that's suggested in that thread unless you first check w/Trilogy Motorsports and w/Eaton or their distributor Magnuson to find out for certain exactly what oil they use in their M112 Supercharger........I don't think that you would want to be mixing two different oils together in the supercharger, and I'm sure that draining all of the original oil out of it is close to impossible using the suggested method.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19080

Eric91Z
11-26-2004, 01:19 PM
Lidio or anyone from Trilogy have some input on this? Does the oil need to be changed? If so, how is it done.

I think the ProCharger P-1SC is a self contained unit and most Paxton's are, but they also have a schedule for changing the fluid and what fluid to use. And the Vortech's tap in the oil pan and use the motor's oil and would get fresh oil with each oil change.

What about the Trilogy? How often is it recommended and how is it recommended to be done?

Inquiring minds wanting to know.

BillyGman
11-26-2004, 02:35 PM
Eric, some of the info you've just inquired about is listed in the thread of that other board that I supplied a link to in my previous post, so you should click on the link. It isn't a very long thread either. It's pretty much to the point. it mentions changing the S/Cer oil once per year, and it explains how to do it. The Trilogy/Eaton S/Cer is a "self-contained" unit also. It's the same basic design as the S/cer that the 03 and 04 Cobra comes with.

Eric91Z
11-26-2004, 02:45 PM
I did read that thread and the annual change with the turkey baster and rubber hose.

Is there anything that came with the Trilogy kit that recommends regular oil change on the S/C? Just doesn't seem to be something mentioned much here and there seems to be quite a few people running the kit and some for a while now.

BillyGman
11-26-2004, 02:49 PM
Okay then. To answer your question, no there isn't any mention of the need ofr an oil change w/the kit. maybe it's really no big deal, and isn't even required. I dunno. There has been a number of people running Trilogy S/Cers that haven't mentioned anything about changing the oil like you've said. I thought I'd bring this up to get some input since the procedure for changing the oil sounds pretty simple enough.

Eric91Z
11-26-2004, 02:58 PM
And I totally agree with you on that. I would have a hard time imaging that the oil is good for the life the of S/C. I would love to hear some input from Lidio, someone at Trilogy, or similiar for what they think.

BillyGman
11-26-2004, 03:06 PM
I've just sent an e-mail to Trilogy Motorsports about this, as well as to Magnuson also which is the distributor for the Eaton S/Cers, and I've also sent an e-mail to Eaton too. I should have some answers by next week, and when I do I'll post back here with what I find. In the mean time perhaps someone else w/some more info will chime in here. I'm curious to know what Ford says about this. More specifically about the maintainence of the S/Cers on the 03 & 04 Cobras since they come from the factory w/the same S/Cer w/the exception being the snout and the intake.

TechHeavy
11-26-2004, 06:44 PM
I've just sent an e-mail to Trilogy Motorsports about this, as well as to Magnuson also which is the distributor for the Eaton S/Cers, and I've also sent an e-mail to Eaton too. I should have some answers by next week, and when I do I'll post back here with what I find. In the mean time perhaps someone else w/some more info will chime in here. I'm curious to know what Ford says about this. More specifically about the maintainence of the S/Cers on the 03 & 04 Cobras since they come from the factory w/the same S/Cer w/the exception being the snout and the intake.
Following this thread with interest. Let us know what you turn up. Thanks Billy.

Lidio
11-28-2004, 08:10 PM
I'm sorry guys, but my own MM with it's Trilogy is the first and only Eaton I've ever owned. To be honest I don’t know the oil change interval or maintenance for the blower unit it self.
I can say this... when I worked at a Ford dealer in the late 80's, when the T-bird Supercoupe was in production with the Eaton, there was no maintenance schedule that I could come up with at that time.

One thing I can say from what little bit I've watched on this subject is that the oil change schedule for the Eaton’s seems to be very long time. No one I know has ever hurt a Eaton on any thing I've ever heard of. Not even the old Supercoupes or the older Lightning’s now that they are getting to be 5 to 6 years old.

Hopefully Billy will get some responses to inquires.

BlackHole
11-28-2004, 08:29 PM
I know the old 89/95 SC Tbirds maintnance manual that came with the vehicle said you should change its S/C oil in or around 60/65,000 Miles they use the M90 Eaton and the 94/95's have an IC and the rest don't

BillyGman
11-28-2004, 08:31 PM
I'm sorry guys, but my own MM with it's Trilogy is the first and only Eaton I've ever owned. To be honest I don’t know the oil change interval or maintenance for the blower unit it self.
I can say this... when I worked at a Ford dealer in the late 80's, when the T-bird Supercoupe was in production with the Eaton, there was no maintenance schedule that I could come up with at that time.

