PDA

View Full Version : Question on t/c switch

FordNut
01-30-2003, 10:13 PM
What type switch is the traction control switch? Momentary rocker with return to center like the power pedal switch or rocker that toggles to one position or the other? What I'm thinking about is a nice place for a delta chip switch for 91/93 octane select.

Murader03
01-30-2003, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by FordNut
What type switch is the traction control switch? Momentary rocker with return to center like the power pedal switch or rocker that toggles to one position or the other? What I'm thinking about is a nice place for a delta chip switch for 91/93 octane select.

Nut! I put my switch down on the drivers side kick panel. It's outta the way, anyone working on the car won't see it, therefore, Ford won't know it's there. I can turn it off when going in for service, or switch to the 91 octane position when needed.

FordNut
01-30-2003, 10:34 PM
Sounds good... BTW, I may not need to "hide it" from the Ford service dept. I've found a mod-friendly dealer that will install the chip, gears, and Steeda pulleys for me and still honor my warranty. They're only about 10 miles out of my way and I know the parts guy so I can get him to order Ford or FMS parts for me at deep discount prices!

SergntMac
01-31-2003, 04:19 PM
Not sure what the FMC switch calls for with T/C, may be momentary contact controlling a relay, an of/on, or an off/low/high. (I used to know all that "spdt" stuff) Have to get a switch in hand to see. But, other switches may fit the bill (and the dash trim), like the up/down switch for the pedals, or the MC/relay for the rear defroster.

All you need the of the chip switch, is be on when you start the car, it can be switch off after start, but change won't take effect until you restart. That's why I think it's perfect for the chip.

Anyone let Mom or Dad drive the MM yet? WhoowheeBaby!

LincMercLover
01-31-2003, 04:25 PM
The switch is similar to the design of the rear window de-fogger. You press it once and it turns the system on, press it again, it turns the system off.

I don't EVEN want to know what my Dad did in my MM... :rolleyes:

RCSignals
01-31-2003, 04:52 PM
Has anyone with a non TC Marauder pulled their left panel to see if the TC wiring is there?

LincMercLover
01-31-2003, 05:04 PM
More of someone needing to go out and beat their MM's tonight huh?

jgc61sr2002
01-31-2003, 05:05 PM
Ford Nut The traction control switch is as you have stated and when TC is off, the switch it glows orange and and states OFF. John:)

martyo
01-31-2003, 05:32 PM
LML:

The rear defogger actually energizes a relay that acts as a switch for the rear defogger. When the car is shut down, the relay is de-nergized and returns to its "open" state until the next tiome the car is started AND the switch is pressed. This is because of the current the switch would otherwise have to handle would be significant, requiring a (much) heavier switch. This is the same concept as a starter solenmoid. Essentially, a switch working another, heavier switch.

I believe the TC uses the same approach, but for different reasons. In teh case of the TC it is doen so that the normal state is with the TC operating; that way you don't have to think about which state it is in (i.e. on or off) each time the car is started.

Got it??

SergntMac
02-01-2003, 08:47 AM
Agreed, Stan, I think we're all thinking the same thing.

Controlling the chip on-off doesn't require any additional current, the chip supplies what it needs. "On" requires a momentary completion of a circut, to be closed at ignition, and without that (circut open), the chip will not avtivate. After ignition, the state of the circut (open or closed) won't change the status of the chip, until the ignition is cycled off-on again.

Any momentary contact switch will do, right now I'm using the toggle that came with the switch. Reinhart also offers a drum key lock for higher security, but that seems extreme to me. This is why I suggested the T/C switch may be a good idea. If it's a momentary contact switch, all one has to do is push it while starting the car and the chip is on. Don't push it, the chip is off.

Not just an octane feature anymore, it also a neat way to control a "valet" feature, and before I forget, there is also an LED option on the chip, if you want a pilot light glowing ON too. Look here for the details of the chip;

http://www.reinhartautomotive.com/performancechips.ivnu

I made this suggestion a while back as a safety feature when others may be behind the wheel. I've already accidentially "brushed" the chip to an off state, but didn't know that until on the expressway, and it was a long ride in casual attire before I could pull over and restart. The speedo will be off, but only by reporting a higher speed that actually traveled, so, if stolen, she won't be putting on a show for the cops. I'd live with that trade off.

martyo
02-01-2003, 12:56 PM
Sarge: Although I do not have my car yet -- it is literally only a couple of days until I do, I am planning ahead. Did you do the chip yourself? I have a few ???'s if you did, but don't want to run on here if you didn't. Also, what if I do not want to do the chip and not the gears? Can Dennis set up the chip to give the right reading on the speedo? then, I believe when I do the gears later, I can have the chip reflashed. Is that correct??

SergntMac
02-01-2003, 03:39 PM
Stan...You're welcome to e-me if you wish.

There a very detailed "how to" here in our tech section with photos, you shouldn't have many questions after you read up.

If you do the gears with no chip, all you will have to contend with is a speedo reporting speed faster than you are actually driving. Doing the chip alone will not affect the speedo. Reflashing, is a question for Dennis.

martyo
02-01-2003, 03:52 PM
Sarge:

Thus, no new gears = no speedo problem, correct??

SergntMac
02-01-2003, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by SergntMac
If you do the gears with no chip, all you will have to contend with is a speedo reporting speed faster than you are actually driving. Doing the chip alone will not affect the speedo.

Okay, Stan, that settled I'm ready for your next question, fire away Bub.

martyo
02-01-2003, 08:48 PM
Oooops, sorry Sarge, I read it toooo fast the first time. Mea culpe!!

LincMercLover
02-02-2003, 10:01 PM
I was reffering to how the switch "opperates," as in how it pushes? Ya know, clickity click instead to pu****y push? Ahh... nevermind...

LincMercLover
02-02-2003, 10:02 PM
^Damn that bad word thingy!