One thing I can say from what little bit I've watched on this subject is that the oil change schedule for the Eaton’s seems to be very long time. No one I know has ever hurt a Eaton on any thing I've ever heard of. Not even the old Supercoupes or the older Lightning’s now that they are getting to be 5 to 6 years old.

Hopefully Billy will get some responses to inquires.I appreciate your reply Lidio as I'm sure that others do as well. From everything I'm hearing, I am by no means under the impression that changing the oil in the Eaton S/Cers once per year is considered mandatory in the least. However, I cannot say that I've yet heard from anyone from Eaton or Magnuson on this. Which BTW is the reason I've written to both of them this weekend. So I'll let everyone know what they tell me when they get back to me on this. Hopefully it will be soon. BTW, Jim just told me that he looked in his Dad's owners' manuals (his Dad just bought a new Cobra) and he found nothing at all in the SVT manual, nor in the standard owners' manual that mentions anything about the need to have the oil changed in the Eaton S/Cer that it came with.

Marauder386
11-28-2004, 09:36 PM
Had a '93 Bonneville SSEI...S/C'd...Eaton product as I remember. Changed the S/C oil in it every 10k miles...Pontywack schedule...

BillyGman
11-28-2004, 10:00 PM
Had a '93 Bonneville SSEI...S/C'd...Eaton product as I remember. Changed the S/C oil in it every 10k miles...Pontywack schedule...
Was that simply your preference to change it at that particular interval, or did the owner's manual call out for that?

Jerry Barnes
11-29-2004, 07:48 AM
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I have just talk to Mike Hewitt, from Eaton Supercharger, about your question. I had asked this question years ago and could not remember the official response, so I called again to double check. Mike said the following :

1. You do not need to change the oil in the supercharger casing. If there are no leaks in the casing, the oil should last indefinately.

2. If you notice a leak in the casing you should check the oil level and get the leak repaired. Please contact us in that case.

3. If you want, and it is not required, you can check the oil level about every 30,000 miles. It should be full to the bottom of the filler neck. If it is not full, then you can purchase a 4 oz. bottle of oil from :
Magnuson Products
3172 Bunsen Ave.
Ventura, CA 93003
(805)642-8833
(805)677-4897 FAX
www.magnusonproducts.com
www.magnacharger.com

Or you can contact Trilogy Motorsports at (313)336-6135 and ask for Renata. We will keep some of the oil in stock for our customers. We are also updating our web site so that you can purchase products directly on the web using the typical shopping cart arrangement online. That will be available in the first quarter next year when we add the other supercharger packages and shirts, hats, etc.

4. In reality, the oil should last forever in this seal unit, but for peace of mind you can check the oil level if you want to.

I hope this answers everyones questions. If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to contact me at the office. If I don't know the answer, I will find someone who does.

I hope everyone did not eat too much turkey, I sure did!

Have a good one!

Jerry

BillyGman
11-29-2004, 08:08 AM
Jerry, thanks for your response, and for your effort to contact Eaton about this matter. I guess that explains why the Ford owner's manual as well as the SVT manual for the 03 & 04 Cobras which are equipped w/Eaton S/Cers don't mention anything about oil changes for the S/Cers themselves. In a way, I guess it stands to reason that the S/Cer itself doesn't need any fliud changes since there isn't any internal combustion occurences going on inside there like there is inside an engine. Just like the rear end fluid doesn't need to be changed until atleast 100,000 miles of usage.

Marauder386
11-29-2004, 08:18 AM
BilyG, that was Pontiac's maintenance schedule. I always thought it was a ploy to get some $$$ out of us. Jerry's investigating really confirms it ! :mad:

BillyGman
11-29-2004, 08:23 AM
BilyG, that was Pontiac's maintenance schedule. I always thought it was a ploy to get some $$$ out of us. Jerry's investigating really confirms it ! :mad:Well, you never know. I wouldn't argue too much about that, however, since you're talking about a vehicle that was produced more than 10 years ago, perhaps it had something to do w/the design of the Eaton S/Cers being different back then, or maybe it was simply due to a different oil being used that wasn't synthetic.

Marauder386
11-29-2004, 08:50 AM
Well, therein is the rub Billy. I researched the oil back then and discovered that it was an indefinite usage oil..synthetic...told the S/M this and he STFU and never questioned my interrogations again after a service day in his shop. Guess he realized that some customers arent stupid.....

BillyGman
11-29-2004, 08:58 AM
Well, therein is the rub Billy. I researched the oil back then and discovered that it was an indefinite usage oil..synthetic...told the S/M this and he STFU and never questioned my interrogations again after a service day in his shop. Guess he realized that some customers arent stupid..... LOL..........